Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 62nd Annual Grammy Awards (2020)

Manager
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)

by » Mon June 24th, 2019, 13:55

A Star Is Born will get a nomination as well

Legend
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)

by » Mon June 24th, 2019, 14:02

Quote Originally Posted by Ska8er View Post
    James Blake, Mark Ronson and Maggie Roggers could also have a shot although they haven't had a hit single.
    Nothing Breaks Like A Heart?
    That one also deserves some Grammy attention IMO, but I guess it won't happen.

Legend
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

by » Mon June 24th, 2019, 14:09

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike View Post
    he is a grammy darling and they owe miley a grammy at some point
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

by » Tue June 25th, 2019, 03:38

Works from the first 9 months of eligibility must be submitted by July 8th!

Submissions for 62nd Annual Grammy Awards Are Underway

Recordings from the first nine months of the eligibility year must be submitted by July 8.
    The clock is ticking on submissions for the 62nd annual Grammy Awards.

Voting and professional members of the Recording Academy and registered media companies have two weeks to submit recordings from the first nine months of the eligibility year for Grammy consideration. The first round of the online entry process opened Monday morning [June 24] at 9 a.m. PST and will close on July 8 at 6 p.m. PST.

A second two-week round of submissions is scheduled to begin July 17, but, the Academy says, that round "is reserved for July and August 2019 releases." So recordings released from Oct. 1, 2018 through the end of June 2019 must be submitted by the July 8 deadline.

That second and final round concludes on Aug. 2 at 6 p.m. PST.

The Academy previously announced the eligibility year will close on Aug. 31 for the first time in a decade. The close of the eligibility year was moved up a month after the date of the 62nd annual Grammy Awards telecast was moved up two weeks to Jan. 26, 2020. That change was made because the Grammys didn't want to go head-to-head with the 92nd annual Academy Awards, which moved up to the Grammys' intended date -- Feb. 9, 2020.

The Academy is hosting two training webinars this week, on Tuesday, June 25, at 11 a.m. PST and Thursday, June 27, at 3 p.m. PST. Members must register in advance at Grammy.com in order to participate.

While both Recording Academy members and registered media companies may submit recordings into the Grammy process, companies are not permitted to vote. Only voting members have that right.

This is only the second time in 44 years that the end of the Grammy eligibility year has been moved up from its traditional Sept. 30 cut-off. This also happened in 2009, when the eligibility year also closed on Aug. 31. The adjustment was made that year because the Grammy telecast was moved to Jan. 31, 2010, to avoid competing with the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Canada.

In the past decade, the Grammy telecast has moved to January two more times -- 2014 (Jan. 26) and 2018 (Jan. 28) -- again to avoid conflicting with the Winter Olympics. The eligibility year was not, however, adjusted in those two years.

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

by » Tue June 25th, 2019, 07:06

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike View Post
    It got decent airplay but peaked outside of the Top 40. As @Loveguru mentioned he is a Grammy darling so he could make it (weak competition also helps).
    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

by » Tue June 25th, 2019, 09:49

ASIB will probably get Album of the Year.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Superstar
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)

by » Tue June 25th, 2019, 09:55

This is such a weak period that these nominations might turn out to be quite surprising for the first time.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Legend
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

by » Tue June 25th, 2019, 11:59

Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    This is such a weak period that these nominations might turn out to be quite surprising for the first time.
    One of the weakest years in recent years and Taylor could sneak in and be nominated again for aoty at this rate
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

by » Fri June 28th, 2019, 07:04

I think "Old Town Road" might be submitted to Pop. It's not exactly a Rap song, and it's not exactly a Country song either - so I guess Pop would be the safest choice.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

by » Sat June 29th, 2019, 12:07

I agree with @beredy. In terms of new exciting music, this year had been notably lowkey - bar maybe Billie Eilish and 'A Star Is Born'. Therefore, I have the feeling that there will be a few surprising nominations like Norah Jones back in the day...
    ~ representing the LBC ~

Legend
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

by » Sat June 29th, 2019, 13:11

Quote Originally Posted by abi View Post
    I think "Old Town Road" might be submitted to Pop. It's not exactly a Rap song, and it's not exactly a Country song either - so I guess Pop would be the safest choice.
    I think they will be stupid to place it in pop because they only get one shot for a grammy in pop. Pop duo
    Forever Young

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

by » Sat June 29th, 2019, 13:28

It's not pop enough for the pop category, not country enough for the country category and not rap enough for the rap category, so yeah, it will be a compromise either way - they'll pick the category that gives them the best chance of winning, I guess.
    ~ representing the LBC ~

Legend
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

by » Sat June 29th, 2019, 13:38

Quote Originally Posted by theMathematician View Post
    It's not pop enough for the pop category, not country enough for the country category and not rap enough for the rap category, so yeah, it will be a compromise either way - they'll pick the category that gives them the best chance of winning, I guess.
    Tbh that would be rap.

There is not monster rap single this year so he would snag one title... even rap sung
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

by » Wed July 17th, 2019, 15:49

Ken Ehrlich Stepping Down as Grammys Executive Producer After 2020 Telecast

Ehrlich will be celebrating his 40th anniversary with the show next year.

Longtime Grammy producer Ken Ehrlich will return to executive produce the upcoming 62nd Grammy ceremony in 2020, but the show will be his last, the Recording Academy announced Wednesday (July 17). Following next year’s telecast -- Ehrlich’s 40th with the Grammys -- the show will be taken over by Late Late Show With James Corden executive producer Ben Winston, who has signed on to executive produce the 63rd Grammys in 2021.

“Ken's imprint on the Grammy Awards and the music industry are well-known and represent the kind of work and vision that legends are made of," said Recording Academy president and CEO Neil Portnow in a statement. Portnow will step down from his position at the Academy in August, another sign of the rapid and dramatic changes at the Academy.

He continued, "Having worked closely with Ken for almost half of his tenure with the show, I have seen first-hand the vision, extraordinary musical knowledge, and passion he brings to every minute of the process, and the spectacular results and memorable Grammy Moments that have been delivered.”

The announcement comes one day after the 61st annual Grammy Awards received four nominations, including outstanding variety special (live). It was the second year in a row the show was nominated in that category.

For his part, Winston received five Emmy noms Tuesday for his work on The Late Late Show With James Corden and two Carpool Karaoke spinoff specials.

Winston's connection with Corden is what first led him into the Grammy orbit. Corden hosted the Grammys in 2017 and 2018. Winston was credited as consulting producer on the 2017 telecast and producer on the 2018 installment. (Ehrlich was credited as executive producer both years.) Winston also produced and wrote special material for the 70th annual Tony Awards in 2017, which Corden also hosted.

"To have been a part of the growth of the Grammy Awards into the preeminent music awards show of our time has been one of the highlights of my professional life, and I'm grateful to the Recording Academy and to our partners at CBS for their support and for trusting my vision over the past four decades," added Ehrlich. “I have also been the happy recipient of having an incredible group of people who have worked on the show over the years, and of course the most amazing cadre of musical artists who bring their own creativity and brilliance to the Grammy stage year after year.”

Ehrlich, a nine-time Emmy nominee who produced his first Grammys in 1980, has worked on numerous other live shows and events over the course of his 50-year career, including the Emmys, the MTV Movie Awards and the Latin Grammy Awards. Additionally, he has produced televised music specials for artists including Beyoncé, Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, John Legend and Justin Timberlake and directed the Las Vegas residencies of Celine Dion and Mariah Carey. In 2007, he was honored with the Visionary Award by the Producers Guild of America.

Ehrlich has received six of his nine Emmy noms for his work on Grammy telecasts or the Grammy-branded spinoff, The Beatles: The Night That Changed America. The other three were for a 1995 PBS special, Eric Clapton: Nothing But the Blues, the syndicated TV series Fame (1984) and a 1983 children's program for NBC, Grandpa, Will You Run With Me?

Winston is a partner at the production company Fulwell 73 and has served as executive producer on The Late Late Show with James Corden since 2015. During his tenure, he's co-created and executive produced Carpool Karaoke: The Series and executive-produced Drop the Mic, both based on recurring Late Late Show segments.

”It's an absolute honor to be executive producer of the Grammys for 2021," he said in a statement. "I feel excitement and nerves in equal measure on taking on this role, but mostly I feel immense gratitude to the Recording Academy for this wonderful opportunity. I also want to salute Ken, who has done an absolutely remarkable job over the last 40 years."

Winston has additionally produced music specials for artists such as Justin Bieber, Bruno Mars, Sam Smith and Harry Styles and executive-produced live events including the Tony Awards, the BRIT Awards and the Global Citizen Nelson Mandela 100 Concert in South Africa headlined by Beyoncé and Jay-Z. He is the recipient of six Emmy Awards and has been nominated 22 times.

Deborah Dugan Selected to Succeed Neil Portnow as Recording Academy President/CEO: Sources
    With Ehrlich's planned departure, coming about six months after Portnow's imminent exit, two of the three principals who long oversaw the Grammy telecast will have left. That leaves just one member of that long-term troika standing—Jack Sussman, executive vice president, specials, music and live events, CBS Entertainment. Sussman has held that title since March 2006. He has been head of CBS specials since 1998, which extends back into the administration of Mike Greene, Portnow's predecessor as president/CEO of the Recording Academy.

The 62nd Annual Grammy Awards is slated to air Jan. 26, 2020, on CBS.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

by » Thu July 18th, 2019, 00:36

Hoping to see some noms for Madonna with Madame X - a stunning piece of work which deserves to be recognized.

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

by » Thu July 18th, 2019, 10:51

The Lion King: Gift is coming for ASIB's wig
    Cha Cha Instructor

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

by » Thu July 18th, 2019, 10:55

40 days left to the deadline and there's still not a clear frontrunner in any category.
    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Legend
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

by » Thu July 18th, 2019, 19:36

They are obviously keeping things down low because they failed once again when they tried making non-pop acts dominate when it turned out to be a huge pop year again. It's like they are always scrambling on trying to pull a big move to secure that the artists they choose to win are the ones who would be legendary to the general audience, but with the whole eight nominee rule in the General Field, they are even more lost than ever.

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

by » Sat July 20th, 2019, 10:52

Goodbye, A Star Is Born. Lion King The Gift is definitely getting AOTY Grammy.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

by » Sat July 20th, 2019, 11:52

Has an artist ever been nominated twice for AOTY in the same year?
    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

by » Thu August 8th, 2019, 14:47

So the only potential contender in August is Bon Iver, so the main contenders for AOTY will be:

Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next
    Beyoncé - Homecoming: The Live Album
    Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?
    Bon Iver - i,i
    Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga - A Star Is Born OST
    Khalid - Free Spirit
    Lizzo - Cuz I love You
    Solange - When I Get Home
    Tyler, the Creator - IGOR

I personally would like to see James Blake, Maggie Rogers or Anderson. Paak nominated but they hasn't managed to maintain hype. Chance disappointed so will probably be excluded. Beyoncé's The Gift could have a chance but it flew under the radar and Homecoming was better received. We'll also probably get a country act as well, with Eric Church, Maren Morris or Thomas Rhett being good contenders.

What do you guys think?
    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)

by » Thu August 8th, 2019, 15:06

Khalid? I mean his album wasn't received very warm by the critics and it doesn't seem like people care much about it either.

With how weak this year is I think a rock/indie band could sneak in for a surprise nom - something liek Vampire Weekend or The National. And something country for sure.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Manager
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)

by » Thu August 8th, 2019, 15:19

Cutie Taylor is a possible contender for August as well at least for a nomination. There haven't been many huge blockbuster albums released this period tbh. I could see Bruce Springsteen in there as well. I guess there will be at least one country album nominated as well. If Bey only submits Homecoming and leaves out The Gift then I think she will be nominated as well but otherwise I can see too many split votings.
    These should be locked in though I think as they have been highly successful:
    Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next
    Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?
    Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga - A Star Is Born OST

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

by » Thu August 8th, 2019, 15:56

Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    Khalid? I mean his album wasn't received very warm by the critics and it doesn't seem like people care much about it either.

With how weak this year is I think a rock/indie band could sneak in for a surprise nom - something liek Vampire Weekend or The National. And something country for sure.
    I only put Khalid there because his popular, same with Lizzo. Their albums aren't the strongest but they're doing well at the moment with their singles and the competition is weak.

I forgot about Vampire Weekend, good shout. They could get a slot as well.

I don't see Taylor getting a nomination. Reputation was ignored and her recent output is even worse.

If The Gift did well I could have seen Beyoncé being nominated twice.

It's just a really weak year, and there are 8 slots as well.
    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

by » Thu August 8th, 2019, 19:15

Agreed, it was a very weak year. I can see Lizzo and Ariana Grande getting a slot, but being honest, only Gaga/Cooper and Billie Eilish really released something that could be considered Grammy-worthy. Everything else was just there...
    ~ representing the LBC ~