Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The 62nd Annual Grammy Awards (2020)

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

by » Thu August 29th, 2019, 10:33

Taylor has returned to her sweet image and the album is performing exceptionally well both critically and commercially, so she is on lock for an AOTY nomination.

Ariana should get a nomination this year considering how well she's been doing, but not sure they're going to give her the win.

I don't mind Dreamville getting a nomination, but Cole's past 3 releases have been way more deserving.

Only 3 days left until the eligibility period ends...
    Last edited by Ska8er; Thu August 29th, 2019 at 10:35.
    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

by » Thu August 29th, 2019, 12:20

Agreed with everything that's been mentioned before. I don't remember a year that's been so weak before in terms of quality music.

Regarding Ariana Grande: Are her albums really 'great' as a whole? I remember many people saying that 'Sweetener' was essentially the singles + a bunch of fillers. Was 'thank you, next!' really that much better in that regard? Apart from that, the singles have, in part, really cringeworthy lyrics ('Thank you, next! I'm so f-ing thankful for my ex!') - don't see that winning a major Grammy award...

Regarding Billie Eilish: Her music did stand out in this weak year. I see that she's talented and her music fits today's teens zeitgeist, it seems. I would liken her to Alanis Morissette in the mid 90s in that regard, though Eilish's rebellion is more mellow. In fact, I can see her winning 'Best New Artist', but AOTY? Her music seems to leftfield and experimental for that, I fear...

Regarding Taylor Swift: I can see her getting another AOTY nomination, but a 3rd victory? Stevie Wonder did it, yes, but if Taylor Swift ever gets another AOTY award, I feel like it would be for something groundbreaking and truly impacting - and as much positive feedback 'Lover' is getting, it's more of a continuation of her '1989' sound.

My bet would be on Gaga & Cooper for AOTY. It's not innovative, but it's been a while since a soundtrack won ('O Brother, Where Art Thou?', which, ironically, was country-based, too!) and the academy was clearly waiting for Gaga to have her serious and elegant moment, which seems to be the case now.
    ~ representing the LBC ~

Superstar
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)

by » Thu August 29th, 2019, 12:36

Quote Originally Posted by theMathematician View Post
    Regarding Ariana Grande: Are her albums really 'great' as a whole? I remember many people saying that 'Sweetener' was essentially the singles + a bunch of fillers. Was 'thank you, next!' really that much better in that regard? Apart from that, the singles have, in part, really cringeworthy lyrics ('Thank you, next! I'm so f-ing thankful for my ex!') - don't see that winning a major Grammy award...
    Why not listen to the albums and make a judgement for yourself though? I mean, I can tell you that tun is great from start to finish, while Sweetener is more uneven but probably with higher highs than tun, but tun doesn't really have low moments while Sweetener has some... Choices. Then another person can come and say the opposite as there are quite a few people who prefer Sweetener over tun.

Regarding Billie Eilish: Her music did stand out in this weak year. I see that she's talented and her music fits today's teens zeitgeist, it seems. I would liken her to Alanis Morissette in the mid 90s in that regard, though Eilish's rebellion is more mellow. In fact, I can see her winning 'Best New Artist', but AOTY? Her music seems to leftfield and experimental for that, I fear...
    Well, Grammy's are trying to be more hip and go for the younger "viewers", so this is their opportunity.

Regarding Taylor Swift: I can see her getting another AOTY nomination, but a 3rd victory? Stevie Wonder did it, yes, but if Taylor Swift ever gets another AOTY award, I feel like it would be for something groundbreaking and truly impacting - and as much positive feedback 'Lover' is getting, it's more of a continuation of her '1989' sound.
    But they gave her Grammy's in two significantly stronger years for albums that are (arguably) not as good as Lover? They obviously lover her and America always loves a good "small town girl" doing things for the record books and it's a chance for a "historic" moment in Grammy's history they might not want to pass up.

My bet would be on Gaga & Cooper for AOTY. It's not innovative, but it's been a while since a soundtrack won ('O Brother, Where Art Thou?', which, ironically, was country-based, too!) and the academy was clearly waiting for Gaga to have her serious and elegant moment, which seems to be the case now.
    What's hindering ASIB is the fact that Shallow was eligible last year and won 2 categories out of 4 nominations. And they never cared to promote with another song despite having some contenders that could've worked just as well as Shallow, so Grammy's might stay away from ASIB so they don't look like they're stuck in 2018, even though the whole soundtrack wasn't out before the eligibility period. If they followed Shallow with at least as half as successful single then ASIB would probably be a frontrunner IMHO. I think it will have to stay content with a nomination.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

by » Thu August 29th, 2019, 13:02

I agree with @beredy. The main issue with ASIB is that it's been out for a while and they haven't pushed another single from it, whilst Shallow was already awarded. I still consider it a nominee, but not sure it'll win.

I don't see Taylor or Ariana winning either. Taylor doesn't deserve the win, whilst Ariana has a rocky relationship with them. Billie is actually the biggest contender in the main categories.
    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

by » Sat August 31st, 2019, 20:07

So it's officially the last day of eligibility. Very weak year, but these are who I think are going to be nominated in the general field:

Album of the Year:
    Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next
    Beyonce - Homecoming: The Live Album
    Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?
    Bon Iver - I, I
    Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga - A Star Is Born
    Lizzo - Cuz I Love You
    Taylor Swift - Lover
    Tyler the Creator - Igor

I could see Ariana and Lizzo being replaced by alternative/rock/country acts, but I think the rest are a lock for a nomination. Ideally I would like to see James Blake, Anderson Paak., Maggie Rogers, Gary Clark Jr. or Solange on this list, but I think Sheryl Crow, Maren Morris or Bruce Springsteen are more likely to sneak in.

Song/Record of the Year:
    Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next (SOTY) / 7 Rings (ROTY)
    Billie Eilish - When The Party's Over (SOTY) / Bad Guy (ROTY)
    Jonas Brothers - Sucker
    Khalid - Talk
    Lil Nas X - Old Town Road Remix (feat. Billy Ray Cyrus)
    Lizzo - Truth Hurts
    Post Malone & Swae Lee - Sunflower
    Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - Señorita
    Halsey - Without Me
    Taylor Swift - Lover (SOTY) / You Need to Calm Down (ROTY)
    Tyler the Creator - Earfquake
    Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved

Wow it's been a weak year. These two categories are very similar bar from a few different slots so I put them together. Not sure about Ariana because of last year's conflict with the Grammys, but she does deserve a place in these categories. Again, I would like to see Maggie Rogers (Light On) or Solange (Amelda) sneak in.

Best New Artist:
    Lizzo
    Lil Nas Χ
    Maggie Rogers
    Billie Eilish

Can't be bothered to look for fillers, it's between these.
    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Legend
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

by » Sat August 31st, 2019, 20:11

You forgot Kween - Caution
    Quote Originally Posted by SawyerHewitt View Post
    There's only one GOAT in our dictionaries and ppl should look it up.
    Best song ever written and sung, that is WBT. Periodt.

Legend
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)

by » Sat August 31st, 2019, 23:15

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney View Post
    You forgot Kween - Caution
    Yes, Mariah and Madonna would deserve a nomination for their return to form, both did a great job.
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Mon September 2nd, 2019, 23:55

Saying this off the bat, I am a Swiftie, so obviosly I hope Taylor wins something this time around. On the other hand I have a love-hate relationship with Billie's music, I like the vibe but it can seem that she's trying too hard to be edgy sometimes. Ariana is probably the best vocalist out of my main picks for nominations, but tu,n didn't really showcase her talent.

Another thing - as much I love Lady Gaga, I don't think she's getting nominated this year, and as much as I respect Beyonce I don't see her winning (at least any of the main awards.

I'm sure that the following acts are getting nominated for AOTY:
    1. Taylor
    2. Billie
    3. Ariana

Other acts that I'd like to see nominated (for AOTY) are:
    Mareen Morris
    Jonas Brothers (Their album wasn't well recieved by the critics so I don't see it happening, but it's been a weak year, and they made a biggest comeback of this decade so...)
    Lana Del Rey

Now to talk about the top 3 contenders.

1. Billie
    She's getting nominated for sure. My guess is that she'll either win big time or not win at all. Since people who decide on the winner are older this is easy to understand. They are either going to sacrifie their own preferences in order to make the awards more 'hip', which would lead to Billie winning many awards, or they are going to give her a lots of nominations (cause she's big) and give awards to someone else at the end. My predictions are that she's not winning any main awards except Best New Artist. She's most likely candidate to win that one.

2. Ariana
    No one can deny that Ariana has been having a surge of sucess lately. In my opinion Thank u, next was too shallow to win AOTY, but I'm certain she'll manage to snatch a nomination. Don't see her winning, don't want her to win with this album cause we all know she can do much better. Maybe next year I'll cheer her on, if she gets better songwriters. She's got a biggest chance to win in ROTY or SOTY.

Taylor:
    I love Taylor, Lover was beautiful, she's getting a nomination for AOTY, she will not win and I will cry. On more serious note, even though I'd like her to win, she probably won't - she already won AOTY twice and I don't think they'll give it to her again (not this year at least). Ariana and Tay will probably battle it out in ROTY and SOTY categories.

Overall, the three of them are only certain nominations, but I don't think any of them are going to win it. So, AOTY will be interesting category this year, and we might just all end up being surprised.

Other predictions:
    Lil Nas X and Lizzo will get a nom for BNA

OTR and Bad Guy in SOTY/ROTY

That's all as for now

Legend
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

by » Tue September 3rd, 2019, 01:44

Can we go back to 5 nominees in the main categories??? Last year was so damn tragic!!!!
    Diva!!!

Legend
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

by » Wed September 4th, 2019, 02:57

Billie is the Post Malone/Avril Lavigne of the year unless she pulls a big surprise. I still think she is the frontrunner for Best New Artist over Lizzo, that whole meme-worthy "self-love" funk/R&B/gospel version of Meghan Trainor image is way too campy, but if Meghan Trainor won, it's not impossible for Lizzo who has a lot of hype from BET, MTV, etc.

After choosing "This Is America" over "Shallow" last year, I don't know if a rapper will win in the General Field again considering "This Is America" was a fluke hit that fizzled out fast as compared to "Shallow" which even became bigger in 2019 after the Oscars.

I think Ariana will get a lot of nods but she will not win. After her attitude with the Grammy producers, I doubt that they will make another mistake of awarding her over Taylor Swift. Even the VMAs snubbed her, which is a sign that her quick reign at the start of 2019 isn't enough for General Field wins. Not to mention, that recent collab with Social House was a non-event, it's no "Thank U, Next" so it may be another indicator for that.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

by » Wed September 4th, 2019, 13:36

I think Lana will be nominated for AOTY. Her album is getting seriously acclaim and she has never been nominated before. Despite the late release, she has been releasing songs from this project since last year, so it's not like the era as a whole is brand new.

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

by » Wed September 4th, 2019, 15:59

Quote Originally Posted by UndercovaSista View Post
    I think Lana will be nominated for AOTY. Her album is getting seriously acclaim and she has never been nominated before. Despite the late release, she has been releasing songs from this project since last year, so it's not like the era as a whole is brand new.
    I was thinking the same, although she hasn't had the best track record with the Academy in terms of recognition and her success has been overshadowed by Taylor. Still, releasing so close to the cut-off date was a good move so there's still a chance. I believe she would fare better in the alternative categories than Pop.
    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

by » Wed September 4th, 2019, 16:26

Although she has always received positive reviews, this album is clearly her breakthrough moment as an universally acclaimed project. The Grammys notice these things, even when the said album is way less commercially sucessful than the previous effort. Example: Melodrama by Lorde. She’s getting in.

Predictions so far:

Billie
    Ariana
    Lana
    Lizzo
    Tyler
    Random country artist
    Artist no one is expecting
    Another commercial project: could be ASIB or Lover or another

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

by » Wed September 4th, 2019, 16:28

double post

Legend
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)

by » Wed September 4th, 2019, 16:28

Since "Lust For Life" got nominated for Best Pop Vocal Album, I also think it's pretty safe to say "Norman F-g Rockwell" will be nominated for AOTY. She finally deserves it.

So IMO these five are sure nominations for AOTY:

Ariana
    ASIB
    Billie
    Lana
    Taylor

Considering the weak year, I think Taylor has a serious chance of winning AOTY again. I'd love to see ASIB getting it but I don't think it will as it's already too old and by the time the Grammy air, Lady Gaga will most likely be on her next album. So a nomination will guarantee her a performer slot as well.
    Or a random album by a random artist no one saw coming.

Surprised Maren's album was mentioned above. I enjoy it and I really like her, but I don't think it's strong (or loved & successful) enough to get AOTY nom.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

by » Wed September 4th, 2019, 16:36

Can’t wait for OTR to win it’s deserved ROTY grammy and make people fume

Legend
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

by » Wed September 4th, 2019, 16:38

There’s no tractor trash category tho
    Quote Originally Posted by SawyerHewitt View Post
    There's only one GOAT in our dictionaries and ppl should look it up.
    Best song ever written and sung, that is WBT. Periodt.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by » Wed September 4th, 2019, 16:46

Quote Originally Posted by TIfan View Post
    Can we go back to 5 nominees in the main categories??? Last year was so damn tragic!!!!
    Agree, it makes it even hard to predict
    As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

by » Wed September 4th, 2019, 17:11

You guys are forgetting about Homecoming. Trying to not be biased and I know it's rate for live albums to be nominated for AOTY, but HDD and Forbes expect it to be nominated, and even Billboard wrote an article about it today.

Billie is the favorite obviously, followed by Taylor and Ariana.
    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Legend
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

by » Wed September 4th, 2019, 17:24

6 female nominations for AOTY??... Yea right. Plus, all of these are Pop. They are not gonna nominate all of these Pop albums.
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

by » Wed September 4th, 2019, 17:38

I mean they had already nominated 5 women at the same time when there were 5 slots, so I don’t see why it is so out of the mark to predict 6 when you have 8 spots now

as for Homecoming, unless it wins an Emmy and gets some hype, well...

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Wed September 4th, 2019, 17:46

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike View Post

Surprised Maren's album was mentioned above. I enjoy it and I really like her, but I don't think it's strong (or loved & successful) enough to get AOTY nom.
    Well, she was nominated at CMA´s for Album of the year so she´s definitely on her way. Besides that, I think she´s really loved by the blue-ribbon pannel. "The middle" nominations for SOTY and ROTY proved it last year. In fact, I wouldn´t rule her out in SOTY or ROTY (particulary for her duet with Brandi Carlile)
    Beauty is beauty, whether is black or white

Legend
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)

by » Wed September 4th, 2019, 17:50

Quote Originally Posted by Beautyisbeauty View Post
    Well, she was nominated at CMA´s for Album of the year so she´s definitely on her way. Besides that, I think she´s really loved by the blue-ribbon pannel. "The middle" nominations for SOTY and ROTY proved it last year. In fact, I wouldn´t rule her out in SOTY or ROTY (particulary for her duet with Brandi Carlile)
    Good points. To be honest, I didn't follow this years CMA so I didn't know she was up for AOTY there.

Well, I really like her and enjoyed the album, so I'm fine with a nomination of course. I'm also a huge fan of Brandi and she got some major love last year, so I also can see that collaboration getting some recognition.

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

by » Wed September 4th, 2019, 18:30

I also think Maren will get the country slot, unless they give it to Sheryl Crow due to her legacy status or a male artist because...well no need to explain why.
    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Sun September 22nd, 2019, 19:31

Honestly, I want Taylor or Lana to win. All sales aside, throw the charts in the water, **** the biased critics. The two of them deserve it the most for their albums. Lover is not my favourite Taylor album, but it is one of her best work, lyricaly, sonically, it was put together well - which is super hard to achieve with a body of work that has 18 songs. Sure, some songs weren't the best but it's rare that all of the songs on one album are equal, even with shorter albums.

Norman ******* Rockwell is a ******* masterpiece, and one of the rare examples of every song on an album being equaly amazing. Lana deserves the win.

I don't see Taylor winning, honestly, maybe some minor category, but she's not taking home AOTY (sad face) so I want Lana to win this.

Billie and Ariana. No. Billie is okay, her album was fine, singles were cool, but honestly as a whole it doesn't deserve an AOTY. Hope she wins something, maybe SOTY or a best new artist.

Tun was just not it. Every song sounds the same, every song is super repetetive. Counting out Bloodline, tun was, as an album, not the greates. Seriously, it wasn't bad, it was just super mediocore, something that dies out quickly and that definitely won't stand a test of time. Don't want that to get any major awards.