Thread: Should "Caucasian" people get Braids? What is Cultural Appropriation

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-02-19, 13:56

Quote Originally Posted by getback View Post
    the community seems to have issues with everyone who becomes successful, whatever race they come from. Just look at cardi b now, she cannot even understand why almost everyone is not happy for her being the first woman to win best rap album, when it was just last year when the community used to hail her as the 'underdog' (who was robbed of an award for her first single).
    off topic

Manager
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-02-19, 14:00

the community seems to have issues with everyone who becomes successful, whatever race they come from
    Replace community with GetBack and we have a true statement

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-02-19, 16:22

Quote Originally Posted by Westen View Post
    And blond hair is white thing, so?
    A quick google search will inform you that natural blonde hair isn’t exclusive to white people. You tried and failed.

Another thing. If you’re not part of “the community”, do not speak for us with your dumbass generalizations and opinions. PERIOD. Thanks.

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-02-19, 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by DOSSOME View Post
    off topic
    I swear I’m tired of that bullshit but let a bitch keep it too real and she’s banned for months

Manager
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-02-19, 16:30

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealest View Post
    I swear I’m tired of that bullshit but let a bitch keep it too real and she’s banned for months
    I knew you missed me when I was banned
    Stanning talent is my curse: Rihanna - Dua Lipa - Madonna - Ariana Grande & many other snatchedT Popstitutes
    #No Dusty Divas Allowed

Legend
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-02-19, 16:39

I think it's okay to be inspired from other cultures as long as you don't disrespect that culture. I don't think anyone wants to own "braids" thing, in most cases, i see that as a tribute or an inspired look.
    Mariah saved Xmas and Gaga is saving Pop and Hollywood.

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-02-19, 17:28

Erasing poc from their own culture is where the problem lays is how I understand it, i.e. having J.Lo doing a tribute instead of rejecting it or giving the spotlight to someone more representative.

I personally cannot understand fully the concept of cultural appropriation (or the black face in the case of that Gucci sweater and Katy Perry fugly shoes), but I do believe it is a real thing. I remember when someone called box braids the Kylie's (Jenner) braids lmao
    be kind to every kind

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-02-19, 17:40

I've noticed that too... she/he would say some ignorant sh.. about "the community" but the minute someone clocks ha, he eats a nice ban

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-02-19, 17:44

The nonsense he writes all the time....
    be kind to every kind

Legend
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-02-19, 18:43

Quote Originally Posted by DOSSOME View Post
    I've noticed that too... she/he would say some ignorant sh.. about "the community" but the minute someone clocks ha, he eats a nice ban
    Don't reply, report. That user keeps bitxhing about "the community" or the "urban crowd", and keeps baiting. Just report it and move on. They just want attention really.
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Legend
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-02-19, 19:27

A quick google search will inform you that natural blonde hair isn’t exclusive to white people. You tried and failed.

Another thing. If you’re not part of “the community”, do not speak for us with your dumbass generalizations and opinions. PERIOD. Thanks.
    A quick google search will also inform you that predominantly it is since it originated from Northern and Western Europeans (AKA white people), and that naturally blond hair of Melanesians (rare cases) is caused by a recessive mutation (studies from 2012).

I guess you didn't like the fact that I acknowledged double standards coming from you so you decided to be aggressive and rude.

Legend
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-02-19, 21:06

I think everyone should get green hair, but that's like only my opinion
    Waffles are checked cookies

Roadie
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-02-19, 22:57

Highlighting the word 'predominantly', Westen's argumentation sounds accurate. There are rare cases of so-called 'people of color' with blonde hair (e.g. the Melanesian tribe or some regions in South America and Northern Africa), although the vast majority of blonde people is of European or Anglophone origin.
    Last edited by theMathematician; 13-02-19 at 23:04.

Legend
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-02-19, 07:30

Blonde hair is not culture, it's genetics.
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-02-19, 09:23

Quote Originally Posted by DnBLover View Post
    Blonde hair is not culture, it's genetics.
    Tell 'em

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-02-19, 10:45

Quote Originally Posted by Erotica View Post
    Helena did it.
    #TeamFurzfrau

Legend
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-02-19, 11:05

As long as you respect it, then you do it. But I understand where the argument comes from when it comes to Americans. Black people who wear braids/cornrows are usually looked down because according to some people it's "ghetto" yet when white people do it, the media calls it "edgy". So I don't know, I guess it has to do with the intentions themselves.

On the other hand, it does kinda bother me that for example, some people (fake SJWs on the internet) like to come for Dinah Jane (the Beyonce-lookalike from Fifth Harmony, she's Polynesian) and the Request Dance Crew (the dancers from Justin Bieber's "Sorry" and Ciara's "Level Up" - the majority of them are Polynesian as well) for wearing braids/dreads in their music videos. Braids also exists in other cultures, such as Polynesian (which includes some Pacific islands), Tibetan (an area in China/Himalaya), Indigenous Australian & Melanesian (Eastern Indonesia, Papua New Guinea & some other Pacific islands) - they all have similar hair texture/natural curls except for Tibetan I think. So yeah, it annoys when people do that thinking that they're appropriating another culture while they're probably just embracing their heritage.

So yeah, living in Indonesia, I'm used to see people from the eastern part of our country to rock braids/dreadlocks (example) so the first time I read the news about it becoming an 'issue' in the States initially really surprised me but now that I've learnt what about and why it's becoming such an issue now, I really understand where they're coming from.
    Last edited by abi; 14-02-19 at 11:12.

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-02-19, 20:59

Cultural appropriation is defined as as the adoption of elements of one culture by members of another culture. How it differs from cultural exchange, is that it is members of a dominant culture appropriating from a disadvantaged minority culture.
    Do I have a problem with white women wearing their hair in braids or dreadlocks? Absolutely no, everyone should have the freedom to wear their hair how they want. What I do have a problem is people who use parts of that culture in a way that offends or disrespects, and using their culture to further their privilege.

Can I also add that I am f*cking sick of the argument about black women straightening their hair, or changing their hair colour. Can we take a moment to realise that the fundamental difference, here, is that black women who wear their hair straight often do it as a means to fit in and so not to stand out. Women of colour are often told by employers, the media etc. that their hair is unprofessional and not the standards of western beauty. In this example, the black woman is not adopting elements of another culture for "fun" or out of choice, but in order to avoid discrimination by the more dominant group. It comes down to the argument of cultural power.

Cultural sharing is a fantastic thing, and opens us up to other walks of life. It all comes down to respecting the culture, if we choose to adopt parts of it into our lifestyles, and not benefiting from it in a way that can disadvantage members of the respective cultures.

Legend
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-02-19, 21:04

@UKMusicLova, did you ever watch Nappily Ever After on Netflix? Your comments reminded me of that movie!

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-02-19, 21:08

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    @UKMusicLova, did you ever watch Nappily Ever After on Netflix? Your comments reminded me of that movie!
    Oooo no I have not. I need to check it out!

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 15-02-19, 07:10

Quote Originally Posted by UKMusicLova View Post
    Cultural appropriation is defined as as the adoption of elements of one culture by members of another culture. How it differs from cultural exchange, is that it is members of a dominant culture appropriating from a disadvantaged minority culture.
    Do I have a problem with white women wearing their hair in braids or dreadlocks? Absolutely no, everyone should have the freedom to wear their hair how they want. What I do have a problem is people who use parts of that culture in a way that offends or disrespects, and using their culture to further their privilege.

Can I also add that I am f*cking sick of the argument about black women straightening their hair, or changing their hair colour. Can we take a moment to realise that the fundamental difference, here, is that black women who wear their hair straight often do it as a means to fit in and so not to stand out. Women of colour are often told by employers, the media etc. that their hair is unprofessional and not the standards of western beauty. In this example, the black woman is not adopting elements of another culture for "fun" or out of choice, but in order to avoid discrimination by the more dominant group. It comes down to the argument of cultural power.

Cultural sharing is a fantastic thing, and opens us up to other walks of life. It all comes down to respecting the culture, if we choose to adopt parts of it into our lifestyles, and not benefiting from it in a way that can disadvantage members of the respective cultures.
    AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING post here

Legend
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 16-02-19, 00:58

This is one of the main reasons why black pipo turned on Whitney in the late 80s:

Quote Originally Posted by SawyerHewitt
    The raw emotion Kween conveys when belting out WBT's climax>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    A MOMENT IN MUSIC HISTORY.

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-02-19, 07:33

I love the fact that people embrace each other’s culture. Even if it includes braids.
    Cultural appropriation is only suited when others oppose those doing it (and also can’t explain why it’s exclusive to their culture).
    | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-02-19, 07:35

This however goes beyond cultural misappropriation

| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |