• cheapthrills
            Administrator and Site Supporter
            • 08 Jul 2016

Comment

• crystalphoenix
              Site Supporter
              • 29 Nov 2007

Originally posted by cheapthrills
              I don't think that's a minority opinion re: Bloom. I prefer Bloom to My My My now myself. My My My benefited from being the first single, which usually helps because that's when I'm thirstiest for artists I like. Bloom is the better song.
              Ah, I'm glad to hear that! I guess I just got that impression after seeing "My My My!" rank higher than "Bloom" on Jake's and Akini's countdowns too, but you make a great point about the lead-single-effect.

I love that you're willing to highlight material that may be a year or more old, as long as it was "new" to you. I had that experience with older CHVRCHES albums (especially Every Open Eye) last year. The "polka" mention in your write-up piqued my interest, and "Whatchugot" really is a lot of catchy, flirty fun!
              I forgot that "Ocean" had such a strong run on your chart! There seems to be a fair amount of consensus around here regarding Martin's more recent collaborative singles over-shadowing his earlier EDM offerings like "Animals." Granted, "Animals" was the ONLY Martin single I knew before "In The Name Of Love" came along
              Like you mentioned, "Ocean" really lives up to its title with the soothing, cleansing effect it has on listeners. Makes me feel like I'm just gently drifting along on open waters...
              Although I liked NTLTC well enough when it first dropped (and was definitely captivated by the video), I had a suspicion that it might wear off me fairly quickly...instead, its empowering, encouraging message kept me coming back to it time and time again throughout the year. It truly can lift you up when you need it.
              Ha, damn, "The One" really is like a time machine to 2002ish The way she incorporates other numbers into the cliché of "The One" is pretty clever too: "I'm the one, you're chasin' 2, 3, 4, 5..."
              last.fm​ ❖ Top 30

Comment

• cheapthrills
                • 08 Jul 2016

[MENTION=17613]phoenix98[/MENTION] - Thanks for your comments I'm impressed you checked out the songs that were new for you! I used Whatchugot for FSC, and it did pretty well. Probably one of my favorite discoveries of 2018 - there was a three months were I was obsessed with her. I'm definitely awaiting her next release.

Ocean did kill it - I forgot it had a strong run too though I was shocked it nearly finished in the top ten (it missed out by five points.) NTLTC was a grower for me as well, even though it got a high debut. It was unfortunately against some of the strongest competition it could have had.

I wish I could find the studio version of The One on youtube - despite making it to New Music Friday, I can't find anything on it!

Comment

• cheapthrills
                  • 08 Jul 2016

Comment

• cheapthrills
                    • 08 Jul 2016

Comment

• cheapthrills
                      • 08 Jul 2016

Comment

• cheapthrills
                        • 08 Jul 2016

Comment

• cheapthrills
                          • 08 Jul 2016

Comment

• cheapthrills
                            • 08 Jul 2016

This is my 7777th post! Thanks to everyone who followed along.

Comment

• cheapthrills
                              • 08 Jul 2016

This concludes the countdown. Hope those of you followed found some songs you like.

Comment

• crystalphoenix
                                Site Supporter
                                • 29 Nov 2007

Originally posted by cheapthrills
                                I wish I could find the studio version of The One on youtube - despite making it to New Music Friday, I can't find anything on it!
                                Ah, yeah, I've had that problem with some of my weekly No. 1's too (where the label yanks down any uploads of the studio version on YouTube, leaving only pitched/sped-up versions or live performances). That approach really doesn't make sense to me in the streaming-centric music market of 2019.

Although I haven't gotten fully swept up in A Star Is Born hype myself, it's always satisfying to watch an artist you love succeed, and this project has been one HELL of a triumph for Gaga! "Shallow"s recent coronation on the Hot 100 was wonderful to behold (as much as I love Ari, five weeks was MORE than enough for "7 Rings," and it'll probably rebound anyway...)
                                "Guatemala" was No. 1 when I first commented on your weekly chart, so seeing it here takes me back <3 Memories...
                                I owe Akini's cheerleading for helping me see the light with "I Like That." It made a (very) modest No. 19 debut on my chart, but now stands as my second-most-played Dirty Computer track.
                                • "God Is A Woman" is similar to "This Is America" for me, in the sense that the video really fleshes out Ari's ideas and sends much clearer, impactful messages than the song manages on its own. Although GIAW didn't have the same replay value for me as many of her other hits, it was still awesome to watch it earn Ari a new level of respect among people who had previously dismissed her, and win over tons of new fans for her in 2018.
                                • Speaking of wining over tons of new fans, Janelle certainly did the trick with "Make Me Feel" (and the DC era in general) last year. Both the song itself and the video for MMF are pretty exceptional, and REALLY ignited my interest in her. Until Akini's chart encouraged me to check out "Cold War," I'd gotten the impression that Janelle might be a tad too experimental/avant-guard for me (based on what little I'd read about her and the Metropolis concept albums). As it turns out, she can concoct material that's plenty accessible, while still being genre-blending and thought-provoking. I'm incredibly charmed by and just generally in awe of her now (as an artist, and what I've come to learn about her as an individual too, especially as an activist).

Thanks for taking us on this magical musical journey through your 2018, cheapthrills!

last.fm​ ❖ Top 30

Comment

• cheapthrills
                                  • 08 Jul 2016

Originally posted by phoenix98
                                  Ah, yeah, I've had that problem with some of my weekly No. 1's too (where the label yanks down any uploads of the studio version on YouTube, leaving only pitched/sped-up versions or live performances). That approach really doesn't make sense to me in the streaming-centric music market of 2019.
                                  I really don't get why you'd have a song on New Music Friday not represented with at least a lyric video. It's just the strangest thing. The studio version is better than the live version. She does have a song called Lois Lane I enjoyed too though it didn't chart for me.

Although I haven't gotten fully swept up in A Star Is Born hype myself, it's always satisfying to watch an artist you love succeed, and this project has been one HELL of a triumph for Gaga! "Shallow"s recent coronation on the Hot 100 was wonderful to behold (as much as I love Ari, five weeks was MORE than enough for "7 Rings," and it'll probably rebound anyway...)

I do think this is the last time we'll ever see Gaga at #1 unfortunately, so I'm really trying to enjoy seeing her at the top this week. I was so perched. I follow simmfierzig on twitter and he had the predicitions between the two quite close. And I was Team Gaga since Ari already had a nice long run with 7 Rings. But that OScar performance is iconic, and the song is clealry now one of the biggest song sin her canon - so deserved. I wish I could see her in Vegas, but the tickets are so damn expensive. I am going to the UK this spring and the tickets to the UK were about the same cost as a Gaga ticket.

"Guatemala" was No. 1 when I first commented on your weekly chart, so seeing it here takes me back <3 Memories...[FONT=verdana]
                                  Really? It wasn't during Make Me Feel's run? That's good. You would have gotten bored seeing it at the top for months on end.

• "God Is A Woman" is similar to "This Is America" for me, in the sense that the video really fleshes out Ari's ideas and sends much clearer, impactful messages than the song manages on its own. Although GIAW didn't have the same replay value for me as many of her other hits, it was still awesome to watch it earn Ari a new level of respect among people who had previously dismissed her, and win over tons of new fans for her in 2018.
                                  I understand this - for me, her first singles on both these last two albums appear to be songs that continue to get the most play for me. Though GIAW got more play in 2018, it's faded. I still love the song and the amazing video. Speaking of which, Ari killed EVERY video last year - she better be up for a Video Vanguard award from MTV soon, even though people don't watch those awards much anymore.

Speaking of wining over tons of new fans, Janelle certainly did the trick with "Make Me Feel" (and the DC era in general) last year. Both the song itself and the video for MMF are pretty exceptional, and REALLY ignited my interest in her. Until Akini's chart encouraged me to check out "Cold War," I'd gotten the impression that Janelle might be a tad too experimental/avant-guard for me (based on what little I'd read about her and the Metropolis concept albums). As it turns out, she can concoct material that's plenty accessible, while still being genre-blending and thought-provoking. I'm incredibly charmed by and just generally in awe of her now (as an artist, and what I've come to learn about her as an individual too, especially as an activist).
                                  I missed Janelle's very early work, but Cold War in 2010 was the song that got my attention. It wasn't until the Grammys the following year that I heard Tightrope, which I think was her first early hit. But the fact that she remained so under the radar really perplexed me - like why are people not here for Janelle? It was so satisfying to watch her break out last year, and with work that was so personal. For me, Dirty Computer is probably the album of the decade.

Speaking of which, it should be interesting to see the year-ends this year! Not only will there be best of 2019 countdowns, but best of decade countdowns!

Thank you again for commenting - it's always nice to have someone invested in your lists!

Comment

• JSparksFan
                                    Moderator and Site Supporter
                                    • 24 Jul 2009

"All the Stars" is a beautiful song, with an even more gorgeous video, and filmed for an even more phenomenal movie!

"High Horse" is quality country-pop. "Thank U, Next" has a fantastic message, and I love how it inspired so many hilarious memes. "I Like It" is overrated.

"Twice" is absolutely stunning. It's a classic Christina ballad, brimming with melodrama. I am one of the many who believes Bey should have been left off the "Perfect" remix.

"Pynk" is good. "Palo Santo" is gripping. "And I'm Leaving" was a solid discovery for me, too.

"Girls Like You" is completely unspectacular. "My My My!" was certainly a big awakening moment for Troye as an artist. Up to that point, it was the best thing he had done, then "Dance to This" came along and eclipsed it.

I think "This Is America" is a poor song. Totally agree with everything you wrote in the "Sanctify" write-up. "Sanctify" is my favourite Y&Y song, by the way. "Happier" is a big grower.

"Americans", to me, is the summation of the Dirty Computer messaging. I know I technically didn't give it a perfect rating, but I can't really find fault in it, and its lyrics do so much for me!

"Ocean" is good, but it's high here!

I feel like the GP preferred "All the Stars", but "Pray for Me" was firmly my Black Panther favourite early on. It is an anthem, an absolutely unapologetic, self-assured, blind-commitment-to-the-cause anthem.

"No Tears Left to Cry" grew on me a lot over the last two months. I don't think I was mentally ready for its message in 2018, but I'm completely embracing it now.

That bellow in "Shallow" is among Gaga's career highlights. "I Like That" is a big Dirty Computer highlight for me. Like you, it's my second-favourite track from the LP.

Interesting! Carly, Jake, you, and I have each ranked "God Is a Woman" #2 on our year-end charts! It's crazy how much so many folks adored it, but I don't think any UKMixer actually ranked it #1 on his or her year-end lists. Well, I have to say that you've covered the pivotal points in your write-up; I just need to add that I never really thought Ari was capable of such a stunner.

No other song could've been #1 here. "Make Me Feel" is to you what "Crystallize" is to Tansike, what "We Found Love" is to Paul, what "Titanium" is to Marc, and what "Breathin" is to me, so I get it.

Great countdown!
                                    Akini's Tribute to Donna Summer [#6]
                                    Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Beautiful Things
                                    AlbumClash 2.0 [Kylie Minogue vs. The Libertines]
                                    Retro AlbumClash 2.0 [Katy Perry vs. No Doubt]

If honesty matters to you too much, the muscles of your jaws and neck will be forever knotted and your heart will crack. The wishes of business, the wishes of the clock, are all bigger than you. Bigger than humanity. Yielders are survivors. To yield is to be strong.

Comment

• cheapthrills
                                      • 08 Jul 2016

So many notes on the songs, so I'll just comment back on a few. Thank you for all your comments

Originally posted by JSparksFan
                                      "Twice" is absolutely stunning. It's a classic Christina ballad, brimming with melodrama. I am one of the many who believes Bey should have been left off the "Perfect" remix.
                                      I need to go back through her last album. I don't think I gave it nearly the chance it deserved because that first single I thought was terrible. But Twice is such a mature work from her. I was happy to bring Christina back to my chart. She'd been gone so long (2010 since her last solo song to chart).

Totally agree with everything you wrote in the "Sanctify" write-up. "Sanctify" is my favourite Y&Y song, by the way. "Happier" is a big grower.
                                      It really has been excited to see gay issues received on such a mainstream level. Unfortunately, even a song stating one man's love for another is by its nature political because 99% of what's out there is still about heterosexual romance.

"Americans", to me, is the summation of the Dirty Computer messaging. I know I technically didn't give it a perfect rating, but I can't really find fault in it, and its lyrics do so much for me!
                                      So true. Make Me Feel is a sexual awakening and I Like That is a personal awakening, but Americans is taking those internal dynamics and making them external, trying to impose a similar awakening in society. I will never stop admiring her vision.

"Ocean" is good, but it's high here!
                                      I was a little surprised as well. Doing the chart on points benefits songs that kind of linger, even if they aren't immediate favorites.

Interesting! Carly, Jake, you, and I have each ranked "God Is a Woman" #2 on our year-end charts! It's crazy how much so many folks adored it, but I don't think any UKMixer actually ranked it #1 on his or her year-end lists. Well, I have to say that you've covered the pivotal points in your write-up; I just need to add that I never really thought Ari was capable of such a stunner.
                                      Wow, what a funny observation! Almost every pther year, she would have been #1 with her stats - 8 weeks at #1 and 14 in the top 10! She would have even beat Cheap Thrills in 2016. [/quote]

No other song could've been #1 here. "Make Me Feel" is to you what "Crystallize" is to Tansike, what "We Found Love" is to Paul, what "Titanium" is to Marc, and what "Breathin" is to me, so I get it.

Great countdown!
                                      I love your end line. I'd be proud to have Make Me Feel being a signature song to define me.

Thanks again, Akini.

Comment

Working...