Thread: Madonna - Papa Don't Preach

Legend
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)

by » Fri March 1st, 2019, 19:46

I can't believe there isn't a thread for this iconic song. The video and intro are so iconic.

Cha Cha Instructor

Legend
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)

by » Fri March 1st, 2019, 20:37

Although he didn't get any credits, Fred Zarr came up with the brilliant intro. (He worked as a musician on more Madonna songs and co-produced many of Debbie Gibson's early work.)

The video was a bit of shock first time I saw it. It was her first video with short hair.
    My Instagram... - Click here

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

by » Fri March 1st, 2019, 21:01

This song is always so great to listen to and never gets boring. I love her performances of that one, for example that one from Blond Ambition, so perfect.
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Legend
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

by » Fri March 1st, 2019, 21:05

I love this song and the intro is so awesome!
    the video and look is so iconic! she seemed like two diferent people in the video!
    "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

by » Fri March 1st, 2019, 23:56

Love it. Everything about it so just so iconic, from the intro, to the T-shirt, to the single cover, to the actual subject matter.

I think we all agree she was just a brilliant popstar back then (as oppose to an artist) but I think Live To Tell and this indicate what was about to happen. It’s a great pop song, but in terms of her evolving artistry it’s all here.

I also love her vocals here too - she really shows her vocal power and adds a bit of theatricality into it too... that whole pleading growl thing she does is just perfect.

Sadly, Madonna’s fell out of love with it and hasn’t done a great version of it live since 1990.

Legend
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

by » Sat March 2nd, 2019, 00:42

I agree on every point, sadly the only time she really took it to another level was on the blond ambition tour. It deserves a comeback in style.
    "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

by » Sat March 2nd, 2019, 02:22

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMale View Post
    I agree on every point, sadly the only time she really took it to another level was on the blond ambition tour. It deserves a comeback in style.
    I suppose a 60 year old woman singing a song to her dad about being knocked up is potentially asking too much of Madge

I didn’t mind the MDNAT version but it was just too short. It was mostly the album version too. But I think she only included it because it worked thematically in that entire section - she’s basically talking to God/Priest and confessing the Gang Bang murder and never mentions a baby.

Legend
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)

by » Mon March 18th, 2019, 02:42

This is brilliant - one of the best songs ever.
    Do we settle for the world as it is, or do we work for the world as it should be?

Akini's Top 100 Drag Race Queens: [#1 Revealed!]

by » Mon March 18th, 2019, 09:27

Iconic queen.

Famous nip slip too