Rolling Stone's Top100 Debut Albums of All Time Survivor! Winner(s) Announced!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leo
    Legend
    • 12 Nov 2012

OUT

Los Angeles
    is the debut studio album by American rock band X, released on April 26, 1980 by Slash Records. Produced by ex-Doors keyboard player Ray Manzarek. It was reviewed very positively from its first release. Ken Tucker wrote in Rolling Stone that it "is a powerful, upsetting work that concludes with a confrontation of the band's own rampaging bitterness and confusion."

The album's title track featured in the series finale of The Shield and has made numerous video game appearances including the soundtrack to Tony Hawk's Underground 2, as downloadable content in Rock Band and as a cover version in Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80's.

Black Sabbath is the debut studio album by the English rock band Black Sabbath. It is widely considered the first heavy metal album. Additionally, the opening track of the album—Black Sabbath—is widely considered to be the first doom metal song.

According to Black Sabbath's guitarist and founding member Tony Iommi, the group's debut album was recorded in a single day on 16 October 1969. The session lasted twelve hours. Iommi said: "We just went in the studio and did it in a day, we played our live set and that was it. We actually thought a whole day was quite a long time, then off we went the next day to play for £20 in Switzerland."

Almost Killed Me is the debut studio album by Brooklyn-based rock band the Hold Steady, released on March 16, 2004 on Frenchkiss Records. It is considered by many to be a concept album, with several recurring themes such as near-death experiences, parties and the fictional character Charlemagne. Its concept album roots are further explored with the recurring characters in Separation Sunday, the Hold Steady's second album, which uses the same characters introduced in Almost Killed Me.
    CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
    FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

• Leo
      Legend
      • 12 Nov 2012

ROUND 4 - Rank the songs FAV (1) to LEAST FAV (6)

53. New York Dolls - New York Dolls (1973) :: Trash
      9. The Band - Music From Big Pink (1968) :: The Weight
      10. Patti Smith - Horses (1975) :: Gloria
      92. Moby Grape - Moby Grape (1967) :: Omaha
      39. Lynyrd Skynyrd - (Pronounced ‘Lĕh-‘nérd ‘Skin-‘nérd) (1973) :: Free Bird
      84. Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston (1985) :: Greatest Love of All

Comment

• HC55555
        Manager
        • 27 Sep 2009

Wow, I barely know Lynyrd Skynyrd but already can tell their (his?) influence in rock/alternative ballads because they/he kind of sound like every 90/00s Oasis/Limp Bizkit-ish band This set was the hardest, I want my Top 4 to stay this is also the first time I didn't find anything horrible (although #6 sounds like a rejected Beatles song - and I don't even like them that much to begin with).

1. Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston (1985) :: Greatest Love of All
        2. Lynyrd Skynyrd - (Pronounced ‘Lĕh-‘nérd ‘Skin-‘nérd) (1973) :: Free Bird
        3. Patti Smith - Horses (1975) :: Gloria
        4. The Band - Music From Big Pink (1968) :: The Weight
        5. New York Dolls - New York Dolls (1973) :: Trash
        6. Moby Grape - Moby Grape (1967) :: Omaha

Comment

• cheapthrills
          Administrator and Site Supporter
          • 08 Jul 2016

1. 84. Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston (1985) :: Greatest Love of All'
          2. 9. The Band - Music From Big Pink (1968) :: The Weight
          3. 10. Patti Smith - Horses (1975) :: Gloria
          4. 39. Lynyrd Skynyrd - (Pronounced ‘Lĕh-‘nérd ‘Skin-‘nérd) (1973) :: Free Bird
          5. 92. Moby Grape - Moby Grape (1967) :: Omaha
          6. 53. New York Dolls - New York Dolls (1973) :: Trash

Comment

• Jonathan
            Legend
            • 12 Aug 2008

1. 53. New York Dolls - New York Dolls (1973) :: Trash
            2. 10. Patti Smith - Horses (1975) :: Gloria
            3. 39. Lynyrd Skynyrd - (Pronounced ‘Lĕh-‘nérd ‘Skin-‘nérd) (1973) :: Free Bird
            4. 84. Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston (1985) :: Greatest Love of All
            5. 9. The Band - Music From Big Pink (1968) :: The Weight
            6. 92. Moby Grape - Moby Grape (1967) :: Omaha
            My music library: LAST.FM

Comment

• Chantal
              Manager
              • 21 Aug 2008

1. 10. Patti Smith - Horses (1975) :: Gloria
              2. 9. The Band - Music From Big Pink (1968) :: The Weight
              3. 92. Moby Grape - Moby Grape (1967) :: Omaha
              4. 39. Lynyrd Skynyrd - (Pronounced ‘Lĕh-‘nérd ‘Skin-‘nérd) (1973) :: Free Bird
              5. 53. New York Dolls - New York Dolls (1973) :: Trash
              6. 84. Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston (1985) :: Greatest Love of All
              My last.fm

Comment

• navi
                Legend
                • 14 Aug 2013

ROUND 4 - Rank the songs FAV (1) to LEAST FAV (6)

1 10. Patti Smith - Horses (1975) :: Gloria
                2 92. Moby Grape - Moby Grape (1967) :: Omaha
                3 9. The Band - Music From Big Pink (1968) :: The Weight
                4 39. Lynyrd Skynyrd - (Pronounced ‘Lĕh-‘nérd ‘Skin-‘nérd) (1973) :: Free Bird
                5 53. New York Dolls - New York Dolls (1973) :: Trash
                6 84. Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston (1985) :: Greatest Love of All
                Last edited by navi; Tue March 19, 2019, 22:26.

Comment

• Leo
                  Legend
                  • 12 Nov 2012

1 Patti Smith - Horses (1975) :: Gloria
                  2 Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston (1985) :: Greatest Love of All
                  3 Lynyrd Skynyrd - (Pronounced ‘Lĕh-‘nérd ‘Skin-‘nérd) (1973) :: Free Bird
                  4 The Band - Music From Big Pink (1968) :: The Weight
                  5 Moby Grape - Moby Grape (1967) :: Omaha
                  6 New York Dolls - New York Dolls (1973) :: Trash

Comment

• Leo
                    Legend
                    • 12 Nov 2012

OUT

New York Dolls is the debut studio album by the American hard rock band New York Dolls. It was released on July 27, 1973, by Mercury Records. In the years leading up to the album, the New York Dolls had developed a local fanbase by playing regularly in lower Manhattan after forming in 1971. However, most music producers and record companies were reluctant to work with them because of their vulgarity and onstage fashion; the group later appeared in exaggerated drag on the album cover for shock value.

New York Dolls was met with widespread critical acclaim but sold poorly and polarized listeners. The band proved difficult to market outside their native New York and developed a reputation for rock-star excesses while touring the United States in support of the album. Despite its commercial failure, New York Dolls was an influential precursor to the 1970s punk rock movement and has since been named in various publications as one of the best debut records in rock music and one of the greatest albums of all time.

Moby Grape is the 1967 debut album by rock band Moby Grape. Coming from the San Francisco scene, their reputation quickly grew to immense proportions, leading to a bidding war and a contract with Columbia Records. Produced by David Rubinson, it took just six weeks, and $11,000, from March 11 to April 25, to record all thirteen tracks.

Released on June 6, 1967, Columbia chose also to place ten of the thirteen songs on five singles released on the same day: "Fall on You"/"Changes", "Sitting By the Window"/"Indifference" (2:46 edit), "8:05"/"Mister Blues", "Omaha"/"Someday" and "Hey Grandma"/Come in the Morning". Of these five, only "Omaha" and "Hey Grandma" charted. All five records were issued with picture sleeves showing the same album cover photo.

(Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd) is the debut album from American rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd, released in 1973. The album features several of the band's most well-known songs, including "Gimme Three Steps," "Simple Man," "Tuesday's Gone" and "Free Bird," which launched the band to national stardom. Most of the songs on the album had been in the band's live repertoire for some time. The band found a rural rehearsal space near Jacksonville which they nicknamed "Hell House" due to the long hours spent there jamming in the intense Florida heat, and it was there that they composed and ran through the songs endlessly until they were perfected.

Upon its release, rock journalist Robert Christgau acknowledged the quality of the songs and gave the album an "A" rating while referring to Lynyrd Skynyrd as a "staunchly untranscendent band". Producer Al Kooper, a close friend of Pete Townshend's, secured the band a spot opening for The Who on their American tour, and Lynyrd Skynyrd was subsequently exposed to much larger audiences than they'd ever seen before.

Comment

• Leo
                      Legend
                      • 12 Nov 2012

ROUND 5 - Rank the songs FAV (1) to LEAST FAV (6)

23. The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die (1994) :: Big Poppa
                      18. R.E.M. - Murmur (1983) :: Radio Free Europe
                      22. Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes (1983) :: Gone Daddy Gone
                      56. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (2008) :: Skinny Love
                      6. N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton (1988) :: Straight Outta Compton
                      60. Fiona Apple - Tidal (1996) :: Criminal

Comment

• Jonathan
                        Legend
                        • 12 Aug 2008

1. 6. N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton (1988) :: Straight Outta Compton
                        2. 23. The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die (1994) :: Big Poppa
                        3. 18. R.E.M. - Murmur (1983) :: Radio Free Europe
                        4. 22. Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes (1983) :: Gone Daddy Gone
                        5. 60. Fiona Apple - Tidal (1996) :: Criminal
                        6. 56. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (2008) :: Skinny Love
                        My music library: LAST.FM

Comment

• HC55555
                          Manager
                          • 27 Sep 2009

I hope my comment isn't too Millennial but: "Big Poppa" sounds like my fave Gwen Stefani song I didn't know Luxurious was a sample! I'm also more familiar with Birdy's Skinny Love version and discovered Criminal thanks to American Horror Story

1. Fiona Apple - Tidal (1996) :: Criminal
                          2. Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes (1983) :: Gone Daddy Gone
                          3. R.E.M. - Murmur (1983) :: Radio Free Europe
                          4. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (2008) :: Skinny Love
                          5. The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die (1994) :: Big Poppa
                          6. N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton (1988) :: Straight Outta Compton

Comment

• Chantal
                            Manager
                            • 21 Aug 2008

1. 60. Fiona Apple - Tidal (1996) :: Criminal
                            2. 22. Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes (1983) :: Gone Daddy Gone
                            3. 56. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (2008) :: Skinny Love
                            4. 18. R.E.M. - Murmur (1983) :: Radio Free Europe
                            5. 23. The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die (1994) :: Big Poppa
                            6. 6. N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton (1988) :: Straight Outta Compton
                            My last.fm

Comment

• navi
                              Legend
                              • 14 Aug 2013

ROUND 5 - Rank the songs FAV (1) to LEAST FAV (6)

1 18. R.E.M. - Murmur (1983) :: Radio Free Europe
                              2 22. Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes (1983) :: Gone Daddy Gone
                              3 56. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (2008) :: Skinny Love
                              4 60. Fiona Apple - Tidal (1996) :: Criminal
                              5 6. N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton (1988) :: Straight Outta Compton
                              6 23. The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die (1994) :: Big Poppa

Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun
                              although never released as a single this opening track from debut album somehow become their
                              biggest and most recognizable hit,
                              i would say it's their signature song

Comment

• cheapthrills
                                Administrator and Site Supporter
                                • 08 Jul 2016

1 Fiona
                                2 Violent Femmes
                                3 NWA
                                4 Notorious BIG
                                5 REM
                                6 Bon Iver

Comment

• Leo
                                  Legend
                                  • 12 Nov 2012

1 Fiona Apple - Tidal (1996) :: Criminal
                                  2 N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton (1988) :: Straight Outta Compton
                                  3 The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die (1994) :: Big Poppa
                                  4 R.E.M. - Murmur (1983) :: Radio Free Europe
                                  5 Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes (1983) :: Gone Daddy Gone
                                  6 Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (2008) :: Skinny Love

Comment

• Leo
                                    Legend
                                    • 12 Nov 2012

Originally posted by HC55555
                                    I hope my comment isn't too Millennial but: "Big Poppa" sounds like my fave Gwen Stefani song I didn't know Luxurious was a sample! I'm also more familiar with Birdy's Skinny Love version and discovered Criminal thanks to American Horror Story
                                    Lol
                                    I didn't know Luxurious was a sample, but just because I never check those things. Happens a lot with Mariah's songs, Beyonce's songs and many others. And many times, like this one, more than a sample looks like the exact smae music just with different lyrics.

Is notorious' song also a sample of some other?

Comment

• Carbon
                                      Legend
                                      • 19 Jul 2013

1 Fiona Apple - Tidal (1996) :: Criminal
                                      2 Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (2008) :: Skinny Love
                                      3 R.E.M. - Murmur (1983) :: Radio Free Europe
                                      4 The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die (1994) :: Big Poppa
                                      5 Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes (1983) :: Gone Daddy Gone
                                      6 N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton (1988) :: Straight Outta Compton

Comment

• Leo
                                        Legend
                                        • 12 Nov 2012

OUT

Ready to Die is the debut studio album by American rapper The Notorious B.I.G., released on September 13, 1994, by Bad Boy and Arista Records. The album features production by Bad Boy founder Sean "Puffy" Combs, Easy Mo Bee, Chucky Thompson, DJ Premier, and Lord Finesse, among others. It was recorded from 1993 to 1994 at The Hit Factory and D&D Studios in New York City. The partly autobiographical album tells the story of the rapper's experiences as a young criminal, and was the only studio album released during his lifetime, as he was murdered sixteen days before the release of his second album Life After Death in 1997.

The album was significant for revitalizing the East Coast hip hop scene, amid West Coast hip hop's commercial dominance. The album's second single "Big Poppa" was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Rap Solo Performance at the 1996 Grammy Awards. Ready to Die has been regarded by many critics as one of the greatest hip hop albums, as well as one of the best albums of all time.

For Emma, Forever Ago is the debut studio album by American indie folk band Bon Iver. It was first self-released in July 2007, and later saw wide release on the Jagjaguwar label in February 2008. The album is principally the work of singer-songwriter Justin Vernon. Whilst living in Raleigh, North Carolina, Vernon fell ill with mononucleosis and a liver infection, and grew frustrated with his songwriting and life. He left Raleigh and drove to his father's remote hunting cabin an hour northwest of his hometown, Eau Claire, Wisconsin, hoping to be alone.

The album was recorded at the cabin between late 2006 to early 2007. Vernon abandoned his old songwriting methods and instead focused on wordless melodies that he later set to words, which he felt evoked a more subconscious meaning. The record's lyrical subjects include lost love and mediocrity. His folk-infused songs include heavy choral arrangements, featuring Vernon's falsetto, and horns. He hunted his own food and spent much of his time isolated. Though he did not intend to make an album, he received strong encouragements from friends and decided to self-release For Emma, Forever Ago in July 2007. After several performances and online exposure, he was signed to Jagjaguwar later that year.

Straight Outta Compton is the debut studio album by American hip hop group N.W.A, released August 8, 1988, on group member Eazy-E's record label Ruthless Records. Production for the album was handled by Dr. Dre with DJ Yella. The album has been viewed as the pioneering record of gangsta rap with its ever-present profanity and violent lyrics. This was the group's only release with rapper Ice Cube prior to his 1989 departure. It has been considered to be one of the greatest and most influential hip-hop records by music writers and has had an enormous impact on the evolution of hip hop.

Because of the recurring violent and sexual lyrics and profanity, often specifically directed at governmental organizations such as the LAPD, N.W.A always enjoyed a particular reputation with U.S. Senators and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), as noted in the LP's published notes. This situation persisted over the years with the group's visible head, Eazy-E. One of the reasons for this was "**** tha Police", the highly controversial track from the album that resulted in the FBI and the U.S. Secret Service sending a letter to Ruthless Records informing the label of their displeasure with the song's message, and that N.W.A was banned from performing at several venues. The FBI letter only helped further popularize the album and N.W.A.

Comment

• Leo
                                          Legend
                                          • 12 Nov 2012

too bad about NWA

Comment

Working...