User Tag List

Thread: UKMIX Maintenance

Legend
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 06-03-19, 20:46

I thought y'all might like to keep up to date with what I'm getting up to behind the scenes - if it's of no interest, then feel free to look on. Will try and keep this updated.

• This evening, I'm pruning (see=deleting) all users with 0 posts at UKMIX.

It's a painstaking task as we appear to have around 70,000 people who have never posted at UKMIX in their life, a huge majority of which will almost certainly be spammers. If you notice UKMIX is quite sluggish tonight, this is probably why - the pruning task runs a number of database-heavy actions which might slow us down a bit.

Legend
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 09-03-19, 20:05

I completed the rest of the pruning activity outlined above today - and I can now confirmed that around 60,000 users have been deleted from UKMIX (with pre-2007 numbers totalling around 6,000):

Reg. Year Deletions
    2007 3,560
    2008 2,885
    2009 1,779
    2010 1,483
    2011 2,331
    2012 2,124
    2013 909
    2014 1,561
    2015 6,420
    2016 7,358
    2017 9,630
    2018 14,216
    TOTAL 54,256

The above table represents the number of user accounts deleted that had made zero posts, against the year those accounts initially registered - in a nutshell, all user accounts with zero posts that registered on or before 31st December 2018 have been deleted. If you're one of those, and you were a genuine lurker, you might wish to re-register to regain membership status. But I would caution all new registrations that I've added a new condition to our registration T&Cs:

Additional Registration Term

i. It is a condition of registration at UKMIX as a newly registered user that you agree to be subject to a pruning activity that will take place each year in which should you not have made a post in the preceding 365 days and your total post count stands at zero, your account will be deleted.

Legend
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 14-03-19, 19:51

Currently rebooting the server to apply some automatic updates - apologies if the site is a bit laggy in the next few minutes.

Legend
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 15-03-19, 19:48

This evening, I've worked with our hosts to reconfigure our DNS resolvers as there was a problem - I don't think anyone will see any noticeable changes but I will at least stop getting 5 error emails sent to me a day!

Legend
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 16-03-19, 19:21

Today, I've been working on a new Reviews section which I've put forward to the moderation team for consideration - here's what it might look like:

It would enable users to add their ratings and reviews to an existing review, to then allow us to derive an overall star rating.

Currently hashing out whether it'd add any value to UKMIX or not - I'll keep you updated!

Legend
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 17-03-19, 16:51

Today, I've been getting to grips with Google's Webmaster Tools - among the points:

* There are over 50 topics or pages that have "errors" preventing Google from effectively indexing them (will work through these over the next few days).
    * I've been re-configuring our sitemaps to ensure that UKMIX can continue to be indexed properly - you may see a significant bump in bots on the visitors list (which I'm *hoping* doesn't increase spam registrations) as we have almost 450,000 pages that Google is indexing. I've currently set the site to automatically rebuild our sitemaps every few days, which will likely result in an increase in bots when the new sitemaps are uploaded.

Legend
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 19-03-19, 19:48

I've made an amendment to the message posting settings - you will now only be able to default rich text posts in Quick Reply - I'm hoping this helps cut down on the html posting issues (where hidden characters magically appear).

If you still post in the Full Reply screen, the html option does remain - but I would always advise that you defer to the rich text post format as there'll be no surprises when you submit your post.

Legend
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Yesterday, 20:18

Google are now reading all of our sitemaps successfully, having done some tweaking - in total, that's almost 110,000 separate topics now being indexed by Google! I've now also configured Google Analytics so that I can understand which markets are driving our web traffic and how many hits we're getting.

It's required some custom code to be added to one of the website templates, please let me know if you notice anything different happening.