User Tag List

Thread: Crazy's Top 100 Artists #93

Legend
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 9th, 2019, 21:12

I haven't done a countdown like this in ages and wanted to do it to celebrate my 30th birthday a little while ago but didn't have the time. This countdown takes into account all my recorded charts from 2011-2018 (however there are some huge gaps in the first year or two) so I wouldn't call it an all-time list technically but the best recorded overview I could make.

Going through the list, I noticed how much of a mess it is some artists charting solely on one song or one year of charting songs but it is what it is considering my records are incomplete, nothing particularly surprising nearer the top. I plan to do something like this again in a couple of years once the effects of the missing data evens out a bit and is less noticeable. I will share an extra 50 artists, Top 100 will get a bit of a presentation if I have time/energy.

Well here goes

150 Marianne Faithfull (Why'd D'ya Do It?)
    Don't know much about her but she has made some great and experimental records, love her husky voice and rough around the edges style. Explicit sexual lyrics in the song linked.

149 Steve Hackett (Hands of The Priestess)
    Genesis member made music of his own and I love some of them, this instrumental is so beautiful and the melody sounds so similar to one of the songs in the Legend of Zelda video game series which I also love.

148 Valerie June (The Hour)
    Bluesy country songstress, need to check her more recent stuff, kinda forgot about her but I think she is good.

147 Afterglow (Riding Home Again)
    Late 60s band, sweet psychedelic pop/rock sound with some dashes of the experimental. The linked song might sound familiar to some, it's sweet and uplifting.

146 The Amazing World of Arthur Brown (Love is the Spirit)
    Arthur Brown seems to have quite a few monikers, I think this is one of his more recent ones, he is further up under another name. His voice is so thick these days but still powerful.
    Last edited by CrazyCrazy; Sat March 9th, 2019 at 23:39.

Legend
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 9th, 2019, 23:26

-------

She is a relatively recent discovery for me, heard about her on some random interview of Natalie Cole who said Nyro was one of her favourites so that's when I went to listen, she has a really soulful and emotional sound. Need to explore lots more from her, she actually only has two top 20 hits so far but Brown Earth has been hitting my chart for a couple of years.

My top hits:

When I Was a Freeport and You Were the Main Drag

Tomorrow we have a 50s rockabilly legend.
    Last edited by CrazyCrazy; Sun March 10th, 2019 at 17:54.

Legend
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun March 10th, 2019, 17:52

I grew up listening to Buddy, my dad was a big fan so I heard his songs all of the time and Buddy's singing style definitely influenced my dads voice, I still really enjoy the romanticism and innocence of the songs and feel good nature of them.

My top hits:

Everyday
    Oh Boy!
    Heartbeat
    True Love Ways
    Not Fade Away
    Peggy Sue
    Fool's Paradise
    Raining In My Heart

Up next one of my favourite hippy voices.
    Last edited by CrazyCrazy; Fri March 15th, 2019 at 02:26.

Legend
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon March 11th, 2019, 21:21

The hippy trippy voice I was talking about is Gilli Smyth the space whisperer herself, from Gong fame (who are still to come), her seductive voice was a key ingredient to Gongs' sound and she was pushed to the forefront with Mother Gong to our ears delight! Most of their music is spoken word with magical music to accompany it, more ambient and spacey than anything catchy.

My top hits:

Wassilissa
    Water
    Four Horseman
    Time
    Faces (With Tom the Poet)
    Simple 1
    She Made the World

Tonight Matthew I'm going to be....up next is the famous skater girl.

Legend
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue March 12th, 2019, 22:13

There's no denying AvLav has had so many catchy songs over the years, even some lovely ballads, still like listening to her songs to this day, she was big news way back in the early 2000s where her songs were inescapable, wonder if she'll ever get a glimmer of that fame again? Complicated in particular is so nostalgic and I remember hearing it on the radio for the first time.

My top hits:

Hot
    My Happy Ending
    Smile
    Complicated
    Everybody Hurts

Next up is a seriously fun electronic French band that I reckon nobody knows about sadly!
    Last edited by CrazyCrazy; Tue March 12th, 2019 at 22:24.

Legend
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue March 12th, 2019, 22:20

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCrazy View Post
    Next up is a seriously fun electronic French band that I reckon nobody knows about sadly!

Maybe knows but not cares
    My year(s) in lists by Ivan (2008 - 2013)

Legend
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu March 14th, 2019, 01:22

Love all the songs I've heard from them, I really ought to listen to their full albums more, I randomly stumbled upon them through suggested artists on Lastfm. Click and see what you think, I think they make really fun songs and there is something sexy about the vocals. They give me a French Gorillaz vibe, kinda.

My top hits:

Magic Powder
    Continue

Up next a UK band that were very popular in the early 00s and Lily Allen had a #1 hit with one of their songs a few years ago...actually it was 6 years ago! Wow that went fast.
    Last edited by CrazyCrazy; Fri March 15th, 2019 at 21:46.

Legend
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 01:51

I've always liked Keane and thought their songs were very melodic and Tom's voice was always a highlight on the radio and added a nice emotional touch. I remember hearing "Spiralling" for the first time and not liking it one bit and thought it sounded quite different to their previous stuff but that soon changed, not really been into their more recent stuff but that might change.

My top hits:

Spiralling
    Is It Any Wonder?
    The Lovers Are Losing
    Nothing In My Way
    This Is the Last Time
    Better Than This
    Untitled 1
    Perfect Symmetry
    You Don't See Me
    You Haven't Told Me Anything
    Can't Stop Now
    Back In Time

Up next is a velvety voiced British female who has been compared to the late Karen Carpenter.
    Last edited by CrazyCrazy; Fri March 15th, 2019 at 02:29.

Legend
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 05:22

Avril is definitely a talent. "Head Above Water" is one of the best songs she's done, but she was definitely one of the premier faces of pop/rock with gems superior to that one.
    You can search the entire universe and not find a single being more worthy of love than you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 21:30

Keane had some great songs, 'Spiralling', 'Crystal Ball' and 'Sovereign Light Café' are among my favourites.

Legend
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 21:35

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan View Post
    Avril is definitely a talent. "Head Above Water" is one of the best songs she's done, but she was definitely one of the premier faces of pop/rock with gems superior to that one.
    Aw Akini, haven't seen you in a while, we feel like universes apart these days music taste wise. Yes Av is really good, she has so many feel good songs, are you not really into What The Hell? Thought that'd be up your alley as it's very catchy. Only heard HAW once and it sounded nice but didn't grab me, will try her album soon as it's on my "to listen to later" list along with about 1 million other albums.

Please follow and perhaps try some new songs/artists. Tell me what you think of Keane's "Bedshaped" when you have time buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    Keane had some great songs, 'Spiralling', 'Crystal Ball' and 'Sovereign Light Café' are among my favourites.
    Ooh another comment, yes I like those especially Spiralling, Keane had some great singles, will give those others more spins.

Her ode to Aretha Frankin really sold me, so gentle and emotive, the lyrics tell of how listening to Aretha got her through school and some tough times as a kid. I resonated with the way she connected with music in that personal way, her voice is so smooth and her music is very easy listening. Thumbs up.

My top hits:

Slow
    Reach Out
    Saving Grace
    Dangerous

Up next is an obscure singer-songwriter from the 60s, folk rock fans may enjoy.
    Last edited by CrazyCrazy; Fri March 15th, 2019 at 21:44.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue March 19th, 2019, 10:47

Hot is my favourite Avril song, her maiden (and last) # 1 in my chart.

Up next is an obscure singer-songwriter from the 60s, folk rock fans may enjoy.
    Joni Mitchell ?
    Last edited by LastDreamer; Tue March 19th, 2019 at 10:51.
    My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).

Dreamer, you must to visit Lithuania and see/listen a live concert of your YVA strawberries.

Legend
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 22nd, 2019, 00:11

Quote Originally Posted by LastDreamer View Post
    Hot is my favourite Avril song, her maiden (and last) # 1 in my chart.

Joni Mitchell ?
    Hot is very catchy indeed, thank you for the comment, Hmm I hardly think Joni Mitchell would be classed as obscure.

145 Rihanna (Kiss It Better)
    Yes I'm surprised to see her here too, back in the old days I used to hate on her something bad (in fact most of my posts from that period are so cringe for me now) I wouldn't call myself a fan of her but there's no denying I like a few of her songs particularly from her last album.

144 Beacon Street Union (The Clown Died In Marvin Gardens)
    Obscure band from the 60s, great sound.

143 Arca (Anoche)
    Relatively recent for me, his last album was very good, unusual sound, not sure what I think of his image but I mean, I'm open-minded enough for it anyway.

142 Madonna (Body Shop)
    Always like Madge's songs, wouldn't really call myself a fan of her as a person etc but no denying she has had some great songs, her last album is why she appears here though to be honest, perhaps I should invest in more of her albums at some point.

141 Justin Hayward & John Lodge (Who Are You Now?)
    Love Justin's voice and this collab album from these two was great, this track in particular is a meaningful and beautiful song.

Will post #93-#90 tomorrow or Saturday.

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed March 27th, 2019, 15:19

^

So I will wait!

btw. I like one Rihanna song

Legend
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 29th, 2019, 23:31

Aww Sonia, my one true fan x

I almost forgot about this! Will continue tomorrow, way too tired tonight.

Which Rihanna song?
    Last edited by CrazyCrazy; Fri March 29th, 2019 at 23:40.

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R.I.P. Scott Walker (1943-2019)

Legend
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 30th, 2019, 18:50

Aw Akini, haven't seen you in a while, we feel like universes apart these days music taste wise. Yes Av is really good, she has so many feel good songs, are you not really into What The Hell? Thought that'd be up your alley as it's very catchy. Only heard HAW once and it sounded nice but didn't grab me, will try her album soon as it's on my "to listen to later" list along with about 1 million other albums.

Please follow and perhaps try some new songs/artists. Tell me what you think of Keane's "Bedshaped" when you have time buddy.
    I actually do like "What the Hell" quite a bit! It topped my chart back in 2011.

I checked out "Bedshaped", and it wasn't bad. I'll definitely follow this and try to do some deeper exploration when I have time.

Hot is very catchy indeed, thank you for the comment, Hmm I hardly think Joni Mitchell would be classed as obscure.

145 Rihanna (Kiss It Better)
    Yes I'm surprised to see her here too, back in the old days I used to hate on her something bad (in fact most of my posts from that period are so cringe for me now) I wouldn't call myself a fan of her but there's no denying I like a few of her songs particularly from her last album.

142 Madonna (Body Shop)
    Always like Madge's songs, wouldn't really call myself a fan of her as a person etc but no denying she has had some great songs, her last album is why she appears here though to be honest, perhaps I should invest in more of her albums at some point.
    I wasn't a huge fan of RiRi's last LP, but she'll always have a special place in my heart and music library. She's the greatest new act of the new millennium for me. "Kiss It Better" is a bop! Phuck yo pride!

"Body Shop" for Madge? That is such a peculiar choice!
    You can search the entire universe and not find a single being more worthy of love than you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat April 13th, 2019, 15:49

Akini - Yes, "Bodyshop" is Madge's biggest hit for me so far, random but I like the sound of it!

Sonia - interesting, that's not a bad one!

Hamilton Camp is another recent-ish discovery, he has a lovely delicate sound somewhere between folk and rock, quite like a few artists of the time I guess but he has some quality songs and a strong voice to emote the lyrics.

My top hits:

Lonely Place
    Pride of Man
    For My Loved Ones
    Travelin' In the Dark
    A Lot Can happen In a Day
    I Shall Be Released

Up next is a songstress from the 80s, she's been dubbed as the Adele of the 80s by some but I don't really agree...

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat April 13th, 2019, 20:00

I only know Avril and Keane! Thanks for this, it will surely introduce me to so many artists!