Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunman livestreams shooting at New Zealand mosque, 50 dead

Legend
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 07:16

Horrifying footage has emerged from inside a Christchurch mosque as a gunman opened fire with a semiautomatic rifle, shooting dozens of people inside at point blank range.
    The distressing 17-minute footage, viewed by news.com.au and verified by Storyful, appeared to be streamed live as it happened from a GoPro attached to the shooter.
    It begins with a man, who identified himself on Twitter as a 28-year-old Australian named Brenton Tarrant, in brown fingerless gloves driving through the streets of Christchurch towards the mosque.
    The chilling POV video shows him parking the car around the corner, out the back of the building and opening the car boot revealing two black rifles covered in white writing, petrol containers and a bag that reads “PROUDLY KIWI AS”.

The man — described by witnesses at the scene as short and wearing a military uniform — casually walks into the entrance as people stand in the street.
    He fires at least nine shots at people standing in the doorway, some of them jumping out of the way, before storming through the front door, shooting indiscriminately at anyone he sees.
    The gunman then walks past at least one body on the floor — and the shoes left at the front door of the mosque — and appears to reload his weapon.

Several people duck for cover as the speed of the rounds being fired intensifies. The distressing video shows him methodically killing as he walks in and out of rooms in an apparent attempt to make sure all people inside are dead.
    When he leaves the mosque and walks back out the front gate, he shoots a volley of gunfire up and down the street.
    Witnesses told Radio NZ the man never spoke a word when he opened fire, killing at least one child, aged five.
    They said they had no opportunity to tackle the man as people scattered and tried to hide.

Police have since arrested four people in connection to the deadly shootings that killed at least 30 people.
    Police said the three men and one woman were now in custody and they have disarmed a number of improvised explosive devices attached to a vehicle.
    “But let’s not presume that the danger is gone,” Police Commissioner Mike Bush said.

https://www.news.com.au/world/pacifi...ed95d798cb884f
    Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

The Diva
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 07:20

Absolutely sickening. Hope those responsible are punished to the core. To kill a 5 year old in a house of God is unthinkable sickness.

I loathe Islamophobia.

Legend
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 07:24

There are reports of more shootings at another mosque..

The commissioner said police had been dealing with two shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, one at Deans Avenue and one at Linwood Avenue. “Those locations remain locked down,” he said in a statement published at 6:06 p.m. local time.

“Police are still treating this incident as ongoing and Christchurch residents are strongly urged to stay indoors and keep safe, and monitor the Police website and social media for further information. We continue to utilize every possible resource to resolve the situation,” Bush said, adding that all mosques in the country had been asked to shut their doors.
    Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 07:50

I woke up to the news and I feel physically sick.

I always believed at some point terrorism would find it's way to New Zealand but its still no less shocking and painful to see.

So much love for the people of Christchurch today.

The Diva
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 08:35

At least at 40! That’s horrific.

Manager
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 08:54

So tragic. I typed several different statements already but deleted them. Can't really express my feelings about something like this. Let me just say I will never understand why people feel superior just because they were lucky enough to be born somewhere or chose to believe in something imaginary differently. I hope whoever did this rots in jail and must be staring at 4 walls for the rest of his miserable life.

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 09:52

Incredibly sad, but it's hardly shocking anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
    Hope those responsible are punished to the core.
    They'll lock up the attackers, but ultimately it's the Trumps, Le Pens, Salvinis, Farages and Gaulands of the world who are responsible. They sow the hate. The lunatics who end up killing people are just vessels.

The Diva
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 10:25

How is Twitter so slow at deleting the videos of the attack. Grossly negligent.

Legend
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 10:33

OMG this is awful. Accidentally i watched the video on Twitter, hope he rots in hell. RIP to all the victims.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Legend
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 11:11

This is just horrible, tragic and unbelievable.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 12:10

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo View Post
    This is just horrible, tragic and unbelievable.
    It's been a devastating day. Pride has been cancelled this weekend due to high terror alert. There's just a very tense atmosphere everywhere.
    Uk the only way

Superstar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 12:27

Shocked and saddened to hear of yet another attack by extremists on innocent people. Poor Christchurch.

Legend
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 13:16

Sickening. I always assumed NZ was almost immune from terrorism because of its location and laidback way of life.

Legend
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 13:49

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    Sickening. I always assumed NZ was almost immune from terrorism because of its location and laidback way of life.
    Same with me, I guess this almost idyllic image is now gone forever.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Manager
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 17:24

Absolutely sickening. Hope those responsible are punished to the core. To kill a 5 year old in a house of God is unthinkable sickness.

I loathe Islamophobia.

What does that have to do with anything? It's tragic because so many innocent people were killed and not because it happened in "the house of god"...

This comment reads as if it is more tragic to kill someone in a "house of god" than killing someone somewhere else...
    Last edited by aRat; Fri March 15th, 2019 at 17:35.
    The virtue of stanning talent & having qualitea taste: DUA LIPA ♪ RIHANNA ♪ MADONNA
    #NO DUSTY DIVAS ALLOWED

Legend
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 18:01

Quote Originally Posted by aRat View Post

This comment reads as if it is more tragic to kill someone in a "house of god" than killing someone somewhere else...
    No it doesn't, don't twist his words.

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 18:43

Quote Originally Posted by aRat View Post
    What does that have to do with anything? It's tragic because so many innocent people were killed and not because it happened in "the house of god"...

So to you it's not worth mentioning at all that this was a religiously motivated / racist crime?

The fact that it happened in a 'house of god' means that the attacker specifically targeted believers of a certain faith (Muslims in this case), which is different from somebody randomly shooting people in the streets.

Legend
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 00:10

This is so tragic, sick and sad. I have always thought of New Zealand of a peaceful and tolerant place (still think it is!) but it is even more shocking that such a peaceful nation has to suffer so much. What a disgusting and vile act of terror.
    I hope that the injured will get well soon! - R.I.P to all victims :(

Superstar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 03:21

As someone from New Zealand it's hard to watch, it's hard to fathom as this stuff just doesn't happen in New Zealand.

I lived around the corner from the Mosque in Riccarton where the majority of this happened, I walked past this place daily.

He was living in Dunedin where I am from, apparently they have found bombs rigged to cars near the house he was living in which is near where most of my family lives. It's crazy to think this guy was living in the City I grew up in , I was only there 2 months ago.

Legend
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 09:09

Quote Originally Posted by Rihab View Post
    So to you it's not worth mentioning at all that this was a religiously motivated / racist crime?

The fact that it happened in a 'house of god' means that the attacker specifically targeted believers of a certain faith (Muslims in this case), which is different from somebody randomly shooting people in the streets.
    Glad you said it.

No need to pick a fight out of everything rat.

I’m a duty manager now bitchessss
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 17:21

This is so sad, really breaks my heart.

And to echo what others have said, it does matter that this happened in a mosque. This was an act of terrorism directed at a particular group of people for their religious beliefs
    Fiat 500

Legend
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 17:26

New Zealand shows willingness to curb guns after one, not 1,981 mass shootings

The country’s prime minister and attorney general have mentioned banning semiautomatic firearms, but it’s far from a done deal.

Within hours of the mass shooting at the Al Noor and Linwood mosques in Christchurch Friday, controlling the sale of the types of guns used by the alleged killer became a top priority for New Zealand’s lawmakers. In a country that already has strong gun regulations, the debate over closing what the police association said were loopholes took on new urgency — so urgent that some politicians had to moderate statements they’d made in the hours after the attack.

New Zealand Attorney General David Baker, who announced Friday that the country would ban semiautomatic weapons, said Saturday the government has not yet reached that conclusion, Radio New Zealand reported.

“Those decisions have yet to be taken but the prime minister signalled that we are going to look at that issue,” Baker told the RNZ, adding that he intended only to lend support to the prime minister’s remarks, not go any further.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern unequivocally stated Friday that, “our gun laws will change,” after announcing that the suspected shooter, Australian Brenton Tarrant, had obtained the weapons used to kill 49 people legally. Ardern did not elaborate on specific legislative or regulatory proposals.

The country already has far stricter gun laws than the United States does — unlike Americans, New Zealanders do not have a constitutional right to bear arms. As Vox’s German Lopez explained, gun owners in New Zealand must pass a firearms course and a background check that looks at their criminal history and associations before obtaining a license to buy any weapons.

“Once a person makes it through the process, he’s allowed to purchase guns and ammo — although some types of firearms, like handguns and certain semiautomatic rifles, require “endorsements” from police and separate permits to purchase. There are also extra storage and inspection requirements.

The licenses have to be renewed every 10 years, and police can revoke a person’s license if that person is believed to no longer be fit for ownership and may pose a threat.”

Despite these laws, however, police say gaps in what types of weapons can be licensed and how semiautomatic weapons are classified pose a threat to the public. Previous attempts to strengthen New Zealand’s gun laws have been defeated by what GunPolicy.org’s Philip Alpers told CNN was a “small but very strong” gun lobby.

https://www.vox.com/world/2019/3/16/...ntrol-response
    Barely 24 hours after, the government are on the cusp of banning automatic firearms - took one incident to provoke this. The US has had almost 2,000 mass shootings, and the desire for automatic firearms is as strong as ever.

Legend
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 17:29

I loathe Islamophobia.
    Islamophobia is such a silly made up term, a phobia is an irrational fear of something and the more I learn about Islamic ideology, it's history and all of the attacks in the name of Islam that we see all over the world the more I can understand how one could fear it and with people's growing concern. That being said what this guy has done is absolutely tragic and unacceptable and I hope he gets what he deserves.

Rhiab you need to stop being so immature and blaming Trump and the like for everything crazy people do, it's very hard to take you seriously with talk like that.