Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Top 100 Eurovision songs

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed March 27th, 2019, 09:29

# 83. Jessica Garlick - Come Back (United Kingdom - 2002)

Welsh singer Jessica Garlick was selected as Eurovision participant in yearly British TV show "A Song For Europe" and shared 3rd place in the main contest.

It was the last finish in "medals zone" for United Kindgom, their glory days are over. Also "Come Back" became the first Eurovision number one in my weekly chart.

Interesting fact : Another UK Pop Idol Hayley Evetts tried to be Eurovision participant. She was revealed to be one of the candidates to represent Romania in Eurovision Song Contest 2016 with "Brand New Day" (my second favourite song from that Euroseason, only behind my favourite song from Eurovision 2016). However she had withdrawn from the selection due to a severe knee injury.
    Last edited by LastDreamer; Wed March 27th, 2019 at 09:31.
    My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).

Dreamer, you must to visit Lithuania and see/listen a live concert of your YVA strawberries.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Thu March 28th, 2019, 06:46

# 82. Vanilla Ninja - Cool Vibes (Switzerland - 2005)

Estonian all-female rock group Vanilla Ninja already were popular in Central Europe before the contest. Based on very small number of participations in ESC history and my strictly judging criteria to girlbands and their music, only some from them were included in top 100.

Interesting fact : They also entered Estonian national selections for Eurovision Song Contest in 2003 and 2007, but failing both times.

Dreamer, you must to visit Lithuania and see/listen a live concert of your YVA strawberries.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Thu March 28th, 2019, 06:49

# 81. Texas Lightning - No No Never (Germany - 2006)

"No No Never" was very rare country-pop genres mixed entry on Eurovision. This song became the second single for Texas Lighting after cover version of classic Madonna's track "Like A Virgin". They finished only 14th with 36 points, much to Germany's surprise, as they expected a better outcome. But Eurovision flop wasn't a barrier for chart success in home country (# 1) and the neighbour countries (# 4 in Austria, # 6 in Switzerland).

Interesting fact : Lead singer Jane Comerford was born in Australia.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Thu March 28th, 2019, 06:51

# 80. Mariana Efstratiou - To Diko Sou Asteri (Greece - 1989)

"To Diko Sou Asteri" is an inspirational ballad, with Mariana exhorting her listeners to "find your own star" in their lives. In 1996 she will represent Greece again.

Interesting fact : In 1989 year two countries got their best results from my all Eurovision rankings.

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Thu March 28th, 2019, 13:45

# 82. Vanilla Ninja - Cool Vibes (Switzerland - 2005)

For me it's the best Switzerland entry since...maybe 1993.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Fri March 29th, 2019, 09:03

# 79. Micha Marah - Hey, Nana (Belgium - 1979)

Sometimes in past jury members disliked my favourites even more than televoters now. Catchy pop song from Belgian singer and actress Micha Marah got only 5 points and shared the last place with Austrian entry.

Interesting fact : It's very unusually thing for Eurovision, but Micha Marah never made a studio recording of her Eurovision entry.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Fri March 29th, 2019, 09:04

# 78. Teddy Scholten - Een Beetje (Netherlands - 1959)

Let's move from outsider to real winner. "Een Beetje" more up-tempo than the previous winners had been, as well as being somewhat less serious. Possibly it can explain the popularity of this song now, especially in comparison with other winners from "pre-Gall" era.

It is sung from the perspective of a young woman being asked by her lover if she is "true" and "faithful", to which she answers "A little bit".

Interesting fact : The song was the second victory for Netherlands in the first four years of the contest's history.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Fri March 29th, 2019, 09:06

# 77. Margot Eskens - Die Zeiger Der Uhr (Germany - 1966)

This song became my # 1 finding, when I listened all possible contenders for top 100 list. Before it Finnish entry "Playboy" was my # 1 from 1966 year.

"Die Zeiger Der Uhr" ("The Hands Of Time") is a ballad, with Eskens singing about the feelings brought on by reading old love letters and seeing photographs from an old relationship. As she explains, however, "The hands of time only turn/forwards, forwards and never backwards".

Interesting fact : German entries from all 7 Eurovision decades are represented in my top 100.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Fri March 29th, 2019, 09:08

# 76. Swarbriggs Plus Two - It's Nice To Be In Love Again (Ireland - 1977)

I always love a harmony between female and male vocals in songs, so obviously you wasn't surprised to see this Irish 70s entry in the top, compiled by fan of New Seekers, Brotherhood of Man and Bucks Fizz.

Their third place in Eurovision was the best Irish result since Dana's win in 1970.

Interesting fact : In real contest 90s were the golden decade for Ireland, but I prefer their 70s entries.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat March 30th, 2019, 12:44

# 75. Anita - Einfach Weg (Austria - 1984)

It's the outsider again, Anita got only 5 points and placing 19th (last). The song is about the singer's need to get away from her life, regardless of what others might think. I have very mixed relationships with Austrian Eurovision songs. Usually this country had one or two hits in each decade.

Interesting fact : After long pause Austria got the next top 5 result with Zoe in 2016 year.
    Last edited by LastDreamer; Fri July 19th, 2019 at 06:52.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat March 30th, 2019, 12:45

# 74. Lise Haavik - Du Er Fuld Af Logn (Denmark - 1986)

The song "Du Er Fuld Af Logn" is sung from the perspective of a woman telling a male friend that she knows that he is as attracted to her as she is to him. She dismisses his claim that they are "just friends" as being untrue and asks for "four days" with him - before saying that she will change his mind in 24 hours.

Interesting fact : Lise Haavik represented Denmark as a part of wife-husband duo Trax, but while both partners were present at the Contest, only Haavik sang and was credited during the performance.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat March 30th, 2019, 12:48

# 73. Vicky Leandros - L'amour Est Bleu (Luxembourg - 1967)

Possibly the low position of this wonderful song is the first big surprise in my top 100 so far. Eurovision all-time classic "L'amour Est Bleu" was finished only 4th behind another classic "Puppet On A String" and now forgotten Irish and French songs. Some forty years after its original release "L'amour est bleu" still counts as one of very few non-winning Eurovision entries ever to become a worldwide hit.

Interesting fact : In 2011 year German dance band Scooter did a mix "C'est Bleu" of one their song and Vicky's old hit. This composition was released in Germany as single and peaked on low 77th position.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed April 3rd, 2019, 07:13

# 72. Gisela - Casanova (Andorra - 2008)

The last place in the final of personal favourite is painful for every Eurovision fan. But the situation can be worse, after 2004 year the semifinals were inducted, so in last 15 years my # 1 wasn't qualified for the final 9 (!!!) times.

Spanish pop singer Gisela, who represented Andorra, brought the first win for European microstate in my Eurovision rankings. Luxembourg already was first, but this country doesn't name "microstate".

Interesting fact : Another song under the title "Casanova", performed by Elisa Lindstrom, was my second favourite in Swedish pre-selection Melodifestivalen in 2014.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed April 3rd, 2019, 07:15

# 71. Cat Cat - Bye Bye Baby (Finland - 1994)

Two Katka sisters, whose family name is phonetically similar to "cat cat" in English, unsuccessfully represented Finland with "Bye Bye Baby". The Eurovision version of the song is almost entirely in Finnish, according to the Contest rules in force at that time, but the first line of the chorus (quoted in the song's title) is in English.

CatCat performed wearing long coats over quite revealing costumes resembling cute vintage underwear. The costumes were identical apart from the colour - the blonde sister, appeared in green, and the brunette in pink. Each of them carried a microphone with a tip was coloured to match their costume.

Interesting fact : Today it's the one from the most loved ESC songs of 1994 year.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed April 3rd, 2019, 07:17

# 70. Bernadette - Sing Me A Song (Netherlands - 1983)

Bernadette was a bronze medalist in my 1983 ranking. "Sing Me A Song" is a plea for global unity. Bernadette asks her listeners to "sing me a song" - of any type - in the hope that the entire world will be able to join in. Importantly, however, she also asks her listeners to sing a song "About your country/How it is there and what do you do over there?", suggesting that unity can be achieved just as well through an understanding of other countries as it can by adopting a larger culture.

Interesting fact : 80s was the most successful decade for Netherlands in my rankings.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Fri April 5th, 2019, 08:45

# 69. Ellen Nikolaysen - Touch My Life With Summer (Norway - 1975)

Very low Norwegian positions in 70s always were a big mystery for me. Ellen Nikolaysen received only 11 points and finished in a bottom 2 (only higher than Turkish debut).

The song is a love ballad, she singing to a lover and describing her feelings about the relationship they had over the recent summer. In the final verse, she makes mention of "what you left in me/Something that will grow, everyone will know", which is apparently a literal reference to pregnancy, rather than a figurative reference to memories, as the final lines describe the lover's return and "Then we'll be three, under the summer sun".

Interesting fact : In my 70s rankings Norway and Ireland were very powerful opponents and prevented total British domination.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Mon April 8th, 2019, 18:09

# 68. Sophie Carle - 100% D'amour (Luxembourg - 1984)

Cute pop song was represented by young Sophie Carle. She was only the fourth native Luxembourgian to represent the country.

The song is a ballad, with Carle asking to be given "100% of love" to maintain her sanity in the modern world. The unsuccessful representation by Carle on home turf caused her to place her singing career on permanent hiatus. Instead, Carle pursued an acting career, in which she is still active as of 2008.

Interesting fact : Sophie Carle was the one from favourites to win in bookmakers odds, but finished at 10th place.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Mon April 8th, 2019, 18:11

# 67. Linda Williams - Het Is Een Wonder (Netherlands - 1981)

"Het Is Een Wonder" ("It's A Miracle") is a ballad, with Williams singing about the effect that meeting her lover has had on her. She explains that she had not previously experienced happiness, but now she is surrounded by it.

Interesting fact : Linda also recorded an English-language version of her entry, under the title "I Am The Lady".

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Mon April 8th, 2019, 18:12

# 66. Heidi Bruhl - Marcel (Germany - 1963)

She was popular and beautiful singer with very sad fate.

Heidi first took part in German Eurovision selection in 1960 with Michael Jary's "Wir Wollen Niemals Auseinandergeh", which finished in second place but went on to top of German singles chart for nine weeks and sold over one million copies.

"Marcel" is sung from the perspective of a young woman telling her lover that he is moving too quickly for her. She tells him that "only a gentleman has a chance with me" and that he needs to respect that.

Interesting fact : Heidi Bruhl is my all-time # 1 favourite German singer.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Mon April 8th, 2019, 18:14

# 65. Jana Burcheska - Dance Alone (Macedonia - 2017)

Finally, something modern here. "Dance Alone" was my personal highlight of Eurovision 2017 with traditional DNQ result for my favourites.

No doubt, it's the most sexiest performance in all history of this contest.

Interesting fact : After 2014 year four different countries got their first win in my rankings. Will I continue this chain in 2019 ?

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Fri June 7th, 2019, 09:51

So many songs already mentioned here that I also liked - although some of them probably aren't well remembered by many others!

Quote Originally Posted by LastDreamer View Post
    99. Katrina and The Waves - Love Shine A Light (United Kingdom - 1997)

98. Gina G - Ooh Aah... Just A Little Bit (United Kingdom - 1996)

85. Lena Valaitis - Johnny Blue (Germany - 1981)

83. Jessica Garlick - Come Back (United Kingdom - 2002)

81. Texas Lightning - No No Never (Germany - 2006)

73. Vicky Leandros - L'amour Est Bleu (Luxembourg - 1967)

70. Bernadette - Sing Me A Song (Netherlands - 1983)
    Although the contest in which she performed took place in Ireland, it was still surprising to me that the
    Lena Valaitis runner-up entry reached the top twenty there, along with the UK winner and Irish losers.

Perhaps the Netherlands' mistake in 1983 was offering something too similar to the previous year's winner,
    while Germany's in 2006 was sending something too different from the norm! But I thought both "Sing Me
    A Song" and "No No Never" were much better than the vast majority of the other entries in those years.

# 100. Iris - Would You ? (Belgium - 2012)

Interesting fact : The semifinals were introduced in 2004 year and became the irresistible barrier for the most my favourites, but only in 2012 all songs from my top 3 didn't qualified into the final show.
    I had the vague recollection that another song by Iris, also spelled Airis, had been offered as a potential entry in a previous contest:

..... but it seems that I was mistaken, and that "Wonderful" was just an earlier single that came to the attention of the selection body, and made them realise that she was the kind of singer that they wanted to send in 2012.

# 66. Heidi Bruhl - Marcel (Germany - 1963)

She was popular and beautiful singer with very sad fate.
    I never knew until today that she had died in 1991.....the single from that year that I bought must have been one of the last that she released:

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Fri July 19th, 2019, 06:27

Sophie Carle invented indie pop out-of-tune way of singing over the bubblegum beat
    In all honesty, I love "100% d'amour", on the night the backing sound was apparently too loud for Sophie so she couldn't hear anything and sung it by memory.

I enjoy the studio version of "Dance Alone", but it didn't sound good live at all. What concers the "sexiest performance" title, I am not entirely sure. At least it was rather reserved, far from the sheer desperation of the mid 00s acts (Poland 2004, Romania 2004, Andorra 2006).

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Fri July 19th, 2019, 06:35

Cat Cat's "Bye Bye Baby" is in the top 10 of my 1994, but for quite a different reason. An uptempo in a national language was a daring move for a country like Finland, plus the backing dancers were eye-capturing.
    One of the most beloved entries in Finland, they even managed to make an ad (cheaper loans, lower interest rate ) on the back of the song's anniversary.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun July 21st, 2019, 17:36

# 64. Sophie - Une Chanson C'est Une Lettre (Monaco - 1975)

My favourite Monegasque entry is a ballad, in which Sophie explains that one can say things in song or poetry that one ordinarily could not in real life. The classic example of this is the phrase "I love you", which prompts the comment that "Love on stage doesn't match love/In real life". Sophie also sings that the phrase "Let's both leave on that ship" is something she could not say in real life but finds easy to sing.

Interesting fact : "Une Chanson C'est Une Lettre " was composed by Andre Popp, who previously had written Vicky Leandros' 1967 entry "L'amour Est Bleu".