Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LastDreamer
    Manager
    • 01 Feb 2019

# 69. Ellen Nikolaysen - Touch My Life With Summer (Norway - 1975)

Very low Norwegian positions in 70s always were a big mystery for me. Ellen Nikolaysen received only 11 points and finished in a bottom 2 (only higher than Turkish debut).

The song is a love ballad, she singing to a lover and describing her feelings about the relationship they had over the recent summer. In the final verse, she makes mention of "what you left in me/Something that will grow, everyone will know", which is apparently a literal reference to pregnancy, rather than a figurative reference to memories, as the final lines describe the lover's return and "Then we'll be three, under the summer sun".

Interesting fact : In my 70s rankings Norway and Ireland were very powerful opponents and prevented total British domination.
    In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• LastDreamer
      Manager
      • 01 Feb 2019

# 68. Sophie Carle - 100% D'amour (Luxembourg - 1984)

Cute pop song was represented by young Sophie Carle. She was only the fourth native Luxembourgian to represent the country.

The song is a ballad, with Carle asking to be given "100% of love" to maintain her sanity in the modern world. The unsuccessful representation by Carle on home turf caused her to place her singing career on permanent hiatus. Instead, Carle pursued an acting career, in which she is still active as of 2008.

Interesting fact : Sophie Carle was the one from favourites to win in bookmakers odds, but finished at 10th place.
      In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• LastDreamer
        Manager
        • 01 Feb 2019

# 67. Linda Williams - Het Is Een Wonder (Netherlands - 1981)

"Het Is Een Wonder" ("It's A Miracle") is a ballad, with Williams singing about the effect that meeting her lover has had on her. She explains that she had not previously experienced happiness, but now she is surrounded by it.

Interesting fact : Linda also recorded an English-language version of her entry, under the title "I Am The Lady".

Comment

• LastDreamer
          Manager
          • 01 Feb 2019

# 66. Heidi Bruhl - Marcel (Germany - 1963)

She was popular and beautiful singer with very sad fate.

Heidi first took part in German Eurovision selection in 1960 with Michael Jary's "Wir Wollen Niemals Auseinandergeh", which finished in second place but went on to top of German singles chart for nine weeks and sold over one million copies.

"Marcel" is sung from the perspective of a young woman telling her lover that he is moving too quickly for her. She tells him that "only a gentleman has a chance with me" and that he needs to respect that.

Interesting fact : Heidi Bruhl is my all-time # 1 favourite German singer.

Comment

• LastDreamer
            Manager
            • 01 Feb 2019

# 65. Jana Burcheska - Dance Alone (Macedonia - 2017)

Finally, something modern here. "Dance Alone" was my personal highlight of Eurovision 2017 with traditional DNQ result for my favourites.

No doubt, it's the most sexiest performance in all history of this contest.

Interesting fact : After 2014 year four different countries got their first win in my rankings. Will I continue this chain in 2019 ?

Comment

• CZB
              Legend
              • 20 Jan 2006

So many songs already mentioned here that I also liked - although some of them probably aren't well remembered by many others!

Originally posted by LastDreamer
              99. Katrina and The Waves - Love Shine A Light (United Kingdom - 1997)

98. Gina G - Ooh Aah... Just A Little Bit (United Kingdom - 1996)

85. Lena Valaitis - Johnny Blue (Germany - 1981)

83. Jessica Garlick - Come Back (United Kingdom - 2002)

81. Texas Lightning - No No Never (Germany - 2006)

73. Vicky Leandros - L'amour Est Bleu (Luxembourg - 1967)

70. Bernadette - Sing Me A Song (Netherlands - 1983)
              Although the contest in which she performed took place in Ireland, it was still surprising to me that the
              Lena Valaitis runner-up entry reached the top twenty there, along with the UK winner and Irish losers.

Perhaps the Netherlands' mistake in 1983 was offering something too similar to the previous year's winner,
              while Germany's in 2006 was sending something too different from the norm! But I thought both "Sing Me
              A Song" and "No No Never" were much better than the vast majority of the other entries in those years.

# 100. Iris - Would You ? (Belgium - 2012)

Interesting fact : The semifinals were introduced in 2004 year and became the irresistible barrier for the most my favourites, but only in 2012 all songs from my top 3 didn't qualified into the final show.
              I had the vague recollection that another song by Iris, also spelled Airis, had been offered as a potential entry in a previous contest:

..... but it seems that I was mistaken, and that "Wonderful" was just an earlier single that came to the attention of the selection body, and made them realise that she was the kind of singer that they wanted to send in 2012.

# 66. Heidi Bruhl - Marcel (Germany - 1963)

She was popular and beautiful singer with very sad fate.
              I never knew until today that she had died in 1991.....the single from that year that I bought must have been one of the last that she released:

~~~~~~~ Counting down 1st - 5th January 2024 - The UKMixParade Top 200 of 2023 ~~~~~~~

Comment

• heppolo
                Legend
                • 17 May 2009

Sophie Carle invented indie pop out-of-tune way of singing over the bubblegum beat
                In all honesty, I love "100% d'amour", on the night the backing sound was apparently too loud for Sophie so she couldn't hear anything and sung it by memory.

I enjoy the studio version of "Dance Alone", but it didn't sound good live at all. What concers the "sexiest performance" title, I am not entirely sure. At least it was rather reserved, far from the sheer desperation of the mid 00s acts (Poland 2004, Romania 2004, Andorra 2006).
                Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• heppolo
                  Legend
                  • 17 May 2009

Cat Cat's "Bye Bye Baby" is in the top 10 of my 1994, but for quite a different reason. An uptempo in a national language was a daring move for a country like Finland, plus the backing dancers were eye-capturing.
                  One of the most beloved entries in Finland, they even managed to make an ad (cheaper loans, lower interest rate ) on the back of the song's anniversary.

Comment

• LastDreamer
                    Manager
                    • 01 Feb 2019

# 64. Sophie - Une Chanson C'est Une Lettre (Monaco - 1975)

My favourite Monegasque entry is a ballad, in which Sophie explains that one can say things in song or poetry that one ordinarily could not in real life. The classic example of this is the phrase "I love you", which prompts the comment that "Love on stage doesn't match love/In real life". Sophie also sings that the phrase "Let's both leave on that ship" is something she could not say in real life but finds easy to sing.

Interesting fact : "Une Chanson C'est Une Lettre " was composed by Andre Popp, who previously had written Vicky Leandros' 1967 entry "L'amour Est Bleu".

Comment

• LastDreamer
                      Manager
                      • 01 Feb 2019

# 63. Michelle - Wer Liebe Lebt (Germany - 2001)

It was 6th and last win for Germany in my yearly Eurovision rankings. In this contest we had two singers under name Michelle, but for German act it was only the stage name of singer Tanja Hewer.

Interesting fact : Almost 2 decades after she still successful and her last album "Tabu" (2018) peaked at # 4 in Germany.

Comment

• heppolo
                        Legend
                        • 17 May 2009

"Wer Liebe Lebt" is alright, it's currently in my top 10 for 2001, but the one thing I do remember is that during the live performance Michelle really failed to reach that big note

Comment

• LastDreamer
                          Manager
                          • 01 Feb 2019

# 62. Ireen Sheer - Feuer (Germany - 1978)

Germany really wanted to win (at least in my ranking of 1978) and sent fantastic "Feuer", but got only silver medal here and 6th place in the real contest. Ireen Sheer already represented Luxembourg in my favourite ESC year and that entry "Bye Bye I Love You" finished 4th in Eurovision and very near with my all-time top 100.

Interesting fact : She was born and spent her school days in United Kingdom.

Comment

• Mainshow
                            Legend
                            • 06 Apr 2012

"Feuer" deserved to get a Top 5 placing. It's a bit underrated among German fans as well. I'm glad you like it that much!

"Wer Liebe lebt" <3 - I usually don't listen to Schlager (apart from Helene Fischer) but that song was absolutely amazing! I loved Michelle's performance. It was incredible, emotional and passionate. She deserved to end up being Top 5 as well, in my opinion. One of my favourite entries from Germany.
                            Last edited by Mainshow; Wed July 31, 2019, 14:56.
                            Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Comment

• LastDreamer
                              Manager
                              • 01 Feb 2019

# 61. Anita Skorgan - Casanova (Norway - 1977)

After Gisela's song at # 72 we have another "Casanova" a little higher. Anita Skorgan represented Norway in Eurovision Song Contest a total of three times, it was her first attempt with only 14th place result.

The song is an up-tempo number, with Skorgan describing her husband, who is absent at the time. She is uncomplimentary about this, singing that he sees himself as a Casanova or a Don Juan figure, and this irritates her. In this particular instance, he claimed he was going for a walk, but "his suit and car are gone", implying something else.

Interesting fact : All Norwegian entries from my Top 100 belong to 70s decade.

Comment

• Mainshow
                                Legend
                                • 06 Apr 2012

I haven never listened to "Casanova" before. How cute and charming. What a joyful arrangement. Thanks for introducing it to me.
                                #14 place is rather shocking. The song itself would have been suitable for a theme song of a 70s series

Comment

• Mainshow
                                  Legend
                                  • 06 Apr 2012

I haven never listened to "Casanova" before. How cute and charming. What a joyful arrangement. Thanks for introducing it to me.
                                  #14 place is rather shocking. The song itself would have been suitable for a theme song of a 70s series

Comment

• heppolo
                                    Legend
                                    • 17 May 2009

Interesting fact : All Norwegian entries from my Top 100 belong to 70s decade.
                                    "Casanova" is a good song, but out of all Norwegian 70s entries I am too drawn to Jahn Teigen's epic car crash of "Mil Etter Mil" (which Anita also sings occasionally)

Comment

• Mainshow
                                      Legend
                                      • 06 Apr 2012

Oh.. this means that my favourite entry from Norway (2006) won't be part of your countdown

Comment

• LastDreamer
                                        Manager
                                        • 01 Feb 2019

Originally posted by Mainshow
                                        Jury was very unfair to wonderful Norwegian 70s entries. Of course it's not last song from this country, more masterpieces still to come include "The most underrated Eurovision song in all long history of this contest".

Comment

• LastDreamer
                                          Manager
                                          • 01 Feb 2019

Originally posted by Mainshow
                                          One of my favourite entries from Germany.
                                          Only one country have more songs than Germany in this ranking.

Germany in this decade
                                          8 / 10 : Lena Meyer-Landrut - Satellite (2nd place in 2010)
                                          7 / 10 : Lena Meyer-Landrut - Taken By A Stranger (5th place in 2011)
                                          6 / 10 : Cascada - Glorious (7th place in 2013)
                                          5 / 10 : Levina - Perfect Life (8th place in 2017)
                                          4 / 10 : Sisters - Sister (17th place in 2019)
                                          4 / 10 : Michael Schulte - You Let Me Walk Alone (17th place in 2018)
                                          4 / 10 : Elaiza - Is It Right (21st place in 2014)
                                          4 / 10 : Jamie-Lee Kriewitz - Ghost (19th place in 2016)
                                          4 / 10 : Ann Sophie - Black Smoke (20th place in 2015)
                                          3 / 10 : Roman Lob - Standing Still (28th place in 2012)

Average : 4.90
                                          5th place from 46 countries in this decade.

8 / 10 is enough for this list, so sooner or later we will see "Satellite" here.
                                          Last edited by LastDreamer; Wed July 31, 2019, 16:17.

Comment

Working...