Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu March 21st, 2019, 20:03

this is not a drill???? is it???? are we actually getting this???! (single cover is incredible)

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 22nd, 2019, 07:36

I thought this was never going to happen. Bring it on!!
    i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 22nd, 2019, 13:51

can´t wait! I hope she delivers after all this time

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 22nd, 2019, 20:14

I'm so excited about this!! The single is being commented by so many sites and magazines like Consequence of Sound, Pitchfork, Stereogum, Paper Magazine, Idolator and other. I really hope that she killing with this song

Legend
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed March 27th, 2019, 16:13

I can't describe how hauntingly beautiful this song is. Sky has really put her everything into this track. The first minute of strings and bass before we even hear her voice, whew.

Sonically it sounds like a progression of Night Time, My Time (the title track of the album). It reminds me of Twin Peaks, though it's difficult to dissociate that show from Sky considering what a massive fan she is (and she did act in the reboot).

If you get time you should read her fantastic Pitchfork feature. Here's an excerpt about the single from it.

“Downhill Lullaby” summons the creeping orchestral gloom of “Night Time, My Time.” A sweeping arrangement in five parts, Masochism’s first single begins with a sashay of strings and an interpolation of the unmistakable squee of the Verve’s “Bitter Sweet Symphony,” followed by a murmuring, angered bass. Sky exhales a numb indictment—“You leave me open/When you hit me”—and amid the layers of kettle-drum thunder and keening violins, there’s seduction and revenge, confusion and queasiness, silkiness and elegance. It sounds like the last thing Daniel Day Lewis’ Reynolds Woodcock hears before the poison takes hold in Phantom Thread.

This habit of visualizing music—Sky does it too. Except for her, it’s the first step of many in the song creation process: “I see it like it’s projected in a movie theater.” “Downhill Lullaby,” in particular, began with a vision of water in darkness. “Lakes kind of terrify me,” she explains, recalling a childhood memory of feeling lost in a Maryland forest that packs a similar unease. “In a lake, by yourself, you look at the bottom and it’s murky and still and you can’t really see anything or feel anything—and if you do, it’s fucking terrifying. It always feels like something will grab you and pull you under.” The eeriness became the foundation for the song.

She likens the ordeal of making “Downhill Lullaby” to Mickey Mouse’s Fantasia turn as the sorcerer’s apprentice. “You know how all the brooms are making a gigantic mess and the water starts rising and rising and rising and rising?” she says. “It was sort of like that: Magical, but at the same time, ‘What is going on?’ And then cleaning it all up.”

Superstar
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed March 27th, 2019, 16:19

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmusik View Post
    It reminds me of Twin Peaks, though it's difficult to dissociate that show from Sky considering what a massive fan she is (and she did act in the reboot).
    She was in like 1 minute of a 10 hour show.

Legend
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed March 27th, 2019, 16:29

Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    She was in like 1 minute of a 10 hour show.
    2...maybe 3 minutes of an intense Sky ft armpit

Though Sky does talk about his work all the time, which has undoubtedly influenced her visuals and music (and he's a fan of hers as well).

Superstar
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed March 27th, 2019, 16:32

No, she's definitely a fan, but I find it funny people mention her acting in Twin Peaks as if she had a prominent role when it was blink or miss moment. The log got more screen time.

Legend
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed March 27th, 2019, 16:37

I mean nobody said she was a main cast actor and the log is a legend.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed March 27th, 2019, 16:43

It gets mentioned a lot by fans and publications which gives off an impression she had a noticeable/important role there, which she didn't if we're being real. It's more of a cute cameo. It would be the same as if people mentioned Chester Bennington in Saw or Fergie in Poseidon every time they had a chance. Sure, TP is a cult show, but just because you were a crack whore in it at the end of one episode doesn't mean it's one of your greatest accomplishments. It might be something you're happy you did because you respect the show and the author, but still...

Log is a legend though!

Legend
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed March 27th, 2019, 17:38

People tend to mention the show because of the profound effect it's had on Sky's work, rather than her being an integral figure within the reboot. I don't think Poseidon had quite the same influence on The Dutchess. Plus Sky does have a working relationship with David Lynch, performing at his benefits, festivals etc (and journalists also haven't had a lot to write about when it comes to Sky post-NTMT lbr).

I mean it may all seem a bit Rita Ora mentioning her blink and you'll miss it role in Twilight to anyone who'll listen, but Sky's connection to the show is so much more than her cameo moment.

Legend
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed March 27th, 2019, 20:41

It's great - produced by Dean Hurley - he worked on the recent Twin Peaks soundtrack.

Oh and it seems The Rolling Stones aren't getting more royalties:

This quote is incredible:
    These impatient fans aren’t alone in their enthusiasm. “She’s one of those beautiful, rare people who can probably do anything,” says Debbie Harry, who’s had Sky open for Blondie. “If there’s anybody I would ever be jealous of, it would be her.”

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 30th, 2019, 19:53

Wait at all of my faves suddenly coming out of the woodwork after years of silence.

This is divine.

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 30th, 2019, 19:57

Second listen and I don't want to say it was worth the wait (CAUSE IT WAS 5 YEARS!!!).. But OMG!

This is the best thing I've heard in a very long time, perhaps among the best ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon April 1st, 2019, 16:51

Oh my god, i love this song! What a comeback!