Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 143rd FSC (Apr. 2019) - KˇpavogsbŠr, Iceland (Ni­urst÷­ur)

Legend
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)

by Mon April 15th, 2019, 03:58

TÝmi til a­ kjˇsa! Time to VOTE!

It's raining all week in KˇpavogsbŠr, so there's plenty of time for you to settle down and listen to this month's wonderfully diverse collection!

PM me your favorite songs, using this format:

[Name of country voting]
    12 points ___________________(favorite country)
    10 points ______________________
    08 points ______________________
    07 points ______________________
    06 points ______________________
    05 points ______________________
    04 points ______________________
    03 points ______________________
    02 points ______________________
    01 point _______________________(10th favorite country)
    [11th fav
    12th fav - LAST TWO NON-MANDATORY]

Deadline: April 27

Legend
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)

by Mon April 15th, 2019, 17:12

voted. There were some good and catchy songs in this month's bunch
    Waffles are checked cookies

Superstar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

by Tue April 16th, 2019, 17:29

Your map shows that Mongolia is also involved in FSC.

Legend
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)

by Tue April 16th, 2019, 18:08

Quote Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
    Your map shows that Mongolia is also involved in FSC.
    I know! I swear I didn't select it. I feel like maploco was trying to make some sort of weird political statement, by including it whenever I picked China.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

by Thu April 18th, 2019, 01:42

I only listened to the list once. I can already tell I have one or two favorites

Manager
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

by Fri April 19th, 2019, 07:26

This month is GREAT. 2019 started very weak (with the most underwhelming months ever) but March and this one totally averaged it.

I didn't dislike ANY song and I would totally have voted for 15 entries, bc it was hard to cut 5. I'm pretty happy with my Top 10 though.

My #1 was always clear and I'm cheering for it, but I could see like 10 of these songs winning so I'm perched to see results (also pretty disappointed I didn't select a flop entry for this month since I think my song -which I think is one my strongest- may be missing the winning title by a little bit like last month lol).

P.S.: I actually wondered if there was a country called "Tansike"

Manager
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

by Fri April 19th, 2019, 07:38

Also, I think Mainshow's entry is REALLY arguable for DQ (or a reclassification since there's none Spain entry this month.

I was shocked to see ┴lvaro Soler as a German entry since: a) he was born and lives in Spain; b) his work, language and influence is all Spanish; c) we already had an entry from him with Spain a few months ago.

In his defense, his father is German. But with that logic, I could present a Christina Aguilera entry with Ecuador.

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

by Fri April 19th, 2019, 09:20

Quote Originally Posted by HC55555 View Post
    Also, I think Mainshow's entry is REALLY arguable for DQ (or a reclassification since there's none Spain entry this month.

I was shocked to see ┴lvaro Soler as a German entry since: a) he was born and lives in Spain; b) his work, language and influence is all Spanish; c) we already had an entry from him with Spain a few months ago.

In his defense, his father is German. But with that logic, I could present a Christina Aguilera entry with Ecuador.
    My German entry is, with no doubt, eligible. Some parts of the comment above are wrong: Alvaro Tauchert [German last name] Soler might not have been born in Germany (since he was born in Barcelona, Spain) but he's a German citizen [he's got both - a Spanish and a German citizenship], his father is German, he speaks German fluently, he attended a German school (also when his family lived in Tokyo, Japan) and he currently lives and works in Berlin, Germany, and he has also written songs in German for other artists as well. He's eligible for both countries (Spain and Germany).
    My entry is perfectly fine and totally eligible ;)

Btw, In previous editions, we have had similar cases, e.g. Ivan Dorn representing Russia as well as Ukraine; or Troye Sivan representing both South Africa and Australia.
    Last edited by Mainshow; Fri April 19th, 2019 at 09:37.
    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

by Fri April 19th, 2019, 09:23

P.S.: I actually wondered if there was a country called "Tansike"
    <3 OMG I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS! @Tansike

Manager
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

by Fri April 19th, 2019, 09:34

Well, I guess you made some points but there's no denying that song is more Spain-representing than German.

It reminded me of Argentina's only win ever in this contest - by some duet featuring a girl who was born in Buenos Aires but then moved to Canada or something. That song had NOTHING to do with Argentina, nobody in my country knows that duet and despite y'all obviously hate Arg folk so I have to try to go for an international-like indie/pop sound, it's a pity my country could only win with an impostor entry.

(another pity is that Peru could have won with an all-folk entry but y'all robbed it by some generic song that usually win this contest but let me stop mixing issues ).

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

by Fri April 19th, 2019, 09:43

I know what you mean but we do have a clear rule here which makes totally sense.
    We pick artists based on their origin/citzenship; not because of the language they chose to sing or which "cultural influence" their song/s has/have.

We also had "Frei.wild" for Italy once. They are - with no doubt - an Italian band since they are from South Tirol (SŘdtirol), even though they basically just perform songs in German.

Personally, I think we have to stick to this rule, otherwise it will become all messy or more restricted.
    I mean, Alvaro does have the German citzenship and currently lives in Berlin. I don't know what kind of language would prevent German citizens to represent Germany. - The only way is to come up with a rule stating that ONLY official language can be submitted but I'm pretty sure that 99% of ukmix wouldn't approve

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

by Fri April 19th, 2019, 09:59

Voted - Good month, even though I do have a clear favourite this time, I have had a range of many entries I wanted to give points to!
    @cheapthrills Have you received my points? Strangely, they don't appear in my inbox as sent message.
    Last edited by Mainshow; Fri April 19th, 2019 at 10:01.

Legend
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)

by Fri April 19th, 2019, 10:11

@cheapthrills
    Song summary table: The Chinese entry links to Norway's video!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Fri April 19th, 2019, 10:51

Quote Originally Posted by Mainshow View Post
    Have you received my points? Strangely, they don't appear in my inbox as sent message.
    Same.
    Top 10 - 07.12.2019.

Legend
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)

by Fri April 19th, 2019, 13:43

@Mainshow @Top10 I have received your votes. I think there's a setting you need to select to preserve your sent messages.

Thanks @trebor, and I'm glad you're back

Legend
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

by Fri April 19th, 2019, 14:29

I know what you mean but we do have a clear rule here which makes totally sense.
    We pick artists based on their origin/citzenship; not because of the language they chose to sing or which "cultural influence" their song/s has/have.

We also had "Frei.wild" for Italy once. They are - with no doubt - an Italian band since they are from South Tirol (SŘdtirol), even though they basically just perform songs in German.

Personally, I think we have to stick to this rule, otherwise it will become all messy or more restricted.
    I mean, Alvaro does have the German citzenship and currently lives in Berlin. I don't know what kind of language would prevent German citizens to represent Germany. - The only way is to come up with a rule stating that ONLY official language can be submitted but I'm pretty sure that 99% of ukmix wouldn't approve
    It's amazing that we have a rule asking for citizenship lol... for how many artists can we really know what countries' citizenships they hold?
    Last edited by jio; Fri April 19th, 2019 at 14:35.

Legend
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

by Fri April 19th, 2019, 14:29

It's amazing that we have a rule asking for citizenship lol... for how many artists can we really know what countries' citizenships they hold?
    Last edited by jio; Fri April 19th, 2019 at 14:35.

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

by Fri April 19th, 2019, 15:37

Quote Originally Posted by jio View Post
    It would be a questionable rule if it only consisted of "asking for citizenship" but that's not the only criterion. It's more like an addition, a lift to the "origin" part of the same rule.

03. The artist you choose has either to be a citizen of the country they'll represent or to have been born there.
    So your artist either has to be born in the country (origin) [which will be easy to look up or get to know] or, as an addition to expand that "limited" rule, the artist has to be a citizen of that country [which allows us to take artist for a country where they chose to live in/be part of that society/etc. There are many cases in which the artist's origin consists of more than on ethnicity or the artist just might be born in a different country, etc.].

Legend
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)

by Fri April 19th, 2019, 17:19

I did check on Alvaro when Mainshow submitted it because Alvaro has been submitted for Spain in the past so I was confused. Everything checked out though.

Hysterical re: Tansike. I corrected it Funny that it fit alphabetically either way.

Legend
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)

by Fri April 19th, 2019, 17:57

I agree with HC55555 that I really enjoyed this month - it's one of the most diverse months we've had, and when i pared down my list, I had about fifteen songs to choose from. Probably on a different day the song would have been in a different order. There were three songs I already knew, which is unusual for me.

Also, nice catch for westhammer to get the US after the reservation ran out!

EDIT: With just five voters so far, every song has already received points.

Legend
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

by Fri April 19th, 2019, 19:53

It would be a questionable rule if it only consisted of "asking for citizenship" but that's not the only criterion. It's more like an addition, a lift to the "origin" part of the same rule.

So your artist either has to be born in the country (origin) [which will be easy to look up or get to know] or, as an addition to expand that "limited" rule, the artist has to be a citizen of that country [which allows us to take artist for a country where they chose to live in/be part of that society/etc. There are many cases in which the artist's origin consists of more than on ethnicity or the artist just might be born in a different country, etc.].
    When that rule was introduced it limited the scope a lot and unnecessarily. For example I was told once that I could not enter a Moroccan/French singer born and living in France (but holding regular concerts in Morocco) and singing in Arabic for Morocco (despite half the Moroccan show business being located in France anyway) unless I can prove that he still holds Moroccan citizenship (which of course I couldn't). When I protested that Arabic language and Moroccan origins make the song more Moroccan than French I was told that France is a multicultural society (as if I didn't know). It's unneeded stuff like that that always lead to arguments in this game (or at least it did so before). I don't mind you entering Alvaro with Germany since he has a link with that country. But citizenship is not the only way to prove such links.

Manager
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

by Sat April 20th, 2019, 00:13

With that logic, I could present Shakira with Spain or Madonna with Portugal. But OK work.
    Last edited by HC55555; Sat April 20th, 2019 at 03:22.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by Sat April 20th, 2019, 02:54

I promised myself to not ever get involve again when it comes to this contest rules but i can't help and feel like there is always double standards to this!!!

3 years ago I was denied having Dua Lipa presenting Kosovo, despite her having dual citizenship, both parents from Kosovo, herself she lived in Kosovo etc etc.

Legend
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

by Sat April 20th, 2019, 04:13

With that logic, I could present Shakira with Spain or Madonna with Portugal. But OK work.
    If Madonna's parents were Portugueese and she made a career recording Portugueese fado, why not?

Manager
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

by Sat April 20th, 2019, 09:29

Quote Originally Posted by jio View Post
    If Madonna's parents were Portugueese and she made a career recording Portugueese fado, why not?
    My point exactly. ┴lvaro Soler only has one German parent. He released Spanish albums and singles only. He's a superstar in Spain only. He appeared in at least 7 Spanish TV talent shows since 2013 and was nominated as Best Spanish Act in MTV's Europe Music Awards in 2016. His only connection to Germany is his citizenship, same as Shakira with Spain and Madonna with Portugal.