Thread: Britney Spears checks into mental health facility

Legend
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed April 3rd, 2019, 22:30

Britney Spears Checks Into Mental Health Facility

Britney Spears has checked into a psychiatric facility after suffering from emotional distress, a source confirms to Variety.

The 37 year-old singer was admitted over a week ago, as first reported by TMZ, and is expected to remain in treatment for a month.

Spears has been troubled over the past year by her father’s health crisis. Jamie Spears recently underwent a second surgery to fix a ruptured colon.

In November, the “…Baby, One More Time” pop star put her Las Vegas residency on hold to look after her dad. She wrote on Instagram: “A couple of months ago, my father was hospitalized and almost died. We’re all so grateful that he came out of it alive, but he still has a long road ahead of him. I had to make the difficult decision to put my full focus and energy on my family at this time.”

Spears’ mental issues date back to 2007 when the pop star infamously shaved her head and attacked the paparazzi with an umbrella. She later checked into the psych ward at UCLA’s Medical Center.

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/...ty-1203179927/
    If true, then good on her for getting the help she needs - hopefully, she'll be fine, having sought out the help she needs.

Legend
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu April 4th, 2019, 03:28

this is actually so sad rooting for you Britney conversely her next era is going to be huge due to this.... everyone will forever be rooting for Britney Spears.... most unproblematic queen
    Forever Young

Superstar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu April 4th, 2019, 13:01

How does this sort of information become public in the first place? I thought patient confidentiality was a thing?

Legend
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu April 4th, 2019, 13:30

Quote Originally Posted by ludichris View Post
    How does this sort of information become public in the first place? I thought patient confidentiality was a thing?
    In Britney's case things never work that way unfortunatelty.

I'm glad and respect that she's doing this, taking breaks and doing what she needs when she needs to do it.

There are some bad comments on the internet and I don't get why, Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez always receive praise whenever they get into mental health institutes / rehab. Britney should receive praise for this too, she's doing the right thing.
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Legend
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu April 4th, 2019, 17:57

Hope she recovers. This hits close to home since I was hospitalized a few years ago for emotional fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLeonix View Post
    There are some bad comments on the internet and I don't get why, Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez always receive praise whenever they get into mental health institutes / rehab.
    That's not true, and it's odd that you'd think that. There's always a group of people who have had negative things to say about them, especially concerning their mental health. This applies to every pop girl who has fallen on their luck in some way. I empathize with Britney in this case, but the fact that you claim that Selena and Demi always get praised for similar situations is just not realistic. No one is safe from criticism.
    Last edited by Postgenic; Thu April 4th, 2019 at 18:00.

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu April 4th, 2019, 19:05

Poor Brit. Glad she is getting the help she needs. I just hope after this, she decides her herself what is best for her. If that means, no more music and tours, please do that.
    i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging

Legend
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu April 4th, 2019, 22:10

She should just quit the business and enjoy the life with her kids and her family. She has enough money for several lifetimes.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Legend
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu April 4th, 2019, 22:15

Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy View Post
    She should just quit the business and enjoy the life with her kids and her family. She has enough money for several lifetimes.
    Maybe that's the best for her even though I would really miss her music, but it would be totally understandable.

I hope she will be fine.
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Legend
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri April 5th, 2019, 02:43

Celine shows supports to Britney and says she'll comeback stronger.

Legend
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri April 5th, 2019, 03:01

Britney's been there for a week already and she's doing fine.

On Wednesday, it was reported that the 37-year-old pop star had checked herself into a mental health facility to help cope with her father's Jamie Spears' illness, months after he suffered a ruptured colon. Britney later wrote on Instagram, "We all need to take time for a little 'me time.'" In January, the singer announced she was taking an indefinite work hiatus.

"Britney decided to do this on her own," a source close Britney told E! News about her recent treatment. "It had a lot to do with the stress of her father, but both Jamie and Britney are doing much better. It's the hope that in the next week or so everything will be more stabilized, but she'll be at this wellness facility for a few weeks."

"She's already been there for a week," the source continued. "It's not a rehab for drugs or alcohol, not a place she formally checks into and begins a 'program,' per say. This place affords her the opportunity to rejuvenate and rest, it gives her the ability to recharge with some real peace and quiet, so she's taking a few weeks to do that."

Britney's loved ones have rallied behind her. Her mother Lynn Spears shared an inspirational post. Britney's boyfriend Sam Asghari praised her on social media, writing on his Instagram Story, "It isn't weakness, it's a sign of absolute strength, people should only be inspired by this, at least I am." And her ex-husband Kevin Federline, with whom she shares two sons, "commends Britney for recognizing that she needs to take a step back and that she is taking reasonable steps to dealing with her situation in a responsible way," his attorney told ET.

The source added that Britney's father "seems to be on the mend."

"Jamie is a strong person but his recovery took longer than he expected," the source said. "He seems to be getting better, just slowly. After Britney is done at the wellness center, her next move really depends on Jamie and how he's doing, so she'll assess that when the time comes."

Legend
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri April 5th, 2019, 03:56

I actually think Music is what keeps her going oddly enough
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri April 5th, 2019, 16:13

Quote Originally Posted by Loveguru View Post
    I actually think Music is what keeps her going oddly enough
    She knows nothing else. Surely if she hated being a popstar she'd have quit by now... it's not like she couldn't make money just by being her. Good on her for putting her health and family first.

Legend
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat April 6th, 2019, 03:17

Britney Spears Changed The Way We Talk About Mental Health — And Now, She Deserves Nothing But Support

When the news broke on Wednesday, April 3, that Britney Spears was reportedly seeking treatment to cope with her dad's recent illness, fans applauded her decision. (Jamie Spears reportedly suffered from a colon rupture, according to People, and has undergone several surgeries in recent months.) "We all need to take time for a little 'me time,'" Spears wrote on Instagram, and supporters full-heartedly agreed.

This overall gracious and kind public response to Spears' reported decision to get help is a reminder of how far we've come in our understanding of mental health, thanks in part to Spears and other pop culture icons who have publicly battled mental illness. No longer is a celebrity seeking mental health treatment treated as tabloid fodder. For the most part, it is recognized as a sign of strength that could help others get the help they need. What a difference a decade makes.

Back in 2007, when Spears was struggling with her mental health in the public eye, it was treated with little sensitivity or empathy. Moments of instability — the shaving of her head or umbrella attack on the paparazzi following her every move — were played for shock and awe with headlines that included derogatory terms like "meltdown" and "breakdown." And it wasn't just tabloids. News organizations like CBS added to the stigma of Spears seeking treatment, posting a timeline of "Britney's meltdown" in 2007, while MTV went further with a 2008 post titled, "Britney Spears' Downward Spiral: A Timeline of Tumult." And it wasn't just Spears who was attacked. This was unfortunately how mental health was covered back then — in 2010, Gawker ran a "A Visual Timeline of Lindsay Lohan's Fall From Grace" that included mentions of her time in rehab.

It's surprising to look back now and see how Spears was covered in the late 2000s by the news, especially considering the fact that the singer herself attempted to tell her story in 2007. Three months after Spears' bald head was splashed across every magazine cover in February of 2007 and after a trip to rehab, she wrote a letter to fans on her website about what led her to seek treatment. "I confess," the then 25-year-old Spears wrote, according to MTV. "I was so lost."

"Recently, I was sent to a very humbling place called rehab," she wrote. "I truly hit rock bottom. Till this day I don't think that it was alcohol or depression. I was like a bad kid running around with ADD." (In 2016, Spears told Marie Claire UK that she suffers from severe anxiety that led to the 2007 incident. “If a hair was out of place, I’d be so anxious," she said of what it was like for her then. "I would get very anxious about so many things.”)

Spears should have never felt as if she needed to explain herself, but it's understandable why she would. Spears' troubles were played for laughs on late night shows making fun of her mental health and her parenting. "Britney Spears's two-and-a-half year old son, Sean Preston, was photographed holding a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. Did you see that?," Tonight Show host Jay Leno said in 2008. "Pretty shocking. Britney said it's not as bad as it looks. She said the kid only smokes when he's been drinking."

Late Late Show host Craig Ferguson was the exception. In early 2007, he delivered a monologue explaining that he wouldn't poke fun at Spears because comedy "should be about attacking the powerful — the politicians, the Trumps, the blowhards — going after them. We shouldn’t be attacking the vulnerable.”

And that's what Spears was at that time — vulnerable. Jokes were being made at her expense while she was experiencing something serious, despite few people in the press treating it that way. With her letter, Spears might have felt as if she had to prove to the world she wasn't on drugs or going "crazy." That's how seeking help was seen in 2007 — a last resort, something to be ashamed of.

Twelve years later, there is more understanding of the pressures that not only come with being a celebrity, but being human, as illustrated by the current response to Spears' reported decision to seek treatment. There is also a more progressive vocabulary associated with mental health. Seeking treatment is luckily no longer code for "breakdown," it's a form of self-care that celebrates putting one's own personal mental health needs first.

In the years since Spears wrote that letter, more celebrities have felt inclined to open up about their own mental health struggles. Emma Stone and Selena Gomez have talked openly about their anxiety. Demi Lovato has opened up about her struggles with substance abuse multiple times in the past decade. Oprah Winfrey just announced that she's making a documentary about mental health with Apple. And on the heels of the news about Spears, Justin Bieber posted a therapy selfie to show that it's "cool to have a healthy mind and healthy emotions."

In many ways, what Spears endured in 2007 paved the way for honest discussions like the ones these other celebrities are having with their fans. It also helped so many people understand how to talk about mental health in a better way to understand. As Spears boyfriend Sam Asghari wrote on Instagram, seeking treatment "isn't weakness, it's a sign of absolute strength, people should only be inspired by this."

Now, once again, Spears is pushing the conversation surrounding mental health forward. This time, though, she's getting the kind of love and support she deserved all along.
    Source: https://www.bustle.com/p/the-5-best-...lasses-8384418

Legend
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat April 6th, 2019, 09:39

Hmm... I disagree with that article. Britney didn’t start the conversation or open up any door towards mental health attitudes. She never discussed the specifics of what happened, what diagnosis she had etc. She hasn’t campaigned or championed mental health care as a result and basically airbrushed 2007 out of her career.

When she shaved her head we all thought she was drunk or high - typical pop star stuff (note: pop stars aren’t allowed to do ‘typical pop star stuff’ anymore). The umbrella thing? The paparazzi have always been fair game. We didn’t think mental health issues, because quite simply she had form at this point - a drunken/high moment a few years beforehand lead to her getting married in Vegas on a whim, we had seen Chaotic and knew she had cheated on Justin - the whole innocent girl PR persona was a lie and we all knew it.

I do remember thinking back then that things were very close to the knife... it was almost a case of when - not if - it would be announced she had died. We simply didn’t know if she would make it. I know it sounds dramatic but honestly, it wouldn’t have surprised anyone if she had.

Even though she didn’t die, it’s too easy to say she survived: imo it’s only since Vegas that it’s clear she did - she wasnt recovered when she did Circus and Femme Fatale and it showed. The stability of Vegas, being away from the world and building a life (yet still performing for her public) is what really helped her recover and no wonder she wants to stay there.

That said, Circus saved her career and both that and the Femme Fatale eras made her relevant in the iTunes era again (especially in the US) and that all lead to Vegas... so who knows if there was ever a different road for her to travel. All I know is that when she’s on stage she looks genuinely happy now.

Her recent developments I think have been sort of quietly anticipated by her fans - I think it’s fair to say that her private family situation was going to take a toll on her. I had hoped she was strong enough to deal with it all, but at least she’s strong enough to not spiral now - at least I hope it’s her decision and that she’s not being forced into help: I hate the idea things could be as dark as 2007 for her (and just because she’s not shaving her head doesn’t mean they aren’t).

Legend
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat April 6th, 2019, 13:30

Quote Originally Posted by menime123 View Post
    Hmm... I disagree with that article. Britney didn’t start the conversation or open up any door towards mental health attitudes. She never discussed the specifics of what happened, what diagnosis she had etc. She hasn’t campaigned or championed mental health care as a result and basically airbrushed 2007 out of her career.
    I think the point of the article was not about Britney herself discussing or campaigning for mental health, it was about the stigma that there was about the topic over a decade ago when Britney had to face this and how much things have changed (for good) ever since, she definitely caused an influence in Hollywood without saying a single word and IMO there is a "before and after" Britney / 2007 in the way celebrities are treated by media and audiences regarding mental health these days.

IMO there was just ignorance about it, Britney was one of the very few superstars whose battles ended up public in the media and I think people didn't understand it back then, it was a time where the audience culture and media didn't allow Popstars and celebrities to be imperfect, it was all about the surface and any imperfection would be punished, take as example Mariah Carey, she's been suffering from Mental illness , was clinically diganosed with Bipolar Disorder in 2000 or 2001 and has been in treatment for nearly two decades but she kept this in total secret due to the fear of the stigma and how Hollywood and Media would react because back then there wasn't enough conscience and maturity from media to treat this, it wasn't until not that long ago that she revealed that she suffered from it and was in treatment ..... So in 2007 it was inevitable that instead of receiving understanding Britney would be mocked by media with all kinds of jokes (a situation that would definitely NOT happen today in 2019), I'm pretty sure back in 2007 not even Britney, her family and team knew how to handle this with the press and that's probably why they kept certain things locked (like Mariah did) Britney definitely had to be "the experiment" and live the stigma before people eventually realized the importance of this topic, we saw what happened and we understood that at the end Britney was just unecessarily mocked, that with ups and downs she put her career on track and that with support from her family a tragedy was avoided, she kinda changed the way people view celebrities and mental health and now every time there's a celebrity facing mental or personal struggles media and people won't make the same mistakes they did with Britney ....

.. It's easy to say that a bunch of celebrities are now open about and campaigining for mental health these days and encouraging people through social media about their struggles and therapy in 2019, but trust me, they would have not been so open 10-20 years ago.

Legend
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat April 6th, 2019, 14:18

Mental health is in a completely different place to where it was in the last decade and that has been helped a lot by celebrities being open about their own struggles. Britney is a bit of special case, because since 2007 she has been viewed differently, as if the next breakdown or episode is always just around the corner. However, if what happened to Britney in 2007 happened to Ariana Grande in 2019, it would be a different narrative.

Legend
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat April 6th, 2019, 14:50

Britney Spears’s “Me Time” Is Part of a Notable Cultural Shift Around Mental Health

More than a decade since her well-publicized struggles, Spears is far from the only pop star opening up in once-unprecedented ways.

On Wednesday, TMZ reported that, after an extended period out of the public eye, Britney Spears had checked in to a mental-health facility for a 30-day stint, as she has “been distraught over her dad’s illness.” Spears had been set to launch a new residency in Vegas earlier this year, but put those plans on hold in January as her father, Jamie Spears, underwent two surgeries related to intestinal and colon issues. According to TMZ, the second surgery happened recently, but he has been “suffering complications”—his medical troubles started late last year when his colon ruptured.

There has been an outpouring of support for Spears since the announcement, with her fans tweeting and ‘gramming their well-wishes. Her mother, Lynne Spears, seemingly addressed the events with an Instagram post urging “followers to ‘Keep Going’ under tough circumstances.” (The post has since been deleted.) Her younger sister, Jamie Lynn, posted a throwback photo of her and her younger sister from their school days, writing, “Yup, she rode the bus home with me after my first day of school, cuz she’s the fn best #WCW??*??" And Spears’s boyfriend, Sam Asghari, re-posted Britney’s post, writing, “It isn’t weakness, It’s a sign of absolute strength, people should only be inspired by this, at least I am #stronger”

This visible rallying around Britney should come as no surprise. More than a decade after what appeared to be a public breakdown led to her being placed on involuntary psychiatric hold, Spears has been largely treated with intense empathy by fans and the media, a stark contrast to the way she was probed and scrutinized, with cameras in her face at every turn, in 2007 and 2008. Since then she has built herself back up, seemingly finding peace in the routine of a successful Vegas residency. She has one of the quirkiest, most delightful Instagram accounts of any celebrity, several posts of which have shown her painting or modeling different dresses in a hallway of her home. She seems to have a nice boyfriend and gets to spend a lot of time with her kids. This is all to say: she’s seemed to be in a good place. Which makes the recent developments all the more distressing to contemplate.

The cultural conversation around mental health has also changed significantly since 2007. In the same week that Spears described her hospitalization as “me time” on Instagram, Justin Bieber—who has been very open about his own mental-health struggles—posted a selfie from therapy on his Instagram stories. “Therapy session,” he wrote. “It’s cool to have a healthy mind and emotions.” This came about a month after he wrote a lengthy Instagram post about his struggles, explaining he has been feeling “disconnected and weird.”

Bieber is far from the only younger pop star to be open about mental health: Demi Lovato has been candid about her mental health and dependency struggles, and Selena Gomez has also spoken openly about her time in rehab. The warm reception to their willingness to share seems light years away from the way celebrities like Amy Winehouse or Lindsay Lohan were covered in the past.

And Spears’s willingness to open up, even with a cryptic Instagram, proves it’s not just a generational shift. She’s only a few years older, after all, than Prince Harry, who has spoken about his own experiences in therapy and focused his charity efforts on mental health. Extremely famous people who may have once used “exhaustion” as cover for mental-health struggles are opening up, at least a little, in the name of helping others. For Spears, whose mental state was so garishly picked apart by the media not so long ago, it’s a gesture that proves more than anything else just how much has changed.

Spears is extremely close with her father. In a new report Friday, Us Weekly explained that, according to one of their sources, “She’s been devastated over the prospect of losing her dad. He’s always been her rock, and seeing him seriously ill has shattered her . . . After Jamie’s recent surgery, she found herself so full of anxiety and panic, she didn’t know who to turn to or what to do. She’s been spiraling and feeling lost.” The source went on: “She felt like it was time to get help and that she needed support.”
    Source: https://www.vanityfair.com/style/201...-justin-bieber

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon April 8th, 2019, 16:40

I dont think you can ever criticize anyone in this position. Her breakdown in 2007 was just that and the fact that she is now both well enough and self aware enough to recognize the importance of checking her mental health and looking after herself shows incredible strength and development.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon April 8th, 2019, 20:00

Imo, there's still much to be done in order to help people with the challenges in their private and job life. In Britney's 2019 situation, it's a shift away from her professional situation (which is totally fine for her at the moment) to her private one (the health problems with her dad, who's her closest person in life - besides her kids of course). Unlike back in 2007, people seem to understand Britney's emotional state of mind and are accepting her decision to take a break to care of herself. Back then, people thought that she was a 'weirdo' and Britney probably hasn't bern in the situation to react consciously and rationally.
    I'm not a popstar, but I had a similar moment in my job a few weeks ago. I had a lot of stress in my job, was working hard and got sick for a few times. When my boss was telling me to work harder, I argued that I was already eclipsing my physical abilities, and she simply responsed 'Well, maybe then that job isn't for you.' A general awareness of mental health is important, but we should go the next step by enabling people to have their 'me time' to recover from professional and personal stress without instantly labelling them as 'lazy'. Britney could be a rolemodel in that regard...

Legend
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu April 11th, 2019, 23:41

Wow! I didn't know about it. I have been travelling around Scotland and Norway for almost two weeks and didn't check the news at all.

I'm glad she's doing fine and that she's able to take some time off and put her health and family first.
    She's in such a great place compared to 2007/2008 and it's clearly a strength - knowing when you need and deserve help and having the will to recover.

I'm glad, I'm not the only one in this thread thinking that "music" is part of her life. I completely disagree with comments online that she sould "quit the business and give up performing" - She will never be "Primeney" again but music is her passion, I honestly believe it keeps her going. It's just that her family, her private life have become her first priority (rightfully so) and music is still something bringing her joy. It's not like she's on tour 24/7, recording studio albums every (second) year. She's in a completely different position now and I honestly don't believe that it was the business which has caused this situation. It's about her dad, her family. Whenever the time's ready, she will go back to recording and performing. That's a very important part of her life. And it will always be that way.

Manager
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed April 17th, 2019, 02:11

There has been a leak that she is being held there against her will?

Legend
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed April 17th, 2019, 11:15

Oh my God, what happened to her... She always looks miserable and has been a shadow of herself ever since 2007.

I hope she finds herself again and can go about her life on her own terms again.

Legend
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed April 17th, 2019, 13:01

Oh dear Britney, even when she's inactive, not releasing music, far away from the business and socia media and on hiatus people still will dig into her personal life.

By now she must be without a doubt one of the most studied, discussed and analyzed famous persons (on a personal level) that I've seen in my lifetime (probably surpassed by Michael Jackson and Princess Diana). The extreme obsession about someone famous' personal / private life is rarely seen to these proportions.

Manager
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed April 17th, 2019, 18:39

So wouldn't say she always looked miserable. She genuinely looked happy the last few years. It finally seemed like she was enjoying herself again.
    3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!