Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Céline Dion - Courage

Legend
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)

by » Fri November 15th, 2019, 08:55

Finally done with my first spin.

I'm just a casual listener when it comes to Céline - and that's exactly why I'm exhausted! 20 songs / 71 minutes is quite long and the album is very samey to my ears & there are too many ballads. With just 12 songs with the same mood this would have been a strong pop album to me, but that way it goes on for way too long and that makes the whole listening experience - at least to me - very exhausting. However, she did a fantastic job at picking songs that are modern yet also typical Céline. Her voice is still incredible and the production is really good. I would love if my favorite artists would put out an album with that many new tracks, so I can only imagine how fans of Céline may feel with this

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

by » Fri November 15th, 2019, 11:34

Listening for the first time, it's too long and i'm a bit bored. First three songs released are the best on the album. Hope the rest is grower.

Legend
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

by » Fri November 15th, 2019, 14:53

Im excited to dig into this later tonight!!

Manager
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

by » Fri November 15th, 2019, 16:52

Just got done with my first listen. The album is way, WAY too long and to make things worse the songs sound alike. It’s like she was literally sent variations of the same god damn song to record and she put them all together to make a full album. WTF?!!???

My one highlight on first listen is “How Did You Get Here”. A cool throwback to doo-woop music that Céline does a superb job with. It reminded me a little bit of “Love On The Brain”. Will need to listen to the album again for more keepers, but right now knowing how long and samey it is, I’m putting it off for laaater....
    DEBBIE GIBSON 2020

Legend
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)

by » Fri November 15th, 2019, 18:48

I'm on my first listen. ;)

I loved The Chase instantly.

Legend
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)

by » Fri November 15th, 2019, 19:27

I love the choir in The Hard Way. She needs to use choirs more often in her songs. So amazing.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)

by » Fri November 15th, 2019, 19:58

"Perfect Goodbye" is the saddest shit I‘ve heard in a while

Manager
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

by » Fri November 15th, 2019, 23:40

Finally playing it atm for the first time !

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

by » Sat November 16th, 2019, 00:11

Finally listened to the entire album.

General thoughts - This is exactly the type of album I've always wanted her to do. It's modern, but it has this signature Celine Dion stamp all over it that prevents her from alienating the fans. The vocal performances in this album just prove she's still THAT vocal beast after almost 40 years in the biz. Flaws and all.

The Chase and Say Yes are my instant favs.
    "Dion's voice glides effortlessly from deep whispers to dead-on high notes, a sweet siren that combines force with grace."
    - Time

Legend
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

by » Sat November 16th, 2019, 00:17

Whew this album is long chile (but if I was a die hard Stan stan of my Canadian auntie I'm sure I would love the length).

Cute, fresh auntie pop with some deep songs. Never heard her voice so unpolished but it sounds great. I like that touch.

My favs:

Lovers Never Die (my faaaavvvvv)
    Falling In Love Again
    Change My Mind
    For The Lovers
    For the Lover That I Lost
    I Will Be Stronger
    How Did You Get Here

I'll listen again at work. I tried to listen before the gym and that wasn't the best idea
    Last edited by ThaInfo1; Sat November 16th, 2019 at 01:01.
    Quote Originally Posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Manager
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

by » Sat November 16th, 2019, 01:09

20 songs? Damn, she really didn't hold back.
    I agree with everyone else, this is a VERY long album. But I appreciate the fact that she released 20 brand new songs for her hardcore fans and I can imagine how happy/satisfied they are with the album.

Here is my top 5:

Lovers Never Die is my favorite by far. Will be my most played song off this album, for sure.
    Falling In Love Again is a close 2nd. Her vocals are just out of this world.
    Change My Mind and How Did You Get Here are great. She sounds amazing and the instrumentals are pretty dope.
    And the last spot goes to Perfect Goodbye. I love the lyrics.

Legend
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)

by » Sun November 17th, 2019, 03:15

Good album. Some songs are a bit bland, and it could've been trimmed to 10-12 tracks, but her voice is in such terrific form! "Flying on My Own" and "Falling in Love Again" are my two early faves.
    The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Sun November 17th, 2019, 05:19

Falling in love again is such a stunning track. When she hits that AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN I was shook, then she murdered me with LIIIIIIIIIFFEEE. The resonance in that section is mind blowing. Listen to it on headphones.

Legend
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)

by » Sun November 17th, 2019, 09:24

Falling In Love Again is stunning if you like them deep ballads.
    DRINK. SMOKE. DANCE. VIBE A LITTLE BIT | My last.fm

Manager
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

by » Sun November 17th, 2019, 09:52

Her voice!!!!

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Sun November 17th, 2019, 20:23

I love this album. The length is not bothering me, the only thing I don-t like is FOMY as the opener.

Love especially
    Falling in love again
    Lying down
    Say yes
    For the lover that I lost
    How did you get here
    Look at us now
    Perfect goodbye
    heart of glass
    the hard way

Strong end of the album. I agree, the last 4 songs should be on the standard edition.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Mon November 18th, 2019, 02:55

Listened to this album in full today on my evening walk.It is a strong body of work but definitely you have to spend time with it and allow yourself to give it a chance. One listen is useless. And here is my ultimate review.

OK let's begin.
    Flying on my own sticks out like a sore thumb on this album. It's actually not a bad track and sounds pretty dope on headphones but it really does not work on the main album. Scrap it and put it on the deluxe.
    Lovers never die is just a boring track. It never gets going and is just kind of there. IT is a song that could just be scrapped really.
    I would open the album with Change my mind. This is a phenomenonal track and those boombastic vocals at the end are incredible. This is the perfect album opener.
    Falling in love again is stunning. Her voice is incredible on this track, that climax is simply amazing.
    Tracks 4, 5 and 6 are all strong tracks and I would not change them. Not the biggest fan of Lying down but it is fine as an album cut. Courage and Imperfections are superb.
    Now tracks 8 to 10 is the first time the album just drags for me. Say yes is cute but filler. I cannot stand Nobodys Watching and I would scrap it completely. The Chase takes ages to get going despite being an OK track. Maybe if NW was not there it would be better.
    I love For the lover that i lost. Simple yet superb.
    Baby is filler but it does not do any harm. I like the verses, the chours is a little generic but after the series of slow laid back songs having a midtempo works with the flow of the album so i am ok with it.
    Now the next lag comes on tracks 14 to 16. I found it hard to differentiate between these tracks just after listening to them. I will be stronger is a decent track. How did you get here sounds like a rehash of something but again its a nice midtempo moment. Look at us now is pretty similar to I will be stronger. One of them could be scrapped, probably Look at us now.
    Not really a fan of Perfect Goodbye, it goes nowhere, her voice does not sound too engaged on it, and her using the word shit sounds so forced. Completely uncalled for. I would scrap it and end the album with Best of All which is a simple yet beautiful track. I love her vocal on this track.
    So onto the deluxe tracks. Heart of Glass is a typical Sia rehash, i like the verses, the chorus is too busy but its harmless as a deluxe track. Boundaries is stunning, her headvoice is out of this world. This would be another option to close the album with and then have Best of All as a bonus track. Actually yes, i think this way is better. Boundaries should be on the standard.
    Finally The hard way, this is a nice track and i love the melody but the chorus is a little busy for me. It gets very crowded and a bit shouty when that choir comes in but Its fine as a bonus track.

Here is my revised tracklisting.
    Standard

1 Change my mind
    2 Falling in love again
    3 Lying down
    4 Courage
    5 Imperfections
    6 Say yes
    6 The Chase
    8 For the lover that i lost
    9 Baby
    10 I will be stronger
    11 How did you get here
    12 Boundaries

Deluxe
    13 Best of All
    14 Heart of Glass
    15 The Hard Way
    16 Flying on my own

Scrapped tracks = Lovers never die, Nobodys watching, Look at us now, Perfect Goodbye
    Last edited by InFamous; Mon November 18th, 2019 at 02:58.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

by » Mon November 18th, 2019, 03:09

Not gonna read anything yet. Gonna form my own opinion

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Mon November 18th, 2019, 12:57

Since when a 70 min album has become too long ???😅 basically that’s the length of FIY, LTAL, TAST or ANDHC 😊

On the contrary 2:30 songs sound too short for me.

And how come can we say songs sound the same ? Many pop ballads, but clearly different: Courage is no way like Perfect Goodbye or The Hard Way or For The Lover That I Lost or Lying Down or Change My Mind 😉
    Last edited by Critiaslux; Mon November 18th, 2019 at 13:01.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)

by » Mon November 18th, 2019, 15:27

A 70 min album is too long when like 8 of its songs are fillers.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

by » Mon November 18th, 2019, 15:28

I want to check this out but I'm slightly turned off by the length and the fact that a few have mentioned that it is bland in points.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Mon November 18th, 2019, 16:44

Quote Originally Posted by JeremySpears View Post
    A 70 min album is too long when like 8 of its songs are fillers.
    Check out my revised tracklist.

Legend
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

by » Mon November 18th, 2019, 16:49

For me personally there is only one track I don't really care about

Roadie
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Mon November 18th, 2019, 17:08

This album is definitely a grower! There are a couple of songs that are maybe fillers, but there so many good ones that I wouldn’t know which one could be the next single. Each day I change my favorites list. But Boundaries! And Perfect Goodbye! And The Chase! And Falling in love again! And Change my mind!!! I’m really proud as a fan, the album sounds current but without trying too hard. They know her target audience really well (always did I think).

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Tue November 19th, 2019, 11:46

If I were her, i would have made only one version of the cd and just with the following tracks:

Lovers Never Die
    Falling In Love Again
    Lying Down
    Courage
    Change My Mind
    Nobody's Watching
    For the Lover That I Lost
    Baby
    I Will Be Stronger
    How Did You Get Here
    Look at Us Now
    Heart of Glass
    Boundaries
    The Hard Way

Best tracks: The Hard Way, Look at Us Now, Change My Mind (!!!) and I Will Be Stronger