Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official ... Book Series

Superstar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

by Sat April 13th, 2019, 19:20

The Official Charts Company has started publishing proper chart books once again, and I really mean proper. They have gone to Graham Betts, who some of you may remember published his own Singles and Albums books about 12 years ago or so. I'm going to give information about this new book series but not review, as I have had the ability to check these in advance and offer corrections, which Graham has been receptive to. As such, I feel I can't review them.

The Official Charts Company is producing these via Amazon Print On Demand, which reduce their costs, but does increase the price a little. Around 20 volumes are being produced over the course of the next 12-18 months (time scale varies) and they will cover the Official Singles, Albums and Compilation Albums charts from 1952 through to today in decade form.

The first three volumes have just been released and they are all about 500 pages each, and retail for 20 in the UK. Links are below, with some images. They have decided to begin with the 1980's, so I'll talk later about what is happening with other decades.

The Official Singles Charts: The Eighties
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Si.../dp/1724491857

This volume details the weekly Top 75 Singles charts from January 1980 through December 1989, one per page. These are the as published charts, with last week positions, weeks on chart so far, artist, title, label and catalogue number. An image is below from the copy I now own https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6i70avutu...1032.jpeg?dl=0

Charts larger than a Top 40 have never been officially published, and the chart size was only Top 75 during the 1980's (Bubblers are excluded as far as this listing goes). The charts here reflect what was printed at the time, with errors in printing at the time removed (so correct week counts, etc are present from the start in 1952).

The Official Albums Charts: The Eighties
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Al...dp/1724487086/

This volume is the same as the Singles, only for Album Charts which have never had their own volume of printed weekly charts before. These cover the Top 75 (later Top 100 in this volume) from 1980-1989 https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhgusa0vfu...1030.jpeg?dl=0 , together with the Top 20 Compilation Album charts from 1989 (presented at the rear). https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4wp4381i8...1031.jpeg?dl=0

The Official Eighties Hits Book
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Ei...dp/1727147022/

Lastly, we have the Guiness Hits style listing book for the decade. This is the book I wanted when I started collecting charts as not only does it list all Singles and Albums (And Compilation Albums) to make the charts during the decade, it lists all EP and Album tracks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7m5c1wrlrp...1027.jpeg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcm8gttmda...1028.jpeg?dl=0

I've added some images to show pages above.

Each artist has a biography, which is up-to-date to April 2019 with Births and deaths, etc. Some information is never before been published and lists the correct information as to artist credits (Graham has contacted the manager of some artists to get the proper lineup).

The books are a brilliant series, and will, when all released complete a set focusing on all the charts from the 1950's to today.

The plan is for the next volume to be the 1960's (2 books, one for charts one for the Hits listing), with volumes for the 1950's (one combined volume for charts and Hits), the 1970's (3 volume as for the 1980's), the 1990's (4 volumes, as compilations get their own book), the 2000's (again 4 volumes) and finally in very early 2020 the 2010's (4 volume). Please note this is all subject to change. These are planned as the definitive collection for each decade, and the feel of the books from the quality of the paper to the care taken to produce them, in my opinion, shows this.

I have been fortunate to see the manuscripts before release and offer corrections (and more for the 1960's volumes but thats for when that is issued).

The Official Charts Company are planning a proper press release, but as the books are available on Amazon, I thought I'd share with you all here.

I hope you buy a copy - they are also available in other countries Amazon stores (Notable America for $25.17 https://www.amazon.com/Official-Eigh...dp/1727147022/)
    http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
    Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Manager
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by Sun April 14th, 2019, 09:14

Thanks for sharing, these books sound fantastic

I notice the sample pages for The Official Eighties Hit Book feature The Jacksons, but not The Jackson Five, so presumably the two are listed separately ... yet The Jacksons listing includes the album 18 Greatest Hits (credited to Michael Jackson Plus The Jackson 5) and the single I Want You Back '88 Remix (credited to Michael Jackson & The Jackson 5). Surely this album and single should be listed under both MJ and the J5, but not The Jacksons?

by Sun April 14th, 2019, 10:39

Quote Originally Posted by kingofskiffle View Post
    The Official Singles Charts: The Eighties
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Si.../dp/1724491857

This volume details the weekly Top 75 Singles charts from January 1980 through December 1989, one per page. These are the as published charts, with last week positions, weeks on chart so far, artist, title, label and catalogue number. An image is below from the copy I now own https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6i70avutu...1032.jpeg?dl=0

Charts larger than a Top 40 have never been officially published, and the chart size was only Top 75 during the 1980's (Bubblers are excluded as far as this listing goes).
    Is that 1981 & 1982 Bubbling under section or the next 25 [76-100] from 1983-1989.

The latter is on the OCC website.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

by Sun April 14th, 2019, 11:11

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis17 View Post
    Thanks for sharing, these books sound fantastic

I notice the sample pages for The Official Eighties Hit Book feature The Jacksons, but not The Jackson Five, so presumably the two are listed separately ... yet The Jacksons listing includes the album 18 Greatest Hits (credited to Michael Jackson Plus The Jackson 5) and the single I Want You Back '88 Remix (credited to Michael Jackson & The Jackson 5). Surely this album and single should be listed under both MJ and the J5, but not The Jacksons?
    The Jacksons is listed as a single entry. The artist credit reflects the credit at the time, so for example most of the singles are credited to 'The Jacksons'. The two entries you mention are both under the Jacksons and under Michael Jackson.
    Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Superstar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

by Sun April 14th, 2019, 11:13

Quote Originally Posted by Woz1234 View Post
    Is that 1981 & 1982 Bubbling under section or the next 25 [76-100] from 1983-1989.

The latter is on the OCC website.
    Both. Neither feature in the book.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Sun April 14th, 2019, 17:45

About time. These all look like very thorough and well-presented products. One always has doubts about how error-prone such tomes might be, but this time it sounds like a lot more care is being taken to minimise mistakes. I can't think they'll sell in large numbers, but it's nice to finally have official paper-based British chart sources.

by Mon April 15th, 2019, 07:59

These books look great and I will get them!

However, I hope the the source for the 50's and 60's (album) charts is not the database used for the Official Charts website, because of all the errors in there....

Next to that I had hoped that all the credits were exactly as on the records/labels, but by just looking at the sample pages (above and on Amazon.co.uk) I already found a credit for "Glen Frey" (missing an N) and "I'm Not Gonna Let You (Get The Best Of Me)" (the between brackets part is not on cover nor label)...
    Last edited by RonnieV; Mon April 15th, 2019 at 08:07.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

by Mon April 15th, 2019, 14:42

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieV View Post
    These books look great and I will get them!

However, I hope the the source for the 50's and 60's (album) charts is not the database used for the Official Charts website, because of all the errors in there....

Next to that I had hoped that all the credits were exactly as on the records/labels, but by just looking at the sample pages (above and on Amazon.co.uk) I already found a credit for "Glen Frey" (missing an N) and "I'm Not Gonna Let You (Get The Best Of Me)" (the between brackets part is not on cover nor label)...
    In terms of the weekly charts, they have been checked against scans from each week so are correct. (Please note that their is bound to be some error somewhere because well that's life, but to the best of his efforts Graham has tried to minimise those).

by Mon April 15th, 2019, 16:47

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieV View Post
    "I'm Not Gonna Let You (Get The Best Of Me)" (the between brackets part is not on cover nor label)...
    In terms of the weekly charts, they have been checked against scans from each week so are correct. (Please note that their is bound to be some error somewhere because well that's life, but to the best of his efforts Graham has tried to minimise those).
    All Guinness British Hit Singles from 6th Edition [7th one which was under "C" for Colonel] to 16th Edition, the Virgin & Collins Books is titled "I'm Not Gonna Let You (Get The Best Of Me)", 17th-19th & all 3 editions of The Complete Book of the British Charts: Singles and Albums is titled "I'm Not Gonna Let You" which is the actual title by Colonel Abrams.

It could be worse, on the OCC website, Polyhex chart runs & The Guinness Book of Top 40 Charts [1991 & 1995 Edition] it's known as "I'm Not Going To Let You".
    Last edited by Woz1234; Mon April 15th, 2019 at 21:59.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

by Tue April 16th, 2019, 10:05

These books look like an essential buy. I've just ordered the 80s Singles Chart book and hopefully will be able to buy the other two in the near future.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

by Tue April 16th, 2019, 12:07

Quote Originally Posted by Woz1234 View Post
    All Guinness British Hit Singles from 6th Edition [7th one which was under "C" for Colonel] to 16th Edition, the Virgin & Collins Books is titled "I'm Not Gonna Let You (Get The Best Of Me)", 17th-19th & all 3 editions of The Complete Book of the British Charts: Singles and Albums is titled "I'm Not Gonna Let You" which is the actual title by Colonel Abrams.

It could be worse, on the OCC website, Polyhex chart runs & The Guinness Book of Top 40 Charts [1991 & 1995 Edition] it's known as "I'm Not Going To Let You".
    It's strange how the error is repeated across websites and publications. I thought it may have been a chart listing error but both Music Week and Record Mirror listed the single under its correct title. I've sent Colin at polyhex.com a message about the incorrect listing.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by Tue April 16th, 2019, 22:16

These look amazing. Will definitely buy the 90s, 00s and 10s ones!

On the "BHS" style book, it looks like top ten entries are in bold, but what do the circles next to them mean?

Superstar
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

by Tue April 16th, 2019, 23:08

^
    They look like certification symbols for Silver, Gold and Platinum. Graham included these sales certification symbols in the book he published in the mid 2000s. It's a good addition when compared with the Guinness Hit Singles and Albums books.

by Tue April 16th, 2019, 23:20

Quote Originally Posted by AcerBen View Post
    These look amazing. Will definitely buy the 90s, 00s and 10s ones!

On the "BHS" style book, it looks like top ten entries are in bold, but what do the circles next to them mean?
    Clear Circle means it's a Silver disc (200,000 singles/60,000 albums), Black bold Circle means it's a Gold disc (400,000 singles/100,000 albums) & Black circle with star means it's a Platinum disc (600,000 singles/300,000 albums), there are other symbols, arrow up mean it's gone straight to number 1 in the UK chart & there is another symbol you haven't seen on Lonnie's dropbox pages & that is a black triangle, that means it was a #1 on the US charts, the symbols is the same set up as Collins books Complete UK Hit Singles 2004-2006 editions by Graham Betts.
    Last edited by Woz1234; Wed April 17th, 2019 at 18:16.

Manager
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by Wed April 17th, 2019, 17:49

Are there any multi-platinum symbols for albums?

Manager
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by Wed April 17th, 2019, 18:00

Just found the answer on Amazon.
    Singles and albums that have attained silver, gold, platinum and multi-platinum status are also identified, together with RIAA Diamond Awards. This is the ultimate chart trivia book for the 1980s!

by Wed April 17th, 2019, 19:19

My copy of The Official Eighties Hits Book arrived today.

First impressions are that the book is well printed and the text is clear to read. The book itself is A4 size and a fairly hefty tomb.

I like the combined date order listing of singles and albums (complete with track listings). A great addition to my chart collection and as good as the Whitburn books. Not bad for 20 each.

Will be back to order both The Official Singles Charts: The Eighties & The Official Albums Charts: The Eighties

Legend
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

by Wed April 17th, 2019, 19:24

These look amazing! I’ll definitely be buying the 90s ones but I’m also really tempted by an 80s one - I have that big thick Complete Book of British Charts from 2000 somewhere, will the Official Eighties Hits Book be much different to what’s in that?

Superstar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

by Wed April 17th, 2019, 19:59

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    These look amazing! I’ll definitely be buying the 90s ones but I’m also really tempted by an 80s one - I have that big thick Complete Book of British Charts from 2000 somewhere, will the Official Eighties Hits Book be much different to what’s in that?
    Yes - track listing for each album is included together with catalogue numbers.

by Wed April 17th, 2019, 22:49

My copy of the Official Singles Charts: The Eighties still arrived today too and it's fantastic...
    Will order the upcoming volumes too

Superstar
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

by Thu April 18th, 2019, 22:24

My copy of "The Official Singles Charts: The Eighties" arrived today. It's well worth every penny. One chart per page is much better than previous books of a similar nature which have had two or more charts per page. The book is well laid out with clear print and as all the charts are in chronological order it's easy to navigate.

In addition I notice today that the book has been reduced in price, from 20 (which is what I paid) to 17.82. The other two 80s chart books in the series are still 20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by Fri April 19th, 2019, 16:03

Thanks KoS! These look super fab groovy keen, I'll def be buying the 50s 60s 70s, maybe more.

Too bad they won't include bubblers/breakers, ugh...

Unfortunately, in the introduction Graham repeats the historical rewritten falsehood rubbish that Record Retailer was the best/industry/accepted/'official' chart (or whatever he says) starting in March 1960, when it was none of those things. It's one thing to explain why the OCC (and Guinness) use the charts they use, it's another thing to make up lies about true chart history. Double ugh !! Never fear, I'll once again point out the true chart history of the 50s & 60s (thanks Alan Smith) in my Amazon reviews of these books, ha...

But other than that, yes, great books, buy buy buy...

Superstar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

by Fri April 19th, 2019, 21:46

Robin, in a book produced by the official charts company, would you expect anything else

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by Sat April 20th, 2019, 19:41

Robin, in a book produced by the official charts company, would you expect anything else
    You got me there, KoS. I will henceforth abandon all expectation and hope that the OCC will ever reverse their false rewritten history regarding the 50s & 60s UK charts. Nonetheless I will remain adamant in pointing out the actual historical truth every chance I get, directing everyone to Alan Smith's monumental article.

So for any newbies out there reading this thread who are not aware of the truth of the 50s & 60s UK charts, the Official Charts Co has perpetrated a monstrous lie upon millions of Brits and earthlings for decades; but never fear, the truth is here:

https://www.ukmix.org/showthread.php?98104

Read the above post, and all the followups. Mightily revealing, to say the least, ha.

So everyone go ahead and buy all these new 'official' chart books by the decade and enjoy them to the max! I know I will. But just be aware that these 'official' books of the 50s & 60s are not fact or truth, just a 3rd rate approximation. Other charts will give you more accurate truth than using the so-called 'official' Record Retailer charts for the 60s.

Peace, love, & soul !! Fish n chips to the whole world !!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

by Sun April 21st, 2019, 13:16

I appreciate that people have differing views as to the 1950s and 1960s charts and as to which are official and which are not.

The books have an introduction which tries to give a good picture of the 1960s charts and the history of the charts in general. Graham has not made up anything in these and is not lying about anything in the books. The 1960s introduction makes it clear that there are arguments over the relative accuracy of each chart - I think all here know that each had issues but all tried to be accurate. Record Retailer was for the industry and thats largely why it was chosen in 1976 by the compilers of the original Guinness Hit Singles. Ask Paul Gambaccini now and he might change his mind as to what he would have done with hindsight. The fact is that for almost 45 years the 1960s charts have been represented by Record Retailer.

Moderator Hat: I think it perhaps best if we all keep this topic to the discussion of the book itself. Other threads here are dedicated to the histories - as Robin points out.