View Poll Results: What are your TOP 5 Madame X songs?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Medellín (with Maluma)

23 36.51%
  • Dark Ballet

21 33.33%
  • God Control

47 74.60%
  • Future (with Quavo)

8 12.70%
  • Batuka

14 22.22%
  • Killers Who Are Partying

24 38.10%
  • Crave (with Swae Lee)

24 38.10%
  • Crazy

21 33.33%
  • Come Alive

8 12.70%
  • Extreme Occident

19 30.16%
  • Faz Gostoso (featuring Anitta)

32 50.79%
  • Bitch I’m Loca (featuring Maluma)

6 9.52%
  • I Don’t Search I Find

24 38.10%
  • Looking For Mercy

21 33.33%
  • I Rise

13 20.63%
  • Funana

3 4.76%
  • Back That Up to the Beat

2 3.17%
  • Ciao Bella

8 12.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1578

Thread: Madonna - Madame X

Superstar
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

by » Sun July 14th, 2019, 22:46

Dark Ballet
    God Control
    Crave
    I Rise
    Looking For Mercy
    It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
    But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is

Superstar
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

by » Sun July 14th, 2019, 22:49

So I voted for :

Dark Ballet
    God Control
    Killers Who Are Partying
    Crazy
    Faz Gostoso
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

by » Sun July 14th, 2019, 22:52

I didn’t vote.... but these are my fave of the day

Come Alive
    Ciao Bella
    Looking for Mercy
    I don’t Search I Find
    Batuka

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 13:43

Madame X is on sale on Amazon’s big event. The boxset is now £41, the vinyl is £17 and the cassette and CD (standard) are now both £6.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 18:08

Here comes my review for 'Madame X':

Booklet (1/5): Unfortunately, I don't like the cover of the standard edition and would consider it my least favorite one since her 80s releases probably. I could've lived with the cover of the fanbox (the one with her blonde hair in a braid) though. The booklet includes no lyrics (as always ever since 'Music') and the pictures don't really much to me. I've never been a fan of her albums' booklets, but this one is even inferior to her past few albums', so I can only give her 2/10 in that part.

Concept and realisation (1/5): I had high hopes when she initially introduced the concept, hoping that it would end as her portraying some 'Electra Heart'-esque persona. This was not the case. The red thread is the influence by traditional Portuguese and modern Latin music in many of the songs, but I feel like Nelly Furtado's 'Folklore' paid better tribute to that approach back in the day. The album is diverse in terms of length and sound, includes 13 songs. It makes sense that the album starts with 'Medellin', but 'I Rise' is an inappropriate way to close the album - unlike e.g. 'Voices' or 'Easy Ride'. The vocal production on 'Madame X' is messy: Her voice is artificially altered in a few songs and in most of them, it was rather pointless and didn't add anything to the song's overall sound (e.g. 'Crave' or 'Future'). For her standards, she collaborates with other artists a lot on this album, and the only pointless collaboration is 'Future' for me. I like that she sings in Spanish and Portuguese in a few songs . The album is lyrically quite political - probably her most political since 'American Life'. As a whole, 'Madame X' is probably a bit more mature than her past two albums - but not on 'American Life' or 'Ray of Life' level. 5/10

Song by song (3/5):

Medellin: Quite an interesting choice for a lead single. I was never a big fan of it and would consider it my least favorite lead single of hers since the 80s. The verses are a bit too slow, the chorus lacks that 'WOW' sound, Maluma's parts are OK. The song is quite long with almost 5 minutes and it takes 3 minutes to reach its musical peak. I haven't liked the music video much and I feel like the song's execution was a bit poor if they were heading for her personal 'Despacito'. I can still give it a generous 5/10.

Dark Ballet: The first half is very nice - like a hip hop ballad actually. That sound suits her well. Then comes the break and it's very unexpected: An altered voice sings over that ballet sound before she has a speaking part introducing an upcoming 'wind'. The break ends and the song's finalized with a repetition of the last line. Interesting song, but I feel like it would've been executed in a better way - maybe with the chorus being repeated in full for a 3rd time. 6/10

God Control: One of the album's highlights ! It's not up there with some of the gems of the past few albums, but I like that it combines a handful of melodies as part of that disco sound that suits her very well. You don't really notice the length of the song, which is a plus. My highlight within the song is the 'It's a weird kind of energy...' part. 7/10

Future: I really disliked the song after the ESC performance and was deeply disappointed. It is OK, but this type of song wouldn't have made her records during previous eras. The lyrics are a bit cheesy and the collaboration with Quavo was a bit pointless. 4/10

Batuka: The lowlight of the album. I would've preferred the song to be an intro or completely left off from the album since it basically is a long chant with her singing a line that is repeated by a choir - and this goes on for almost 5 minutes. Sorry, but I can only give this one 1/10 - and that one point is due to her not using swear words.

Killers Who Are Partying: The title is very irritating as you may expect an uptempo song. In fact, the song is a ballad and has got nothing to do with partying but with her singing about unifying with minorities. Not sure whether it's fair to consider the islam a discriminated group of people looking at the situation with basic human rights in countries with a mostly muslim population. The song goes on for more than 5 minutes and it takes a while until the song starts picking up drive, but the chorus and the c-part are nice. 6/10

Crave: Her 'accent' sounds a bit irritating on this song, but I like that the song has a calm atmosphere - like a more toned down version of Ellie Goulding's 'Close to Me'. The chorus is nice, Swae Lee couldn't fully convince me and I understand why it was chosen as single No. 2 - I feel like this is for 'Madame X' what 'Ghosttown' was for 'Rebel Heart'. Apart from the fact that 'Ghosttown' was the stronger song. 6.5/10

Crazy: The song is a solid pop song that comes across as a bit lost in the concept of the album, but I don't mind it either ;) . 6/10

Come Alive: I would liken this one to 'MDNA's 'Superstar'. It's a very simple pop song, but I like it actually because it misses out on any unnecessary gimmicks. Well, there is the outro of the chorus, but it fits in the context of the album... 6.5/10

Faz Gostoso: The song with the biggest hit potential. I can easily imagine this one having a music video similar to Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' 'Downtown'. Pity though that that song happened to be an almost cover, but she's always had odd cover choices in her discography ('Fever', 'American Life'). It's not amazing, but I like the song due to its catchiness - it invites you to dance. The 3rd verse could've been executed in a better way... 6.5/10 with the potential for a 7/10 ;) .

Bitch I'm Loca: It's the average song you'd expect from a collaboration with Maluma - and the shortest song on the album with less than 3 minutes. Her third song ever to include 'Bitch' in the title and the song doesn't go any deeper than her wanting to have a good time with 'Mr Safe' (Why is Maluma called like that though?). An additional chorus in the end would've been nice. A bit better than 'Medellin' but nothing really remarkable. 5.5/10

I Don't Search I Find: The 2nd highlight on the album. Madonna really shines here... The song has a strong message and it's incredibly catchy - again Madonna in disco mode circa early 90s. I would liken the sound to Mad House's version of 'Holiday'. Even her vocal alternation makes sense here... Finally enough love! 7/10

I Rise: An average pop song with motivational lyrics. Initially, the chorus didn't do much to me, but I think I grew up to it. It's a pity that the best part only comes during the last 30 or so seconds. That should've been the direction of the song... The song doesn't really work as an album closer as it makes you feel like something's yet to come... 5.5/10

Summary: The last two albums were disappointing on one hand ('MDNA') and quite surprising in a positive way on the other hand ('Rebel Heart'), so I was very curious about 'Madame X'. I can see that she had a vision for the album, probably the most since 'Confessions' back in the day, but the execution didn't live up to that. It's her first album without at least one 8/10 song since 'Like a Prayer' and there are too many average songs on it, as well as 'Batuka', which shouldn't have happened. As a fan, it of course belongs in my collection, but I fear that it wasn't worth the 18.99€ I paid for it. All in all, just a 4.5/10 for 'Madame X'.
    Last edited by theMathematician; Tue July 16th, 2019 at 20:05.
    ~ representing the LBC ~

Superstar
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 22:14

BATUKA video drops on Friday.
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 23:31

That's one video i'm not excited about
    Cha Cha Instructor

Manager
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Wed July 17th, 2019, 07:34

Quote Originally Posted by KEY9481 View Post
    Ugh

Superstar
    Amsterdam (NL) / Gijón (ES) / Rzeszów (PL) / Brno (CZ) / Cork (IE)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

by » Wed July 17th, 2019, 10:16

My Top 5 are:

1) Killers Who Are Partying
    2) Extreme Occident
    3) Faz Gostoso
    4) Dark Ballet
    5) Batuka

by » Wed July 17th, 2019, 11:10

Dark Ballet
    God Control
    Extreme Occident
    Faz Gostoso
    Ciao Bella

Superstar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)

by » Wed July 17th, 2019, 11:47

@theMathematician I think you missed your review on Looking For Mercy?

Legend
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

by » Wed July 17th, 2019, 15:59

Quote Originally Posted by KEY9481 View Post
    Interesting, it''s the track which had all the potential to be amazing imo. but the execution of her vocals etc. kinda ruins it for me. I am curious to see what a visual has to offer and if it can change my mind overall

Legend
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

by » Wed July 17th, 2019, 19:16

so now there's no hope for I Don't Search release, what a loss

by » Wed July 17th, 2019, 19:27

Quote Originally Posted by jszmiles View Post
    In fairness she’s only had 2 singles from this album, despite all the videos.

by » Wed July 17th, 2019, 20:14

She seems really passionate about and connected to 'Batuka'. It's not one of my favourite songs on the record (it is growing on me with each listen) but I think she'll really bring it to life with the visual as well as on the tour, where I have a feeling it might be the opening song.

Superstar
    Amsterdam (NL) / Gijón (ES) / Rzeszów (PL) / Brno (CZ) / Cork (IE)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

by » Wed July 17th, 2019, 21:00

Releasing such a boring dance track as a single would be a loss.
    This album has unique world music influences from fado and morna that should become its trademark instead of songs that sound like rejects from COADF.

by » Wed July 17th, 2019, 21:15

Batuka was filmed MONTHS ago as we already knew and saw pics of while they were filming. So this effects nothing in the future.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

by » Wed July 17th, 2019, 21:34

Quote Originally Posted by maroon View Post
    This album has unique world music influences from fado and morna that should become its trademark instead of songs that sound like rejects from COADF.
    I've got to agree with Maroon here, to me it's a pretty dull track, far too generic and I hate the Vogue comparisons.
    It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
    But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

by » Wed July 17th, 2019, 21:46

Batuka is her passion project and i get why she filmed a video for that. I will never like that song though.
    Cha Cha Instructor

by » Thu July 18th, 2019, 03:11

Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy View Post
    Batuka is her passion project and i get why she filmed a video for that. I will never like that song though.
    Me either. For me it's a boring fest track. And even long for me. And Same repetition.

by » Thu July 18th, 2019, 08:04

Batuka is one of my favourites. It’s genius and I can’t wait to see it live

Legend
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

by » Thu July 18th, 2019, 23:52

Quote Originally Posted by maroon View Post
    Even the rejects from COADF are more interesting than 90% of this album. I agree that it doesn't suit this album at all, if it is what you're trying to say but I don't buy the "uniqueness" of other tracks, actually I don't even see what they're unique for.

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 00:00

Even the rejects from COADF are more interesting than 90% of this album. I agree that it doesn't suit this album at all, if it is what you're trying to say but I don't buy the "uniqueness" of other tracks, actually I don't even see what they're unique for.

Then you aren’t listening properly. Almost every other track is a different genre, to the point you can’t name them. Which a-listers are producing songs like Dark Ballet, Batuka or Killers Who Are Partying?