Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame Cathedral on fire

Superstar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 20:54

Officials are saying that they might not be able to save the structure.

Legend
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Legend
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 22:50

According to CNN, the famous bell towers are 'safe'.

Still tragic though, it's one of the three most iconic cathedrals in the world imo.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 22:55

Yep, the building structure is safe as of now. The Pompiers de Paris have done an oustanding job once again.
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Legend
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 23:00

This is so ridiculously sad and senseless, it’s really quite upsetting. Notre Dame is such an icon of France and is steeped in such a long and rich history... all gone in just a few hours.

The British equivalent I suppose would be Westminster Abbey (which whilst founded in 960, the current building can in part be traced back to roughly 1245). It’s just unimaginable and I feel so sad for France.

The Diva
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » Tue April 16th, 2019, 01:11

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I really hope it was an accident. Strong rumours about an islamic attack.

Yes, whenever something bad happens, let’s blame it on Muslims

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue April 16th, 2019, 06:11

So sad news!! Still can't believe this happened. Another piece of art with such a powerful presence and rich history is lost. Hope that they will manage to restore whatever is left.

Legend
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue April 16th, 2019, 06:58

I didn't realise there were such artefacts in the Cathedral.

Notre-Dame cathedral: Macron pledges reconstruction after fire

French President Emmanuel Macron has vowed to rebuild the medieval cathedral of Notre-Dame after a major fire partially destroyed the Paris landmark.

Firefighters managed to save the 850-year-old Gothic building's main stone structure, including its two towers, but the spire and roof collapsed.

The fire was declared under control almost nine hours after it started.

The cause is not yet clear but officials say it could be linked to extensive renovation works under way.

Paris prosecutor's office said it was currently being investigated as an accident. A firefighter was seriously injured while tackling the blaze.

Macron: 'Terrible tragedy'

Visiting the site on Monday night, Mr Macron said the "worst had been avoided" with the preservation of the cathedral's main structure as he pledged to launch an international fundraising scheme for the reconstruction.

"We'll rebuild this cathedral all together and it's undoubtedly part of the French destiny and the project we'll have for the coming years," said Mr Macron.

"That's what the French expect [and] because it's what our history deserves," he added, visibly emotional, calling it a "terrible tragedy".

Billionaire François-Henri Pinault, chairman and CEO of the Kering group that owns the Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent fashion brands, has already pledged €100m (£86m; $113m) towards rebuilding Notre-Dame, AFP news agency reports.

The French charity Fondation du Patrimoine is launching an international appeal for funds for the cathedral, a Unesco World Heritage site.

The fire started at around 18:30 (16:30 GMT) on Monday and quickly reached the roof of the cathedral, destroying its stained-glass windows and the wooden interior before toppling the spire.

Firefighters then spent hours working to prevent one of the iconic bell towers from collapsing. Search teams are now assessing the extent of the damage.

Sections of the building were under scaffolding as part of the renovations and 16 copper statues had been removed last week. Work began after cracks appeared in the stone, sparking fears the structure could become unstable.

Mr Macron said the cathedral was "for all French people", including those who had never been there, and praised the "extreme courage" of the 500 firefighters involved in the operation.

Mayor: 'Artwork in safe place'

Emergency teams managed to rescue valuable artwork and religious items, including what is said to be the crown of thorns worn by Jesus before his crucifixion, which were stored inside the cathedral built in the 12th and 13th centuries.

A tunic, which King Louis IX is said to have worn when he brought the crown of thorns to Paris, was also saved.

"We had a chain of solidarity, especially in saving the works of art... [They] were able to be saved and put in a safe place," said Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo. "This is a tragedy for the whole world... Notre-Dame is the entire history of Paris."

Historian Camille Pascal told French broadcaster BFMTV that "invaluable heritage" had been destroyed. "Happy and unfortunate events for centuries have been marked by the bells of Notre-Dame. We can be only horrified by what we see."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47943705

Legend
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue April 16th, 2019, 07:15

The crown of thorns? Okay then...

Superstar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue April 16th, 2019, 07:38

The Pinault family (Salma Hayek’s husband) has offered 100m€, and the Arnault family (LMVH) is giving 200m€ to help reconstruct.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue April 16th, 2019, 12:57

Heartbreaking to see videos of this historical building going up in flames. Hopefully they can salvage whatever valuables they can find and rebuild this structure in future.

Still no one identified the cause of fire? I read somewhere that its classified as accidental?
    She was kind of fragile and she had a lot to grapple with but basically she kept it all inside ...

Legend
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue April 16th, 2019, 13:05

Quote Originally Posted by MrDash View Post
    Heartbreaking to see videos of this historical building going up in flames. Hopefully they can salvage whatever valuables they can find and rebuild this structure in future.

Still no one identified the cause of fire? I read somewhere that its classified as accidental?
    There’s a criminal investigation on the way now, which I believe are looking at the work the restoration crew were doing. I assume it was a horrid accident, but most accidents can be avoided.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue April 16th, 2019, 13:26

Quote Originally Posted by menime123 View Post
    There’s a criminal investigation on the way now, which I believe are looking at the work the restoration crew were doing. I assume it was a horrid accident, but most accidents can be avoided.
    Still wondering what kind of restoration-related accident that could trigger such a huge fire ...

Anyway, I saw on twitter a group of people singing the Ave Maria while watching the tragic scene from a distance. Truly painful.
    She was kind of fragile and she had a lot to grapple with but basically she kept it all inside ...

Legend
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue April 16th, 2019, 13:31

All 3 rose windows have been saved.

Legend
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue April 16th, 2019, 14:27

The roof was made of wood, that probably helped the fire spread quickly.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Superstar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Legend
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue April 16th, 2019, 17:14

Ok, so I wonder if it's similar in other countries. The biggest newspaper in Switzerland has an online site where people can post comments and stuff like that, and the articles about this have so, so many negative comments saying it's just a church, there are people dying which is worse than a building burning down or some go even as far as saying it's a church so it's even a good thing it burned down. Are Swiss people just that negative or dumb (as they don't see the historical value of the Notre Dame) or is it the same everywhere?

Superstar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue April 16th, 2019, 17:18

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike View Post
    Ok, so I wonder if it's similar in other countries. The biggest newspaper in Switzerland has an online site where people can post comments and stuff like that, and the articles about this have so, so many negative comments saying it's just a church, there are people dying which is worse than a building burning down or some go even as far as saying it's a church so it's even a good thing it burned down. Are Swiss people just that negative or dumb (as they don't see the historical value of the Notre Dame) or is it the same everywhere?
    It's this woke crap. There's literally not one agenda you can stand behind and not get clapped with millions of "why don't you support _______?? It's much more important than what you fight for." on social media. Everybody has an idea of what's important. Few people can grasp that you can care about many things and respect a lot of values. Yes, prioritizing issues can be talked about, but disregarding some issues completely with "who cares" is really terrible.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Superstar
    Amsterdam (NL) / Gijón (ES) / Rzeszów (PL) / Brno (CZ) / Cork (IE)
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue April 16th, 2019, 17:57

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
    Yes, whenever something bad happens, let’s blame it on Muslims
    Did she though? Or you're just oversensitive?

Manager
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue April 16th, 2019, 18:32

Donors pledge over 700 million euros to rebuild Notre-Dame cathedral.
    R.I.P. Scott Walker (1943-2019)

Superstar
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue April 16th, 2019, 19:04

Ahh, I'm so relieved the cathedral remains and that they were able to salvage much of the art inside.

Still sad I won't be able to see it in its full glory when I visit there next month.
    It's time for Hot 100 Songs of 2018 Survivor!
    Of course, cheapthrills does Sia Survivor!

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue April 16th, 2019, 23:54

Is this sad? Yes. Is it okay to be upset about this? Yes. Does this deserve this amount of coverage compared to many other way worse things happening around the world? Nope. Not even close. Luckily no one died so...

The money going towards this should better be used for reparation to Haiti.

At the same time this was happening, one of the mosques in Tel Aviv was burning, but no coverage at all about it. There needs to be a shift in what media is talking about and the public outrage cuz lives > old buildings, no matter its significance.

Don't @ me
    be kind to every kind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed April 17th, 2019, 01:35

Quote Originally Posted by Serby View Post
    At the same time this was happening, one of the mosques in Tel Aviv was burning, but no coverage at all about it. There needs to be a shift in what media is talking about and the public outrage cuz lives > old buildings, no matter its significance.
    >claims that lives matter more than an old building burning
    >whines that no one paid attention to a different old building burning

At least be consistent with your faux outrage.

Superstar
    Amsterdam (NL) / Gijón (ES) / Rzeszów (PL) / Brno (CZ) / Cork (IE)
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed April 17th, 2019, 17:45

"one of mosques in Tel Aviv" versus THE iconic Cathedral of Notre-Dame? Seriously?
    Hardly anyone knows any mosques in Tel Aviv. Notre-Dame is a masterpiece of art and architecture, not only a religious building.
    Besides, obviously the European media will always focus more on the European events.