View Poll Results: Which structure do you prefer?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • PROPOSAL 1

9 40.91%
  • PROPOSAL 2

13 59.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Restructure - YOUR FEEDBACK NEEDED!

Legend
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)

by » Mon April 22nd, 2019, 15:33

In the Feedback Survey, we asked:

How would you feel about the genre forums being replaced by forums where threads are organised and split by release date? (E.g. “new music”, “current music”, “old music”)

Good idea [30%]
    Bad idea [55%]
    Don’t know/neutral [15%]

Just over half of respondents believe this specific idea is a bad idea, however, as a team we have decided that a forum restructure is going to happen - just not as suggested above. After MUCH deliberation and thought on how we can make the keep the forums accessible, user-friendly and brimming with discussion, the following two proposals have been agreed to be put forward to all members to provide feedback on and steer the decision.

If you have seen the sticky thread, you will see that TV & Movies are to be merged back into an Entertainment forum, which will also include discussion on books and theatre. The Retro is to be renamed The Vault and comprise of sub-forums (see below). These changes will take place regardless of the proposal taken forward.

PROPOSAL 1

A New Music Friday forum category appears, which will act as a re-direct to a thread, updated weekly, and used by posters as a place to post and discuss any NMF finds of the week. Spotify-embedding will be enabled in order to post direct links.

The Genre Forums are replaced by Songs and Albums. This rids us of the age-old problem of which genre a song or album fits in - in a world where genres are constantly being bent and straddled, the restraints will be lifted and all singles/buzz singles/promo tracks will be posted in Songs, with all albums/EPs/mix-tapes posted in Albums. After some demand, a Tours forum will be introduced for all live music - one of the most important aspects of any artist's career in 2019.

Clicking on The Vault will take you to this landing page, and access to the new sub-forums:

PROPOSAL 2

A New Music Friday forum category appears, which will act as a re-direct to a thread, updated weekly, and used by posters as a place to post and discuss any NMF finds of the week. Spotify-embedding will be enabled in order to post direct links.

The bottom sections of the forums display as above, however, under Music, the Genre Forums remain in place, as per the survey feedback, but are condensed. Pop & Dance have been merged, R&B & Urban remain as they are, with Rock, Alternative taking Country (alongside World, Folk and Americana) under its wing. The decision to merge has been made after analysing posting statistics and trends across the last six months - basically, some forums are too quiet to warrant remaining open. We feel discussion will be enhanced and increased if topics are less dispersed!

*** Now we need your thoughts! Please post in this thread your preferred layout of PROPOSAL 1 or PROPOSAL 2 - if you can give reasons behind your choice, that would also be really helpful. ***

Superstar
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

by » Mon April 22nd, 2019, 16:04

Ugh I am so conflicted as I really want a tour section but I love the genre separation.
    BUT in a day and age where genres are blended together, I think proposal 1 is the better option.
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Legend
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

by » Mon April 22nd, 2019, 22:30

I'd prefer Proposal 2 - you need to keep some kind of genre identification.

NMF itself has become less meaningful as many song releases (and some albums) are on a Wednesday / Thursday! So that idea seems instantly outdated.
    Surely it presents confusion - do they post big names in there or underground artists? It'll make the regular song/album threads less busy.

Can't believe Retro is being renamed THAT. Is it still April 1st? Like The Vault music channel? It implies dust and filth.
    The Vault Charts doesn't have the same zing to it.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

by » Mon April 22nd, 2019, 22:49

^ I agree with Blondini about the new music Friday forum. Also if this was to happen, would those threads automatically be moved to their respective genre forums, or indeed songs forum after 7 days? Seems like a lot of effort whereas currently posting new threads directly into the genre forums just makes more sense to me?

I don't have a problem with the name "retro" being used but it's one of the forums i'm least likely to post in so it really doesn't bother me whatsoever.
    Last edited by JakeP; Mon April 22nd, 2019 at 22:56.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

by » Mon April 22nd, 2019, 22:54

Also a fear of a songs forum is that many threads may get lost in the crowd. If you imagine a load of new singles from each genre getting released around the same time, they'll be competing for attention on the first page when the songs are first released. Someone might end up opening a new thread only to discover someone else started a thread 15 minutes earlier but its already fallen onto page 2.

The Diva
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

by » Mon April 22nd, 2019, 22:58

I don’t think that many threads get opened each week but I’m not sure

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

by » Mon April 22nd, 2019, 23:15

Proposal 2 I guess, I much prefer the genre seperation, it would get too crowdy in songs subforum. i love the new music friday idea.

Legend
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)

by » Mon April 22nd, 2019, 23:18

It isn’t a NMF forum, as I said it redirects you to a thread which will house the Spotify NMF playlist and discussion around tracks from that week. It’s completely up to posters if they want to post about featured songs in there or begin new threads - issue is, that so many new threads just slip off the page with no replies because people don’t recognise the name. Lots of hidden gems go unnoticed each week on the NMF playlist, so this is a way of giving posters a place to discuss them without having to create a thread. I’ve seen it on another forum and it works well. By the way, songs released midweek often appear on the NMF playlist, so it appears Spotify can keep up with the times!

Legend
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

by » Mon April 22nd, 2019, 23:21

Agree with NMF comments above about the fact that you guys will have to keep moving threads week after week. It looks like a nice idea though, and I wouldn't mind a lot about the "Friday" thing, in Spotify it is also New Music Friday and they included Medellin whithout a second thought.
    EDIT: just read Thriller response and makes sense: it is not a sub forrum but a thread... so Medellin will probably have a specific thread but then less known tracks will have opportunity to have a discussion even when it is not their sepcific thread. Liked it!

Then, I like the idea of Songs/Albums, but in general that will push down fastly threads of genres less popular, like Country and Rock.

So I vote for Proposal 2.
    VISIT UKmix HOT100 @ Front Desk
    PLAY Sara Bareilles Artist Survivor @ Music Games & Survivors
    CHECK
    The Leo Chart + Deconstructing Leo: Lisa Loeb's Top40 + Deconstructing Leo 2.0: 2018 Awards @ Personal Charts

Legend
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)

by » Mon April 22nd, 2019, 23:22

Quote Originally Posted by leomedar View Post
    Agree with NMF comments above about the fact that you guys will have to keep moving threads week after week. It looks like a nice idea though, and I wouldn't mind a lot about the "Friday" thing, in Spotify it is also New Music Friday and they included Medellin whithout a second thought.

Then, I like the idea of Songs/Albums, but in general that will push down fastly threads of genres less popular, like Country and Rock.

So I vote for Proposal 2.
    Threads won’t be moved, it’s not a forum, it’s a thread.

Legend
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

by » Mon April 22nd, 2019, 23:26

lol, sorry Thriller, I understood wrongly and just edited my comment above! Liked the idea, maes perfect sense to me and think it is an intelligent way of highlighting less popular songs rather than creating topics.
    VISIT UKmix HOT100 @ Front Desk
    PLAY Sara Bareilles Artist Survivor @ Music Games & Survivors
    CHECK
    The Leo Chart + Deconstructing Leo: Lisa Loeb's Top40 + Deconstructing Leo 2.0: 2018 Awards @ Personal Charts

Legend
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)

by » Mon April 22nd, 2019, 23:43

I really love the NMF idea as long as it's maintained and doesn't go the way of the UKMix Hitlist (which I realize is different than a thread). One of the reasons I'm on the forum is to discover new music after all. Really happy to see you all thinking of ways to improve the forum! Also, I think the Vault is a cute name. Good job, @biscuits

I'm torn on the proposals because I like the idea of breaking out songs from albums, but knowing the genre of a artist can be helpful at first glance if I've never heard of that act before - so I know what to expect. That said, I think blending the songs together might help people to expand their horizons or post more. I love dance music but I don't create in the dance forum there because I think people tend to zone out on it. (Unrelated, but I will forever campaign that the front forum page lists the most recent thread posted in the last post section. I just think that would draw people into a forum more than knowing who last posted.)

The Diva
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

by » Mon April 22nd, 2019, 23:45

If we split into SONGS and ALBUMS forums, each thread could have a genre prefix (E.g. [POP])

Legend
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

by » Tue April 23rd, 2019, 07:20

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
    If we split into SONGS and ALBUMS forums, each thread could have a genre prefix (E.g. [POP])
    I think this is an important consideration and wonder if it changes anyone’s opinions above

Superstar
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

by » Tue April 23rd, 2019, 07:57

Or subforums?

Superstar
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)

by » Tue April 23rd, 2019, 10:53

I'm voting Proposal 1.

But, as some have said I don't see how NMF works. This would make sense if all songs/album were surprise releases, but most of the times we know about songs/albums weeks (if not months) in advance and we have threads for those. So when they finally come out do those threads get moved for one week to NMF? And if it serves as an overview of the newest songs/albums isn't just visiting the Songs/Albums part of the forum and seeing the threads basically the same overview as the newest songs/albums will be on top anyway as they're most discussed? I hardly see the point of NMF (and also Friday isn't the default release date for all, so there's also that).

I like the separation to songs/albums much more than the genre like it's now. Especially today when one song has at least 5 genres. And @biscuits genre prefix idea works for me. And this way more people might find out about music they'd skip if they don't visit certain genre part and miss out on some artists they would usually at least give a listen to.

The Vault is a terrible name. Reminds me of the Disney Vault, their infamous strategy of keeping their movies unavailable and then release them again after more than a few years. Retro is still better IMHO. Maybe it would be better if you picked a couple of the names you've liked the most and users can vote on it?

Also are General Music, General Artists and Games moved somewhere or are they just not represented on the images above?
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

by » Tue April 23rd, 2019, 12:23

I prefer Proposal 1.

Like others have mentioned previously, there could be a breakdown of genres within each "Songs" and "Albums" forum.

Maybe NMF can just be called "Latest Releases" or something like that.

Love the "Tour" forum as well, can include many current as well as previous tours if necessary.

And instead of "the Vault", why not "Time Machine/Capsule" or simply "the Classics"?
    She was kind of fragile and she had a lot to grapple with but basically she kept it all inside ...

Legend
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)

by » Tue April 23rd, 2019, 12:44

For a music forum in a world with new releases instantly available to everyone (thanks to streaming), I think a thread that highlights new releases on a weekly basis (that allows discussion) is essential.

We also get a lot of casual visitors here too, that may see the benefit of having discussion of new releases in one place. Not everyone is a stan, and the new music thread will allow for songs from lesser known acts to hopefully escape falling through the cracks.

I really suggest not writing the idea off, because we have a lot of respected users here whose taste and opinion in music - including new music - is respected. Collating that information is going to be a benefit and who knows what you might discover as a result?

In terms of the options, I’m totally team Option 1. The genre definition is dead - so many songs and albums are totally merged now. I see nothing wrong with Madonna’s latest releases sitting alongside Mariah’s, Post Malones, Lil Nas X or Khalid’s.

I believe there’s the option to allow a prefix to each thread in the album/single forums, but generally speaking - threads with the most traffic surely are songs worth checking out? If it’s causing a stir on UKMIX (rightly or wrongly) let’s all be aware and participate and express an opinion.

Legend
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)

by » Tue April 23rd, 2019, 12:53

Proposal 2 sounds good to me

Legend
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)

by » Tue April 23rd, 2019, 13:08

Thank you, I forgot to mention that!

Legend
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

by » Tue April 23rd, 2019, 22:47

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    It isn’t a NMF forum, as I said it redirects you to a thread which will house the Spotify NMF playlist and discussion around tracks from that week. It’s completely up to posters if they want to post about featured songs in there or begin new threads - issue is, that so many new threads just slip off the page with no replies because people don’t recognise the name. Lots of hidden gems go unnoticed each week on the NMF playlist, so this is a way of giving posters a place to discuss them without having to create a thread. I’ve seen it on another forum and it works well. By the way, songs released midweek often appear on the NMF playlist, so it appears Spotify can keep up with the times!
    Oh, fair enough. I didn't realise. Hope it works though i have doubts. People in general just don't care.
    Even if you put a famous name in a thread title like i did for Nasty Cherry (Charli XCX's girlgroup) the thread dies because nobody cares.
    It still presents a problem of repetition, though. Could be counter-productive to actual artist threads thriving.

Legend
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)

by » Tue April 23rd, 2019, 23:53

I think I talked myself into supporting Proposal 1, especially if the genre is included in the title. i think I'm more likely to check out a new song if I don't have to go to a genre-specific forum to do it. Also like the idea of tours having their own section.

Legend
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

by » Wed April 24th, 2019, 07:46

I'd personally go for Proposal 2 out of those, but given my limited interest in anything current, I can't say I'm that fussed which option happens. I'm more interested in the great idea of having the Retro split out by decades - going into the Retro and seeing things that are only five years old makes me feel old!

Legend
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

by » Sun April 28th, 2019, 00:50

I love the idea of doing away with genres, so I'm in favour of Proposal 1.
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, it’s not an option.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

by » Wed May 1st, 2019, 17:59

When will the structural change happen?
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018