Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kylie Minogue - Step Back In Time: The Definitive Collection

Legend
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed May 8th, 2019, 02:36

This is useless and I have a mixed review and perception of this.

1) Who the f*ck releases a GH's album in 2019?

2) I already listened to the album , Yes, I didn't even need to wait for this to be released. I just looked at the tracklist and did a playlist of the songs by myself and streamed them (just shows how pointless this release is).

3) The difference between disc 1 and disc 2 is just ridiculous, if anything what I got from this is the lack of memorable songs / hits she has before the year 2000, of course there were some great standouts on disc 2 but for the most part they were just d*mn boring flat songs, I think it would've been better to not separate the songs per periods like that, she should have mixed them all up instead because by doing this the Disc 1 ended up being the real star here and outshadowing Disc 2 completely.

4) No songs from KMO, I get that it's not a very liked Kylie album but still (IMO) a mistake to not include one song from it.

5) This is said to be a "Definitive Collection". What Kylie collection could be considered definitive without "Chocolate" on it? for real? I think there's something wrong with the tracklist and that a few songs shouldn't be there, I mean she included "The One" and "Timebomb" (which as catchy as it may be it doesn't belong to any important project) yet she excluded "Chocoloate" (AKA one of the finest gems of her career . . . and an actual Top 10 UK hit).

6) The new track "New York City" is not solid enough to justify this release.

--

Despite my criticism over this my listening to the songs made me found real standout singles and reflect on her career. I could realize the following songs were great singles:

* Most of the songs on Disc 1 plus:

Better The Devil You Know
    Wouldn't Change A Thing
    I Should Be So Lucky
    The Loco-Motion
    What Kind Of Fool (Heard All That Before)
    Confide In Me
    Breathe
    Where The Wild Roses Grow

--

I'm really missing "Did It Again" and "Chocolate" in this and I think "Into The Blue" should've been there too.
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Legend
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed May 8th, 2019, 02:40

I just want the book that comes with one version lol

I can "stream" them in my head -bar NYC

Legend
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed May 8th, 2019, 02:47

Quote Originally Posted by MrLeonix View Post

4) No songs from KMO, I get that it's not a very liked Kylie album but still (IMO) a mistake to not include one song from it.

I'm really missing "Did It Again" and "Chocolate" in this and I think "Into The Blue" should've been there too.
    I do miss Chocolate and Did it Again, and yeah not even including Into the blue is a slap to KMO, which I happen to like.

Glad Timebomb got a "proper" release though, that's one of her best non-album songs

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed May 8th, 2019, 03:49

Oh my god I didn't notice that "Into the Blue" was snubbed! I wonder why that was the case? It would have been so good if it was a comprehensive listing of at least one track from every album she did!

I don't see it as a pointless release but I think it would have been better as a box set. It would have been great to have this promoted as a collector' item with all her singles.

Her fans are the only ones who will check this out and she could have avoided the argument of fans disputing over the snubbed songs.

Legend
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed May 8th, 2019, 04:31

I agree to some extent that they needed to set up the GH game if they wanted to release it.

I don't think Kylie and her team are stupid, they MUST know and a conversation had that a GH within a streaming world is almost null and void. They must be very confident in the physical sales (as Golden sold over 110k in physical) to look at putting this out.

However, what I mean by step up the GH game, is giving something different and something to drive the purchase of a GH, which sits outside of having a tracking list of key singles.

They could have done SO much more to celebrate 30 years, as lets be real, 30 years still in the game is HUGEEEEE.

Eg:

- Include a B-Side CD (FANS want this - and its different. Australia went CRAZY for the anti-tour, it would give her a certified album in Australia for the 2010's). Fans would by physicals and STREAM the hell out of a B-Side inclusion.
    - Include a video CD (people still like to get music videos), and this is an added bonus (give us some behind the scenes from 30 years).
    - Include some exclusive interviews over the past 30 years on a CD within the bundle (surely this can be done in a cost effective and structured way)
    - Provide a '30 years of Kylie book' with the bundles (can't by separate). Which looks to include some personal photos, and some personal non-used lyrics written by Kylie etc.

Like come on, I love Kylie and her big fans, yes will buy this. But they need to step outside the generic side. Kylie needs to be leading the way with something new. While everyone is looking away from Greatest Hits, Kylie can use this and put out a HUGE GH bundle and stand out.

Anyway.....
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerPeur
    Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney
    So does her microphone

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed May 8th, 2019, 04:51

I don't think this was created for revenue as the main priority. I mean, when was the last greatest hits that sold so much? Carrie Underwood's best of in 2014?

Also, Kylie's team loves to release greatest hits. She has like 10 official compilation albums.

It would have been great to have a magazine or coffee table book of Kylie throughout the years.

Legend
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed May 8th, 2019, 18:27

They missed a trick not releasing a triple CD containing more singles and her most popular B-sides and album tracks.

This GH has a place in 2019 - Kylie is a cross-generational artist and millions of people still have CD players in their cars (and homes). She’ll sell a decent amount across the last six months of the year, helped by multiple performances in the summer.

Legend
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed May 8th, 2019, 19:30

My tracklist tweaks:

• As much as I adore "Please Stay," it wasn't a huge hit or a massive fan-fave (as far as I know), and I don't think Light Years needs to occupy 5 tracks. Including "Your Disco Needs You" was a great move, and omitting "Please Stay" would make room for "Into The Blue" (you can't call this a definitive collection while completely ignoring an entire studio album, holiday ones aside). This collection could also use more post-K25/The Best of Kylie Minogue moments, which "Into The Blue" would provide.

• Like others have said, WHY is "Celebration" here? Kylie's cover wasn't a big hit, and the original remains the definitive version. Axing it is obvious, and would open a slot for "Did It Again."
    • "Shocked" is another personal fave, but I'd be willing to sacrifice it for a second Let's Get To It track. They did that album the same disservice on Ultimate Kylie, but "If You Were With Me Now" was a UK Top 5 and "Finer Feelings" seems to get a lot of fan support, so I'd prefer to see at least one of those make the cut here.

I LOVE the suggestion of a 3rd disc for B-sides/demos/rarities!

Legend
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed May 8th, 2019, 20:49

No, Shocked and Please Stay to 100% stay! Please Stay is so underrated.

Legend
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed May 8th, 2019, 21:55

From the American standpoint, I'd say Please stay is pretty much a non factor, whereas I've actually heard Celebration on the radio a few times. ( More times the original than Kylie's but hey! ) so maybe it's for the American public perhaps?

Legend
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed May 8th, 2019, 23:00

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    It's refreshing to see someone rush to "Please Stay"s defense! I thought it was generally viewed as the safe/forgettable single selection that denied camptastic "Your Disco Needs You" its chance to shine (in the UK, anyway).

I'd be open to cutting "Never Too Late" or "Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi" instead of "Shocked." I like NTL too, but it doesn't sit right that her first 3 albums get 4 entries each, while Let's Get To It has to settle for one (even Greatest Hits got two, for some reason) I don't think LGTI deserves its black sheep status (at least as far as her PWL albums are concerned).

Quote Originally Posted by AndiIversen View Post
    From the American standpoint, I'd say Please stay is pretty much a non factor, whereas I've actually heard Celebration on the radio a few times. ( More times the original than Kylie's but hey! ) so maybe it's for the American public perhaps?
    She's been so criminally under-appreciated here throughout her career, I feel like we forfeited our right to any consideration ages ago If the US market was on her team's mind for this release, I imagine they would've shoe-horned "It's No Secret," "Butterfly," and/or "All I See" in there somewhere. Though I'm pretty sure I've heard Kylie's version of "Celebration" in at least one car commercial before, so you might be onto something there...

Legend
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu May 9th, 2019, 06:00

I don’t see the point of a Kylie GH at all as there are basically a 100 of them.

In times of Spotify I couldn‘t care less and would create a Kylie playlist for myself?
    gimme, gimme, what I want, what I deserve, gimme, gimme | My last.fm

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon May 13th, 2019, 06:39

"Did It Again" is always snubbed!

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed May 15th, 2019, 23:23

Please Stay is my fav from Light Years
    nekoo.cz - follow me

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 26th, 2019, 13:56

Just preorded the vinyls, can’t wait
    nekoo.cz - follow me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon May 27th, 2019, 08:16

Great playlist, I'm looking forward for it!
    Ain't you ever seen a princess be a bad bitch?

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue May 28th, 2019, 01:19

For some weird reason, there is a slow growing demand for physical copies again. Can't wait to get this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue May 28th, 2019, 02:40

I hate the fact that she payed dust to ITB, DIA and Chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue May 28th, 2019, 02:41

I'm mad, she gave us a huge bop, she ditched the Country Kylie to get back to Poppy Kylie and we all failed to her :/ New York City at least should've been on the Official Charts top 100 :/

Superstar
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon June 3rd, 2019, 03:17

Quote Originally Posted by GetBack View Post
    "Did It Again" is always snubbed!
    IIRC Some Kind Of Bliss was the glaringly obvious missing from Ultimate Kylie. I remember back in the day also before they uploaded the full impossible princess album I think the live version from that Hits+ compilation was the only one available on ITunes and the official video.

Legend
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon June 3rd, 2019, 03:29

Quote Originally Posted by GetBack View Post
    For some weird reason, there is a slow growing demand for physical copies again. Can't wait to get this.
    I love the sense of "ownership" I get with a physical copy that I never get with mp3/data/stream

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon June 3rd, 2019, 11:49

I love the sense of "ownership" I get with a physical copy that I never get with mp3/data/stream
    I think the young generation is slowly discovering that sense of ownership and sentimental value in music these days.

Legend
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon June 3rd, 2019, 20:30

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    True. Please Stay is one of my all time favorite Kylie songs.
    My personal chart with 10 Madonna songs... new... - Click here

Superstar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon June 3rd, 2019, 21:29

So true ! I usually just buy the physical copies now to keep my collections complete, so for many years most are unopened as I listen digitally to all my music now. But I still remember the days of rushing down to the record store to pick up new releases on the day, and most of the time it was exciting because we didn't know what to expect.

I just wish there was something more distinctive about this Kylie release, like a few rarer tracks etc. But I guess it's not for fans more for those who hear her at Glastonbury and want to listen to her hits.
    It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
    But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is