User Tag List

Thread: Is 2019 the most boring year in music so far?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu May 2nd, 2019, 22:44

There hasn't been released any album by which I am completely impressed with. Also, there list of albums that have been already announced are pretty unimpressive.

Legend
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu May 2nd, 2019, 22:49

So far there haven't been albums for me now that I think about it, I can't name one. But I have a feeling that this year will be better than last year for example. I think some albums that interest me are released in June.
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu May 2nd, 2019, 22:54

Madonna’s coming to save us pop boys in June.

Manager
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri May 3rd, 2019, 19:30

2014 was a fantastic year IMO! Dance music was brilliant.

Since Ed Sheeran killed the charts over two years ago, every year I get less and less interested in them. At least 50% of the singles chart is tuneless rap.

Legend
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri May 3rd, 2019, 19:37

Ari's album is great, and I enjoyed Lizzo's, too, but there haven't really been many stunners so far songs-/singles-wise thus far. The year does feel super dry at this point. I'm hoping for the Q4 releases to really storm through and save the year. Where's the good sis RiRi when you need her?

Quote Originally Posted by menime123 View Post
    Madonna’s coming to save us pop boys in June.
    She's certainly off to a rocky start with her first two singles, but, hopefully, she'll deliver!
    You can search the entire universe and not find a single being more worthy of love than you.

Akini's Top 100 Drag Race Queens: [#5 - Most successful queen ever]

Superstar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri May 3rd, 2019, 20:10

To me 2019 is already better than 2018!

My bops so far:
    - Marina‘s album
    - Dido‘s album
    - Carly‘s new songs
    - Daya
    - Aura Dione
    - Mabel
    - Little Mix (Wasabi)
    - Clean Bandit and Ellie Goulding
    - Ava Max (So Am I)
    - ILIRA
    - Kim Petras
    - Kylie

Legend
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri May 3rd, 2019, 20:24

Plenty of great modern albums out there. You just have to look in the right places.

My favorite albums so far:
    Weyes Blood | Titanic Rising
    Sharon Van Etten | Remind Me Tomorrow
    Solange | When I Get Home
    Last edited by Jonathan; Fri May 3rd, 2019 at 20:26.

Legend
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri May 3rd, 2019, 20:39

It has been amazing so far for me, best in a long time!

My most favorite artist (Kerli) has released an album after six years, my favorite band (Within Temptation) has released an album after five years, plus releases by Avril, Ariana, German Pop goddess Lena, some fantastic rock releases, new Pink, finally new Marina & Ashley Tisdale... i think i‘ve never heard that many songs and albums after four months in a year like I did in 2019

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri May 3rd, 2019, 20:42

The only songs I've played more than 10 times this year that aren't Eurovision:

Chris Malinchak - Wash My Soul
    India Arie - What If
    Fleur East - Favourite Thing
    Lizzo - Juice
    Fickle Friends - Say No More
    Calvin Harris & RagNBone Man - Giant
    Tyga - Floss In The Bank
    Black Saint - Everybody Wants You
    Marina - Handmade Heaven

Kind of low considering we're into May now.

Legend
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri May 3rd, 2019, 20:47

Will Young's song is the only song I can honestly say it's amazing from this year, the rest that I listen to, goes from ok to good bop.

Thank god Tove Lo is releasing this month so I will have my masterpiece for this year. The only artist that I listen from this decade...

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat May 4th, 2019, 15:12

I have yet to buy an album this year and not because of purchasing principles or financial reasons but rather because I have yet to find an a new release that I'm truly interested in. That's very unusual for me and probably happened for the last time 15 years ago. I mean, so far there's Billie Eilish and... That's it basically. There's so much autotuned rap mess out there that songs that would be considered 'just OK' a few years ago are already kind of standing out this year. Madonna's 'Madame X' will probably be my first album to be bought - and I wasn't even fully convinced by the single. Hopefully the rest of the year has something good to offer musicwise...

Superstar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 5th, 2019, 09:45

I no longer listen to albums in the traditional way but now choose to add individual songs in various genres and listen to them as I go. I added 15 newly released songs to my library on Friday and that is probably average for this year so i think it's going quite well! If we compare that to the early streaming days I was finding a lot less songs that I liked enough to add. Perhaps there are more new music playlists now or they are bigger but there has never been a better time to discover great new music than in 2019.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 5th, 2019, 09:53

No.
    2011, 2013 but especially 2016 have been way more boring.

cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Manager
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 5th, 2019, 12:04

Quote Originally Posted by luckyONE View Post
    No.
    2011, 2013 but especially 2016 have been way more boring.
    WHAT??? Those are literally the most exciting years this decade. You‘ll hear from my lawyer.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 5th, 2019, 12:46

Quote Originally Posted by JeremySpears View Post
    WHAT??? Those are literally the most exciting years this decade. You‘ll hear from my lawyer.
    2010, 2012 and 2017 disagree

cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu May 16th, 2019, 20:06

I was going to say Hunter by Anna Calvi has saved the year for me and then realised it came out last year :-(

by » Sat May 18th, 2019, 12:29

I believe so. I think this demand-demand-demand attitude and the ability that streaming services (Youtube included) has given to people to dissect albums all at once, eras ending literally the second the album is released, has ruined the fun and memorability of popular music.

I was just thinking about The Defamation Of Strickland Banks by Plan B. I was 16 when that album came out, and what a rollout. Having to wait to see how the story progressed with each video (when we actually watched music videos on TV, still) and each song being able to have a life of it's own - that album today would not enjoy half the life it enjoyed then. That's just one example, but I like not being able to hear an album all at once, discovering it slowly, almost. Sometimes your mind would be changed halfway through an artist's campaign, now your mind is almost made up straight away.

Plus, there seems to be little humour in music now. It's all the same artists, same feuds, overzealous fans over hyping mediocrity and taking it all way too seriously. It's just pop songs, yet so often current artists are put on a pedestal for actually achieving very little creatively. Charts are entirely about hype and less about a great songs gaining massive popularity. Alot of people don't actually know what's out there at the moment. As long as an artist can utilise their core audience to stream the same body of work over and over at the same time, that's all that matters - you don't even need reach to get to the top anymore.
    Leave the grouch out of it - just listen to music like normal people and then you might appreciate/ enjoy it

Legend
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

by » Sat May 18th, 2019, 12:57

Quote Originally Posted by DnBLover View Post
    @TripTheTrackFantastic nice analysis.
    Thank you!

I worded it a little badly - essentially I just wanted to say that there's little memorabilia in current pop music, and casual pop listeners aren't, actually, really listening, as opposed to just 10 years ago when, if an artist had a hit, EVERYBODY heard it/ knew it/ probably loved it. That's not so much the case now, alot of people can't name a hit for months, in some cases over a year. The industry has changed, but it's become more insular and divisional as opposed to open and connective - charts less representative of a song's mass popularity and more of how much hype a core group can generate for it in a week.
    Leave the grouch out of it - just listen to music like normal people and then you might appreciate/ enjoy it

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue May 21st, 2019, 06:46

Quote Originally Posted by TripTheTrackFantastic View Post
    Thank you!

I worded it a little badly - essentially I just wanted to say that there's little memorabilia in current pop music, and casual pop listeners aren't, actually, really listening, as opposed to just 10 years ago when, if an artist had a hit, EVERYBODY heard it/ knew it/ probably loved it. That's not so much the case now, alot of people can't name a hit for months, in some cases over a year. The industry has changed, but it's become more insular and divisional as opposed to open and connective - charts less representative of a song's mass popularity and more of how much hype a core group can generate for it in a week.
    I actually was thinking about this. I thought i was the only one. It’s hard to name a song or new artiste that catches everyone’s attention nowadays. Even the so called bigger names are relatively tiny when you compare them to how huge the big ones were years back.

Legend
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue May 21st, 2019, 06:52

2013 was the last exciting year in music.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeBoy View Post
    I wonder if there has ever been a thread where WBT wasn't mentioned on Ukmix

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue May 28th, 2019, 10:15

Thats true.. I cant think of any good album from past two or three years.... I rather listen to oldies where the bands were creating a music industry, not destroying it.
    Three rules of work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.