User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: Eurovision Song Contest 2020, TBA, The Netherlands

  1. #1
    Mainshow's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    06 Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    16,143
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Sat May 4th, 2019, 21:25

    This thread is about the forthcoming 65th Eurovision Song Contest!

    Provisional List of Participants



    By 04.05.19, 8 countries have preliminary confirmed to take part!
    Australia, Belarus, Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Norway, Portugal, Sweden
    RETURNING COUNTRIES:
    DEBUTING COUNTRIES:
    WITHDRAWING COUNTIRES:

    Dates:
    .05.20 | First Semi Final
    .05.20 | Second Semi Final
    .05.20 | Grand Final
    Last edited by Mainshow; Tue May 21st, 2019 at 07:53.
    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

  2. #2
    Mainshow's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    06 Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    16,143
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Sat May 4th, 2019, 21:27

    ENTRIES

    SEMI FINAL 1

    SEMI FINAL 2

    BIG 5 + HOST COUNTRY
    France
    Germany
    Italy
    Spain
    United Kingdom
    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

  3. #3
    Mainshow's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    06 Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    16,143
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

  4. #4
    Mainshow's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    06 Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    16,143
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Tue May 21st, 2019, 07:56

    After a nerve-wracking but well-deserved victory in Tel Aviv, Duncan brought the Eurovision Song Contest back to the Netherlands!

    So far, these cities stated that they would like to host it next year:
    Rotterdam, Amsterdam, The Hague, Leeuwarden, Zwolle, Maastricht, Utrecht, North Brabant, Arnhem.
    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

  5. #5
    Mainshow's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    06 Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    16,143
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Wed May 22nd, 2019, 22:06

    After rumours had occured stating thst Andorra would like to cooperate with a Catalan broadcaster to come back to Eurovision, they have just ruled out a participation in Eurovision 2020.

    https://eurovoix.com/2019/05/22/ando...eturn-in-2020/
    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

  6. #6
    greek_boy's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    08 Aug 2006
    Posts
    30,610
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Sun May 26th, 2019, 20:20

    I'd love to see Andorra back :(

  7. #7
    Mainshow's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    06 Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    16,143
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Wed May 29th, 2019, 16:52

    It would be indeed lovely to see Andorra back but apparently, there might be some hope left when it comes to Luxembourg since "local Eurovision fans in Luxembourg, together with various artists including the 1973 Eurovision winner Anne Marie David, are calling for RTL‘s return to the Contest next year":

    Can we really believe that the Grand Duchy does not have the means to pay the €150,000 fee to participate in Eurovision, unlike the small state of San Marino? Any sponsor or sponsor would be happy to support RTL, which would gain a strong audiovisual audience!




    Let’s admit that in terms of “Nation branding”, Eurovision is a boon for Luxembourg. We can not pretend to weigh on the European stage and refuse to participate in the only festive event that genuinely brings together the popular public of our continent.
    soucre: ESCBUBBLE
    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

  8. #8
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    25,983
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Wed May 29th, 2019, 17:22

    well, San Marino likes to outsource their participation fee via Serhat or Ralph Siegel (7 out of their 10 participations).
    Waffles are checked cookies

  9. #9
    theMathematician's Avatar
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    31 May 2018
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,251
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Wed May 29th, 2019, 18:31

    Back in the day, it used to be more common for random artists to represent a country at the ESC, such as Celine Dion, who is Canadian, yet represented Switzerland at the ESC. Glad that that's changed, otherwise the wealthiest country could just book the biggest popstar in the world at the moment - which is not the point of the show. If San Marino want to participate, they should send a singer from their own small country instead of relying on a Turkish singer or a German producer.

  10. #10
    Mainshow's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    06 Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    16,143
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Wed May 29th, 2019, 18:44

    Amsterdam actually doesn't want to host Eurovision. The mayor just said that - although it's not illogical to see Amsterdam hosting such a big event - she would like to not get into the way of other cities getting the chance. Next year, Amsterdam will already host the UEFA championship as well as Sail 2020 and it has to deal with too many tourists each year anyway.

    Actually, I really like the idea of seeing the Eurovision Song Contest move to Rotterdam, Maastricht or Utrecht next year.

    https://eurovoix.com/2019/05/29/euro...st-eurovision/
    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

  11. #11
    Mainshow's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    06 Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    16,143
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Wed May 29th, 2019, 18:46

    Quote Originally Posted by theMathematician View Post
    Back in the day, it used to be more common for random artists to represent a country at the ESC, such as Celine Dion, who is Canadian, yet represented Switzerland at the ESC. Glad that that's changed, otherwise the wealthiest country could just book the biggest popstar in the world at the moment - which is not the point of the show. If San Marino want to participate, they should send a singer from their own small country instead of relying on a Turkish singer or a German producer.
    I fully agree! It might be very difficult for such a small country to come up with local productions... That's why I don't mind seeing producers, composers from different countries, though...but I also prefer it when the artists have a connection to the country they do represent.

    At least, Céline Dion was able to speak French.
    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

  12. #12
    beredy's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    09 Nov 2010
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    7,287
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Wed May 29th, 2019, 18:51

    I don't really know why San Marino even participates. They don't even have televote. They use the pot system for them every year (like they did for Belarus televote this year). They never send their own artists (do they even have music business?!)... It's baffling tbh. And if they win they will probably have to import everything, down to the hosts.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
    .

    Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

  13. #13
    Colbie's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    09 Sep 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,645
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Wed May 29th, 2019, 19:18

    Rotterdam or Maastricht for the win! If it would be in Rotterdam (Ahoy) i could be there in 45 minutes, would be awesome!

  14. #14
    LastDreamer's Avatar
    Roadie
    Join Date
    01 Feb 2019
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    600
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Thu May 30th, 2019, 09:55

    Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    They never send their own artists (do they even have music business?!).
    Valentina Monetta is Sammarinese and they sent her 4 times.
    Miodio had three Italian and two Sammarinese members.
    Also, don't forget about Anita Simoncini (female half of 2015 duet)
    Last edited by LastDreamer; Thu May 30th, 2019 at 09:58.
    My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).

    Dreamer, you must to visit Lithuania and see/listen a live concert of your YVA strawberries.

  15. #15
    beredy's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    09 Nov 2010
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    7,287
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Thu May 30th, 2019, 10:13

    Quote Originally Posted by LastDreamer View Post
    Valentina Monetta is Sammarinese and they sent her 4 times.
    Miodio had three Italian and two Sammarinese members.
    Also, don't forget about Anita Simoncini (female half of 2015 duet)
    Or they send the 3 people they have over and over.

    Still makes no sense why would a country of about 32,000 inhabitants participate other then just because they can. The televote is the main problem. Logically they would award 12 points to Italy if they had televote, but they never do. The problem might be the fact they use Italy's televote among others in the pot and as Italy can't vote for themselves they lose points there in the aggregate televote they make up for San Marino. Imagine if Italy lost in a close race call for a meager couple of points. Chances are they would win if they let SM have proper televote.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
    .

    Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

  16. #16
    Mainshow's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    06 Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    16,143
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Thu May 30th, 2019, 11:34

    Apart from Miodio's entry, I don't think that San Marino has added anything to Eurovision, tbh.
    The productions don't feel very authentic, especially when you think of Valentina Monetta who's a jazz artist but thanks to Ralph Siegel, she had to perform trashy, Eurovision-esque dated "pop"(?) tunes.
    Serhat ain't better... he's basically just paid the broadcaster of San Marino to do a 3-minute-karaoke-performance in front of 180 million viewers performing a song which took him 10 minutes to write.

    Even though each country/broadcaster is entitled to submit whatever they like to Eurovision, I still think that they somehow should take it (more) seriously... either submitting something they truly believe in or soemthing in which their language, culture, spirit is portrayed. San Marino fails to do so despite trying to sending some native entrants from time to time.

    Also, I have the same stance like beredy on the issue of the aggregated and fake televoting of San Marino. It bothers me a lot because the EBU is messing up the final results and they look less valid to me thanks to San Marino. The broadcaster even reached out to the EBU a few years ago asking them if they allow them to host a "Eurovision screening" in San Marino with 500/1,000 people and ask them to vote in that setting [which can be used as "televoting"]. It would be way more appropriate than using the televoting from Cyprus and altering a bit to make it look like "this is how San Marino could have voted".

    I seriously believe that the televoting results from San Marino are wrong as well. I wish wiwiblogs and other ESC Fan pages would report it, tbh:

    How's possible that Greece gets 10 points whilst it's basically just Cyprus (12) and Albania (2) voting for "Better Love" [none of the other 38 countries voted for Greece!!!!] but still the EBU made San Marino give 10 points to Greece! - whilst Italy only received "8 points" for example... and in a case like @beredy just mentioned, it could even cost Italy a potential victory.

    Like the Belarusian jury votes, the San Marino Televoting result is aggregated and should include the televoting results of neighbouring countries/countries in the same pot like San Marino.

    If we take this into account, this would be the correct Televoting results:


    12 Italy 3,00
    10 Russia 3,40
    8 The Netherlands 3,60
    7 Switzerland 4,00
    6 Norway 8,00
    5 Azerbaijan 9,00
    4 Australia 9,00
    3 Iceland 9,40
    2 France 11,80
    1 Sweden 12,40
    --------------------------------
    Compared to the "fake/wrong" aggregated televoting results [mis]calculated by the EBU
    12 Russia
    10 Greece
    8 Italy
    7 Cyprus
    6 The Netherlands
    5 Switzerland
    4 Azerbaijan
    3 Norway
    2 Iceland
    1 Israel
    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

  17. #17
    greek_boy's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    08 Aug 2006
    Posts
    30,610
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Thu May 30th, 2019, 20:01

    Quote Originally Posted by Mainshow View Post
    Apart from Miodio's entry, I don't think that San Marino has added anything to Eurovision, tbh.
    The productions don't feel very authentic, especially when you think of Valentina Monetta who's a jazz artist but thanks to Ralph Siegel, she had to perform trashy, Eurovision-esque dated "pop"(?) tunes.
    Serhat ain't better... he's basically just paid the broadcaster of San Marino to do a 3-minute-karaoke-performance in front of 180 million viewers performing a song which took him 10 minutes to write.

    Even though each country/broadcaster is entitled to submit whatever they like to Eurovision, I still think that they somehow should take it (more) seriously... either submitting something they truly believe in or soemthing in which their language, culture, spirit is portrayed. San Marino fails to do so despite trying to sending some native entrants from time to time.

    Also, I have the same stance like beredy on the issue of the aggregated and fake televoting of San Marino. It bothers me a lot because the EBU is messing up the final results and they look less valid to me thanks to San Marino. The broadcaster even reached out to the EBU a few years ago asking them if they allow them to host a "Eurovision screening" in San Marino with 500/1,000 people and ask them to vote in that setting [which can be used as "televoting"]. It would be way more appropriate than using the televoting from Cyprus and altering a bit to make it look like "this is how San Marino could have voted".

    I seriously believe that the televoting results from San Marino are wrong as well. I wish wiwiblogs and other ESC Fan pages would report it, tbh:

    How's possible that Greece gets 10 points whilst it's basically just Cyprus (12) and Albania (2) voting for "Better Love" [none of the other 38 countries voted for Greece!!!!] but still the EBU made San Marino give 10 points to Greece! - whilst Italy only received "8 points" for example... and in a case like @beredy just mentioned, it could even cost Italy a potential victory.

    Like the Belarusian jury votes, the San Marino Televoting result is aggregated and should include the televoting results of neighbouring countries/countries in the same pot like San Marino.

    If we take this into account, this would be the correct Televoting results:


    12 Italy 3,00
    10 Russia 3,40
    8 The Netherlands 3,60
    7 Switzerland 4,00
    6 Norway 8,00
    5 Azerbaijan 9,00
    4 Australia 9,00
    3 Iceland 9,40
    2 France 11,80
    1 Sweden 12,40
    --------------------------------
    Compared to the "fake/wrong" aggregated televoting results [mis]calculated by the EBU
    12 Russia
    10 Greece
    8 Italy
    7 Cyprus
    6 The Netherlands
    5 Switzerland
    4 Azerbaijan
    3 Norway
    2 Iceland
    1 Israel

    The San Marino televoting results are decided based on the voting of the countries in the same pot, as defined by EBU:




    However, none of these countries (apart from Cyprus) gave any points to Greece (televoting results). I don't get it either and I think it is ridiculous that they are using an aggregated result as the official televoting results of San Marino. The SM broadcaster should've withdrawn as this is completely unfair. If they cannot do televoting, then do not participate or figure something out (like a big panel of citizens or have an online voting via app).

    In general, I completely dislike the approach of the SM broadcaster. They assign the job to external companies to find the next representative for ESC and in the end they have foreign songwriters and artists represent them in the worst possible way. Italian is such a beautiful language and Italy has a massive list of singers (Arisa would've loved to participate but she said San Marino asked her for a large amount of money).

    San Marino does not offer any value to the contest, their entries are cringeworthy and borderline trolling. I wish they had withdrawn to be honest. Please bring back Luxembourg/Andorra and take San Marino out lol.

  18. #18
    greek_boy's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    08 Aug 2006
    Posts
    30,610
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Thu May 30th, 2019, 20:03

    Quote Originally Posted by Colbie View Post
    Rotterdam or Maastricht for the win! If it would be in Rotterdam (Ahoy) i could be there in 45 minutes, would be awesome!
    It seems that it is gonna be Rotterdam, the mayor of Amsterdam said that the city will be busy so they wouldn't prevent another city from winning the bid.

    I hope they win soon and have beautiful Amsterdam host it

  19. #19
    Mainshow's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    06 Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    16,143
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Thu May 30th, 2019, 23:24

    Apparently, Maastricht is very likely to end up hosting the contest next year.

    A Radio DJ just "announced" it.. claiming that he knows it from a very reliable source (Dutch broadcaster). Nothing is 100% official, though, but right now, Maastricht seems to be the hottest contender.
    https://www.1limburg.nl/giel-beelen-...aar-maastricht
    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

  20. #20
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    25,983
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Sat June 1st, 2019, 13:09

    Quote Originally Posted by greek_boy View Post

    San Marino does not offer any value to the contest, their entries are cringeworthy and borderline trolling. I wish they had withdrawn to be honest. Please bring back Luxembourg/Andorra and take San Marino out lol.
    I kinda prefer last 10 entries from San Marino to last 10 entries from UK
    San Marino had decent entries in 2008, 2013 was alright and 2014 wasn't too bad.
    what is more strange that Serhat filled the void for Italo Disco in Eurovision, it wasn't done perfectly, but someone had to do it eventually
    Last edited by heppolo; Sat June 1st, 2019 at 14:11.
    Waffles are checked cookies

  21. #21
    beredy's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    09 Nov 2010
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    7,287
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Sat June 1st, 2019, 13:28

    ^The difference being UK isn't even trying or doesn't even seem like they want to be there, while San Marino obviously wants to be there badly.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
    .

    Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

  22. #22
    JakeP's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2013
    Posts
    5,867
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Sat June 1st, 2019, 13:33

    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo View Post
    I kinda prefer last 10 entries from San Marino to last 10 entries from UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by greek_boy View Post
    San Marino does not offer any value to the contest, their entries are cringeworthy and borderline trolling.
    Just to emphasise these comments, i would even suggest that the BBC** are trolling moreso than San Marino.

    The UK could quite easily submit some amazing songs to eurovision but BBC almost every year throw in the towel and enter a song that on first listen i think "yeah, last place fodder". Only Blue, Molly and Lucie Jones have been the most noteworthy songs from this decade. 3/10 is not a good ratio.

    **purposely putting BBC instead of UK

  23. #23
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    25,983
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Sat June 1st, 2019, 14:12

    Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    ^The difference being UK isn't even trying or doesn't even seem like they want to be there, while San Marino obviously wants to be there badly.
    San Marino wants to be there if somebody else is paying
    UK and BBC pay for their dismal entries.
    San Marino uses the Eurovision platform for a good cause since about 50% of the national income is coming from the tourism industry which draws about 3.15 million people annually. And in Eurovision a goofy or random (or even comedic) entry like Serhat has more chances of creating a social network storm than even a relatively bland winner like Duncan. Suddenly San Marino is noticed.
    Last edited by heppolo; Sat June 1st, 2019 at 14:15.
    Waffles are checked cookies

  24. #24
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    25,983
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Sat June 1st, 2019, 14:18

    we also have Denmark with a relatively run-of-the-mill set of entries since 2014 (except for Rasmussen, which some people enjoyed)
    Waffles are checked cookies

  25. #25
    greek_boy's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    08 Aug 2006
    Posts
    30,610
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Sat June 1st, 2019, 23:32

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeP View Post
    Just to emphasise these comments, i would even suggest that the BBC** are trolling moreso than San Marino.

    The UK could quite easily submit some amazing songs to eurovision but BBC almost every year throw in the towel and enter a song that on first listen i think "yeah, last place fodder". Only Blue, Molly and Lucie Jones have been the most noteworthy songs from this decade. 3/10 is not a good ratio.

    **purposely putting BBC instead of UK


    I agree! Lucie and Molly were ROBBED.


    I wish BBC would stop the ridiculous national final, it's not working at all. The last format they used was awful and it clearly failed to impress.

    Why is it so hard to find someone on board who loves ESC and wants to put the country back to the left side of the scoreboard?

    They should take a break but unfortunately, they can't withdraw.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •