Legend
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 15:44

UKMIX Forum Changes: May 2019

Feedback Survey

Thank you again to everybody who took part in the feedback survey earlier in the year - if you haven't already seen, the responses and results from these questions are broken down and commented on HERE.

Premium Users

We've begun the Username Amnesty, which runs until the end of May and we're going to give Premium Users their own colour, which should hopefully help make them more visible on the homepage. Look out for a poll soon in the Premium Forum where you can vote for the winning colour.

New Forum Structure

After your feedback on the proposed options, the team have decided to go with a refreshed structure to tie in with the upgrade from earlier in the year. As such, you will now see that the genre forums have been removed - all topics have been moved over (following a fair amount of time and effort by the moderators and admins I should add!) to our three new music forums:

• Songs
    • Albums
    • Tours

Another big change is The Retro now becomes The Vault! All songs over five years old are now housed in their own decade sub-forums, making categorising and search easier. The Retro Charts (name unchanged) can be found in their respective decade sub-forums.

Lastly, as stated in the feedback results:

• Celebrity Gossip and World News & Politics = World News & Celebrity Gossip
    • TV and Movies = Entertainment

New Music Friday Thread

As previously mentioned, the forums homepage will be seeing a New Music Friday thread, which will present as a forum that directs you to the thread. urbanmusik has put himself forwards to manage this thread and keep it regularly updated - we hope this thread will help showcase the best in new music each week and encourage posters to discover and recommend more new music! This ties in with...

Spotify Embedding

Spotify embedding has been introduced on UKMIX to tie in with the NMF thread - this enables you to embed songs, albums or playlists within your post. See HERE for instructions on how!

Thread Formats

It's been agreed that a consistent thread title format will be put in place for the songs and albums - please create your new threads in the following way:

Artist - Title Of The Song Or Album (feat. XXX)
    Artist - Title [EP]
    (only use for EPs in the Albums forum)

Please try not to add any extra information that clutters up the title.

Emoticons

New emoticons which will closely resemble the iPhone emojis will soon be added to our current batch, however, just to make it clear - these are hosted smilies, they are not emoticons (i.e. the Apple emoticon on your mobile phone will not translate to this software - you will instead use one of the centrally hosted smilies which look the same). Emoticons currently aren't easily accessible on the mobile site, but it is something that should change...

Forum Upgrades

In 6-9 months time, Wayne will be upgrading the forums again - this time to vBulletin 5 software. The vBulletin 5 software is considerably more mobile friendly and sleeker - at that point, he will also need to re-design the site as the current style is compatible predominantly on vB4 templates and a final decision on a homepage will be made. Thank you for your feedback on the homepage, it will all be considered when the time comes!

The current options available to mobile users are to remain on mobile style with limited functionality or use the desktop style on your mobile.

View Your Posts

The "View Your Posts" button is something that many people like to use - this still exists! Click on the "My Posts" drop-down arrow in the top-right of the desktop-view forum page. This gives you three options to view your posts, your threads and threads you have posted in.

Like Button

A "like" button will soon be introduced to compliment our user rep system, enabling you to like individual posts.

GIF Usage

Just to re-iterate what was announced a few weeks back, GIFs can now be used more widely:

• Songs, Albums and Tours
    • The Vault
    • The Lounge
    • General Artists Discussion

GIFs should not be posted outside of these forums and there is a strict limit of one GIF per post. Excessive use or not adhering to these new rules may result in infractions being issued or the policy being reversed altogether after a review later in the year.

Facebook

Facebook integration is coming to UKMIX - we're not entirely sure what this looks like as yet, but it's another development to look out for later in the year!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 15:46

I am so excited for this new structure, really happy about a tour section!
    And I knew I was not crazy about GIFs lol.
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Legend
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 15:55

I‘m surprised by this change as more people voted for proposal 2 with genres instead of songs/albums.

Huge thanks for all the work, but I really have to say I‘m not a big fan of that change. Let‘s see if I‘ll get used to it.

Legend
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 16:25

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike View Post
    I‘m surprised by this change as more people voted for proposal 2 with genres instead of songs/albums.

Huge thanks for all the work, but I really have to say I‘m not a big fan of that change. Let‘s see if I‘ll get used to it.
    We considered that, but only 16 people had voted on the proposals at the time of closing - absolutely dreadful number considering how many active users we have! If the contribution had been greater, we'd have definitely given it a lot more consideration.

Legend
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 16:29

Great job, Wayne! I’m especially pleased for gifs.

I’ll definitely consider upgrading to Premium soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy View Post
    This is her most overrated song ever. And one of my least favorite [Kween] songs.
    Two Noodz Later:
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy View Post
    You made me appreciate and love the GOAT

Manager
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 16:35

Artist - Title Of The Song Or Album (feat. XXX)
    This is incorrect according to the language rules for titles in English. This example should be:

Artist - Title of the Song or Album (feat. XXX)

The Diva
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 16:39

Hope you’re taking notes @Thriller hun

Manager
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 16:40

Like Button

A "like" button will soon be introduced to compliment our user rep system, enabling you to like individual posts.
    Wait, users wanted this?

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 16:40

Quote Originally Posted by aRat View Post
    Wait, users wanted this?
    Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll get at least one... one day.
    SLOW DOWN PAPI... NO MEN IN ME.

Legend
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 16:42

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    This is incorrect according to the language rules for titles in English. This example should be:

Artist - Title of the Song or Album (feat. XXX)
    We make our own rules here babes.

Legend
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 16:54

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    We considered that, but only 16 people had voted on the proposals at the time of closing - absolutely dreadful number considering how many active users we have! If the contribution had been greater, we'd have definitely given it a lot more consideration.
    Thanks for replying!

Yeah, I was surprised there weren't more voters in that poll as well. Anyways, I hope I get used to the new format. It just doesn't make sense at all for me, especially as someone who also roots for not so popular artists who will get lost faster now - at least that's what I think, so I'll see how it will be after a while, maybe my fears won't be true and it will all be fine. So still a big thanks for all the work you and others put into all of this, it's really appreciated even if I'm not the biggest fan of that particular change so far.

Manager
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 16:56

Quote Originally Posted by menime123 View Post
    Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll get at least one... one day.
    Thank you, MenInMe henny

My dream is to have as many likes as the number of men that have come through your door

Superstar
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 16:56

I still wish GIFs weren't allowed. It was refreshing not seeing GIFs everywhere.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Legend
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 16:57

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike View Post
    Thanks for replying!

Yeah, I was surprised there weren't more voters in that poll as well. Anyways, I hope I get used to the new format. It just doesn't make sense at all for me, especially as someone who also roots for not so popular artists who will get lost faster now - at least that's what I think, so I'll see how it will be after a while, maybe my fears won't be true and it will all be fine. So still a big thanks for all the work you and others put into all of this, it's really appreciated even if I'm not the biggest fan of that particular change so far.
    Hopefully it works out, but these things are always open to review further down the line! Glad you appreciate the efforts.

Legend
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roadie
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 19:01

Thanks team. Though I think GIF usage should be allowed by Premium members. Maybe it would entice others to become Premium members?
    | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Manager
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 20:07

It’s just getting worse and worse for me, sorry to say.
    Good luck with your work though, I respect that.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 20:24

Quote Originally Posted by Preyoncé View Post
    Thanks team. Though I think GIF usage should be allowed by Premium members. Maybe it would entice others to become Premium members?
    !!!

Legend
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 22:35

I don't really like that genre threads ended. I understand that the diversity of ukmixers decreased massively, but still this will wipe out everything which is not commercial.

I also don't really like the gifs, but congrats on everyone for the work.

I'm not sure I voted myself, so that's that.
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Legend
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 22:52

Quote Originally Posted by DnBLover View Post
    I don't really like that genre threads ended. I understand that the diversity of ukmixers decreased massively, but still this will wipe out everything which is not commercial.
    I would like to reassure everyone that the restructure proposal was discussed in detail by the moderation team, and we did consider the fact that many people still like to consume music by genre - I can't speak for everyone, but in my view UKMIX was behind the times with how we discussed music (we were one of the few remaining large forums to still have genre forums). Further, we were seeing a real decline in music discussion by forum...I initially only shared this with the moderation team but the below represents this point:

UKMIX: Last 6 Months Posting Stats(by forum)

UKMIX
    Forum

Last
    12 Months

Last
    6 Months

Last
    3 Months
    Weekly
    Average
    Last 12
    Months
    Weekly
    Average
    Last 3
    Months

3 Month
    Decline
    General Music Discussion 8,173 3,698 1,623 142 125 -12%
    General Artists Discussion 102,236 60,253 17,877 2,317 1,375 -41%
    Music Games & Survivors 35,296 15,878 6,926 611 533 -13%
    The Retro 10,380 4,565 1,948 176 150 -15%
    Pop 23,268 10,592 4,459 407 343 -16%
    R&B & Urban 14,405 4,415 2,287 170 176 4%
    Dance & Electronic 2,062 802 380 31 29 -5%
    Rock & Alternative 2,134 868 442 33 34 2%
    Country, Americana, Folk
    & World Music
    460 141 91 5 7 29%
    Chart Analysis 16,181 7,519 3,413 289 263 -9%
    Artist Chart Analysis 53,040 23,835 9,786 917 753 -18%
    Personal Charts 11,684 6,927 4,078 266 314 18%
    Celebrity Gossip 5,880 3,046 1,924 117 148 26%
    TV 10,903 4,230 2,460 163 189 16%
    Movies 1,671 821 393 32 30 -4%
    The Lounge 27,408 11,378 5,087 438 391 -11%
    World News & Politics 3,751 1,750 823 67 63 -6%

What we've tried to do is consolidate the number of forums to make the experience a bit more seamless and in recognition of numerous underperforming forums - if the issue of genre proves to be a sticking point, we can always introduce genre prefixes which might prove to be a helpful middle ground for those that still like to consume their music that way. Also, a very valid point around pushing less mainstream music down was raised - we'll review this on an ongoing basis as we wouldn't necessarily want to stifle discussion on less mainstream music (but with a caveat that ultimately, the community determines what's popular via discussion).

Superstar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 22:53

Thanks guys, great to hear you are giving more priority to the mobile functions

Legend
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon May 13th, 2019, 01:52

@Wayne and all the moderators, I respect the effort behind all of these changes. Thanks for your thoughtfulness and openness to feedback.

I am in the camp of: if it ain’t broke don’t fix it...but change is part of life. And perhaps users outside of Mariah Land were unsatisfied. I appreciate that although Mariah is a huge part of the forum that this is a general music forum with a diverse group of users.

Still happy to be a part of this community!