Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forum Changes: Please Read

by Mon May 13th, 2019, 06:48

Oh noes this is going to be so confusing and hard to search for new songs.

I.e the Pop section was always messy and hard as is
    Forever Young

by Mon May 13th, 2019, 11:55

Quote Originally Posted by Loveguru View Post
    Oh noes this is going to be so confusing and hard to search for new songs.

I.e the Pop section was always messy and hard as is
    How so? Instead of four forums to check when you visit, we now have one for individual songs, one for new albums and one thread that links to a new music playlist.

My view is that ultimately, we are a music forum and discussion is the main driver. I went through the old Dance and Electronic section and there were thousands of threads about individual songs, but literally zero discussion: you can sort of gage that from the figures Wayne posted.

So by implementing a new way of discovering released music, continuing to allow threads for all new releases and putting all discussions in one place, Im more inclined to think it will be easier than ever to discover something new and discuss it

Superstar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

by Mon May 13th, 2019, 13:10

I'm a big fan of the changes and I think the merging of genres will help us all discover more new music.

One question: Let's say I find an obscure new Indie or Dance song on Friday that I think is great, do I post it in Songs or in the New Music Friday section?

Legend
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)

by Mon May 13th, 2019, 13:12

Quote Originally Posted by ludichris View Post
    I'm a big fan of the changes and I think the merging of genres will help us all discover more new music.

One question: Let's say I find an obscure new Indie or Dance song on Friday that I think is great, do I post it in Songs or in the New Music Friday section?
    Either or, it's up to you!

Legend
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)

by Mon May 13th, 2019, 13:13

@menime123 so true - the amount of 0 reply topics I moved from Pop was insane, and that's only the last five years' worth!

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

by Mon May 13th, 2019, 13:37

I would've prefered the version with genre subforums; but maybe, we'll get used to it somehow. Not a fan of excessive usage of GIFs either, but if there was a huge demand for them... Thanks for all the moderators' efforts though.

Legend
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)

by Mon May 13th, 2019, 16:51

Quote Originally Posted by theMathematician View Post
    I would've prefered the version with genre subforums; but maybe, we'll get used to it somehow. Not a fan of excessive usage of GIFs either, but if there was a huge demand for them... Thanks for all the moderators' efforts though.
    Havent seen a single gif posted in the threads I visit so far. Maybe it wont be as prevalent as feared.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

by Mon May 13th, 2019, 17:05

Anything has been decided regarding MariahMix yet?
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Legend
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

by Mon May 13th, 2019, 17:43

Yaasssss updates k?mix is finally in the 2010s.
    Quote Originally Posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Legend
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)

by Mon May 13th, 2019, 17:57

Quote Originally Posted by KEY9481 View Post
    Anything has been decided regarding MariahMix yet?
    We're currently working through this but we hope to announce the decision either tonight or tomorrow.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Legend
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)

by Mon May 13th, 2019, 20:35

Quote Originally Posted by bm08 View Post
    Havent seen a single gif posted in the threads I visit so far. Maybe it wont be as prevalent as feared.
    Just check the Random Thought thread...
    My Instagram... - Click here

Legend
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

by Mon May 13th, 2019, 20:36

I won’t win a popularity contest expressing my opinion. However, I dislike the elimination of the genres a lot. I’d love to have them back.

New Music Friday on the other hand was a brilliant move.
    Last edited by Loose; Mon May 13th, 2019 at 20:39.
    gimme, gimme, what I want, what I deserve, gimme, gimme | My last.fm

Superstar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Mon May 13th, 2019, 21:08

I don't like the new changes at all. Genres separated in threads are what make this forum so unique and organised. We like the change guys and the time you've put into this, but I think you're overdoing it now, it was good as it was.
    Don't Worry, Cause You're Really Not That Hard to Replace.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by Mon May 13th, 2019, 21:29

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    UKMIX: Last 6 Months Posting Stats(by forum)

UKMIX
    Forum

Last
    12 Months

Last
    6 Months

Last
    3 Months
    Weekly
    Average
    Last 12
    Months
    Weekly
    Average
    Last 3
    Months

3 Month
    Decline
    R&B & Urban 14,405 4,415 2,287 170 176 4%
    Country, Americana, Folk
    & World Music
    460 141 91 5 7 29%
    Personal Charts 11,684 6,927 4,078 266 314 18%
    TV 10,903 4,230 2,460 163 189 16%
    Interesting list of stats. Here's my own analysis (because why not? )

RnB forum - i know how popular Mariah is on UK Mix. I mean, why else would we invent MariahMix. MadonnaMix? There's potential there. ArianaMix? Maybe in a few years time. LanaDelReyMix? Just not snappy enough, is it? So yes, i think Mariah is possibly the main reason for the RnB forum getting a boost.

Country forum got its big boost thanks to Old town road. A three page topic and the song is still at the height of its popularity. I rarely ventured into this forum so for all i know most topics were lucky to get 3 comments, yet alone 3 pages.

Personal charts. <3 I find it really interesting to see what music others like, love the sharing experience when my faves are also someone else's faves. Then the ability to discover a track from someone else's chart (or even year end chart). It's how i discovered Alec Benjamin's Let me down slowly back in January. Plus the biggest boost would've surely stemmed from CZB's incredible all time UK Mix countdown. <3

TV will have got its boost from such shows as Game of thrones (even though i've still never seen it), Drag race plus the ongoing Eurovision song contest 2019 which will be all over and done with by this time next week. Where does the time go?

So i just thought these particular boost served a purpose and shouldn't reflect badly on the other forums for generating a negative result.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by Mon May 13th, 2019, 21:34

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    @menime123 so true - the amount of 0 reply topics I moved from Pop was insane, and that's only the last five years' worth!
    How many views did the threads have? I know i've visited threads in the genre forums out of curiosity over the years, checked out said song, found it a bit underwhelming/boring/not to my personal tastes and swiftly left thread never to return.

Legend
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)

by Mon May 13th, 2019, 21:37

A decision has been made on MariahMix - see the details here.

Appreciate that the changes won't be to everyone's liking but I hope in time you'll all get used to them - as I said, the genres thing doesn't have to be a big issue and we can look at introducing genre prefixes to topics if there's a strong desire for them.

by Mon May 13th, 2019, 21:41

Quote Originally Posted by DnBLover View Post
    I don't really like that genre threads ended. I understand that the diversity of ukmixers decreased massively, but still this will wipe out everything which is not commercial.
    I agree.

It didn't particularly feel as though there was a massive demand amongst members for a structural change.

The loss of the genre forums is a massive shame in my view. But hey ho.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

by Mon May 13th, 2019, 21:43

I like the idea of separating retro songs.
    My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).

Dreamer, you must to visit Lithuania and see/listen a live concert of your YVA strawberries.

by Tue May 14th, 2019, 03:12

Quote Originally Posted by DnBLover View Post
    I don't really like that genre threads ended. I understand that the diversity of ukmixers decreased massively, but still this will wipe out everything which is not commercial.

I also don't really like the gifs, but congrats on everyone for the work.

I'm not sure I voted myself, so that's that.
    Agree w/above poster. Also, with no genre's, it looks like it's going to be primarily a pop music forum, then. No alternative/indie(?) Or, current alt/indie will be in The Vault, under 2010's? Re: the gifs & further updates later in the year - are you looking to be more like Tumblr? For me, that's not desirable, but I'm probably the minority.

Otherwise, thanks for the dedicated work. UKMIX is a terrifically run (& fun!) community forum!
    ​If in the after life there is no music, we will have to import it ~ Domenico Cieri Estrada

Legend
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by Tue May 14th, 2019, 04:02

Oh, so now the first page of the songs/albums forum will be full of Mariah topics?

I lost my interest a lot in these subforums since the change and it really is messier than I first thought, I‘m sorry but it‘s getting a bit too much now

Legend
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

by Tue May 14th, 2019, 06:48

Having genres was one of the most appealing things on UKMIX. You had such good overview on what’s trending now in R&B.

All that appeal is gone now with the merged section.

Plus I find it very annoying to use the SEARCH function every time I want to contribute to an R&B topic as Pop is clearly dominating the sections!

It kind of puts me off that Taylor Swift, Rita Ora and other kiddie boppers appear everywhere now.
    gimme, gimme, what I want, what I deserve, gimme, gimme | My last.fm

Legend
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

by Tue May 14th, 2019, 12:37

we were seeing a real decline in music discussion by forum
    Wayne, but the decline is in 2/5 genre forums - I don't get the point of removing them. Music is always discuss by genre and always will be, I don't see why UKMIX is behind it? really?

And @DnBLover had a point - I can see most of rock/dance topics sink down while all pop/rnb topics will stay at the top of singles and albums forums. For those (Like me) who first visit rock and dance forums and very rarely rnb, it will be a disaster to search new topic for rock/dance music (thank god Mariah is excluded from all those forums).

Superstar
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)

by Tue May 14th, 2019, 12:38

Quote Originally Posted by jszmiles View Post
    Wayne, but the decline is in 2/5 genre forums - I don't get the point of removing them. Music is always discuss by genre and always will be, I don't see why UKMIX is behind it? really?

And @DnBLover had a point - I can see most of rock/dance topics sink down while all pop/rnb topics will stay at the top of singles and albums forums. For those (Like me) who first visit rock and dance forums and very rarely rnb, it will be a disaster to search new topic for rock/dance music (thank god Mariah is excluded from all those forums).
    Oh, you haven't heard? MariahMix is no more. She's coming back!
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie