User Tag List

Thread: The Economics of Music Videos In the Digital Age

Superstar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Mon May 13th, 2019, 22:48

Really interesting article on Billboard about the costs of music videos, the full article focuses on Taylor Swift's ME! I have summarised the key points but it's definitely worth a read.

Sources estimate Swift's big comeback visual cost seven figures to make.

YouTube pays out roughly $1.50 for every 1,000 views, by those calculations, $190,000 would have gone to Swift for the 127 million views of "ME!" as of early May, and nearly $550,000 to Ariana Grande for her 365 million views of "thank u, next"(not counting cuts taken by labels, publishers and other entities, of course).

Music-video costs range from $2,500 (for an indie-label project) to $700,000 or more (for a pop superstar like Swift, Grande or Drake). Vince Staples' 2018 video for "FUN!" cost roughly $200,000, says his manager, Corey Smyth, although it has just 3.7 million YouTube views.

Country stars spend $30,000 to $250,000 per video

Dave Meyers, who co-directed "ME!," once said his typical video budget in the late '90s, the end of the MTV era, was $1 million.

Labels generally front the money for videos, although artists are frequently charged for the expense until they make enough in royalties to recoup the costs. If artists believe in high-cost projects, they occasionally add their own funds beyond their labels' expense ceiling.

Labels often calculate potential YouTube revenue when creating video budgets, then work backwards to figure out how much they can spend.
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...-age-economics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Thu May 30th, 2019, 03:46

This is very good, it will be on my saved recipes list.