User Tag List

Thread: The Return of the (Boy)bands

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue May 14th, 2019, 22:08

Despite initially having broken up in the 90s or early 00s, some popular boybands have found their way back to the stage, including Backstreet Boys, New Kids on the Block or Take That. The Spice Girls and All Saints are active again, too, and NSync recently joined Ariana Grande for a duet. I think that's a great development because they used to be popular for a reason and even now that they don't sell millions of records anymore, they still have a solid and loyal fanbase. In many cases, the band members became victims of their massive egos, believing that they'd have a bigger career as solo stars than as part of the band, which worked in nobody's favor. I hope more boy- and girlbands get back together and find a way to deal with their issues, including e.g. Sugababes, No Angels or the Pussycat Dolls.
    What do you think: Do boy- and girlbands deseeve a 2nd chance?

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu May 16th, 2019, 17:26

Definitely Sugababes would.
    A supergroup, I'd love it.
    "Despair, regret, and tenderness is what I feel for you"

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu May 16th, 2019, 23:54

Boy and girl bands will always come in and out of fashion - they’re a music staple and every generation seems to have them, from the Jackson 5 and The Supremes right though to One Direction and Little Mix.

I was reading about The Jonas Brothers, who had a recent US #1 single (Sucker) which is supposed to be the first US boy band song since B2K back in 2003 (surprisingly 1D never had a US #1). So we might be one the cusp of another boy band revival?

In terms of older acts reuniting, I welcome them all. There’s nothing like a bit of nostalgia and with people happy to pay for tickets there’s money to be made. I went to the Big Reunion TV concert a few years ago and I lived my childhood: 5ive, B*Witched, Liberty X, Atomic Kitten, 911, Blue and The Honeyz. It was like digging out an old ‘Now’ CD

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri May 17th, 2019, 01:48

The online clamor in social media about the nineties nostalgia has helped nineties act get resurrected. Westlife, BBMak and O-Town are back as well. It's also happening not just to pop acts but to R&B acts as well. B2K (from the 2000s) is also doing well in their comeback tour, Next has also returned as well as Jagged Edge and 112.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri May 17th, 2019, 15:26

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
    Definitely Sugababes would.
    A supergroup, I'd love it.
    I might be in the minority on that one, but I liked Sugababes' music during all of their eras. Of course their music has changed over the course of time, but then again, Britney Spears' 'Baby One More Time' and 'Work Bitch' don't have much in common musically either. It's just an unusual case of their debut album having been their most mature work musically, and regarding 'Sweet 7': It was a product of its time that wouldn't write pop history but shouldn't have lead to their disbanding either. A break of one year and musical reorientation would've been more than enough. As with many girlbands (and some boybands), their biggest problems were the catfights behind the stage. In all jobs, there are fellow workers you like more and ones you like less, so talk it out and get back to work. The Sugababes have had an impact on European pop culture up to today and they could still rock it. On the other hand, the solo albums of Mutya and Siobhan were quickly forgotten and Heidi is 'busy' attending talk and cooking shows.

@GetBack: It's great that this nostalgia trend is working because those bands owe much of their career achievements to their fans, so it's only fair to show appreciation to them in the form of new music and going on tour again. And as menime123 correctly pointed out, the bands are earning money (and not too little), too, so both parts profitted from a return to the stage.

Legend
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal chart with four new entries... at #... - Click here