Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chernobyl

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

by Wed May 15th, 2019, 01:10

Astonishing drama - hard to believe such things actually happened. First ep chronicles the initial explosion in pretty much real time. Second ep gets even more tense and terrifying as the reality of the situation becomes clear. The potential horror statistics alone make you shudder.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by Wed May 15th, 2019, 03:13

Watch this win a lot of awards, it’s very good!!!! HBO really never disappoint.

Legend
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)

by Sat May 25th, 2019, 09:35

I'm two episodes in and I love it thus far.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)

by Sat May 25th, 2019, 09:43

This is a slay

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

by Sat May 25th, 2019, 09:46

Waiting for 4th episode. It slows down a bit in third episode but still a captivating issue.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)

by Sat May 25th, 2019, 09:54

Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy View Post
    Waiting for 4th episode. It slows down a bit in third episode but still a captivating issue.
    Really? I hought the last episode was the most intense yet, all the people's skin falling off and them dying in pain. That looked so terrifying

I also absolutely love that the scientists are the protagonists of the series.
    About damn time we got a mainstream story told by a scientist's perspective.
    Last edited by aRat; Sat May 25th, 2019 at 09:56.

Legend
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

by Sat May 25th, 2019, 16:02

My friends are raving about this on Facebook.

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by Sat May 25th, 2019, 16:03

I understand why it's getting praise and I like it but it isn't something I'd rave about.
    I will watch it all but I'm not captivated for everyone's impending doom pretty much.
    "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Fri May 31st, 2019, 14:11

Unbeliveble frightening story!!!! This is just pure gold at tv series history! After GoT dissapointment this is a good patch from HBO!
    Three rules of work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by Fri May 31st, 2019, 14:42

Last episode was scary. As hell.
    "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Manager
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

by Wed June 5th, 2019, 20:19

Despite a lot of fictional elements and scientific explanations that seemed overly simplistic I really enjoyed this. I watched the first three episodes the same night and had trouble sleeping afterwards. I'm also old enough to remember when it happened, including the first reports on Swedish radio when they didn't know where the radiation was coming from.
    Last edited by Magnus; Thu June 13th, 2019 at 12:32. Reason: Changed it back to better reflect reality

Legend
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)

by Thu June 6th, 2019, 19:42

Exceptional finale and really great miniseries in general - thoroughly enjoyed it.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)

by Thu June 6th, 2019, 19:54

Loved the finale, it was so intense.

Truth aka Science always wins biatch

Legend
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)

by Mon June 10th, 2019, 06:50

Chernobyl tourism spikes 40% after success of TV adaptation

After the success of Sky Atlantic and HBO’s drama Chernobyl, tourism is said to have risen by 40%.

The series recounts the events of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster of 1986, one of the worst man-made catastrophes in history.

In what is now one of the most highly rated television shows of all time, Chernobyl reached its haunting conclusion in early June, with the finale flipping between the courtroom drama of the trial and the chaotic events in the power plant control room in the hours leading up to the explosion.

But Reuters have now alleged that one Chernobyl tour agency has reported a 40% rise in trip bookings since the series began in May.

Sergiy Ivanchuk, director of SoloEast tours, told Reuters the company saw a 30% increase in tourists going to the area in May 2019 compared with the same month last year.

Bookings for June, July and August have risen by approximately 40% since HBO aired the show, he said.

Yaroslav Yemelianenko, director of Chernobyl Tour, said he expected a similar increase of 30-40% because of the show; his company offers a special tour of locations depicted in the series, including the bunker where the initial decision by local officials not to evacuate after the explosion was made.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/06/chern...ation-9853460/

Superstar
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)

by Mon June 10th, 2019, 08:19

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Despite a lot of fictional elements and some scientific explanations that seemed overly simplistic I really enjoyed this.
    Could you mention some of those fictional elements? I've been reading and searching about Chenobyl a lot and it's amazing how accurate and how meticulous they've been. The only really big fictional element was the character of Khomyuk, but at the epilogue the show explains why they did that and that she represents a whole bunch of scientist who wanted the truth to come out and for the RMBK reactors to get fixed in order his doesn't happen again. Which makes sense when you have 5 episodes and can't introduce and/or focus on lots of characters and doesn't change the basic story or truthfulness of the story.

And I know that the helicopter didn't crash at that point, but changing the timeline there also didn't impact what happened, so that one slides under dramatic effect.

The details in the show are amazing and lots of them fall under the radar. Like when Lyudmila held a pair of shoes when they were burying her husband among other firefighters. The reason behind it is sad as **** and when I read it hit me really hard but they just kept it and didn't explain it and there are loads of very detailed easter eggs like that which you wouldn't think about when watching the show but when you find out it really elevates the show into a completely new level.

So I'm really interested what is so fictional (a lot) about it, when nearly every report (and even some from high ranking officials back then) says how accurate it really is.

Also this Russian stunt about making their own "version" is such an irony, when a lot of what happened in and after Chernobyl is because of SSSR trying to spin their own version of truth and things.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Superstar
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)

Manager
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

by Mon June 10th, 2019, 13:21

Great drama. One of the best HBO Original series for sure.

Manager
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

by Mon June 10th, 2019, 15:34

Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    Could you mention some of those fictional elements?
    "A lot" was probably not the best choice of words. Yeah, I was thinking about Khomyuk and also the trial was completely different (Legasov and Shcherbina weren't even there, and it took a lot longer), and the smoke didn't look like that (except maybe in the very beginning). Those changes probably made the show better though. I also find it hard to believe (although I don't know the facts here) that not everyone in Pripyat woke up from the explosion, especially if it was as loud as depicted here.

Legend
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)

by Mon June 10th, 2019, 20:47

This was stunning television and I had to keep reminding myself that it actually happened! As if it wasn’t bad enough, but imagine if those three men hadn’t been able to prevent the further catastrophe and tens of millions died. The scenes in the hospital and their subsequent mass burial were awful.

I don’t get how tourism exists for Chernobyl... is it not still dangerous?!

Legend
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

by Tue June 11th, 2019, 04:39

A bit too much for me at times, I had to stop watching it. I actually remember when it happened -even though I knew most of them would be facing daunting experiences.
    btw, people need to remember it's a dramatization and not an actual docu
    Anyway, solid acting from most of the cast

Manager
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

by Thu June 13th, 2019, 12:34

Actually, after reading this article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#294d4f9b632f I changed my mind again. There really are a lot of errors in the show.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)

by Thu June 13th, 2019, 12:46

^That article is misleading. A lot of the "errors" has been explained and noted as creative decisions. The baby thing is lifted from Lyudmila's own book where that is what she was told and it's her belief her baby died so she could live. Also it makes sense the fetus was harmed by radiation much more than Lyudmila. Baby cells are fastly dividing and that makes them vulnerable the most. In grown people the tissues get get hurt first by radiation is those whose cells have faster divide/growth rate.

And a lot of the views on nuclear energy and science is represented from POV in the 80's. It would've been even worse if they approached it from today's scientific point of view and if they made Legasov and Khomyuk say things we know today. It would not represent the view, knowledge, beliefs and knowledge they had about nuclear energy and radiation dangers back then. The article makes the basic fallacy of not acknowledging the actual sources and actual situation (well documented) from back then, but goes on saying - wait 40 years later we know more about nuclear energy and Chernobyl gets that wrong, when it doesn't even make sense the show tackles today's views on nuclear energy because it's based on real life event from the 80's.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Legend
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

by Fri June 14th, 2019, 17:26

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    This was stunning television and I had to keep reminding myself that it actually happened! As if it wasn’t bad enough, but imagine if those three men hadn’t been able to prevent the further catastrophe and tens of millions died. The scenes in the hospital and their subsequent mass burial were awful.

I don’t get how tourism exists for Chernobyl... is it not still dangerous?!
    It's not. I was in Pripyat. You can't go there by yourself, but there are plenty tours from Kiev. You get strict instructions what you can and what you can't do and you're inspected on exit. In most places inside the zone you'll receive radiation that is equivalent to amount you get during average flight. Of course, it's not safe to live there, although there are people who returned (not to Pripyat or near reactor), but it's totally safe to visit for a day. It's exciting and terrifying in the same time, but totally unique and worth to see for various reasons.
    When we lose what we love
    Don't think anything will ever taste the same
    When we lose what we love
    Don't think anything will ever feel as good again