Thread: The controversial abortion restrictions sweeping the US

Manager
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed May 29th, 2019, 02:19

Quote Originally Posted by jio View Post
    I think you got an oxymoron here. I think the father should have a say if he wants the baby. Not a decisive say but an equal say to the woman. Yes it's her body... that's why she should have used that condom/ contraceptive/ whatever...

The reason why fathers are rarely discussed in this debate is that women who are absolutely sure they don't want a baby, they just go ahead and abort without informing the father (which is totally fine). However in a perfect world, once a woman does inform the father, his opinion should matter equally as that of the mother. It's his baby after all...

Also let me just notice that this is not about beauty...
    But there is a massive difference. If she doesn't want it she's the one forced to carry it for 9 months. How is that fair on her. Also its not just her responsibility to use condoms etc if he wanted to be a father then it should be discussed before. It's harsh but it's true. It's her body. She carries the baby. He doesn't. It's as simple as that. In a perfect world both sexes would be able to get pregnant. But this isn't a perfect world.
    3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!

Legend
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed May 29th, 2019, 02:32

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBreakaway View Post
    But there is a massive difference. If she doesn't want it she's the one forced to carry it for 9 months. How is that fair on her. Also its not just her responsibility to use condoms etc if he wanted to be a father then it should be discussed before. It's harsh but it's true. It's her body. She carries the baby. He doesn't. It's as simple as that. In a perfect world both sexes would be able to get pregnant. But this isn't a perfect world.
    I don't agree. Especially since, if a woman decides to keep the baby even without the father's consent, the father can be (rightly) forced to pay for the baby...

It's easy to say I support this or that but in reality there are many questions raised. It's not as simple as "it's my body". Of course abortions should be legal but at the same time it should only be a last resort available to certain (and not all) cases and not another alternative to contraception and law should ensure that.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed May 29th, 2019, 15:06

Quote Originally Posted by Bellus View Post
    Gross that religion is even being talked about regarding this matter.

The only 'religious view' (note the context) that matters is the one between the woman and her own decision.
    Nobody is using religious arguments here. That´s why I said abortion is not only a religious subject, but an ethical one. You don´t simply get away with sayng that it´s only a religious matter, so people should be allowed to do whatever.

Historically, abortion has always been considered an ethical problem, at least in the western culture. The hippocratic oath, which dates to centuries B.C., and has nothing to do with christianity, says: "Similarly I will not give to a woman a pessary to cause abortion. But I will keep pure and holy both my life and my art." This used to be the traditional oath taken by physicians, even in modern times.

It´s not like if you take religion out of the picture abortion suddenly becomes morally indiferent, like cutting your hair or nails the way you want. Abortion was already an ethical problem before monotheistic religions took over the world, and will continue to be even if religions are extinct. In fact, there´s nothing specific about the christian religion concerning abortion. Christian scriptures are pretty much silent on the subject. And no, it doesn´t simply involve a persons body and will. It involves the doctor and other professionals who work on it, the health care system, the partner, etc. It´s not simply like cutting your nails, "my body, my choice". Surely, it´s the woman´s body that suffers the consequences of a pregnancy, but the body is still involved in the process even after the baby´s birth (ex: carryng the baby, breastfeeding, etc). People don´t simply get away with the obligations that come with raising a child by sayng "it´s my body, therefore I cannot be forced to work and feed this child". Living in society requires that people take responsabilities that transcend simply doing what you want or like to do.

Manager
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed May 29th, 2019, 19:02

Quote Originally Posted by jio View Post
    I don't agree. Especially since, if a woman decides to keep the baby even without the father's consent, the father can be (rightly) forced to pay for the baby...

It's easy to say I support this or that but in reality there are many questions raised. It's not as simple as "it's my body". Of course abortions should be legal but at the same time it should only be a last resort available to certain (and not all) cases and not another alternative to contraception and law should ensure that.
    How exactly can law ensure that people are getting abortions for the 'right reasons' as you basically said. I don't actually think a large amount of people get abortions as a contraceptive. How can someone prove why they need an abortion. Are you telling me the scared rape victim who wants an abortion should be forced to tell them why?
    3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!

Legend
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed May 29th, 2019, 22:24

I did say I do not include rape in what I said...

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu May 30th, 2019, 00:48

It doesn't have to be the last option. You can have millions, all the support you want etc still, it's the best option if that what the pregnant person decides.

There needs to be more sex education, more access to contraception and there needs to be some other sort of contraception developed other than condoms.
    be kind to every kind

Legend
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun June 2nd, 2019, 06:40

Quote Originally Posted by Serby View Post
    It doesn't have to be the last option. You can have millions, all the support you want etc still, it's the best option if that what the pregnant person decides.

There needs to be more sex education, more access to contraception and there needs to be some other sort of contraception developed other than condoms.
    There are many ways of contraception other than condoms but still condoms are the safest wau and the only form that protects you from STDs too.