Thread: Dionne Warwick: Beyoncé is not an icon and songs aren't iconic anymore

Legend
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon May 27th, 2019, 11:46

Dionne Warwick Doubts Beyonce's Iconic Status

The legendary singer thinks Beyonce has a long way to go before she's an icon.

Dionne Warwick is feeling the wrath of the Beyhive after declaring Beyonce has not achieved the status of icon yet.

Dionne admitted Beyonce tops the pile of talent but she has some way to go before she can truly be considered an icon.

The 78-year-old said: "Watching her grow has been quite refreshing. It's wonderful to see how she's been able to create what and who she wanted to be and who she is...

"I'm very proud of that, I really am. Now, sustaining and becoming a big icon that Gladys Knight, or Patti LaBelle, or Johnny Mathis, or Frank Sinatra, or Sammy Davis Jr. is, I doubt that.

"I love her to death and can appreciate her talent, but that iconic status? It's a long road."

https://allhiphop.com/news/dionne-wa...ECqk6uvD5Js-w/
    She also goes on to suggest that there are no iconic singers or songs anymore...

When asked if today’s music also has classics, Warwick laughed and said firmly, “Not yet.”

“I don’t know if 10 years from now, anybody can actually sing the songs of our babies today. That’s not, as you guys say, ‘throwing shade,’ it’s looking at it with reality,” she explained.

https://www.essence.com/videos/dionn...conic-artists/

Manager
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon May 27th, 2019, 11:57

Well it's not like she is shading only Beyonce. She is actually praising her "admitted Beyonce tops the pile of talent ". It sounds more like nobody of the never generation will be an icon, not even Beyoncé. Im fine with her seeing it this way for her era and demographic I agree that these new artist won't be icons. But she is just out if touch and that's fine. You can ask any Person under 40 what is more remembered Crazy In Love or any Dione song. Being an icon now and back then ist just something different, which doesn't mean that there are no Icons from the 90s and 00s. She is not even mentioning anyone from the 90s as well so this also says a lot.
    Last edited by BeeBoy; Mon May 27th, 2019 at 11:59.

Legend
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon May 27th, 2019, 12:14

The definition of an icon is changing anyway, as the world and industry is so different to how it was 40-50 years ago. I’d argue Beyoncé is an icon of our times and probably will still be viewed as such when she’s in her 70s, despite her current music being her least memorable. I agree with her about today’s music not having classics - it’s hard to imagine which songs from the past five years (aside from bloody Greatest Showman) will still be being played in 30 years.

Dionne always looks like such a sour cow these days

Legend
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon May 27th, 2019, 14:07

Dionne is a legend. She is entitled to her opinion. I believe her definition of an icon is more so based on time in the industry. Some people get there "icon" status early on. Some get it when they are in their 60s. So I have to disagree with her on that.

Crazy In Love has already lasted 16 years and it, along with a few other Beyonce songs have lasted for some time. But she feels the way she does and in my opinion does not have to explain herself either

I disagree about the song comment too. There are a few songs from this generation that will be here 10, 20, 30 years from now. Adele and Rihanna both have a few songs that will truly go down in history.

But, she said what she said.
    Last edited by TIfan; Mon May 27th, 2019 at 14:12.
    Diva!!!

Legend
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon May 27th, 2019, 14:17

She wasn't really shading Beyoncé. It's just a generational issue, it's natural that she thinks that the artists from her time whose catalogues of music have endured up to 5-6 decades in the business are the icons of music, she got stuck there with that view having it hard to process the new generation and not being able to see more contemporary stars (like Beyoncé) on that level.

It makes sense, but she's pretty much dated with her views or perhaps out of touch with the modern pop culture.
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Superstar
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon May 27th, 2019, 16:55

She got the memo for free publicity I guess.
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Manager
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon May 27th, 2019, 17:22

It's always funny to me when people discuss (or rather argue about) who will be an "icon" or "legend" down the road. Completely pointless. To me, an iconic or legendary musician is someone who will be remembered for decades, even long after their retirement... or someone who is a household name, even to people who don't care about that artist (or music in general).
    There is no way of knowing who from the present will or will not achieve that status without having a fully functional magic crystal ball, because only time will tell.

I get where Dionne is coming from, but - as much as I love her - she comes off like an out-of-touch old fart with her viewpoint.
    I'm pretty sure I can find MANY young people who have never even heard of Gladys Knight or Johnny Mathis (might be shocking to some, but it still remains a fact). Are they really that iconic, if they obviously have NOT transcended generations?
    In the same way, how does she know that none of today's artists will still be listened to "ten years from now" (you can even swap that for twenty, thirty or whatever number you fancy).
    Times change, music tastes change... and literally EVERY generation seems to have this narrow-minded viewpoint that "today's music is crap, yesterday's music was iconic". Sit down, folks. You sound like your grandparents.

And I'm 39, so I'm pretty much an "old fart" myself... at least considering the average age on here.

If you are truly a music lover: Stay open-minded, people. There's always beautiful music and talented artists to be found - in EVERY decade.

Legend
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon May 27th, 2019, 17:36

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLinda View Post
    To me, an iconic or legendary musician is someone who will be remembered for decades
    Pretty much. If you get to be remembered decades later then you'll have made it as a legend.

Even if Beyoncé stopped working or retired tomorrow I doubt people would suddenly put a switch off and forget about "Crazy In Love", "Single Ladies" or "Halo" or was she's done in music as a black woman in the business with her great performances and impact. Beyoncé is definitely an Icon and IMO already a modern-day legend in the making.
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Legend
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon May 27th, 2019, 19:19

Quote Originally Posted by SholasBoy View Post
    What’s a Johnny Mathis
    Do your homework. He is a legend.
    My personal chart new female singer... at #1 - Click here

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue May 28th, 2019, 01:40

To be fair, she is forty years older than Beyoncé, and has lived through the rock and roll eras. Only time and death will tell if any of the pop stars today will have the same legacy as those heavyweights.

Manager
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue May 28th, 2019, 01:51

It's her opinion and let her be. While there's some truth to what she said, I think Beyoncé is an icon of our time and has achieved so much other artists can only hope to achieve. However, she still has a long way to go to be up there with the likes of Mariah, Whitney, Celine and Madonna.

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue May 28th, 2019, 15:04

if anyone from that generation has a shot at becoming a legend, it is her, Beyoncé.

pop stars of her generation generally don't do much more than sell themselves.

Legend
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu May 30th, 2019, 03:38

This time and decade arguement is stupid because MJ and Prince musical eras ended pretty early tbh but they are ICONS.

Beyonce is a legend anyways.

Also songs from this generations will last 20 years they need to calm down with that BS. You are gonna sick here and tell me HEY YA by outkast isn't going to be a thing in the next 20 years?
    Forever Young

Manager
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » Thu May 30th, 2019, 08:33

This dusty bish needs to sit down and eat her food. Beyonce is much bigger than she ever was.

Tired of these oldies thinking everything was so much better and that everyone had more talent back then...

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu May 30th, 2019, 10:11

Quote Originally Posted by aRat View Post
    This dusty bish needs to sit down and eat her food. Beyonce is much bigger than she ever was.

Tired of these oldies thinking everything was so much better and that everyone had more talent back then...
    I disagree..

Legend
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu May 30th, 2019, 16:44

Quote Originally Posted by stevyy View Post
    I disagree..
    You know Beyonce is probably at her Peak at the moment. Anything that she touches is $$.

Yes Chartwise it might not seem like that but people know Lemonade more than they do some of the biggest selling albums.

You have to look at things as a whole same way one could argue Britney was one of the hottest popstars 2007 even though black out didn't sell as much etc
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu May 30th, 2019, 18:20

Hmmm I agree with Dionne actually (although it is just my opinion). But what do I know? I am old too lol

Legend
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu May 30th, 2019, 18:37

Quote Originally Posted by Loveguru View Post
    You know Beyonce is probably at her Peak at the moment. Anything that she touches is $$.

Yes Chartwise it might not seem like that but people know Lemonade more than they do some of the biggest selling albums.

You have to look at things as a whole same way one could argue Britney was one of the hottest popstars 2007 even though black out didn't sell as much etc
    I quite agree, even though Beyoncé used to sell more and have more hits before I think she's way more influential in the music industry right now (definitely more than ever).

And I didn't want to say this at first but I will (it's just my personal and brually honest opinion), Beyoncé is more Iconic and legendary than Dionne Warwick herself was, is and will ever be.

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu May 30th, 2019, 21:12

Quote Originally Posted by MrLeonix View Post
    I quite agree, even though Beyoncé used to sell more and have more hits before I think she's way more influential in the music industry right now (definitely more than ever).

And I didn't want to say this at first but I will (it's just my personal and brually honest opinion), Beyoncé is more Iconic and legendary than Dionne Warwick herself was, is and will ever be.
    I disagree.

Manager
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu May 30th, 2019, 21:42

Since you would agree if the post was about Robbie Williams your opinion is not valid

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu May 30th, 2019, 21:57

Quote Originally Posted by aRat View Post
    Beyonce is much bigger than she ever was.
    and I- oop

tea
    Last edited by UndercovaSista; Thu June 13th, 2019 at 12:05.

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu May 30th, 2019, 22:10

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBoy View Post
    Since you would agree if the post was about Robbie Williams your opinion is not valid
    No, Dionne Warwick also had a bigger career / peak than Robbie Williams.

Legend
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri May 31st, 2019, 07:29

Y’alls need to brush up on y’alls history: Dionne was one of the first major black pop stars along with Diana Ross, essentially paving the way for King.
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy View Post
    This is her most overrated song ever. And one of my least favorite [Kween] songs.
    Two Noodz Later:
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy View Post
    You made me appreciate and love the GOAT