Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dionne Warwick: Beyoncé is not an icon and songs aren't iconic anymore

by » Mon June 3rd, 2019, 13:07

Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy View Post
    Well, she wasn't very kind towards Gaga. Calling her reductive wasn't a nice gesture.
    Oh but that was just one girl, and Gaga was lying and ripping her off.

But other than that she’s very welcoming with great things to say about Justin Timberlake, Eminem, Beyoncé, Katy Perry, Kanye West, Taylor Swift, Pharrell Williams, Britney Spears, Nicki Minaj, Miley Cyrus, Radiohead, etc ..
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Legend
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)

by » Mon June 3rd, 2019, 13:13

Quote Originally Posted by MrLeonix View Post
    Oh but that was just one girl, and Gaga was lying and ripping her off.

But other than that she’s very welcoming with great things to say about Justin Timberlake, Eminem, Beyoncé, Katy Perry, Kanye West, Taylor Swift, Pharrell Williams, Britney Spears, Nicki Minaj, Miley Cyrus, Radiohead, etc ..
    Still, it was shady as hell.

Dionne wasn't shady towards Beyoncé. Time can only tell if an artist will become an icon or not. Beyoncé is almost there imo. She's the only one of her generation who can be an icon.
    Cha Cha Instructor

by » Mon June 3rd, 2019, 14:47

Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy View Post
    Still, it was shady as hell.

Dionne wasn't shady towards Beyoncé. Time can only tell if an artist will become an icon or not. Beyoncé is almost there imo. She's the only one of her generation who can be an icon.
    What Madonna did doesn't change my opinion regarding what I said. I think that people who struggle to embrace the impact, success and status of someone from a new generation lacks the humility to do it and if I have to say Madonna lacks humility in order to support my claim I will . . . But I won't retract what I said, it won't change my view.

Again, situations where the old stars can't view someone new as an Icon only happens when there's lack of humility.

I don't think we'll have to wait Beyoncé to be 60 years old or 20 more years to call her an Icon or legend. Many of these stars were called legends 10 - 15 years into their career. Beyoncé has already done this for 22 years, and actually she has already outlasted (in terms of years of success) several of the big 5 divas.
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

by » Mon June 3rd, 2019, 15:07

The fact that she even THINKS that she should be an Icon makes her an icon using her logic because if the older generation that is snobby is debating ish about it means they know her issh and that darling is impact
    Forever Young

by » Mon June 3rd, 2019, 19:08

Quote Originally Posted by Loveguru View Post
    The fact that she even THINKS that she should be an Icon makes her an icon using her logic because if the older generation that is snobby is debating ish about it means they know her issh and that darling is impact
    Not all the older generation is like that though . . . Ask Tina Turner (A real massive legend btw) or Barbra Streisand about Beyoncé and they'll have nothing but sweet words for her.

Legend
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

by » Mon June 3rd, 2019, 19:52

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLinda View Post
    And I totally agree. She might have been huge in her heyday, but nowadays Dionne certainly isn't as universally known as Diana Ross, Dolly Parton, Barbra Streisand, Cher, Tina Turner, Aretha Franklin, Donna Summer or Janis Joplin.

I'm also genuinely curious to know what German radio station you listen to, because I certainly don't hear her songs on the radio every day. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I heard a Dionne Warwick song being played (truth be told, same goes for Barbra, but the other ladies mentioned still get regular airplay, especially Tina and Aretha).

Not trying to take anything away from her success, as I love me some Dionne, but she is not quite in the same league today.
    maybe people don't know her name anymore... but they know her music. And for a true artist that's more important than name-recognition... especially since social media / the internet did not exists when Dionne ruled the airwaves,

I mean nobody knows who Della Reese is and yet she is one of the highest legends of the grandes order as well.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

by » Mon June 3rd, 2019, 20:02

Quote Originally Posted by stevyy View Post
    maybe people don't know her name anymore... but they know her music. And for a true artist that's more important than name-recognition... especially since social media / the internet did not exists when Dionne ruled the airwaves,

I mean nobody knows who Della Reese is and yet she is one of the highest legends of the grandes order as well.
    Hun just stop, 99,999999% of people in Germany don't know who a Dionna Warlock is and they don't know any of her songs

by » Mon June 3rd, 2019, 20:32

Spotify Monthly Listeners:

1) Aretha Franklin - 7,830,002
    2) Dolly Parton - 6,937,539
    3) Cher - 6,504,631
    4) Tina Turner - 5,362,348
    5) Diana Ross - 4,502,387
    6) Nina Simone - 4,131,129
    7) Gloria Gaynor - 3,832,767
    8) Olivia Newton John - 3,728,309
    9) Etta James - 3,181,616
    10) Janis Joplin - 3,105,370
    11) Carly Simon - 3,077,902
    12) Dusty Springfield - 3,020,961
    13) Ella Fitzgerald - 2,842,346
    14) Donna Summer - 2,769,008
    15) Carole King - 2,741,398
    16) Joni Mitchell - 2,697,710
    17) Stevie Nicks - 2,537,937
    18) Barbra Streisand - 2,479,212
    19) Roberta Flack - 2,448,251
    20) Nancy Sinatra - 2,268,000

Dionne Warwick, not top 20

by » Mon June 3rd, 2019, 20:51

She's almost 80 so she's allowed to be a little out of touch but this is a CLASSSSSSSICCCCC!!!!!!

Legend
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

by » Mon June 3rd, 2019, 22:05

acting as if Dionne doesn't have over 2 million monthly Spotify listeners... i can't@MrLeonix.

Unless you are now claiming that only those 20 females from the old-days were legends... then good riddance to everyone else.

2,044,169 - Dionne Warwick.

Legend
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

by » Mon June 3rd, 2019, 22:05

acting as if Dionne doesn't have over 2 million monthly Spotify listeners... i can't @MrLeonix.

Unless you are now claiming that only those 20 females from the old-days were legends... then good riddance to everyone else.

by » Mon June 3rd, 2019, 22:11

Quote Originally Posted by stevyy View Post
    acting as if Dionne doesn't have over 2 million monthly Spotify listeners... i can't @MrLeonix.

I didn't say that Dionne didn't have 2 million listeners, neither I acted as if that wasn't the case. I just said she was not Top 20 among the females from those times which is a fact.

There are literally (AT LEAST) 20 more famale artists from those eras that are more known, listened and followed among the public. Dionne is not that dominating THESE DAYS as you were claiming, she did her thing and no one will take that away from her but we don't have to make her look bigger or more iconic than she actually is.

Legend
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

by » Mon June 3rd, 2019, 23:07

Funny ppl under 30 here claiming they don't know any Dionne Warwick song... as if ppl over 55 (which is the primary age group where Dionne's listeners mostly come from) would know any Beyonce songs lol lol
    Last edited by jio; Mon June 3rd, 2019 at 23:32.

Manager
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

by » Mon June 3rd, 2019, 23:11

Which is fine if true but just shows that her way of seeing an icon is wrong.

by » Tue June 4th, 2019, 00:31

1st team (Legends)

Madonna
    Michael Jackson
    The Beatles
    Rolling Stones
    U2
    Elvis Presley

2nd team (almost legends)

Elton John
    Mariah Carey
    Whitney Houston
    Celine Dion
    Eminem
    Queen

3rd team (Global phenomenon)

Nirvana
    Guns n Roses
    Adele
    Rihanna
    Beyonce
    Lady Gaga
    Britney Spears

4th team (Local phenomenon)

Skakira
    Kylie Minogue
    Thalia
    Maluma
    Xuxa
    Julio Iglesias
    Last edited by MadonnaIcon; Tue June 4th, 2019 at 00:38.

Manager
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

by » Wed June 5th, 2019, 10:35

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBoy View Post
    Which is fine if true but just shows that her way of seeing an icon is wrong.
    Exactly!

Legend
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Cha Cha Instructor

Forever Young

by » Thu June 6th, 2019, 15:08

For me it all starts and sums up to the 5 primary global music legends of contemporary music: Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Queen, ABBA and Michael Jackson.

then on a second tier you get the likes of: The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Madonna, Pink Floyd, Tina Turner and U2.

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by » Tue June 11th, 2019, 00:41

Quote Originally Posted by MadonnaIcon View Post
    1st team (Legends)

Madonna
    Michael Jackson
    The Beatles
    Whitney Houston
    Celine Dion
    Rolling Stones
    Mariah Carey
    Elvis Presley

2nd team (almost legends)
    Elton John
    U2
    Kylie Minogue
    Eminem
    Queen

3rd team (Global phenomenon)
    Nirvana
    Guns n Roses
    Adele
    Rihanna
    Beyonce
    Lady Gaga
    Britney Spears

4th team (Local phenomenon)
    Skakira
    Thalia
    Maluma
    Xuxa
    Julio Iglesias
    Fixed it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerPeur
    Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney
    So does her microphone

by » Tue June 11th, 2019, 00:51

For me it all starts and sums up to the 5 primary global music legends of contemporary music: Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Queen, ABBA and Michael Jackson.

then on a second tier you get the likes of: The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Madonna, Pink Floyd, Tina Turner and U2.
    ABBA bigger than Madonna/Rolling Stones/U2?

by » Tue June 11th, 2019, 00:56

Quote Originally Posted by Bellus View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    It feels so...reductive!

by » Tue June 11th, 2019, 01:17

Quote Originally Posted by MadonnaIcon View Post
    ABBA bigger than Madonna/Rolling Stones/U2?
    yeah by miles.

by » Tue June 11th, 2019, 05:59

yeah by miles.
    Some Abba songs maybe be bigger than some Madonna's but cmon as a whole people in Africa have no idea who Abba is
    Forever Young

by » Tue June 11th, 2019, 13:18

Quote Originally Posted by Loveguru View Post
    Some Abba songs maybe be bigger than some Madonna's but cmon as a whole people in Africa have no idea who Abba is
    ABBA are pretty much The Beatles of Dance-Pop music.