View Poll Results: Which Drag Race queen is my favourite of all-time?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bianca Del Rio

0 0%
  • Manila Luzon

0 0%
  • Sharon Needles

1 33.33%
  • Tyra Sanchez

0 0%
  • Yvie Oddly

2 66.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Akini's Top 100 Drag Race Queens: [#1 Revealed!]

Legend
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

by » Fri June 28th, 2019, 10:46

Trinity Taylor and Nina West are my favourites from this bunch.
    gimme, gimme, what I want, what I deserve, gimme, gimme | My last.fm

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Sun June 30th, 2019, 16:20

Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    I don't like Jasmine. At least not in RPDR format where she was horrible in everything.
    And now I have! I think she was okay in the RPDR format her original season. Her All-Stars performance was a mess, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Loose View Post
    Trinity Taylor and Nina West are my favourites from this bunch.
    Glad you like those two!
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, it’s not an option.

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Sun June 30th, 2019, 19:52

050. Raven

I'll admit that I'm not a fan of Raven's personality. For me, there's a fine line between malice and shade, and she's always been firmly on the malice side (how callous of her to write as her farewell message, "Keep your eyes on the stars...you will never be one" to S2 champ Tyra Sanchez). I also think she was a queen that rested on pretty sometimes, and I never like that. All that aside, and despite Raven's mediocre start to her S2 campaign (landing in the bottom two twice in the first three weeks), Raven put together some solid runway looks (loved her 'Here Comes the Bride' look), and performed decently overall in the main challenges. Ru clearly sees something in Raven to have selected her as her make-up assistant, but, for me, Raven is the most overrated RPDR star.
    Code:
    Charisma: 6.2/10
    Uniqueness: 8/10
    Nerve: 8/10
    Talent: 7.5/10

Overall: 7.62/10
    049. Ra'Jah O'Hara

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I really liked all of Ra'Jah's runway looks in S11. I thought they were creative, and I certainly feel like she deserved to progress further in the competition than she got. I loved her quick wit, and didn't mind her less appealing instigating moments much. She was a strong lip-sync performer, too. Ra'Jah is someone who 100% deserves to return to the show via All-Stars, so we can see more of her.
    Code:
    Charisma: 8/10
    Uniqueness: 7.2/10
    Talent: 8/10

Overall: 7.76/10
    048. Monét X Change

My West Indian sister, Monét X Change is a queen I want to like more than I actually do. I think she has a great personality, and performed well during both her S10 and AS4 runs, but I think she was overshadowed by bigger personalities (Monique Heart) and queens with more impressive, polished drag showcases (Asia O'Hara). I love her talk show, though. I'd certainly recommend following it.
    Code:
    Charisma: 8.5/10
    Uniqueness: 7.8/10

Overall: 7.79/10
    047. Milk

The Pinocchio nose. The male look in the suit. The Dumbledore-esque struggle wisp of a beard. There's no surprise that Milk's strongest metric is her nerve; she made some daring choices during her S6 run, and I always respect that in a queen. I wish I could erase her AS3 performance from her CV, though, as that certainly left a bitter taste in my mouth.
    Code:
    Nerve: 9/10
    Talent: 7/10

Overall: 7.8/10
    046. Courtney Act

Courtney's confidence verged on arrogance at times, and she could have been nicer to Joslyn Fox, but Courtney had some runway moments that really substantiated her diva attitude (the epic wings ensemble, the Australian pride gown, the Klaus Nomi outfit). I liked her a lot more outside of RPDR (like her run on Celebrity Big Brother Australia, for instance), but I think she has definitely had some iconic moments that will stand the test of time.
    Code:
    Uniqueness: 6.5/10
    Nerve: 8.5/10
    Talent: 8.5/10

Overall: 7.85/10
    045. Peppermint

The term lip-sync assassin is overused, but in a season such as S9 that had such heavyweight performers, for Peppermint to emerge as the lip-sync assassin of her season is a pretty big honour. Her "Music" and "Stronger" lip-syncs are legendary, just absolutely mind-blowing and epic. Her runway looks left something to be desired, and she wasn't as much of a stand-out in the main challenges as several of her competitors that year, but Peppermint is someone you just root for. I recently saw her on Pose, I've watched a lot of her YouTube interviews with other queens, and I get the sense that she's really a sweet person, so I wish nothing but the best for her.
    Code:
    Charisma: 8.2/10
    Uniqueness: 7.8/10

Overall: 7.96/10
    044. Alyssa Edwards

One of RPDR's meme queens, Alyssa Edwards is widely beloved for her skills as a dancer, but even moreso for her idiosyncrasies. She is so likeable a person and engaging a performer, you almost forget how crap a lot of her runway looks were. She clearly knows what she's doing as a drag mother, though. She has two drag daughters still to feature on the countdown.
    Code:
    Uniqueness: 9/10
    Nerve: 7.2/10

Overall: 7.99/10
    043. Max

A kooky queen, Max embodies a more alternative, less pageant-y style of drag that I find immensely appealing. She reminds me a lot of a more likeable, more left-of-centre Milk. Whilst watching S7, Max was my early pick to win, so you can imagine my disappointment (and surprise) when she won two main challenges, and still ended up finishing ninth.
    Code:
    Uniqueness: 8.5/10

Overall: 8/10
    042. Aquaria

The S10 champ and drag daughter of the S4 champ Sharon Needles, Aquaria reminded me a lot of Violet Chachki, only not as good (though still strong enough to be a worthy HoF addition). My favourite Aquaria runway look was her 'Hats Incredible' ensemble, and even as recently as the S11 finale, where, as reigning queen, she returned to hand over the crown, she managed to stun me with a drop dead gorgeous phoenix dress. Despite being the lowest-ranked of the 11 main season winners, I feel like Aquaria will grow and become an even more impressive drag star, and I'm excited to watch her evolution.
    Code:
    Uniqueness: 7.5/10

Overall: 8.05/10
    041. Bebe Zahara Bonet

The inaugural queen! From Cameroon (as Ru never failed to remind viewers), Bebe represented the regal, demure, pageant-leaning style of drag that I oftentimes find boring, but I love how she was able to spice up that aesthetic with some of her runway looks, and in her lip-sync performances. Despite not being the strongest from her season, I think she was a fine choice as champ, and for so many people who dismiss the talent of the early season queens, I'm glad the victor from the very first season was able to come back to an All-Stars season, and deliver a commendable run to prove that the older queens can mix with the newer ones now that the show has become more mainstream. Oh, and that brown catsuit with the black corset is one of my favourite RPDR runway looks!
    Code:
    Charisma: 7.5/10
    Nerve: 8.3/10

Overall: 8.06/10
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, it’s not an option.

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Sat July 6th, 2019, 14:19

040. Ivy Winters

The only queen in Drag Race history to ever do a runway strut on stilts, Ivy Winters is the lovable Miss Congeniality from season five. Beyond putting together daring runway looks, Ivy also proved to be a competent singer. I'd love to see her back on the show for All Stars.
    Code:
    Charisma: 8.4/10

Overall: 8.09/10
    039. Valentina

Quite possibly the most beautiful RPDR contestant both in and out of drag, the drop-dead gorgeous Valentina has the kind of personality that borders on delusion, but has this undeniable charm that compensates for that. I think she had a good run both on her original season nine (barring that legendary lip-sync fail), and on All Stars 4.
    Code:
    Charisma: 9.3/10

Overall: 8.13/10
    038. Aja

What a happy coincidence, this, Aja just one spot above Valentina. I like Aja for her edgy aesthetic. She had some interesting runway looks, was a good performer in the main challenges, and a decent lip-syncer.
    Code:

Overall: 8.15/10
    037. Roxxxy Andrews

The only Drag Race queen I've met thus far, Roxxxy Andrews is one of RPDR's sewing queens. Few can turn a runway look better than the pageant queen herself, and her lip-sync against Alyssa Edwards in season five is iconic for that wig reveal. She wasn't the sweetest queen during her S5 run, but she was easily one of the fiercest. Unfortunately, her return for All Stars 2 was a travesty, which is a shame considering she got off to such a roaring start. Still, she's one of my favourite pageant queens, and shockingly sweet in person!
    Code:
    Charisma: 7.2/10

Overall: 8.17/10
    036. Ginger Minj

One of the most likeable queens from her S7 cast, Ginger Minj knows how to slay an acting challenge and excel in a lip-sync. Much like the queen before her, though, her All Stars performance was abysmal.
    Code:
    Charisma: 9/10
    Uniqueness: 7.2/10
    Nerve: 8.4/10
    Talent: 8.6/10

Overall: 8.18/10
    035. Naomi Smalls

A high-fashion runway queen, Naomi Smalls has legs for days. She is probably the most model-esque queen in the show's history, and I admittedly didn't gravitate to her much during her S8 run, but her AS4 run was more impressive, and she grew on me then...despite her controversial decision to eliminate the rightful winner that season.
    Code:
    Uniqueness: 8.6/10
    Nerve: 7.8/10

Overall: 8.19/10
    034. Milan

Milan is a queen that doesn't get the love she deserves. She was the lip-sync assassin of S6, she had some incredibly creative and fun looks, and she did decently in the main challenges. I know she was part of one of the show's toughest seasons, but I still believe she ought to have advanced further.
    Code:
    Charisma: 8.7/10
    Uniqueness: 8.3/10
    Nerve: 8.2/10

Overall: 8.2/10
    033. Thorgy Thor

A cerebral queen, Thorgy Thor's great strength of thinking critically analysing each move she made ultimately proved to be her undoing during her S8 run, but not before she stunned audiences through her acting chops, runway looks, and strong lip-sync skills. She's a well-rounded queen, and her obsession with Bob the Drag Queen walks the fine line between endearing and unsettling.
    Code:
    Uniqueness: 8.2/10
    Nerve: 8.6/10

Overall: 8.23/10
    032. Ongina

With the scorecard she had right up to her elimination, Ongina was easily the favourite for the inaugural crown. A lip-sync against eventual winner Bebe led to her demise, but Ongina was so polished, with such a distinctive, elegant style that she's rightfully been a fan favourite for a decade now, with a rumoured return to All Stars 5 to prove to the new generation of fans just how talented she is. Unfortunately, she'll likely face a queen that'll be near-impossible to conquer.
    Code:

Overall: 8.25/10
    031. Katya Zamolodchikova

Residing at the intersection of glamour and comedy, per her own description, Katya is a hugely personable queen from S7. Her mini-anxiety attacks made her an incredibly relatable queen. I really enjoyed her verse on "Read U Wrote U" from AS2, and her AS2 run in general showed how much she'd elevated her drag from S7.
    Code:
    Charisma: 9.2/10
    Uniqueness: 9.5/10
    Nerve: 7/10

Overall: 8.37/10

Legend
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

by » Tue July 9th, 2019, 11:56

Oh so many great drag queens the last couple rounds! I agree that Thorgy Thor was an absolute highlight. She was a type and I guess not everyone appreciated her (in my opinion) sophisticated and clever humor.

Ginger Minj is one of my favourites - I was gutted when she hadn't won. So funny, she's truly a competition for Bianca del Rio.

Peppermint and Raven - LOVE LOVE LOVE

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Thu July 11th, 2019, 01:00

Oh so many great drag queens the last couple rounds! I agree that Thorgy Thor was an absolute highlight. She was a type and I guess not everyone appreciated her (in my opinion) sophisticated and clever humor.

Ginger Minj is one of my favourites - I was gutted when she hadn't won. So funny, she's truly a competition for Bianca del Rio.

Peppermint and Raven - LOVE LOVE LOVE
    Thorgy's a special, distinctive queen indeed! I wish she'd had a stronger AS3 run.

Ginger Minj was certainly the most likeable of S7's top 3, but, ultimately, I think the crown went to the right queen.

I also adore Peppermint! Not at all sold on Raven, though. Certain villains mellowed out over the years, but I don't get the sense that she's particularly a nice person, so that's a bit of a turn off.

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Thu July 11th, 2019, 02:11

030. Willam Belli

Willam has this chill attitude I'll always love. She oozes an effortless brand of coolness, and on top of that, her S4 confessionals were pure gold. I'll never forget the episode where Milan lip-synced against Madame LaQueer, and Willam commented, "Madame LaQueer wasn’t doing much, and I was like, 'Girl, Milan just danced circles around you, and swifered the floor with his taint.'" Willam turned a singular runway aesthetic (skimpy clothing made to her highlight her body - "stop relying on that body" [*said in the tone of Michelle Visage*]), had some great acting challenge performances, and was generally a strong performer before her untimely disqualification from the series. I think she easily could have been top three that year, and even though she's already expressed that she has no interest in returning for an All Stars, I'd love for her to change her mind, so we can all see just how much she's evolved since S4.
    Code:
    Charisma: 9.5/10
    Talent: 8.1/10

Overall: 8.38/10
    029. Latrice Royale

A much-beloved icon in the pantheon of Drag Race greats, the "large and in charge, chunky yet funky" Latrice Royale served looks (stronger than any 'big girl' in the show's history), enjoyed a legendary high moment in an acting challenge, and, an unlikely lip-sync assassin, Latrice has the lip-sync range to slay a deep, soul classic like Aretha Franklin's "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman", then move to a high-energy dance jam à la "Sissy That Walk" and turn that one out, too. She faltered sometimes in her design challenges, and neither of her All Star runs are anything to write home about, but Latrice's legacy is indelible. She has this genuinely warm and sweet energy about her, and that resonates with millions (myself included). I find it funny how in E7 of S4, Jiggly Caliente said it would be funny if Latrice was the first of the S4 group to get married after Latrice said she preferred gay marriage be called something other than marriage…then she actually did get married first. There's no end to life's oddness.
    Code:
    Charisma: 10/10
    Uniqueness: 9.3/10
    Nerve: 7.5/10

Overall: 8.49/10
    028. Gia Gunn

I did not like Gia Gunn during her S6 run despite her legendary workroom entrance with that insanely massive purse. I thought she was annoying and not particularly bright. Then All Stars 4 came 'round, and I kinda just fell in love with her whole character. She has much more talent than I'd ever given her credit for - a true lip-sync force - and she is simply drop dead hilarious, to the extent where I can listen to any of her interviews and be thoroughly entertained. Is she an instigator? ABSOLUTELY. But she's reality TV magic, and anything that has Gia Gunn on the tag is something that I'm interested in.
    Code:
    Uniqueness: 10/10
    Nerve: 7.5/10

Overall: 8.5/10
    027. Silky Nutmeg Ganache

One of the biggest personalities to ever grace Drag Race, Silky Nutmeg Ganache is absolutely hilarious, and was the comedy queen of S11. She had about one good runway the whole season (and even that outfit featured a borrowed wig from a fellow queen), but she slayed Snatch Game, and excelled in pretty much any challenge that called on her to tap into her wit and charm. It was disappointing to see how the fandom turned on her, as she may have had some annoying and delusional moments, but no moreso than a lot of other queens that are beloved, so perhaps there was something else at play there. At any rate, I adore Silky, and I need her back for an All Stars season. And seeing as there's always discussion about 'big girls', I suppose it's worth mentioning that Silky is the highest-ranking 'big girl' on the countdown (though I'm not entirely sure what the 'big girl' metrics are these days).
    Code:
    Nerve: 7.3/10
    Talent: 8.4/10

Overall: 8.52/10
    026. Shannel

The highest-ranking S1 queen, which makes that season the first season to have all its queens crash out, Shannel oozes sex appeal like nobody's business. I loved her over-the-top, Vegas showgirl looks. I loved that she took risks. I loved her confidence. It's still bizarre to me that she didn't advance further in S1, and I'm totally on her side with the case of Shannel v. Every S1 Judge. She never got an iota of the praise she deserved from the judges, and I can imagine how frustrating that must've been to her, especially seeing other girls, less talented than she is, be lauded. I wish she'd won AS1; I think she'd have been a worthier addition to the Hall of Fame than Chad Michaels.
    Code:
    Charisma: 8.3/10
    Talent: 8.4/10

Overall: 8.54/10
    025. The Vixen

I love a politically conscious queen, and that's exactly how the Vixen sold herself, and right from her workroom entrance, too! She had some interesting runway looks, and a passion that really made her stand out from the crowd. It's weird that anyone bought the 'villain edit' for her because there's nothing about her that is remotely villain-esque. She's just a queen that addresses elephants in a room that others would prefer to pretend don't exist.
    Code:
    Charisma: 9.1/10

Overall: 8.55/10
    024. Violet Chachki

The highest-ranking S7 queen, which makes S7 the second season to have its top representative fall, Violet Chachki is a legendary fashion and runway queen. I have to admit that I did find the fandom's obsession with that clear strength of her drag to be slightly unwarranted, as there are probably more than a full hand's worth of queens that I believe beat Violet in that department, and when you pair that with the fact that Violet really just wasn't that likeable in S7, I can say it's been a journey coming to appreciate Violet. Anyway, having slightly diluted the hysteria surrounding her runway looks, even I have to admit that the girl can serve a LEWK. There are quite a few stunners to highlight: her multi-look fall presentation in the S7 premiere, her SNATCHEDT corset look for 'Death Becomes Her', her killer 'Half Man, Half Woman' look, her exquisite 'Kitty Couture' look, her S7 finale look, and what is probably the greatest thing I've ever actually seen with my eyes, her absolutely unbelievable S8 finale look, when she looked ready and fully adorned to reign as queen for at least one more decade. Even if I never connected with her personality, Violet has undeniable talent. She's a competent dancer, can be a decent actor if given the right role, and is one of the show's top fashion legends. She's so good that I kinda blame her for not liking Aquaria more, who sometimes felt like a poor man's Violet during her S10 run.
    Code:
    Charisma: 7.2/10
    Talent: 9.1/10

Overall: 8.56/10
    023. A'Keria C. Davenport

Many people pegged A'Keria as a dark horse during her S11 tenure, but she presented herself fairly early on as a frontrunner. She's a killer actress, a great lip-sync performer, an absolutely talented design queen having sewn all of her high-tier runway looks, and she gave the best and most hilarious S11 confessionals. A'Keria is a complete queen, without any major horcrux in her drag. She's a proud, verstatile pageant queen, and though pageant queens are hit or miss with me, A'Keria early on proved that she was a major hit.
    Code:
    Talent: 9/10

Overall: 8.6/10
    022. Tatianna

One of my top S2 queens, I was elated to see Tatianna return and showcase her evolution during her AS2 run. Rulaskatox basically steamrolled everyone not in that infamous trio that season, but Tatianna's sharp wit, absolutely epic lip-sync performances (including the third-best lip-sync performance ever with her "Shut Up and Drive" duel against Alyssa Edwards), strong talent showcases, and just general charisma won her many new fans that season.
    Code:

Overall: 8.65/10
    021. Acid Betty

I love avant-garde queens, and Acid Betty had such a unique aesthetic that I was instantly drawn to her. There wasn't a runway look of hers that I didn't love, and I was absolutely devastated that she was eliminated so early. She deserved to go all the way to top three that year.
    Code:
    Charisma: 8.6/10

Overall: 8.66/10

Legend
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

by » Thu July 11th, 2019, 09:17

Mixed bunch there. I am so so happy to see Tatianna ranked that high.
    In terms of looks, she‘s probably one of my favourites. Watch out when her temper flares up, however her intellect makes up for it most of the time. Great to see A‘keria and Latrice as well.

Now for my particular non-favourites: Absolutely disliked William Belli and The Vixen and always will.

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Mon July 15th, 2019, 06:34

Mixed bunch there. I am so so happy to see Tatianna ranked that high.
    In terms of looks, she‘s probably one of my favourites. Watch out when her temper flares up, however her intellect makes up for it most of the time. Great to see A‘keria and Latrice as well.

Now for my particular non-favourites: Absolutely disliked William Belli and The Vixen and always will.
    Glad you like those three!

Any reason for the strong dislike for Willam and the Vixen?

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Mon July 15th, 2019, 06:51

020. Monique Heart

The heart of S10 and AS4, Monique can't-do-a-backflip-to-save-her-life Heart was easily the most charismatic star of her original season. I loved her colourful storytelling and dramatic confessionals, and I respected that she made her own outfits. As she put it, "I came to this competition with glitter and Jesus, and, bitch, I'm making it work, okay!" She had the talent to excel in acting challenges even during her S10 run, but I was really impressed by how much she grew in such a short time between her S10 and AS4 showcases. Her runway looks were better, and even her lip-sync performances were stronger. However two queens were crowned that season and Monique wasn't one of them is beyond me.
    Code:

Overall: 8.75/10
    019. Asia O'Hara

The top S10 queen, pageant queen Asia O'Hara had class, poise, creativity, and a likeability that drew me to her pretty early on. I still think her Tweety Bird look is one of the greatest looks in Drag Race history, but beyond that classic showcase, I love that she kept true to her pageant style of drag, whilst still keeping her runway looks fresh. Her Evil Twin and Hats Incredible looks were both absolutely gorgeous without being safe, which is what I consider most pageant drag to be. There was a rough patch in the middle of S10 where Asia had a series of sub-par performances, but when Asia was on it, she was a clear standout from the pack that year. The stage was set beautifully, in my opinion, for her to take the crown, but then butterflies happened. I'd love to see her return for an All Stars and earn a crown, though. She has everything necessary to take a place in the Drag Race Hall of Fame.
    Code:
    Uniqueness: 8.2/10
    Nerve: 9.1/10
    Talent: 9.1/10

Overall: 8.82/10
    018. Raja

A lot of queens these days are tossed the title of fashion queen, but I think Raja is really one of the trailblazers in that department. I'd always thought her looks were strong even whilst watching S3 the first time, but on the re-watch, after having seen all the other seasons, I realised just how epic so many of her looks were. Favourite Drag, Patriotic Drag, Fantasy Hair Extravaganza and especially Extravagant Drag were hugely iconic moments in the show's history. Her personality is still a bit drab, in my opinion, but she's probably one of the top three fashionistas in the show's decade-plus run, was a strong performer in the main challenges throughout her S3 tenure, and has really produced a body of work that has stood the test of time. I didn't particularly like her mean girl vibes, but this 'Heather' is an undeniable Drag Race superstar.
    Code:
    Charisma: 7/10
    Talent: 9.4/10

Overall: 9.06/10
    017. Manila Luzon

The first of the five poll options to fall, and the top S3 queen (and the highest-ranking Heather), I'm sure Manila Luzon would be happy that she at least bested Raja in this countdown, if only due to the charisma metric. Juxtaposed with Raja's edgier drag, Manila had a more flowery, pageant-leaning style that I appreciated because she would always inject a unique flair in all her looks. Her pineapple dress for Extravagant Drag week during S3, for instance, is legendary, and her Elegance After Dark look in AS4 could make your heart stop. I thought she was the best queen to feature in AS1, but I could understand her not winning that season. AS4, on the other hand, saw Manila very much Alaska-ing/BenDeLaCreme-ing the competition, so on the one week where she let her guard down, for her to be eliminated after slaying so consistently beforehand, was disappointing to watch. It's a reality show, though, first and foremost, even before it's a competition, and I think Manila has suffered more than most from the 'reality show' part of it. An interesting Manila note is that she's one of only two Drag Race queens to actually record music that I honestly think is good.
    Code:

Overall: 9.16/10
    016. Nina Bo'nina Brown

Nina, Bo'nina, Banana, Fofana, Osama, Bin Laden Brown! Nina paints like nobody's business, and she delivered looks that no one else in the show's history has ever come close to matching. I think her entrance, Hometown, and Big Hair looks were all exceptional, and even though she had some difficulties in some of the acting challenges on the show, she has a naturally hilarious sense of humour. She's also a fierce lip-sync performer. I think the show needs her back for a future All Stars season. She has this uniqueness factor that is just off the charts, and if she were to fully commit for a full season and overcome her inner saboteur, she would slay.
    Code:
    Nerve: 10/10

Overall: 9.2/10

Legend
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 19:11

I like EVERY single queen out of the bunch! Well, Manila definitely belongs into the Top 10 in my opinion and is fairly low in ranking to what I was expecting. Asia, Raja, Nina - love them all.

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Wed July 17th, 2019, 18:44

I like EVERY single queen out of the bunch! Well, Manila definitely belongs into the Top 10 in my opinion and is fairly low in ranking to what I was expecting. Asia, Raja, Nina - love them all.
    Glad you like them all! At this level, it got really difficult ranking them because I really do adore them all.

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Wed July 17th, 2019, 23:32

015. Kim Chi

Easily the most likeable of her S8 cast, with a charming and shy sweetness that belied her ability to throw impeccable shade, Kim Chi is also one of the show's supreme design queens. Her runway looks were meticulously crafted, with painstaking attention paid to detail, and always concept-consistent. I think her trio of looks for Baby Drag/That's My Mama/Autobiographical Eleganza is probably the easy pick as her best week, but I think her entrance look was pretty special, as was her Black and White Realness look. Alas, Kim Chi couldn't dance to save her life, and had mixed fortunes in acting challenges, but she was a clear frontrunner during her S8 run, and she gave a fun "Fat, Fem, & Asian" lip-sync at the S8 live finale. Interestingly enough, I'm not sure she's one of the queens that I feel the need to see return to an All Stars. She felt fully evolved during her original run.
    Code:
    Nerve: 7.1/10
    Talent: 9.5/10

Overall: 9.22/10
    014. Adore Delano

Adore Delano is the unpolished, young, firestarter of a drag queen from S6. She grew so much during her tenure on the show. She's one of the rare queens that actually listened to the judges' critiques, and applied the criticisms to her drag to improve her presentation, and it worked! Her runway looks were fairly hit or miss, though always edgy and fun (party), but I really loved the weeks where she was able to put her vocal talent on display, and she was a much better rapper than I ever envisioned her being. Sadly, her AS2 run was cut short...by Adore herself no less, but her S6 run warranted her place in that year's top three.
    Code:

Overall: 9.3/10
    013. Bob the Drag Queen

Bob the Drag Queen owned S8 from the moment she strutted into the workroom, purse first, and immediately let fans know the kind of queen she was with that 'UNT' dress. She has this natural star quality that just shines almost blindingly bright, and she slayed every challenge that called on her to showcase her comedy or acting skills. She's a natural performer in that sense, and a capable lip-sync star, too. I think Bob's sole weakness is fashion; she just doesn't have a great sense of style. That makes me love her no less, though. I think Bob is among the top 5 of drag queens that I would love to meet. She's the top-ranking S8 queen on the countdown.
    Code:

Overall: 9.41/10
    012. Jinkx Monsoon

S5's kooky sweetheart champ, Jinkx Monsoon is one of the most beloved queens in Drag Race history, and for good reason, too. She rarely had a weak showing during her S5 run, slaying acting and comedy challenges, turning unique looks on the runway, and even lip-syncing the house down when put in the position to do so. There are very few chinks in Jinkx's armour, and she has a golden personality.
    Code:

Overall: 9.45/10
    011. Detox

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/43p9XFwk/detox-i****.jpg[/IMG]

Now if a singular crown had to be given for queen of the runway, perhaps the strongest candidate for that honour is Detox. The queen turned LEWKS, and really raised the standard for the outfits queens brought to the show. Obviously, the most mind-boggling thing she did was her S5 finale monochrome look - colour me gooped, gagged, and gobsmacked by that one - but her Favourite Body Part look was pure sex, and her Future of Drag look was a moment. She didn't always slay the challenges, particularly the acting ones, but Detox delivered in pretty much every other category, and I think her drag got even better between S5 and AS2.
    Code:
    Charisma: 9.2/10
    Talent: 9.3/10

Overall: 9.49/10

Superstar
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Legend
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 18:37

Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    Jinkx is not #1? Fail.
    Twelfth is still pretty high!

KimChi & Adore Delano! Paaaaarty!
    Glad you adore those two!

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 19:51

010. Sasha Velour

The queen of roses, Sasha Velour's name is etched in Drag Race history for that absolutely immaculate lip-sync to "So Emotional" during the S9 finale. Beyond that legendary moment, though, Sasha had a strong storyline during S9. Her intelligence and unique sense of humour made her stand out from the pack, and despite not being the frontrunner that season, she performed well in pretty much every single challenge, showcasing a broad array of strengths. I always liked her runway looks, but I think the only time she ever gagged me, looks-wise, was her appearance at the S10 finale to hand over the crown.
    Code:
    Nerve: 9.5/10

Overall: 9.55/10
    009. Alaska Thunderf**k

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/vHGXk5YZ/alaska-thunder****.jpg[/img]

One of RPDR's great legends, I'll never forget not quite rating Alaska during her first few weeks on S5. With her connection to Sharon Needles, I paid special attention to her, and I just felt like she wasn't in the same league as her then-boyfriend. She got better midway, though, to the point where she started to emerge as one of the main contenders. I felt like she deserved her runner-up spot on S5, but wow, did she step her p***y up for AS2! The way she ate every challenge (bar one) that season was truly spectacular to behold. It seemed that in a few years, she'd blossomed from good drag queen to an absolute stunner. Now, she's such a key part of the Hall of Fame, in my opinion. Charismatic, intelligent, genuinely passionate about her personal craft and drag culture in general - I didn't like her initially, but I truly grew to adore her. Deservedly, Alaska is the top S5 queen, the top All Stars winner, and the highest-ranking RoLaskaTox member.
    Code:

Overall: 9.56/10
    008. Shea Couleé

The Beyoncé of drag, Shea Couleé slayed the competition during S9, so much so that quite a few people were disappointed that the new lip-sync for the crown format had robbed her of what many viewed as her inevitable crowning. Shea is the most talented Drag Race star of all-time, in my opinion. There really aren't any chinks in her armour. She's a strong dancer, a hilarious comedian, a highly competent actress, and turned some fantastic runway looks. She was a fierce competitor, with nary a truly weak week in her CV, and barring some severe 'Rigga Morris', I fully expect her to snatch the AS5 crown. I suspect her being such a 'complete' queen from the get-go was probably the only minor problem I had with her; there really wasn't much room for her to grow. At any rate, she's my top S9 queen, and I have to give her credit for being one of the few RPDR queens that actually records good music (alongside Manila Luzon). I think "Cocky" is probably the best song from any of the RPDR queens.
    Code:
    Charisma: 9.7/10
    Uniqueness: 9.2/10
    Nerve: 9.2/10
    Talent: 10/10

Overall: 9.57/10
    007. Shangela Laquifa Wadley

A '10' on the charisma scale doesn't even feel enough to adequately reflect Shangela's star quality; she is reality TV gold! Some people refer to her as the ugly duckling of drag. From her brief one-episode S2 run, to her more-impressive-but-still-not-quite-completely-there S3 tenure, to her AS3 performance, which was strong enough to have warranted a place in the final. Shangela's shown more growth than anyone in the show's history, and her success has been inspiring to behold. She's so intelligent, perhaps the second funniest queen in RPDR history, got her runway looks up to a respectable (and at-times, awe-inspiring) level - she just seems to have been able to check all major boxes. Shangela's the quintessential example of how it doesn't always take a crown and title to emerge as a winner from this show.
    Code:
    Talent: 9.2/10

Overall: 9.68/10
    006. Brooke Lynn Hytes

The queen of the North, the classically trained ballet dancer of S11, Brooke Lynn Hytes had one of the strongest runs in Drag Race history, to the point where I'd deem her the second most talented Drag Race contestant ever. She excelled in every challenge, and the one time when she flopped in a main challenge, she delivered the most sickening runway display and was part of the greatest lip-sync duel in RPDR history. Everything about Brooke Lynn's run was sustained excellence. She was poised but funny, demure but showed nerve, and sophisticated but had an edge to her looks when the moment called for it. Her body of work was that of a champion. I've seen detractors criticise her for not bringing anything particularly new to the show with her brand of drag, but I felt like Brooke Lynn brought what she did bring at a higher level than we'd ever seen it before. She's like the very best parts of Detox and Sahara Davenport merged into one fabulous, pageant/dancer queen warrior.
    Code:
    Charisma: 9.4/10
    Nerve: 9.5/10

Overall: 9.69/10

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Mon July 22nd, 2019, 04:40

Since we're in top 5 territory now, I think I'll try to do one a day.

005. Bianca Del Rio

The second of the poll options to fall, S6 champ Bianca Del Rio has built for herself the most successful Drag Race career of any RPDR queen. She has a lightning-quick wit, grade A seamstress skills, a cutting and controversial sense of humour, and ruled her season from the moment she walked into the workroom. Her charisma is off the charts; she's top of the pack in that metric among the queens in this countdown, and she's easily one of the funniest entertainers in showbiz. She may have had a singular silhouette on the runway for her S6 run, and if she had to lip-sync for the crown, she wouldn't have one today, but Bianca literally excels in everything else, delivering one of the most iconic Snatch Game performances in the show's history, and having one of the strongest scorecards in Drag Race history. I'd love to meet her in person one day.
    Code:

Overall: 9.7/10

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Tue July 23rd, 2019, 18:17

004. Tyra Sanchez

The top S2 queen, my much-beloved Tyra Sanchez finishes in fourth place, just off the rostrum. Watching S2, I was enamoured with Tyra for her strong sense of style, her ingenious creativity, her design skills, and her ability and energy as a lip-sync performer. For me, she was the clear winner of that season, so I was more than a little disappointed that the fandom felt the need to attempt to invalidate a win that is as clearly statistically sound (and C.U.N.T.-worthy) as Tyra's. A runway queen, Tyra did a brilliant three-in-one look half a decade before anyone would be familiar with the name Violet Chachki, she hot-glued rhinestones to her skin and delivered an iconic wedding dress runway moment, and in her final runway presentation, she served every iota of Diana Ross realness with her Theme from Mahogany look. Tyra did drag on a budget better than any queen in RPDR history, and I love that she flourished during a season when RPDR was a competition more in line with assessing the full skill set of a queen. Ironically, Tyra's weakest metric is the metric Jujubee took a stab at her for - charisma. She's a more reserved, shy kind of queen, but put her on a runway or dancefloor, and you see how her star power just explodes. Tyra Sanchez is a queen I would love to see return to All Stars and scalp some major wigs; the new generation of fans needs to learn just how sickeningly 'UNT' she is.
    Code:
    Charisma: 8.7/10
    Nerve: 9.7/10
    Talent: 9.8/10

Overall: 9.73/10

Legend
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

by » Wed July 24th, 2019, 15:41

Bianca and Shangela are my favourites of course! They even appear in the same movies.

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Sun July 28th, 2019, 01:26

Bianca and Shangela are my favourites of course! They even appear in the same movies.
    Yes, Bianca's awful Netflix movies.

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Sun July 28th, 2019, 01:44

003. BenDeLaCreme

The terminally delightful AS3 champ that never was, BenDeLaCreme was a strong performer throughout her initial S6 run, but Bianca's star shone so bright that it pretty much distracted me from everyone else that season. Fast forward to AS3, and BenDeLaCreme delivers what is, by my estimation, the greatest series of performances in any RPDR season, original or All Stars, with an RPDR CV that has her with the most challenge wins in the series' history. I'd always known Ben's acting chops were...the crème de la crème - who could forget her iconic Dame Maggie Smith portrayal in S6, a Snatch Game performance so incredible that she even bested Bianca's almost-as-legendary Judge Judy impersonation - but Ben really showed her mettle as a performer during AS3. I never thought much of her as a lip-sync assassin; for me, it was one of the few chinks in her armour, and for AS3, she arrived with that particular plate fully formed and ready for battle. I love Ben's camp runway looks, her sweet and amicable spirit, her positive spirit, her advocacy and commitment to both talking the talking and walking the walk, and her nerve to leave AS3 on her own terms. Ben is one queen that didn't need a crown to be a part of RPDR's Hall of Fame; her greatness made her a default inductee.
    Code:
    Nerve: 9.3/10

Overall: 9.86/10

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Sun August 4th, 2019, 20:03

002. Sharon Needles

The deeply intelligent, scathingly hilarious, consistently daring champion queen of S4, Sharon Needles's win signalled that the show was open to a more left-of-centre queen than the beauty/fashion/runway queens that preceded Queen Needles. (I contend that Sharon's performance on the show paved the way for the likes of Jinkx, Sasha, and Yvie to be as warmly embraced by the Drag Race fandom as they were). Sharon had some pretty incredible runway looks, particularly her Apocalyptic Couture, Dress to Impress, and Canine Couture showcases. She also had a fantastic Snatch Game portraying Michelle Visage, and a strong showing in the political debate episode. Interestingly enough, Sharon is perhaps the queen of a great, enormously successful dynasty on RPDR, with her ex, Alaska, winning AS2, and her drag daughter, Aquaria, winning S10. She's made some reprehensible post-show moves, à la another fave of my mine (Tyra Sanchez), but I love listening to Sharon in interviews, particularly her Vampire in High Fashion discussion on risk. I find Sharon articulate, sage, funny, and inspiring.
    Code:
    Talent: 9.7/10

Overall: 9.88/10

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Thu August 8th, 2019, 04:54

001. Yvie Oddly

Intelligent. Daring. Creative. Unfiltered and unpredictable. The supreme lip-sync assassin. Owner of the greatest laugh ever. Reigning champ Yvie Oddly is so many things, and can be described in a multiplicity of ways. There's real depth to her character. She wasn't my initial favourite during her S11 run; I was more immediately drawn to the controlled polish of Brooke Lynn Hytes, but slowly and stubbornly Yvie moved towards my top queen honour, and she really got there by having a unique take on all of the challenges. Ross quite correctly stated that Yvie took every theme and channeled it through her special Yvie filter, and delivered a showcase that literally no one else within the drag world could replicate. Though she's obviously in the Sharon Needles/Jinkx Monsoon/Sasha Velour camp of avant-garde queens, she is distinct and separate from each of her predecessors. Yvie's also an underrated runway queen, with her Zodiac, Fringe, Orange Alert, Trampy Trick or Treater, and Farm to Runway looks being among my all-time favourites. Her greatest moment, however, came way of her absolutely mind-blowing lip-sync against dance queen Brooke Lynn Hytes. I remember watching it at a viewing party, and thinking that my girl was a goner, but Yvie unleashed every trick in her arsenal (clever hair-spraying to draw attention to a legendary side-flip wig reveal, contortionist moves that blended well with her campy interpretation of a mainstream, top 40 pop song), and in the end, even did some stuff off the cuff to prove that anything her (most worthy) opponent could do, she could do better. There are about two or three more challenge wins that I felt should've gone Yvie's way, but I was so pleasantly surprised to see someone who makes drag fun resonate with the fandom the way Yvie did. Selfishly, I was happy that someone to whom I felt so directly connected was so warmly received by a fandom that has a history of not quite loving queens that are left of centre. So, yeah, Yvie's the current champ and my all-time drag champ. May her reign be long, may it be epic, and may it encourage all of us to embrace and celebrate our own, unique oddities, because really they're the elements that speak most to the core of our being.
    Code:
    Talent: 9.8/10

Overall: 9.92/10

Superstar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)

by » Thu August 8th, 2019, 19:42

Wow! I picked Yvie because of my local bias - though I do know how much you like her!

Feeling some hometown pride - haha.

Your write-up makes me want to watch her season for sure.