• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • innocenteyes
    Legend
    • 08 May 2006

DJ Khaled throws tantrum after #2 debut

DJ Khaled throws tantrum after his new album debuts at No. 2

Coming in at No. 2 just won’t do when you’re DJ Khaled.

Multiple music sources told Page Six the rapper and producer was fuming at his label after his new album, Father of Asahd, failed to debut at the top of the charts in the US.

“He stormed into Epic (records) with an entourage,” a source said. “And when projections showed his new record looked likely to come in second, he was angry and yelling. He threw a temper tantrum.”

Khaled blamed the album placing on his label chiefs not understanding streaming services and bundle deals.

A second source, who also described how the disappointed DJ did not hold back his displeasure, added, “No. 2 won’t do for Khaled. He was not happy when the album didn’t debut at No. 1 … Not happy at all.”

An industry insider added: “He was furious. There was some nasty stuff said. Publicly, he’s all about positivity, but there is a mean side to him that people don’t see … He overhyped the record and blew it up as his biggest album ever.”

Turns out it wasn’t.

Father of Asahd debuted behind LA rapper Tyler, the Creator’s fifth studio album, Igor — despite an aggressive PR push by Khaled’s team that included a Saturday Night Live appearance and a Pepsi #Summergram kick-off event in New York.

The album features guests Cardi B, Meek Mill and SZA.

Another insider said Khaled went off when an estimated 100,000 downloads of his album that were sold through a bundle deal with an energy drink weren’t included in his sales by Billboard.

The source said, “Khaled was upset that his label wasn’t fighting for him and fighting for those numbers to count, which could have propelled him to No. 1. They don’t get it.”

Meanwhile, Sony, which owns Epic and also reps Tyler, “is happy regardless. Their artists were No. 1 and No. 2.”

A source close to Khaled insisted he’s staying sanguine.

“His album is almost gold, and it’s not even a month old,” they said.

Khaled is sticking to his positive mantra on social media, writing, “Still celebrating the album that was the most streamed and digital sales … to the world.”

His rep didn’t comment.

Remind me of last year when Nicki Minaj was mad at debuting at #2 . Perhaps both should date.
    Last edited by innocenteyes; Thu June 6, 2019, 12:16.
  • Tansike
    Site Supporter
    • 28 Jan 2012

So basically he just wanted to be #1 with everything what would have been possible even if it were for gimmicks like 'bundles with energy drinks'? Seriously?

I never cared for him or his music and this is yet another reason why I won't change that in the future.

Comment

• GetBack
      Legend
      • 11 Jun 2010

This is what's annoying with R&B and hip-hop, it's always about #1, sales and streaming numbers, validation from charts and awards, etc. We'll definitely see future meltdowns from Cardi B and Drake in a few years once people move on from them.

Comment

• MrLeonix
        Legend
        • 13 Jan 2013

Such a grown up man caring about such stupid things, being #1 is super cool but if it doesn't happen you shouldn't be dying in anger unless you're some superficial narcissist.

... And #2 is already too generous for him BTW, he should be thankful for even being #2 because he deserves being #201 with that cr*p music he does.
        Last edited by MrLeonix; Thu June 6, 2019, 11:39.
        Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
        Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• DnBLover
          Legend
          • 21 Dec 2009

Honestly this guy is one of the most annoying people is showbusiness. He's a talentless jackass, who got famous somehow he probably isn't even sure about.

But now that I found out it was Tyler who blocked him, I'm even happier.
          I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
          I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• bm08
            • 07 Apr 2013

I agree that his label should've fought for his bundles to be counted. If the rules exist such that they could be then they should've done what was necessary.

That being said, his meltdown was unwarranted. It is good that it happened in private vs. in public via global radio.
            See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• innocenteyes
              Legend
              • 08 May 2006

Originally posted by bm08
              I agree that his label should've fought for his bundles to be counted. If the rules exist such that they could be then they should've done what was necessary.
              The artist who beat him, Tyler The Creator is on the same label though.

I agree with Mr Leonix. It's rather pathetic to see him being so upset about missing the Top spot.

Comment

• Loveguru
                Legend
                • 26 Mar 2009

Originally posted by DnBLover
                Honestly this guy is one of the most annoying people is showbusiness. He's a talentless jackass, who got famous somehow he probably isn't even sure about.

But now that I found out it was Tyler who blocked him, I'm even happier.
                If someone can tell me what he actually does when all he does is use samples...
                Forever Young

Comment

• DnBLover
                  Legend
                  • 21 Dec 2009

Originally posted by Loveguru
                  If someone can tell me what he actually does when all he does is use samples...
                  I don't think he is even the one sampling anything. He has other people produce for him, there was some news regarding that some time ago. He is just a hype man

Comment

• Loveguru
                    Legend
                    • 26 Mar 2009

Shame
                    Forever Young

Comment

• bm08
                      • 07 Apr 2013

Originally posted by innocenteyes
                      The artist who beat him, Tyler The Creator is on the same label though.

I agree with Mr Leonix. It's rather pathetic to see him being so upset about missing the Top spot.
                      Same label but different division?? (Epic vs. Columbia) both under Sony. I mean, he may have a point if Epic/Sony didn't do all that they would've if the competition was from an entirely different umbrella label.
                      See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• aRat
                        Legend
                        • 06 Feb 2018

Gosh he is such a waste of space
                        DUA LIPA - RIHANNA
                        98 - OUT

Comment

• Rihab
                          Superstar
                          • 18 Oct 2010

Who ended up at #1?

Doesn't matter, talent won.
                          l'amore vero è pace, non tormento

Comment

• spiritboy
                            Legend
                            • 11 Jan 2004

He robbed Imagine Dragons of #1 spot last time so karma is doing its job i see.
                            Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• theMathematician
                              Legend
                              • 31 May 2018

Imagine Dragons' 'Night Vision' debuted at No. 2 behind Matchbox Twenty's 'North'. That pretty much shows that peak positions don't say anything about an album's success or cultural impact. Or would you say that Barbra Streisand's 'Higher Ground' was bigger than Shania Twain's 'Come On Over'?
                              Last edited by theMathematician; Sat June 8, 2019, 13:18.

Comment

• DnBLover
                                Legend
                                • 21 Dec 2009

Originally posted by Rihab
                                Who ended up at #1?

Doesn't matter, talent won.
                                Tyler the Creator and Billie Eilish

Comment

• aRat
                                  Legend
                                  • 06 Feb 2018

Originally posted by DnBLover
                                  Tyler the Creator and Billie Eilish
                                  So talent did indeed win, but then again even the massive turd I took today is more talented than DJ KhaLARD.
                                  DUA LIPA - RIHANNA
                                  98 - OUT

Comment

• spiritboy
                                    Legend
                                    • 11 Jan 2004

Originally posted by theMathematician
                                    Imagine Dragons' 'Night Vision' debuted at No. 2 behind Matchbox Twenty's 'North'. That pretty much shows that peak positions don't say anything about an album's success or cultural impact. Or would you say that Barbra Streisand's 'Higher Ground' was bigger than Shania Twain's 'Come On Over'?
                                    I was talking about Evolve or Origins. And yes, peak positions matter to some people.
                                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• theMathematician
                                      Legend
                                      • 31 May 2018

^^ I wasn't referring to your post, [MENTION=948]spiritboy[/MENTION], but was speaking, in general, of a 'recent' case of an album debuting at No. 2 but ending up outselling and outcharting the No. 1 album by far - and 'Night Vision' was a very prominent example for that.

Why do you think peak positions matter much for some people? I'm sure random people on the street would struggle to find the No. 1 album out of the following 5: Cake's 'Showroom of Compassion', Lady Gaga's 'The Fame', Mumford & Sons' 'Sigh No More', Imagine Dragons' 'Night Vision', Lana Del Rey's 'Born To Die'.

Comment

• Rihab
                                        Superstar
                                        • 18 Oct 2010

Originally posted by theMathematician
                                        I was waiting for this.
                                        l'amore vero è pace, non tormento

Comment

Working...