Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: DJ Khaled throws tantrum after #2 debut

Manager
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 12th, 2019, 15:17

But they usually sing as well then, or do they put albums out but just wrote a couple of lines and have no input in anything else besides saying "Another One"?Thing is his creative input is supposed to be the production but he doesn't even do that. It's not like he just lets some others produce some of the songs with him, like a featuring. He is just not an artist, he just wants to be famous and pays other's to help him achieve that.

Legend
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 12th, 2019, 15:51

He’s nothing more than a glorified talent scout
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy View Post
    This is her most overrated song ever. And one of my least favorite [Kween] songs.
    Two Noodz Later:
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy View Post
    You made me appreciate and love the GOAT

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 12th, 2019, 16:21

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBoy View Post
    But they usually sing as well then, or do they put albums out but just wrote a couple of lines and have no input in anything else besides saying "Another One"?Thing is his creative input is supposed to be the production but he doesn't even do that. It's not like he just lets some others produce some of the songs with him, like a featuring. He is just not an artist, he just wants to be famous and pays other's to help him achieve that.
    Producers tag lines are annoying but I dont see it as being thattt big a deal. Mustard/Murda Beatz also have their "murda on the beat" tag or Jermaine's "You know what this is"

How do we know how much he is involved in his work? I may have missed this.

Even being a talent scout takes...talent?? Getting these artists to come together takes at least some A&R knowledge which should be celebrated beyond just labelling him a hype man.

Manager
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 12th, 2019, 17:43

Quote Originally Posted by bm08 View Post
    Even being a talent scout takes...talent?? Getting these artists to come together takes at least some A&R knowledge which should be celebrated beyond just labelling him a hype man.
    A&Rs don't chart though. Artists chart. Since there is no chart for "most successful A&R" and he still charts, then yes, he can rightfully be labeled a "hype man", because from an artistical viewpoint that is indeed all he does on his records.

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 12th, 2019, 17:46

DJ Khaled's biggest hit "All I Do Is Win" doesn't even have his name on the credits
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 12th, 2019, 17:49

Producers tag lines are annoying but I dont see it as being thattt big a deal. Mustard/Murda Beatz also have their "murda on the beat" tag or Jermaine's "You know what this is"

How do we know how much he is involved in his work? I may have missed this.

Multiple witness accounts of people who have worked with him, and the credits of most of his albums where he isn't credited as writer or producer on almost every song except few. On some he is added as "additional producer", and you can guess what bit he adds to the song.

Legend
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 12th, 2019, 18:00

Quote Originally Posted by DnBLover View Post
    What? DJ Mustard makes beats. DJ Khaled essentially only executive produces. He gets people together and pays them to make music, slaps his name on it and sells.

It's fair but he is not an artist.
    I mean, his 2-year old son Asahd is CREDITED as the executive producer of this album. I'm pretty sure that explains everything. Them royalties must be nice though.

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 12th, 2019, 18:13

I know it sounds like all I'm doing is defending him, but honestly, some of the criticism is just excessive and unnecessary, IMO.

I still think that if he feels wronged by what Billboard did, then using the systems in place, including legally, should be used. If there is nothing there then that will be proven??

The issues with Billboard have been growing over the years and it is about time someone takes them to task for it. There needs to be better accountability.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLinda View Post
    A&Rs don't chart though. Artists chart. Since there is no chart for "most successful A&R" and he still charts, then yes, he can rightfully be labeled a "hype man", because from an artistical viewpoint that is indeed all he does on his records.
    I used being an A&R as an example. I don't think of him as an A&R though he must certainly have some of the skills and knowledge of an A&R to bring together some of the artists he has on these records.

And artists aren't the only ones charting these days, songwriters and producers are also charting on Billboard now. In fact, songwriters and producers used to be a part of an annual list for Billboard.

Other producers, like Khaled, have also produced entire albums with other featured artists and have charted as well.

Multiple witness accounts of people who have worked with him, and the credits of most of his albums where he isn't credited as writer or producer on almost every song except few. On some he is added as "additional producer", and you can guess what bit he adds to the song.
    I genuinely don't know about what you're referring to so this is news to me. But even despite this, there are artists credited as songwriters and producers who do exactly what you're describing. There are also some artists who don't sing their own songs.

IMO, Khaled does enough to clearly still be respected by many for them to hop on an album with him. Same with Mustard, Murda Beatz etc. If he is doing what you're describing, it may say something about people who still work with him.

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 12th, 2019, 18:42

Maybe the video is more clear

Legend
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 12th, 2019, 18:55

Maybe the video is more clear
    Pretty clear
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 12th, 2019, 19:11

Meh.

That "organising" is still a skillset that one must have.

Manager
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 12th, 2019, 19:12

The biggest problem I have with it is that he is having a big mouth and ego despite trying to sell the album with Energy drinks, his lack of involvment AND downgrading others which are much more involved.

Legend
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 12th, 2019, 19:25

The biggest problem I have with it is that he is having a big mouth and ego despite trying to sell the album with Energy drinks, his lack of involvment AND downgrading others which are much more involved.
    Not to mention that Billboard stated they detected irregular and suspicious activities with the energy drinks bundles and that was the reason the bundles got disqualified. Bundles are allowed but Billboard can disqualify any activity that is found to be either dishonest, fraudulent or manipulative.

Billboard didn't exclude his bundles just because they wanted and without any sustainable reason, they would likely have not proceeded that way if they had not noticed anything "wrong" or alarming, It's not like they are disqualifying bundles every single week or "changing rules" every single time, so the reasons and activities they detected must have been "bad" enough to make such strong decissions as they publicly declared.
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Manager
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 12th, 2019, 19:31

Meh.

That "organising" is still a skillset that one must have.
    See, this is what I don't understand: You keep saying that he possesses some form of skill to argue that the criticism directed towards him is unwarranted.

I too am a very skillful person at my job and my various hobbies (arguably, my skillset is more impressive than what some artists do )... maybe I too should throw a hissy fit, 'cause I'm not charting anywhere and then have you defend me when people rightfully say that I'm in no position to complain...?

I'm not an artist, thus I'm not on Billboard... simple as. Khaled is not an artist, but merely someone who works in the music industry in some vague capacity. He IS charting (good for him, I guess), yet complains (and sues!), because he feels cheated out of the number one spot by an ACTUAL artist - how much of a narcissist can he be?

Manager
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 12th, 2019, 20:47

It is annoying when artist are never grateful for what they have but I can guarantee many artist get upset over this.
    Diva!!!

Legend
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 12th, 2019, 23:59

Quote Originally Posted by TIfan View Post
    It is annoying when artist are never grateful for what they have but I can guarantee many artist get upset over this.
    Who ever wants second place?

Legend
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 13th, 2019, 00:05

Khaled is so salty about this, throwing shade at Tyler out of bitterness despite being 0.000001% of the artist he is.

Billboard probably disqualified the energy drink sales because of bulk buying (I wouldn't be surprised if Khaled's team or label was behind this). They had sponsored blog posts asking people to buy dozens of these bundles, which is against the chart rules afaik (or at least it should be).

Legend
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 13th, 2019, 15:05

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmusik View Post
    Khaled is so salty about this, throwing shade at Tyler out of bitterness despite being 0.000001% of the artist he is.

Billboard probably disqualified the energy drink sales because of bulk buying (I wouldn't be surprised if Khaled's team or label was behind this). They had sponsored blog posts asking people to buy dozens of these bundles, which is against the chart rules afaik (or at least it should be).
    So not only he committed fraud with his bundles proven to be a scam but he's now shading and attacking Tyler? Where's the sense in this? it isn't Tyler's fault what happened, Tyler doesn't deserve this.

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 13th, 2019, 15:35

See, this is what I don't understand: You keep saying that he possesses some form of skill to argue that the criticism directed towards him is unwarranted.

I too am a very skillful person at my job and my various hobbies (arguably, my skillset is more impressive than what some artists do )... maybe I too should throw a hissy fit, 'cause I'm not charting anywhere and then have you defend me when people rightfully say that I'm in no position to complain...?
    Firstly, if you so wish to release an album as the main artist then I support you in doing so. I will defend your right to complain if you feel cheated. Obviously, just as people are doing here you will receive criticism and scrutiny.

I'm not an artist, thus I'm not on Billboard... simple as. Khaled is not an artist, but merely someone who works in the music industry in some vague capacity. He IS charting (good for him, I guess), yet complains (and sues!), because he feels cheated out of the number one spot by an ACTUAL artist - how much of a narcissist can he be?
    Just because you (and I guess a lot of people here) think he is not an artist doesnt mean he is not an artist. There are many people who claim, for example, that Beyonce is not a songwriter or that JLo is not a singer yet they too chart as artists or songwriters.

I believe if he feels cheated then let him do whatever is necessary to assuage his concerns. If he was not cheated or that there was nothing nefarious in what Billboard did, then that should come to light whether in the legal system or not.

It seems that people here believe he should not receive his due recourse simply because they believe he is "not an artist".

IMO, this is the biggest issue I have with the posts here. People are attacking his level of involvement with his complaints against Billboard. One may argue his complaints have no merit but that's different from saying he shouldn't complain because he isn't involved with his music.

I agree he should not be downgrading others.

Manager
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 13th, 2019, 17:51

Yikes @bm08 investing more energy defending KhaLARD than the energy KhaLARD invests in "his" music or at the gym

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 13th, 2019, 18:25

Quote Originally Posted by aRat View Post
    Diabetes do your thing
    Quote Originally Posted by aRat View Post
    Yikes @bm08 investing more energy defending KhaLARD than the energy KhaLARD invests in "his" music or at the gym
    It is troubling, to me, that you're investing your energy trolling DJ Khaled in this thread over contributing civilly to the discussions.

Trolling which is in fact against the Rules and Regulations of this forum, if I may add.

Manager
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 13th, 2019, 18:37

Just because you (and I guess a lot of people here) think he is not an artist doesnt mean he is not an artist. There are many people who claim, for example, that Beyonce is not a songwriter or that JLo is not a singer yet they too chart as artists or songwriters.
    That comparison makes no sense. You seem to imply that an artist has to be good at what they do. Even a bad singer is a singer. If I release a record with my screechy mess of a voice on it, I'm the singer of that song, period. Thus, if - for some weird reason - that thing sells and enters a chart, I am a charting music artist. There's no way around that. Talentless and undeserving, no doubt, but still a charting music artist.

It seems that people here believe he should not receive his due recourse simply because they believe he is "not an artist".
    It is not a believe, it is what he himself tells us by describing what he does. Admittedly, I don't know about his early work, but at least nowadays Khaled provides "play-dates" for established producers, writers and singers and tells them "that's dope" when he likes what they cook up. That is literally all he does by his own admission. He might not word it quite as bluntly as I just did, but content-wise he says exactly that. Just listen to his interviews, when he talks about studio sessions.

He's a bit like a test audience at movie pre-screenings... people produce something, he tells them what he likes or doesn't like and they rearrange accordingly, until there's a final product which he loves. However, contrary to a test audience, he then adds his producer tags and puts the music on the market under his name. "DJ Khaled presents..." would be far more accurate, but he doesn't settle for that.

Under those preconditions, suing Billboard and mocking Tyler makes him look like an insolent child with delusions of grandeur.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat June 15th, 2019, 19:21

I personally think this type of behaviour is not acceptable because music should, of course, not be valued by numbers and records and facts.
    Obviously I'm aware that it's a business, and one of the most vicious ones at that, but the most talented people don't even hit the top 10 at all, or the charts alltogether.
    For such a person to stamp his feet like a little baby is ridiculous because he obviously is not a talent musically and he already must be rich enough to not have any worries...
    This is simply a case where a narcissist's product isn't the most important thing in the world.
    Instead of messing with deals and bundles, buy some talent.