Thread: DJ Khaled throws tantrum after #2 debut

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 6th, 2019, 10:59

DJ Khaled throws tantrum after his new album debuts at No. 2

Coming in at No. 2 just won’t do when you’re DJ Khaled.

Multiple music sources told Page Six the rapper and producer was fuming at his label after his new album, Father of Asahd, failed to debut at the top of the charts in the US.

“He stormed into Epic (records) with an entourage,” a source said. “And when projections showed his new record looked likely to come in second, he was angry and yelling. He threw a temper tantrum.”

Khaled blamed the album placing on his label chiefs not understanding streaming services and bundle deals.

A second source, who also described how the disappointed DJ did not hold back his displeasure, added, “No. 2 won’t do for Khaled. He was not happy when the album didn’t debut at No. 1 … Not happy at all.”

An industry insider added: “He was furious. There was some nasty stuff said. Publicly, he’s all about positivity, but there is a mean side to him that people don’t see … He overhyped the record and blew it up as his biggest album ever.”

Turns out it wasn’t.

Father of Asahd debuted behind LA rapper Tyler, the Creator’s fifth studio album, Igor — despite an aggressive PR push by Khaled’s team that included a Saturday Night Live appearance and a Pepsi #Summergram kick-off event in New York.

The album features guests Cardi B, Meek Mill and SZA.

Another insider said Khaled went off when an estimated 100,000 downloads of his album that were sold through a bundle deal with an energy drink weren’t included in his sales by Billboard.

The source said, “Khaled was upset that his label wasn’t fighting for him and fighting for those numbers to count, which could have propelled him to No. 1. They don’t get it.”

Meanwhile, Sony, which owns Epic and also reps Tyler, “is happy regardless. Their artists were No. 1 and No. 2.”

A source close to Khaled insisted he’s staying sanguine.

“His album is almost gold, and it’s not even a month old,” they said.

Khaled is sticking to his positive mantra on social media, writing, “Still celebrating the album that was the most streamed and digital sales … to the world.”

His rep didn’t comment.
    https://pagesix.com/2019/06/05/dj-kh...ebuts-at-no-2/

Remind me of last year when Nicki Minaj was mad at debuting at #2 . Perhaps both should date.
    Last edited by innocenteyes; Thu June 6th, 2019 at 13:16.

Legend
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 6th, 2019, 11:07

So basically he just wanted to be #1 with everything what would have been possible even if it were for gimmicks like 'bundles with energy drinks'? Seriously?

I never cared for him or his music and this is yet another reason why I won't change that in the future.

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 6th, 2019, 12:11

This is what's annoying with R&B and hip-hop, it's always about #1, sales and streaming numbers, validation from charts and awards, etc. We'll definitely see future meltdowns from Cardi B and Drake in a few years once people move on from them.

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 6th, 2019, 12:18

Such a grown up man caring about such stupid things, being #1 is super cool but if it doesn't happen you shouldn't be dying in anger unless you're some superficial narcissist.

... And #2 is already too generous for him BTW, he should be thankful for even being #2 because he deserves being #201 with that cr*p music he does.
    Last edited by MrLeonix; Thu June 6th, 2019 at 12:39.
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Legend
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 6th, 2019, 13:10

Honestly this guy is one of the most annoying people is showbusiness. He's a talentless jackass, who got famous somehow he probably isn't even sure about.

But now that I found out it was Tyler who blocked him, I'm even happier.
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Legend
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 6th, 2019, 14:00

I agree that his label should've fought for his bundles to be counted. If the rules exist such that they could be then they should've done what was necessary.

That being said, his meltdown was unwarranted. It is good that it happened in private vs. in public via global radio.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 6th, 2019, 14:35

Quote Originally Posted by bm08 View Post
    I agree that his label should've fought for his bundles to be counted. If the rules exist such that they could be then they should've done what was necessary.
    The artist who beat him, Tyler The Creator is on the same label though.

I agree with Mr Leonix. It's rather pathetic to see him being so upset about missing the Top spot.

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 6th, 2019, 14:46

Quote Originally Posted by DnBLover View Post
    Honestly this guy is one of the most annoying people is showbusiness. He's a talentless jackass, who got famous somehow he probably isn't even sure about.

But now that I found out it was Tyler who blocked him, I'm even happier.
    If someone can tell me what he actually does when all he does is use samples...
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 6th, 2019, 14:56

Quote Originally Posted by Loveguru View Post
    If someone can tell me what he actually does when all he does is use samples...
    I don't think he is even the one sampling anything. He has other people produce for him, there was some news regarding that some time ago. He is just a hype man

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 6th, 2019, 17:03

Quote Originally Posted by innocenteyes View Post
    The artist who beat him, Tyler The Creator is on the same label though.

I agree with Mr Leonix. It's rather pathetic to see him being so upset about missing the Top spot.
    Same label but different division?? (Epic vs. Columbia) both under Sony. I mean, he may have a point if Epic/Sony didn't do all that they would've if the competition was from an entirely different umbrella label.

Manager
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 6th, 2019, 18:51

Gosh he is such a waste of space

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 6th, 2019, 20:53

Who ended up at #1?

Doesn't matter, talent won.

Legend
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat June 8th, 2019, 13:20

He robbed Imagine Dragons of #1 spot last time so karma is doing its job i see.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat June 8th, 2019, 14:02

Imagine Dragons' 'Night Vision' debuted at No. 2 behind Matchbox Twenty's 'North'. That pretty much shows that peak positions don't say anything about an album's success or cultural impact. Or would you say that Barbra Streisand's 'Higher Ground' was bigger than Shania Twain's 'Come On Over'?
    Last edited by theMathematician; Sat June 8th, 2019 at 14:18.

Legend
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat June 8th, 2019, 14:17

Quote Originally Posted by Rihab View Post
    Who ended up at #1?

Doesn't matter, talent won.
    Tyler the Creator and Billie Eilish

Manager
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » Sat June 8th, 2019, 14:21

Quote Originally Posted by DnBLover View Post
    Tyler the Creator and Billie Eilish
    So talent did indeed win, but then again even the massive turd I took today is more talented than DJ KhaLARD.

Legend
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat June 8th, 2019, 19:28

Quote Originally Posted by theMathematician View Post
    Imagine Dragons' 'Night Vision' debuted at No. 2 behind Matchbox Twenty's 'North'. That pretty much shows that peak positions don't say anything about an album's success or cultural impact. Or would you say that Barbra Streisand's 'Higher Ground' was bigger than Shania Twain's 'Come On Over'?
    I was talking about Evolve or Origins. And yes, peak positions matter to some people.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun June 9th, 2019, 01:04

^^ I wasn't referring to your post, @spiritboy, but was speaking, in general, of a 'recent' case of an album debuting at No. 2 but ending up outselling and outcharting the No. 1 album by far - and 'Night Vision' was a very prominent example for that.

Why do you think peak positions matter much for some people? I'm sure random people on the street would struggle to find the No. 1 album out of the following 5: Cake's 'Showroom of Compassion', Lady Gaga's 'The Fame', Mumford & Sons' 'Sigh No More', Imagine Dragons' 'Night Vision', Lana Del Rey's 'Born To Die'.

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun June 9th, 2019, 04:17

Quote Originally Posted by theMathematician View Post
    I was waiting for this.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun June 9th, 2019, 16:50

Well, because it's the prime example of 'It's not where you start, but where you end!'. There are of course much more examples and someone like DJ Khaled would be able to experience the same if he released an album that was actually good and promoted in a way that the general audience started caring about his music - since they are the ones that push an album back into the top 10 after charting for a year, not the core fanbase.

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun June 9th, 2019, 20:33

But things are cool.

The longevity and final results are great / amazing but also having a #1 (even if it plumments like a rock) is fun for the achievements lists and stats and for the amount of #1s an artist can collect.

However it doesn't justify to act like a dumb person when you don't get the number 1.
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Manager
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun June 9th, 2019, 22:05

It's always the least talented who lack humbleness, isn't it?

If charts reflected artistry...

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon June 10th, 2019, 13:19

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLinda View Post
    It's always the least talented who lack humbleness, isn't it?

If charts reflected artistry...
    Why do singers like him though... he seems so annoying
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon June 10th, 2019, 16:27

This loser

--

DJ Khaled planning monster lawsuit against Billboard Chart

DJ Khaled is poised to hit the Billboard Chart with a monster lawsuit alleging the organization unfairly disqualified more than 100,000 sales of “Father of Asahd,” robbing him of the No. 1 spot.

Khaled was furious when his album came in at No.  2 to Tyler, the Creator’s “IGOR,” after Billboard allegedly discounted downloads sold by the DJ and producer as part of a “bundle deal” with an energy drink. Bundle deals, which offer album downloads alongside merchandise, are a standard but controversial industry practice to boost sales.

We’re told Billboard had agreed it would count downloads from Khaled’s energy drink package, which sources in the artist’s camp say amounted to more than 100,000. Billboard later backtracked, disqualifying Khaled’s entire sales from the promotion, arguing there were “anomalies” in his figures. Page Six has exclusively learned that lawyers for Khaled have fired off a letter to Silvio Pietroluongo, SVP of charts and data development at Billboard.

A DJ Khaled source said, “When Khaled’s team tried to appeal, Billboard refused to budge.” The source said the situation was all the more unjust because Tyler, the Creator’s bundle deal figures were included in his total sales. On May 30, Billboard announced Tyler debuted at No. 1 with 165,000 albums sold, with Khaled at No. 2 at 137,000. Not fair, argues Khaled’s team.

Page Six exclusively reported a few days ago that Khaled had a tense meeting with Sylvia Rhone, chairman and CEO of his label Epic, over the matter. The source explained, “Khaled was frustrated his label didn’t fight harder for his bundle sales to be included.”

A Billboard source disputed that 100,000 DJ Khaled sales were disqualified but admitted an undisclosed number of his sales were ruled out because “there were strange anomalies in the data,” adding that the decision was based on chart rules following talks with Khaled’s management, Sony Records and Nielsen. Billboard announced it has reviewed its rules allowing artists to bundle albums with merch and will outline a new policy for 2020.

Reps for DJ Khaled didn’t comment, and Billboard also declined to comment.
    Source: https://pagesix.com/2019/06/10/dj-kh...mpression=true