Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Taylor Swift - You Need To Calm Down

Superstar
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 13:35

OK, finally listened to this. Better than ME! but that isn't a hard thing to be. It's still underwhelming and not something I'd listen to. Yeah, lyrics are a bit cringey, but that was always part of Taylor's songs. At least it's not as dumb as most parts of ME!

The ooh ooh part is terrible though. So annoying and the layering of vocals is weird there.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Legend
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 13:40

Quote Originally Posted by JeremySpears View Post
    This cover reminds me of Miley‘s "Younger Now" era.

I‘m sorry but I love this song. I‘ve had it on repeat all morning. Such a nice feel good summer bop. If "...Ready for It?“ and "Gorgeous" had a baby this is what it would sound like.
    Why does this look like Britney?
    Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

Superstar
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 13:44

Also I remember she said there's a clue in the video of ME! to the name of the second single. I didn't read anyone guessed it before. What was it (did the fans solve it now)?

Legend
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 13:48

Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    Also I remember she said there's a clue in the video of ME! to the name of the second single. I didn't read anyone guessed it before. What was it (did the fans solve it now)?
    Brendon tells her "You need to calm down" in French at the beginning
    Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

Legend
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 13:51

I must be in the minority cos I really like ME! This is quite weak and sounds like a retread of some of her other songs.

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 15:17

I LOVE IT!!! YASSSS Taylor!! This is a PRIDE anthem! I love the message, and the song is catchy!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 15:30

Its sad, she can do so much better then this!

I found it weard that this is the same girl that wrote Blank Space and All too well

Legend
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 16:16

Another very annoying song. :/
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Superstar
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 16:17

kinda digging it, sounds like 'Gorgeous' Part II (one of my all time favs!). :cheer:

cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Legend
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Superstar
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 16:37

Before the lyric video, I thought she was saying glad, but I guess she means GLAAD, which is kind of a nice Pride shout-out.

Anyhow, whatever people. I like it.

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 17:43

This is "better" than ME!, but far from what she has done before. What happened, Taylor??

It seems this era will go nowhere for me.
    KYLIE MINOGUE

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 18:13

What a pretty average song. Me is much better.
    Has the hit maker lost her touch?

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 18:23

It's much better than the Hella annoying ME! Having said that, it's quite average. I'm starting to think that she lost her modjo somewhere between 1989 and reputation.

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 18:45

Omg. This is so weak. Her weakest single ever. And "ME!" Was a let down. She's really pulling a Witness lol and Katy is pulling a Reputation (since she's not back in full form yet though).
    Why Taytay :(

Legend
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 18:52

In her latest decree as pop’s current Glinda the Good Witch, Taylor Swift has told an unnamed group of online haters to “calm down.” If that seems like an unhelpful appeal in the midst of everything fucked up about social media, it is. But since she took off her Reputation villain costume, Swift is all about spreading self-love, touting the joys of spelling and showering in rainbow sludge. In the Lover album era, she would release an anti-bullying ally anthem so positive it’s almost unnerving.

At its core, “You Need to Calm Down” is well-intentioned. Like, yes, of course it’s good to take the high road, kill them with kindness, and other clichés that moms like to tell tweens. But Swift aggressively avoids anything more nuanced, adopting internet speak to fight internet haters. “You’re taking shots at me like it’s Patrón,” she says with all the flair of someone who just listened to a rap song for the first time. In an effort to “brush off the haters” and display resilience, she doesn’t reveal any of the uncertainty and vulnerability that previously lay at the heart of her songwriting. Instead, the words are penned with the energy of a nail-painting emoji and delivered with a plastic smile.

Swift dedicates the second half of the song to prove her allyship to the gay community, which again, deserves some props. But her way of showing alliance is confounding: “Why be mad, when you can be GLAAD,” she sings, upping the LGBTQ-centering media organization, but also parroting a literal Tupperware slogan. And when she says “shade never made anyone less gay,” she adopts slang with queer black origins in an attempt to create a mic-drop moment, but ends up sounding like another corporation proving they’re “down for the cause” during Pride Month. All of this, coupled with a hook that’s mostly vowels, makes for a song that’s somehow bewildering and underwhelming at the same time. “You Need to Calm Down” is like one of those fancy unicorn cupcakes, an impossibly cute confection designed to distract you from the fact that it’s a mediocre dessert. I cannot think of something I would rather buy into less.
    The sheer accuracy of this Pitchfork review

Manager
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 19:07

Spot On. I think one of the problems this era is that she mainly focused on having a clear cut to the "dark" reputation that she ultimately didn't notice what kind of childish way she is taking and went too far. Everyone in her team was probably too afraid to tell her sadly

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 19:17

^ Yep. The contrast between this era and reputations is so big it's disturbing.

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 19:29

It's pretty obvious, she tried to pull her "rebellious" and "Darker" and "I'm not sweet anymore" era when she started the "Reputation" campaign, with the imagery, her outfits, looks, visuals, look at the music video of "Look What you Made Me Do", the way she was dressing around the time, the embracing the snake thing, the album cover, etc. . . . She even tried to play "badass" on "End Game" . . . it was clear her plan was to spice up her image but as soon she and her team realized the era (despite successful) was not having the same succes of her previous ones they probably panicked and completely gave up on that concept going back to old Taylor with the music video for "Delicate".

Seems like they were so affraid after the failed darker image change attempt during "Reputation" that they went back to sweet, teenage, childish, bubbly, same old Taylor and they were so paranoid that they didn't notice they took it to the extreme even turning childish. Now everything is corny-looking, glittery, girly, child-friendly, pink, rainbows and kindergarden paradise.
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Legend
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 19:39

Idk what y'all are on about, I find this cute. She's obviously not at the creative peak she had during 1989, but this is catchy and breezy. Suits her better than the faux-dark image she had during her last era.

That said, she REALLY needs to step up her game if she wants to keep up, no one's here for this. She needs to put out something mature and powerful, not this. I think this new era, while devised as a return to form, will just continue her slow but steady downward spiral.

Manager
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 19:48

I really don't get some of you. This is pure pop. It's brilliant
    3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 20:01

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Idk what y'all are on about, I find this cute. She's obviously not at the creative peak she had during 1989, but this is catchy and breezy. Suits her better than the faux-dark image she had during her last era.
    I'm now revising my opinion that you have a taste.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 20:01

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    I'm now revising my opinion that you have a taste.

Manager
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Fri June 14th, 2019, 21:32

It’s forgettable and so lazy. She needs Max Martin to bring her the very best of pop once more.