Thread: Taylor Swift - Lover

Superstar
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun July 21st, 2019, 12:53

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyOfMe View Post
    I am aware of how the streaming era works, but I guess you missed the point I was trying to make
    It's not about throwing something and see if it sticks. Look at Ariana and 7 rings/break up. 7 rings was sticking but they still went ahead and released break up. They are using the window of opportunity to get some songs higher streaming numbers. Because when the album drops the streams will spread even among the album tracks. This way they get a few songs that seem like a hit stream number wise at least.

So no, I did not miss your point. Even if ME! was #1 this week we would still be getting Calm Down and whatever the third single is.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Superstar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun July 21st, 2019, 13:14

I know how it works in the streaming era, boo, you really don't have to tell me!
    Anyway, I guess we cannot possibly know what would have happened if the ME! or Calm Down had stuck around a bit longer, since neither of us is in Taylor's management team.

Legend
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun July 21st, 2019, 15:27

Maybe they would've delayed the release of second single if ME! topped the Hot 100 but it didn't and it fell quickly.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Legend
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Yesterday, 09:37

We already said the hype never has been as low as it was for "Reputation", but I guess she topped that with "Lover"?

I mean, this is coming in a month and I would have no idea if it wasn't for this forum.

I still hope they do full promo during first week, I would love her to get another one million first week (even though it will be veeery difficult to do that). But Adele and Taylor are like the only person who could still do it.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Yesterday, 10:25

^^ I'll expect 'Lover's opening to turn out significantly lower, like ~ 600k. Still more than most of her peers, but without the hype from being the follow-up of a big album (which '1989' was) and a strikingly successful lead single, I don't see 'Lover' repeating 'reputation.'s opening numbers.
    ~ Change is a powerful thing
    People are powerful beings
    Trying to find the power in me to be faithful ~
    (L.d.R.)

Manager
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Yesterday, 10:31

Especially since pure sales decreased drastically since Repurtation, and so far this rollout hasn't done her any favors. I'm going for 750k max as I can't see her topping 1m or Drake's Scorpion. It will still be a very good opening anyway

Legend
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Yesterday, 10:54

The question is, how big is the hype in the US? Because everywhere else it's obviously not there, especially compared to previous eras. But then, both singles peaked at #2 on the US Hot 100 while her only Top10 hits with "Reputation" peaked at #1 and #4. So going by charts performance of the singles alone, this era isn't too far away from her last in the US.

Also, iirc "Reputation" wasn't on Spotify from day one on, so if they put out "Lover" to streaming services everywhere, this may make up for the 'lost pure sales'. It's still possible IMO.

Speaking of that, I wonder what "Reputation" would have done with a full streaming release as well.

...oh, I just found this:

Apple Music revealed that Taylor Swift became the woman artist with the most pre-adds on the first day, surpassing Ariana Grande's record with thank u, next. Swift racked up 178,600-plus pre-adds worldwide on their platform during the first 24-hours, starting on June 13. She has kept going since then, and is at more than 222,400 pre-adds and growing as of June 16. Apple Music revealed that Swift also now holds the record for most pre-added pop album in its first day worldwide.
    Doesn't mean much obviously as you still don't need to get the full album if you added it to get the singles, but there still seems to be some demand.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Yesterday, 12:03

I'll say 500k first week SPS. With physical sales going down the drain I don't see her making it up on streaming. If there was a tour bundle I'd say 700-750k, but with the muted response from general audience on these first two singles I can't see it debuting higher than something around 500k SPS..

Manager
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Yesterday, 12:28

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike View Post
    We already said the hype never has been as low as it was for "Reputation", but I guess she topped that with "Lover"?

I mean, this is coming in a month and I would have no idea if it wasn't for this forum.

I still hope they do full promo during first week, I would love her to get another one million first week (even though it will be veeery difficult to do that). But Adele and Taylor are like the only person who could still do it.
    The hype for "reputation" was low?? Did we experience the same era?

She killed that era with that 0 promo strategy but the hype was 100% there.

Legend
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Yesterday, 12:53

Quote Originally Posted by JeremySpears View Post
    The hype for "reputation" was low?? Did we experience the same era?

She killed that era with that 0 promo strategy but the hype was 100% there.
    Well, same question to you

I mean, yes, the hype was huge when LWYMMD dropped, but it drastically declined afterwards. Especially compared to her previous eras ('compare' being the magical word here; I didn't say the hype was low, I said it was as low as never before for her).

Manager
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Yesterday, 12:58

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike View Post

...oh, I just found this:

Apple Music revealed that Taylor Swift became the woman artist with the most pre-adds on the first day, surpassing Ariana Grande's record with thank u, next. Swift racked up 178,600-plus pre-adds worldwide on their platform during the first 24-hours, starting on June 13. She has kept going since then, and is at more than 222,400 pre-adds and growing as of June 16. Apple Music revealed that Swift also now holds the record for most pre-added pop album in its first day worldwide.

Doesn't mean much obviously as you still don't need to get the full album if you added it to get the singles, but there still seems to be some demand.
    I still doubt she will top the 800,000 presaves of Billie's latest album and then again Taylor has a much bigger fanbase who would do that and they would listen to the album anyway. I would be really suprised if her streaming numbers come close to Ariana or Billie and even they were only able to add 250k for Ari and less than 200k for Billie.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Yesterday, 13:08

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBoy View Post
    I still doubt she will top the 800,000 presaves of Billie's latest album and then again Taylor has a much bigger fanbase who would do that and they would listen to the album anyway. I would be really suprised if her streaming numbers come close to Ariana or Billie and even they were only able to add 250k for Ari and less than 200k for Billie.
    Taylor made a mistake by keeping her music from streaming and/or holding physical exclusive for some time before releasing on streaming. Sure, it made her sell more, but I feel she didn't build the streaming profile she could've had. She is for sure gonna have lower streaming numbers than Ariana and Billie. And not by a small margin.

Manager
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Yesterday, 13:13

Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    Taylor made a mistake by keeping her music from streaming and/or holding physical exclusive for some time before releasing on streaming. Sure, it made her sell more, but I feel she didn't build the streaming profile she could've had. She is for sure gonna have lower streaming numbers than Ariana and Billie. And not by a small margin.
    She is not the only one doing that mistake

Superstar
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Yesterday, 13:24

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBoy View Post
    She is not the only one doing that mistake

Legend
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Yesterday, 15:08

I predict her next song about lawn gnomes will be a massive hit though.
    gimme, gimme, what I want, what I deserve, gimme, gimme | My last.fm

Manager
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Yesterday, 17:07

Can she stop with her easter eggs already? I'll start throwing some at her if she uses the word one more time. Hope she releases this albums Delicate next

Legend
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Today, 11:55

I don't know if this will be as good as 1989 but so far it's already better than Reputation.
    Cha Cha Instructor