Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sam Smith - How Do You Sleep?

Manager
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 09:14

I love the production, should have gotten catchier lyrics. But this is good and different for him

Legend
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 10:40

It's a great tune and I'm actually surprised the song itdels is rather midtempo. He went all in with this fabulous video. Him dancing is nice for a change.
    I love the production - It sounds fresh and interesting but isn't overshadowing his great vocals.

That said, I prefer his ballads to this sound and I genuinely hope that they will still outnumber the pop tune on his upcoming album.
    I want his voice to shine.

BTW, is this song inspired by his ex Brendan Flynn?
    Last edited by Mainshow; Fri July 19th, 2019 at 10:42.
    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 10:44

I know he is not the first gay pop person but this video is powerful as well. It's like this his first single as a free openly out gay male.

The song it self is actually very beautifully written, it is like the moment that happens before Dua Lipa new rules as we know Sam is going to call this guy after thinking all these thoughts.

He does know how to play with people emotions with his songs. Well done with this one. One of his best and I agree it probably didn't need the beat drop because Sam's voice is very vulnerable and manipulative
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 11:05

Quote Originally Posted by Loveguru View Post
    I know he is not the first gay pop person but this video is powerful as well. It's like this his first single as a free openly out gay male.
    I know what you mean but somehow I think that this thought is slightly wrong. Being a free gay person doesn't mean that you have to behave like that and dance and move in a "flamboyant" way. He even gave interviews saying that he came out to his parents when he was 9/10 years old and wore make-up at school.

Sam Smith has always been a free and gay artist. I appreciate it a lot that he came out before releasing his debut. He deserves respect for it, in my opinion. He didn't want to hide his sexuality straight from the beginning of his career. He also addressed that "Stay With Me" was about his ex (male) lover. He might not have been very vocal on LGTBQ issues but he was always free and proud and did not hide who he is.

I see this video in something he wanted to do. Just going "all way". Since a year or so he's sometimes posting videos of him wearing heels etc. on FB, Instagram.
    But again, associating such things with being gay or non-binary is wrong. I just think that Sam is way more relaxed now... After gaining a few hits, he just wanted to try something new.
    Last edited by Mainshow; Fri July 19th, 2019 at 11:08.

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 11:08

I really expected something from this and thought it's the first solo song of him I would like, but sadly not. My expectations were too high, the song is a bit lame for being more dancey :/
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 11:32

Quote Originally Posted by Mainshow View Post
    I know what you mean but somehow I think that this thought is slightly wrong. Being a free gay person doesn't mean that you have to behave like that and dance and move in a "flamboyant" way. He even gave interviews saying that he came out to his parents when he was 9/10 years old and wore make-up at school.

Sam Smith has always been a free and gay artist. I appreciate it a lot that he came out before releasing his debut. He deserves respect for it, in my opinion. He didn't want to hide his sexuality straight from the beginning of his career. He also addressed that "Stay With Me" was about his ex (male) lover. He might not have been very vocal on LGTBQ issues but he was always free and proud and did not hide who he is.

I see this video in something he wanted to do. Just going "all way". Since a year or so he's sometimes posting videos of him wearing heels etc. on FB, Instagram.
    But again, associating such things with being gay or non-binary is wrong. I just think that Sam is way more relaxed now... After gaining a few hits, he just wanted to try something new.

You KNOW what I mean but you can go off unnecessary. This is my issue with the far left.

The is a reason why his first era did not capture the full essence of who Sam was and there is a difference why this one of late feels a bit more authentic to him.

HE EVEN SAID IN HIS INSTAGRAM THANK YOU GUY FOR HELPING MY COME OUT OF MY SHELL over the past year.

My comment stays he is not an gay openly free musician. He would not have worn heel singing stay with me back in the day but I am betting 50 bucks he will do heel at some point performing this.

Being effeminate doesn't correlated with being gay henceforth why i added the word "openly" and "free" because males struggle the express these sides of them because of what society thing. It is even worse when you " gay" and say what you want or MAKE THIS MOUNTAIN bigger than what it is... this video is like a "Hello" from Sam as open and raw as he can be at this stage.. he might even take a step further.

That post was more about your own issues than the point I was making anyways.
    Forever Young

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 11:35

...as you said under your interpretation this is something that he has always wanted to do... but why has it taken him 3 eras? He had to knock down some walls and he is free.

you can fixate on the word gay all you want but the video borrows alot from the camp gay culture which as you said probably something he wanted to but the question is more why now..

he is free, open and liberated.

anyways the words are used came from same himself via his stories leading up to this song and his instagram caption
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 11:48

I agree with Loveguru overall

Legend
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 11:52

There are many factors which could have influenced his decision to come up with this release. He lost a lot of weight and was insecure about his body before. That might have been an issue why he didn't dance in front of a camera before. Also, based on the lyrics, we can speculate that his last relationship wasn't healthy. People can change. Artists evolve. He could have been a very free and openly gay artist before but after doing so many ballads, he thought that it was time to try something new (especially since "Promises" was a global hit) and Sam's really excited about this release because it's an unusual choice for a single, the music video is different (we had same-sex couples in "Too Good At Goodbyes" music video too and Sam was intimate with a male person as well).

The fact that I don't agree with your statement that this release feels like his first release as a free gay artist doesn't take away the fact that this song is something new for Sam and that he's rally happy about it.

Many artists evolve with their third album, tasting the waters after cementing her status in the industry.

Sam just seems very happy and confident, imo, and this can have a lot of different reasons.

He has always been a free and openly gay artist. He just shows a sldifferent side/aspect of it with "Promises" and this release.

However, I agree with you saying his free, open and liberated.
    But as I said, it might have been caused by a variety of aspects and sure, his sexuality is part of it, but he has been vocal about his sexuality before his debut so that I personally think his feeling of being free must have been caused by many different reasons.
    Last edited by Mainshow; Fri July 19th, 2019 at 11:57.

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 12:03

During the interview, Smith spoke about how he's "always had a bit of a war within my body," having previously resented the fact his body moves in a "feminine" way. He came out as gay when he was 10 years old, but now feels more fluid.

"Non-binary, genderqueer is that you do not identify in a gender," he continued. "You are a mixture of all different things. You are your own special creation. That's how I take it. I'm not male or female, I think I float somewhere in between. It's all on a spectrum. I think the same with sexuality."

That is not even me trying to find you where he has actually expressed an elevation in his free down regarding everything. He also said it in his instagram stories all year this year and last.

Also the free bit is not linked to just his sexuality but everything that makes him .. him from as you said his weight to his gender but obviously his sexuality for the most part has been the most talked about thing that he has to navigate through out his career....

If he was black I would have say free , open , gay , black.... the gay bit was not added because of him acting flamboyant but that is for the most part the thing that placed him a minority within the music industry. He would have struggled in terms of privilege... like they would have told him to not to X and Y to sell records.

Anyways you are arguing for the sake of arguing
    Forever Young

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 12:05

Having same sex couples in your video is like saying i told one of my friends that I am gay over actually telling EVERYONE YOU ARE gay btw. Not that that point really matters.

John Legend also had the same thing in his and he ain't gay.

But the moment where he held the boy was nice and also very forward for a top pop male star. Adam lambert kissed a guy on stage in 2009 and got destroyed so do not assume that what he did in this clip did not involve so much bravery and also he wasn't holding some of it before
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 16:34

It’s good but not so instant for me and I’m not mad on the ‘drop’.

Legend
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 21:39

the song is average, the drop is cheap and I don't like the video. Bring back the "Dancing With a stranger" quality

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by » Sat July 20th, 2019, 01:49

I am following Sam since the begining of the ''In the Lonely Hour'' era and I always wanted to see him doing something like this! It was time and you can saw this coming since Promises with Calvin Harris last year, I wish DWAS was a SOLO song where he can showcast his dance and free expressions (STILL WAITING FOR THE SOLO VERSION TBH) and this pop-oriented sound was something I always expected to make and I'm SO FUCKING GLAD that he's doing this, it shows a grow in him, something like MNEK done in the Colour video, dance, expession, the point is: WHY IS BAD FOR A OPENLY GAY SINGER TO MAKE THINGS LIKE THIS? Every gay singer has showcased his flirty-sexy side from George Michael, Ricky Martin, Will Young, Ari Gold, Colton Ford, Adam Lambert, Steve Grand, Troye Sivan, Olly Alexander from Years & Years, MNEK, to name a few and nobody complained about it or y'all thought that Sam will make sad-ballads forever? Level up guys...
    Last edited by basticasas; Sat July 20th, 2019 at 01:51.

by » Sat July 20th, 2019, 05:51

The video is gold! I love the ending!

I can't wait to hear what the rest of the album holds if this and DWAS are on it.
    thank u, next

Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

by » Sat July 20th, 2019, 07:16

I love this. Just bought it on iTunes.. What a great track! - I hope it will be a success for him! Sam deserves this!

by » Sat July 20th, 2019, 07:20

This is absolutely amazing and a perfect DWAS follow up. Can’t wait for the album

Legend
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

by » Sat July 20th, 2019, 15:19

Ooooooo Samantha this is cute.

I’ll forgive him now for being sick for the Billboard DWAS performance
    Quote Originally Posted by Serby
    Cuz you ugly and can't relate

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

by » Sat July 20th, 2019, 17:34

Regarding the song itself: I have to say that Sam Smith is very hit and miss for me. There are two songs of his I really like (the Bond song and 'Promises'), while many, especially the slower ones, are just average at best. I like that he's releasing a bit more uptempo songs lately - they suit his voice. 'How Do You Sleep?' has good moments, especially in the chorus, but it can't fully convince me - I feel like the idea could've been executed in a better way. The drop doesn't really add anything positive to the song and I feel like the song could've profited from a 3rd verse, a c-part or something before the final chorus. I won't change the station if it's played on the radio, but it's nothing I would choose as my favorite song at a party ;) .
    Regarding the music video: It was not what I was expecting for the song. I would've imagined a big city or party scenario and Sam Smith looking at it in a melancholic way - like sitting in a car watching all the bright lights etc. passing by and him thinking of his love matters instead. I have to say that I totally get where Mainshow is arguing from: In an ideal world, homosexuality is nothing more than a sexual preference that says nothing about a person's political interests, his/her hobbies or his choice of fashion. LGBT opponents believe that there is a certain gay 'lifestyle' that indicates that once you're a man who's into men, you're supposed to represent all those existing clichés. Especially in the pop music world, there are a couple of homosexual musicians, but I can only think of Ricky Martin as a man who represents the more masculine side of homosexual manhood. It's mostly homosexual teenagers who need public rolemodels that tell them that they can be who they wanna be - and this also means that they don't need to be 'flamboyant' in order to have allies in the LGBT community. To sum it up, 'free openly out' can be misinterpreted, though I don't think that it was @'Loveguru's intention to offend anyone.

4/10
    ~ representing the LBC ~

Legend
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)

by » Sat July 20th, 2019, 21:44

I love the video. And I agree with @Loveguru here. Yes, there were "gay" songs before. Most noticeable "HIM".
    But this video shows a part we haven't seen before and surely not from his singles. No one is gonna miss this time he is gay.
    Yes, @Mathematician not every gay man acts like this, but for those who have this side, it's way harder to find role models and find artists that will break down walls. So I applaude Sam Smith for this.
    My Instagram... - Click here

by » Sun July 21st, 2019, 19:25

His best song since 'Latch' with Disclosure. The choreography in the video is great: very stylish and elegant, and I love the lighting. I might check for him again this era around if the other material is of this quality.

Legend
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)

by » Sun July 21st, 2019, 21:45

Mariah Carey tweeted she loves the song.
    My Instagram... - Click here

by » Mon July 22nd, 2019, 08:01

Quote Originally Posted by RayRay View Post
    Mariah Carey tweeted she loves the song.
    Mariah Approved
    Forever Young

by » Mon July 22nd, 2019, 14:58

Ok. I LOVE this!! I've loved his last 3 singles!