Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lil Nas X :: The "7" Era

Legend
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)

by » Sat July 13th, 2019, 13:49

Quote Originally Posted by marcsgirl85 View Post
    the record was going to be broken sometime though record sales in general are down sharply for example Carrie Underwood's debut album some hearts is the bet selling in the history of American Idol 8x platinum in US and 9 million copies Worldwide while her 2015 album Storyteller sold 750 K in the US and 1 million worldwide while Taylor Swift's Best seller is 2008's Fearless shipping 10 million in the US and 12 million worldwide while for example her lowest seller is 2017's Reputation 3 million in the US and 4.5 million worldwide mind you Taylor's sold 43+ million albums worldwide while Carrie's sold about 20 million albums worldwide
    Seriously, what does all that have to do with this song???

I’ve noticed you usually post chart info that, while interesting, it’s always really really off topic.

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Sat July 13th, 2019, 14:03

@nympho Is Old Time Road so really not popular in Spain?
    When I look at the charts peaks #62 peak just snap in my eyes.
    I know there are two versions, but I don't think there will be a dramatic difference if they were combined.

Legend
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)

by » Sat July 13th, 2019, 14:14

Quote Originally Posted by floria View Post
    @nympho Is Old Time Road so really not popular in Spain?
    When I look at the charts peaks #62 peak just snap in my eyes.
    I know there are two versions, but I don't think there will be a dramatic difference if they were combined.
    Yep... So far, pretty much a non event. Not viral at all.

Although today (!!!) it’s a candidate to enter Los 40 Principales chart, so it’ll start receiving more airplay from now on.

But regarding charts... This week there are only 10 songs in English in our Top 100, so it’s more difficult for English songs to peak high.

by » Mon July 15th, 2019, 15:18

Quote Originally Posted by JeremySpears View Post
    oh he missed out on the number 1 spot
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

by » Mon July 15th, 2019, 17:12

OSD never had a remix that late into its run. so that's that on that.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Mon July 15th, 2019, 21:43

Quote Originally Posted by stevyy View Post
    OSD never had a remix that late into its run. so that's that on that.
    No offence intended, but that’s absolute rubbish as an excuse. This song is annihilating the competition with or without that Young Thug remix. One Sweet Day only had radio and physical to conquer, so that’s that? You can’t compare the circumstance, only the achievements.

Legend
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

by » Mon July 15th, 2019, 23:19

Quote Originally Posted by VoReason View Post
    No offence intended, but that’s absolute rubbish as an excuse. This song is annihilating the competition with or without that Young Thug remix. One Sweet Day only had radio and physical to conquer, so that’s that? You can’t compare the circumstance, only the achievements.
    That is not true, we have seen it many times over the past few years how already popular songs get last minute remixes. Even Mariah did that because it has become the norm today, but wasn't in the past. OSD had a physical single with all the remixes (an acapella version of the song) on it.... and that's all that the song has received. OTR already had a remix and now has a new one which gets a lot of traction. Billie Eilish would have surpassed OTR - I am convinced of it looking at the statistics - after OTR had spent its 16th week at #1. Now, OTR is once again ahead on streaming BECAUSE of this remix. That's a fact.

Legend
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

by » Mon July 15th, 2019, 23:20

OH, btw I take everything back, I kind of forgot that Billie Eilish also released a remix. My bad. But it makes a mockery out of charts achievements in my opinion.

Legend
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

by » Wed July 17th, 2019, 01:40

7/20/19 Billboard 200

https://www.billboard.com/biz/articl...0-albums-chart

'Revenge of the Dreamers III' Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200 Albums Chart
    by Keith Caulfield on Kuly 14, 2019

Lil Nas X’s 7 falls from No. 2 to No. 4 with 49,000 units (down 21%).

Legend
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 18:47

USA
    BB Club Dance Songs

BB issue 07/27

#43 lw#42 Old town road

Legend
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 21:09

Quote Originally Posted by VoReason View Post
    This song is a true viral hit. One Sweet Day is something I have ever seen mentioned as a historical fact on UKmix, from what I understood the song has been forgotten with time even.
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Legend
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 21:56

Quote Originally Posted by DnBLover View Post
    This song is a true viral hit. One Sweet Day is something I have ever seen mentioned as a historical fact on UKmix, from what I understood the song has been forgotten with time even.
    That's odd... last time I checked it reached the Itunes top 100 in the UK in 2017. It is consistently performed on talent shows, has many viral covers (especially by Asian groups) and ranks among Mariah's (and Boyz II Men's) top 10 most streamed songs and videos. It currently generates 90,642 daily youtube views in her official channel, making it her 4th most watched daily video (7th by overall views). In spring 2020, it is expected to become her 6th video to surpass 200 million views. It will also have reached close to 90 million streams on Spotify by then (61m currently).

The thing is when ppl say this is a forgotten song that nobody listens to (or some ppl add "nobody likes") then it would also mean in turn that Mariah Carey only has 2 songs which people know (WBT and AIWFCIY). OSD leads some of her most streamed songs on Vevo, while it also bests some of her most watched videos on Spotify.

So... ehm... what's the truth?

Legend
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

by » Sat July 20th, 2019, 06:27

The strategy of Sony then for their top acts was to reduce the price of the singles to ensure #1 peaks. Of course, the whole remix thing helping to add points in Hot 100 was not even a thing yet in 1995. I'm sure Mariah would have also been able to benefit from that if that applied in her commercial prime.

Legend
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

by » Sat July 20th, 2019, 06:54

@ One Sweet Day discussion: I'm with DnBLover on this side, though I think it probably depends on where you live. I'd say I'm someone who knows quite a lot of songs, also 'old' songs compared to many other people around my age (or even older). But "One Sweet Day" wasn't a big event over here, it even missed the Top10 and so it's probably not surprising that I don't even have its melody in my head while there are a bunch Mariah songs that I know and like (definitely more than ten) and that were more successful than this over here.

It must be different in the US though.

by » Sun July 21st, 2019, 19:56

We're not taking in consideration the Boyz II men factor, they were huge at that time in US. They both were at their primes.
    Telling about the success in the rest of the world is a non-factor, because we're talking about BB Hot 100 and if OSD lasted those weeks is due to real sales and that's a fact. But we are in a different moment and OTR is a huge hit and records mean to be broken. We should comeback in 24 years to this thread and see if Despacito or OTR are still known.
    Indeed OSD isn't Mariah's signature song

Legend
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

by » Sun July 21st, 2019, 22:40

Quote Originally Posted by delapuerta View Post
    We're not taking in consideration the Boyz II men factor, they were huge at that time in US. They both were at their primes.
    Telling about the success in the rest of the world is a non-factor, because we're talking about BB Hot 100 and if OSD lasted those weeks is due to real sales and that's a fact. But we are in a different moment and OTR is a huge hit and records mean to be broken. We should comeback in 24 years to this thread and see if Despacito or OTR are still known.
    Indeed OSD isn't Mariah's signature song
    I never got the point that OSD's US performance is somehow weakened by the argument the song wasn't huge in another particular country. It's like saying Helene Fischer is unknown in Germany bc she never had a hit in the UK.

OSD was #1 on the singles sales chart for 11 weeks (17 weeks in the top 10) and #1 on the airplay chart for 13 weeks (21 weeks in the top 10).

by » Mon July 22nd, 2019, 01:22

Quote Originally Posted by stevyy View Post
    That is not true, we have seen it many times over the past few years how already popular songs get last minute remixes.
    Stop discrediting Lil Nas' amazing run just because of one remix. Mariah's song was a duet so it also got help.

Quote Originally Posted by DnBLover View Post
    I quite agree, OSD has like 57million streams on Spotify which is very disappointing for a 16 weeks #1 hit / US song of the decade title, quite forgotten if you'd ask me.

This is indeed a viral phenomenom.
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo