Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scooter Braun Buys Taylor Swift's Masters, Drama Ensues

Legend
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 10:36

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike View Post
    This whole thing is interesting but also getting old already because both sides are not really trust worthy
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Loveguru View Post
    even if he is... what has that got to do with buying masters?
    True, it doesn't makes sense lol

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 10:38

Also she is acting like the current own was not problematic anyways. He was problematic when she signed this label.

Cara attacking bieber is exhausting because she went on feminist arguement
    Forever Young

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 10:42

This feels like drama over nothing. This is how the industry works - a label hires someone to record music for them that once submitted, they then own. That’s why labels pay for recording - it’s their product.

You only ever get to keep the masters yourself if you self fund and licence out the recordings and sell only the distribution rights (like Madonna on her last three albums).

The difference is if she doesn’t hold onto the publishing rights to the music. Paul McCartney and the Beatles is probably the most famous example of this - Paul wasn’t pissed he didn’t own the masters to the Beatles, but the fact the band signed away their publishing rights (which is where the bulk of the financial gain is to be made).

Paul was working with MJ in the early 80s and told MJ to keep hold of his publishing rights because of the money they would make him in the long run. MJ then turned the tables and bought all of the Beatles publishing

Superstar
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Manager
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 10:46

Big Machine statement:
    So, it’s time for some truth…

In regard to a post earlier today from Taylor, it’s time to set some things straight.

Taylor’s dad, Scott Swift, was a shareholder in Big Machine Records, LLC. We first alerted all of the shareholders on Thursday, June 20th for an official shareholder’s call scheduled for Tuesday, June 25th. On the 6/25 call the shareholders were made aware of the pending deal with Ithaca Holdings and had 3 days to go over all of the details of the proposed transaction. We then had a final call on Friday, June 28th in which the transaction passed with a majority vote and 3 of the 5 shareholders voting ‘yes’ with 92% of the shareholder’s vote.

Out of courtesy, I personally texted Taylor at 9:06pm, Saturday, June 29th to inform her prior to the story breaking on the morning of Sunday, June 30th so she could hear it directly from me.

I guess it might somehow be possible that her dad Scott, 13 Management lawyer Jay Schaudies (who represented Scott Swift on the shareholder calls) or 13 Management executive and Big Machine LLC shareholder Frank Bell (who was on the shareholder calls) didn’t say anything to Taylor over the prior 5 days. I guess it’s possible that she might not have seen my text. But, I truly doubt that she “woke up to the news when everyone else did”.

I am attaching a few very important deal points in what was part of our official last offer to Taylor Swift to remain at Big Machine Records. Her 13 Management team and attorney Don Passman went over this document in great detail and reported the terms to her in great detail.

Taylor and I then talked through the deal together.

As you will read, 100% of all Taylor Swift assets were to be transferred to her immediately upon signing the new agreement. We were working together on a new type of deal for our new streaming world that was not necessarily tied to ‘albums’ but more of a length of time.

We are an independent record company. We do not have tens of thousands of artists and recordings. My offer to Taylor, for the size of our company, was extraordinary. But it was also all I could offer as I am responsible for dozens of artists’ careers and over 120 executives and their families.

Taylor and I remained on very good terms when she told me she wanted to speak with other record companies and see what was out there for her. I never got in her way and wished her well.

The morning that the new Taylor/UMG announcement was going to be made, she texted me shortly before letting me know that the announcement was coming in a few minutes.

As we both posted on our socials, we saluted each other and cheered each other on.

Taylor had every chance in the world to own not just her master recordings, but every video, photograph, everything associated to her career. She chose to leave.

As to her comments about ‘being in tears or close to it’ anytime my new partner Scooter Braun’s name was brought up, I certainly never experienced that. Was I aware of some prior issues between Taylor and Justin Bieber? Yes. But there were also times where Taylor knew that I was close to Scooter and that Scooter was a very good source of information for upcoming album releases, tours, etc, and I’d reach out to him for information on our behalf. Scooter was never anything but positive about Taylor. He called me directly about Manchester to see if Taylor would participate (she declined).

He called me directly to see if Taylor wanted to participate in the Parkland March (she declined). Scooter has always been and will continue to be a supporter and honest custodian for Taylor and her music.

This is the text Taylor sent to me on Monday, November 19th at 8:57am:

Scott,

I hope this finds you well. Since communication ran dry on our negotiations, I’ve done what I told you I would do and gone out exploring other options. Owning my masters was very important to me, but I’ve since realized that there are things that mean even more to me in the bigger picture. I had a choice whether to bet on my past or to bet on the future and I think knowing me, you can guess which one I chose. I also saw a rare opportunity to effect positive change for a lot of other artists with the leverage I have right now. I know you believe in the same things I do and I’d like to think you would be proud of what I’ve negotiated for in my deal. I wanted to tell you first that I’ll be signing with Lucian. I honestly truly cherish everything you and I have built together and I plan on saying so in my announcement of the new deal. What we accomplished together will be a lasting legacy and a case study on excellent partnerships, and may it continue. I still view you as a partner and friend and I hope you feel the same. Sending you a hug and my most sincere gratitude.

And SO much love,

Taylor

Here is the text I sent on the evening of June 29 at 9:05pm:

Dear Taylor,

Hope all is well and congratulations on the success of your first two singles from “Lover”!

I can’t wait to hear the entire album…

I wanted to pass along to you the same courtesy that you passed along to me in regard to my future.

Tomorrow morning (Sunday, June 30th) at 10a central, the Wall Street Journal will announce that I am entering into a merger/acquisition with Scooter Braun and Ithaca Holdings. This move will give us more pop culture super-power than ever before and I’m so excited about the future.

I want you to know that I will continue to be the proud custodian of your previous works and will continue to keep you and your team abreast of all future plans for releases of you work.

Nothing but the best,

Scott

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 10:47

Yea that is why i am like Taylor signed this earlier....

as a since she knew beatles thing. As a singer song writer she knew her worth and she undersold it so... she should have lived and learnt
    Forever Young

Superstar
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 10:52

That Big Machine statement is good. I still feel that Taylor feels hurt, but she went for some other things trying to secure the best she can for herself and BM went and did the same. It's business people. It's ruthless. This should've been kept between themselves.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Manager
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 10:54

Well she was 15 when she signed her first deal with them I believe?
    The big machine article has screenshots of negotiation points for a new contract and it looks like the new deal would've been that she owns all her masters, videos and photographs at once. I don't know what to believe anymore. Would be easier for me if she didn't put the Lover album promo in her statement... A mess

Legend
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 10:55

I thought it was the german Scooter who purchased the rights. Would have been fun to see the Hi-NRG remixes of Taylor's songs
    Waffles are checked cookies

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 10:57

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBoy View Post
    Well she was 15 when she signed her first deal with them I believe?
    The big machine article has screenshots of negotiation points for a new contract and it looks like the new deal would've been that she owns all her masters, videos and photographs at once. I don't know what to believe anymore. Would be easier for me if she didn't put the Lover album promo in her statement... A mess
    Her parents and also they would have had a lawyer...

this is not new.. news her now she is almost 30.

She would have known better now moving forward.. everyone sacrifices something early in their career sometimes
    Forever Young

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 10:57

when i say everyone.. i am including the very day person in there
    Forever Young

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 11:07

Sorry but it feels like she’s playing the media, saying things her fans expect her to say and acting like the little miss innocent she always tries to be. Taylor, you turn 30 in a few months. It’s time to grow up and stop playing the eternal victim.

Legend
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 11:24

Scooter's wife says Taylor was asked if wanted to buy her masters. If so, she should've bought them, she has loads of money, she can afford them.
    Cha Cha Instructor

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 11:31

The irony is all this is happening after "calm down" with all the name calling again
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 11:33

I read something along the lines of the offer she had from Big Machine was that she would only get the rights to one master for each new album she put out or something weird like that.

Manager
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 11:34

Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy View Post
    Scooter's wife says Taylor was asked if wanted to buy her masters. If so, she should've bought them, she has loads of money, she can afford them.
    I think the problem is they never offered her the masters only. She would've needed to renew her contract with them again. It's not like Scooter only bought her catalague, he had to buy the whole label. The label new that her songs were the thing that even made it worth anything.

Manager
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 11:35

Quote Originally Posted by JimJim View Post
    I read something along the lines of the offer she had from Big Machine was that she would only get the rights to one master for each new album she put out or something weird like that.
    Yes but in their statement, the said they offered her everything at once if she signed again.

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 11:39

I think the problem is they never offered her the masters only. She would've needed to renew her contract with them again. It's not like Scooter only bought her catalague, he had to buy the whole label. The label new that her songs were the thing that even made it worth anything.
    Or maybe it because she wouldnt be able to afford to buy her masters outright so maybe that was a way to negotiate an equal payment out for her.

Taylor has money but she is NOT that rich though to be forking that money out
    Forever Young

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 11:40

Yes but in their statement, the said they offered her everything at once if she signed again.
    I think their statement is half true. I think Taylor's one is half true as well.

I think you need to combine the two and get the whole truth
    Forever Young

"What goes around comes back around my baby"

Manager
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 17:55

Perfectly legal and normal transaction, yet Taylor acts like a victim. Seems like that's her specialty (even to someone like me, who doesn't really follow news about her).

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 18:20

Lol, Taylor girl. You're not the first artist who doesn't own the masters of your songs (and you won't be the last artist under those circumstances either). Stop playing the victim and picking up on stupid dramas every time you have a new album to release.

Honestly this is just another situation where she wants to feel "special".
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 18:21

Taylor is the bully here, she knew what she was doing with that post, trying to make herself look like a victim again, and those puppets that she has on speed dial to back her up... This woman is such a snake.

by » Mon July 1st, 2019, 18:32

She also acts like this guy spent hundreds of millions just to mess with her.

Legend
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Cha Cha Instructor