Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Little Mermaid (Live Remake)

Superstar
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

by » Wed July 3rd, 2019, 21:29

My girls stay bookT. Cant wait for this.
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Legend
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Manager
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

by » Wed July 3rd, 2019, 21:44

Here for Melissa Mccarthy as ursula
    3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!

Manager
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

by » Wed July 3rd, 2019, 22:12

Cue the Disney purists complaining that Ariel wasn't black in the animation in three... two... one...

Manager
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

by » Wed July 3rd, 2019, 22:25

She deserves this this will come out in 84 years though if production starts next year

by » Wed July 3rd, 2019, 22:27

So happy for Halle. Surprised Disney kept it under wraps for so long considering she wasn't even one of the rumored actresses.
    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by » Thu July 4th, 2019, 05:47

Happy for Halle, curious to see it

Superstar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

by » Thu July 4th, 2019, 06:05

As long as she has the signature red hair I don’t care if she’s White, Black or Yellow

Legend
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    9/1/19 - A Date That Will Live In Infamy:
    Quote Originally Posted by ilearnedfromthebest View Post
    Just discovered We Belong Together and love it!

by » Thu July 4th, 2019, 07:27

Yea I want her hair red that is all but here for it
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)

by » Thu July 4th, 2019, 10:25

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLinda View Post
    Cue the Disney purists complaining that Ariel wasn't black in the animation in three... two... one...
    Is not about being purist... It’s about making a live action version similar to the classic animated movie we’ve all watched 1000 times. As they did with Cinderella or Belle.
    And Ariel is a white, ginger girl, and the story is located in Scandinavia.

Can you imagine a live action version of Princess and the Frog with a white girl in New Orleans? Or a white blonde Aladdin?
    There would be a huge call to boycott those films. Please, be honest and tell me you won’t be fuming then and saying it’s racist.

Of course, many will say it’s racism and will play the race card if you dare to say you don’t like her for the role... But Ariel is one of Disney’s most characteristics princess. So a different image in the live action movie is not what many will expect. I’d be saying the same if they had a blonde white girl with short hair or a white girl with curly brown hair to play the role... They’re not the Ariel we all know.

Manager
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

by » Thu July 4th, 2019, 10:52

I agree with this to some extend but the thing is there haven't been any black princesses in the old disney classics for obvious reasons...A mermaid (an imaginary creature) is certainly not the same thing as a girl from New Orleans or Aladdin in arabia, where heritage is important for the story. They went with the same looking girls for many movies already. It is a remake after all, not everything has to be shot for shot. They can still be true to the original plot wise and it will certainly involve CGI therefore the easiest task would be giving her her signature red hair.

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by » Thu July 4th, 2019, 11:25

The Disney version never states a location or where it is, half of the fish wouldn't been in it, if we want to see accuracy.
    Cinderella has been played by Brandy
    We got Once Upon a Time with a hispanic Cinderella, and gave Ursula basically Ariel's backstory in a sense. Then there is descendants with a black Cruella etc.

Fairytales are there to tell stories and learn lessons. The onlt thing the Little Mermaid needs is a mermaid, a love intetest, a sea creature villian and you basically can tell the story.

Don't hold too much on your childhood, the old films are still there and there are various adaptians alreasy with a ted headed white girl.

Princess and the Frog for example has things from black culture waved into the story, so a white, asian or hispanic adaptation would be odd. Same for Aladin which has various elements that make it the way it is, same for even to an extend Belle and The Beast which has clear hints to the French setting. Stories like Cinderella, The Little Mermaid and a few others have a far more general setting and characters that more different adaptions while staying true to the original aswell.

by » Thu July 4th, 2019, 13:16

yeah. "original" tale was like 200 years ago. Diseny's Animation was re-imagination of tale, lots of changes including red hair and ursula and ending, jamaican crap.
    this mermaid tale/myth has very thin connection to race/country/specific culture. it's very fantasy.
    you can't compare this with the story heavily driven by specific culture/race.

and Ursula was inspired by drag queen, I don't see "those people" demanding drag queen casting or angry about melissa mccarthy casting.
    Last edited by Shayonce; Thu July 4th, 2019 at 13:32.

Manager
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

by » Thu July 4th, 2019, 13:35

...I‘m done with it already. I‘m not the biggest fan of those live action movies anyway so it’s okay.

I can’t at black Disney stans on Twitter pointing their fingers at "racists" when they literally cried for YEARS that Ursula has to be black. "Ariel is a fictional character so she can be bla...“ well yeah but Ursula never really existed either so they could make her white, right? Imagine how they‘d act it Disney would cast a white woman as Ursula. :lol.

by » Thu July 4th, 2019, 14:55

Quote Originally Posted by nympho View Post
    Is not about being purist... It’s about making a live action version similar to the classic animated movie we’ve all watched 1000 times. As they did with Cinderella or Belle.
    And Ariel is a white, ginger girl, and the story is located in Scandinavia.

Can you imagine a live action version of Princess and the Frog with a white girl in New Orleans? Or a white blonde Aladdin?
    There would be a huge call to boycott those films. Please, be honest and tell me you won’t be fuming then and saying it’s racist.

Of course, many will say it’s racism and will play the race card if you dare to say you don’t like her for the role... But Ariel is one of Disney’s most characteristics princess. So a different image in the live action movie is not what many will expect. I’d be saying the same if they had a blonde white girl with short hair or a white girl with curly brown hair to play the role... They’re not the Ariel we all know.
    you can make a white version of princess and the frog. We are cool with that

the bish is a frog 80% of the movie
    Forever Young

Manager
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

by » Thu July 4th, 2019, 14:58

Quote Originally Posted by JeremySpears View Post
    ...I‘m done with it already. I‘m not the biggest fan of those live action movies anyway so it’s okay.

I can’t at black Disney stans on Twitter pointing their fingers at "racists" when they literally cried for YEARS that Ursula has to be black. "Ariel is a fictional character so she can be bla...“ well yeah but Ursula never really existed either so they could make her white, right? Imagine how they‘d act it Disney would cast a white woman as Ursula. :lol.
    It was also revealed that Melissa McCarthy will be ursula.. have you seen any reaction?

by » Thu July 4th, 2019, 15:46

I believe the story is Caribbean based, so I believe Disney is correcting their story whether then race-bending the character. My thoughts!!!
    Diva!!!

Roadie
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

by » Thu July 4th, 2019, 16:31

Quote Originally Posted by TIfan View Post
    I believe the story is Caribbean based, so I believe Disney is correcting their story whether then race-bending the character. My thoughts!!!

The story is most certainly not Caribbean based.
    The Disney movie was based on a Hans Christian Andersen story which takes place under/around the Baltic sea.
    But honestly in the end, who cares. The movie is for the most part under the sea (Atlantica, a fictional place to begin with) and in my book it could be set anywhere and skin color doesn't matter.
    However! I do think the choice of making Ariel a black girl might be a forced choice.
    These Disney remakes are all about inclusion and I initially thought they might make Ursula black(She's purple in the animated movie), but making the villain black and the heroin white would obviously not be the best choice considering the backlash it would get.
    Honestly, I just think these Disney remakes are worthless to begin with, but if they're going to do them they might as well adjust to our current times.
    If you wanna see Ariel the way you want her to see, just rewatch the old movie.
    You hate the heat, you got the blues
    You're changing like the weather, oh, that's so like you

https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeveren-1

Superstar
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

by » Thu July 4th, 2019, 17:53

Sure, Sebastian sounds a lot like a Swedish guy.

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by » Thu July 4th, 2019, 18:09

Quote Originally Posted by Hejira View Post
    The story is most certainly not Caribbean based.
    The Disney movie was based on a Hans Christian Andersen story which takes place under/around the Baltic sea.
    The movie was based loosely on that story. Flounder is a tropical fish, sabastian is from the caribbean etc. and those do not appear in the Baltic sea and also not in the original Hans Christian story.The original story also had a lot of elements removed and the plot has altered aswell.
    Princess and the Frog is also based on the original The Frog Prince story, but their adaptation takes place in New Orleans and added other elements. While the original story is far more simplistic and took place somewhere in Europe.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

by » Thu July 4th, 2019, 18:13

Quote Originally Posted by KEY9481 View Post
    Sure, Sebastian sounds a lot like a Swedish guy.
    That's the animated Disney movie. The original story did not have a Sebastian.
    What I'm trying to say is, Disney took these folk stories and transformed them to fit with the times, so it's only natural for them to take this movie and bring it into these modern times.

We can take these stories and adapt them in every way possible, that's the nice thing about fairytales.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

by » Thu July 4th, 2019, 18:14

Quote Originally Posted by IVyoncé View Post
    The movie was based loosely on that story. Flounder is a tropical fish, sabastian is from the caribbean etc. and those do not appear in the Baltic sea and also not in the original Hans Christian story.The original story also had a lot of elements removed and the plot has altered aswell.
    Princess and the Frog is also based on the original The Frog Prince story, but their adaptation takes place in New Orleans and added other elements. While the original story is far more simplistic and took place somewhere in Europe.

You should read my post again.

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by » Thu July 4th, 2019, 18:15

Quote Originally Posted by Hejira View Post
    That's the animated Disney movie. The original story did not have a Sebastian.
    What I'm trying to say is, Disney took these folk stories and transformed them to fit with the times, so it's only natural for them to take this movie and bring it into these modern times.

We can take these stories and adapt them in every way possible, that's the nice thing about fairytales.
    Agreed