Thread: Hayley Kiyoko - I Wish

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 00:00

From Billboard: On Thursday (July 18), Kiyoko dropped her new single "I Wish," a moody pop jam about unrequited love and the desire to move past it. The song’s stuttering beat, along with Kiyoko’s stellar-as-always vocals, compliment her scathing lyrics as she chastises her crush’s behavior.

Along with the new track, Kiyoko released an impressive video. Continuing her work as a director, the star sets up a The Craft-style scene, where a group of schoolgirls meet up to perform a magic ritual to help Kiyoko forget about a girl.

Legend
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

by » Fri July 19th, 2019, 23:28

^ Love the video. Hayley always has great concepts for her music. The song is really great too, not her best, but a nice continuation from the sound of Expectations. I need another 'What I Need' though, one of my most played songs in 2018!

Manager
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

by » Sat July 20th, 2019, 01:03

It’s okay but it didn’t blow me away tbh

by » Sat July 20th, 2019, 02:10

Quote Originally Posted by crazycool View Post
    ^ Love the video. Hayley always has great concepts for her music. The song is really great too, not her best, but a nice continuation from the sound of Expectations. I need another 'What I Need' though, one of my most played songs in 2018!
    YES! I was thinking the same thing: it's not a drastic/jarring change from her last era, but it doesn't just sound like a re-hash of anything on Expectations either. "What I Need" was a highlight for me too, but "Curious" is my most played from that album.

I can't stop replaying the video - that choreography has me hypnotized!

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by » Sat July 20th, 2019, 06:23

I am not really liking this too much

by » Sat July 20th, 2019, 19:05

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike View Post
    Hmm... this is not bad, the video gives me major New Rules vibes to be honest.
    OoOh...that hadn't crossed my mind, but now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if "New Rules" was an influence here (in addition to the themes/aesthetic from The Craft). Dua's impact! Some of the dance moves on display in "I Wish" seem more tricky/complex, but the sequences where the girls are all resting their heads on each other in a line are pretty similar (along with the overall concept of a group of female friends deftly dancing away the pain together).

Manager
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

by » Sat July 20th, 2019, 20:35

For me the video is a mix of new rules and black magic. That's not a bad thing though
    3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!

Forever Young