Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Did it live up to the hype...Beyonce - 4?

Legend
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 15:51

I hope that this topic will be fine, I'm fully aware that we have a lot of these kind of topics in Mad About Music at the moment, however providing that they are thriving on constructive discussion, I see no problems in having one more!

So the purpose of this topic is to leave feedback on the album/era at hand - I'll choose a new album/era every few days, typically a major release, and then we can all discuss whether it lived up to the hype. This topic will concern major releases only, like I said, however I'll try and make it as diverse as possible

Criteria for album/era selection:

The album at the centre of the discussion needs to be at least 3 months old
    There will never be two albums from the same artist consecutively
    A new album will typically be trialled every 4 or 5 days

Questions to ask yourself when considering your response

Did the sales justify the hype?
    Did the quality reflect the interest?
    Did the artist get lost amongst their own hype? Did this affect the final product?
    Were the singles a poor reflection of the album, and indirectly sabotage the public perception?
    Were the wrong or right singles chosen?
    Did the promotion surrounding the album ruin its perception with you?

Or you can just ignore all of that sh!t, and say whatever you like! Now the important part - upon leaving your comment, simply add either a + [positive] or a - [negative] at the end, and I'll tally the results up at the end. If it has more +'s than -'s, then the answer to the question is yes, the album lived up to the hype!

RIHANNA - LOUD

The first album being trialled is LOUD by Rihanna; the barbados born superstar broke so many records with this era, generally from the perspective of the singles, and she's seemingly regained any ground that she lost during the Rated R debacle.

Has the album/era lived up to the hype?

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 16:35

slight off-topic: isn't "debacle" a bit harsh to describe Rated R? sure, it was no GGGB, but it still spawned 3 US Top 10's, 2 UK Top 10's...went Platinum here, 2x Platinum in the UK (I believe). oh well, not a big deal, I guess I'm just a bit defensive cause I love RR so much. ;)

aaaany rate, in regards to Loud, I would definitely say YES. In the US, I believe it had her biggest opening week sales yet and has now become her 2nd-best selling album here (behind GGGB). isn't it something like 4-5x Platinum in the UK already? personally, I don't think "Only Girl" is QUITE as great as "SOS" or "Umbrella", but that said, the single choices have still been pretty perfect (hard to argue with 3 US No. 1's and 3 UK Top 3's) until CKB/MD. looking back, they should've stuck with CKB internationally but maybe "Cheers" instead in the US.

+

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 16:43

Well it has been a successful album and many hits which are good, but most of the tracks become so boring after a while. I hardly play it anymore & it's quite a dissapointment after Rated R which is still amazing & I'm always playing it. I think after the re-release she needs to take her time with her next album and take more risks rather than the generic pop songs that become hits but become really annoying.

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 16:52

It lived up to the hype after Rated R didn't do that well. However, i guess she just tried too hard and a bit too overexposure.
    She just keeps making hits but sadly, many of them are very forgettable. Also how she's so hungry to get many #1s as fast as she can with many tactics like Only Girl's price discount or invited Britney for S&M remix. Those tactics are okay (Mariah also did it!!!), but i hope she can make more songs which don't burn out quickly like Umbrella, Unfaithful, Don't Stop The Music, or Take A Bow. And of course i prefer more SOLO #1s from her, not too many collaborations.

Legend
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 17:03

Anyone who says this hasn't lived up to hype (at least commercially), is living in denial.
    Multiple #1s, several certifications, great sales in the UK, etc.
    However, I did think the quality of the songs was a bit disappointing. "Cheers", "What's My Name" & "Man Down" are fantastic, plus there are other good songs (Raining Men, etc.), but overall it was a bit of a let down if we compare it to Rated R. Oh well, her voice has really impressed this era so I'll have to give it a +
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Legend
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 17:06

Yes, this album is what she needed, and I'm glad she was able to deliver very well. Rated R had great, promising tracks, the overall concept (sound, production, lyrics) was also amazing but the image came across as too contrived for me, it reminded me of a less convincing and weaker Stripped (Christina Aguilera).

Loud lived up to the hype and it brought back the feel-good uptempo sounds (and Caribbean flavor) of the Rihanna everyone loved. I also loved the variation of songs (Only Girl, What's My Name, California King Bed, Raining Men, Love the Way You Life) in this album.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 17:20

*Double Post*
    Photoshoot fresh... I'm about to call the paparazzi on myself.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 17:27

LOUD was undisputably a commercial juggernaut, and it took her straight back to the top, after the commercial dud that was Rated R.

However, most of the album, bar the 5 singles that were released, have not held up well at all, unlike on Rated R, where most of the songs still sound as fresh today as they did when the album was released (Cold Case Love, Photographs).

We were promised a 'Thriller'-like album full of those "every song could be a single" type of songs.Instead, we got 5 solid tracks, and a sea of frothy R&B midtempos that really...go absolutely nowhere.
    I loved her image though.I love Rihanna when she's cheerful & upbeat.Shame about the (subpar) music though.
    Still, it's a solid addition to Rihanna's discography, but musically, she failed to deliver, at least to me, so i'll give it a (-).
    Photoshoot fresh... I'm about to call the paparazzi on myself.

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 18:00

YES, at least commercially. People thought she was on pretty shaky ground with the "Rated R" era and even with "Rude Boy" being a smash, the album still didn't live up to "GGGB" standards.

With this album it was suppose to be the return of the Rihanna that we all loved (happy, upbeat) and that's what we got with the lead single. The album wasn't as commercial and hit-filled as promised but with 3 #1 singles and outselling "Rated R", I think this was a return to form.

+

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 18:41

This is a fantastic album!
    For me.

Legend
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 18:43

Darlings, you're forgetting the most important part! You're missing the + or - sign's off the end of your comments!

As per the opening post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    Now the important part - upon leaving your comment, simply add either a + [positive] or a - [negative] at the end, and I'll tally the results up at the end. If it has more +'s than -'s, then the answer to the question is yes, the album lived up to the hype!

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 18:47

Quote Originally Posted by Wmosi
    Still, it's a solid addition to Rihanna's discography, but musically, she failed to deliver, at least to me, so i'll give it a (-).
    This, just commercials songs but she failed to deliver musically.

Legend
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 18:53

Oops! Definitely a + for me.

Legend
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 18:58

Quote Originally Posted by GetBack
    Oops! Definitely a + for me.
    Thank you <3

Legend
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 19:01

I think it is a bland album which pales in comparison to Rated R.

The music is not very original.. it's Rihanna jumping on the electro-wagon (without adding anything of her own)

California King Bed is easily one of the best songs on the album because it's not following the electro hype so much.

Sure, this album and singles have all been VERY successful and if she would release another single with a remix which stars a big guest-artist, I'm pretty sure it would return to the top 15...

-

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 19:26

Quote Originally Posted by stevyy
    I think it is a bland album which pales in comparison to Rated R.

The music is not very original.. it's Rihanna jumping on the electro-wagon (without adding anything of her own)

-
    Absolutely disagree...besides "Only girl" and maybe "S&M", the album is not electro pop at all... it's very different from one track to another, you have R&B, caribbean sounds, pop rock ballads...

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 19:30

At first, I thought Loud did live up to it's hype. But after listening to it, some songs sound to simple and alike to one another.

So I'm gonna say -
    Keep On Rockin'

Superstar
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 20:20

Yes it's her best album to me. There are 2 songs that I don't like at all but I'd still rate the album an 8/10. It has far better vocals than GGGB and less of the suicidal vibes of RR, which was also a very good album but not as likeable as LOUD. Which genre didn't she try on this album? She mixed it up and had everything ballads, midtempos and uptempos. +

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 20:25

"Rated R" was a lot better. "LOUD" has a bunch of fillers and that's not good when the album is only 11 tracks long.

-

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 20:28

I think commercially it did, but I couldn't help but be disappointed after the artistic triumph of Rated R. To me this was a damage control album to restore her commercial standing (granted, Rude Boi was a #1) after Rated R was only "kind of successful".

Personally I'd give it a - because it is her weakest since A Girl Like Me.

Legend
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 20:42

In my opinion, "Loud" definitely lived up to all the hype. Fans were promised a return to the "Good Girl Gone Bad" era with lots of hit singles, and that's exactly what we got. The album is fantastic, containing only one weak track, "Fading". The lead single, "Only Girl (In The World)" is perhaps the best song she's ever recorded and follow-up hits "What's My Name?" and "S&M" did their job as well. All in all, the album is probably not as strong as "Good Girl Gone Bad" or even "Rated R" for that matter, but it's a solid record and for that, I give it a +.
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, its not an option.

Legend
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 20:45

Okay, this is going much better than I expected, so maybe I'll update it a bit sooner than 5 days.

My opinion on the album is that its above average - certainly a more cohesive effort than what GGGB was, or potentially A Girl Like Me. However, its definitely not as good as Rated R was/is, and I think the singles released so far [not including the awful Man Down] are the best songs on the album; Complicated is definitely the highlight for me. Overall, the era has been great for Rihanna though.

A big + for me!

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 20:45

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    The album is fantastic, containing only one weak track, "Fading".
    I think "Fading", "Skin" and "Raining Men" are all weak. Plus, "Man Down" isn't very good and "Love The Way You Lie (Part II)" is just a slightly different, and slightly worse version of the original Eminem song.

Legend
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 20:47

Oh no Sambo! :( I absolutely adore her solo version of Love The Way You Lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by Thu June 30th, 2011, 20:51

First I want to start with I find this a great topic! Love it!

The content of the album didn't exactly live up to my hype at least. The title "Loud" makes one expect that there will many massive club hits but there are only two real club-bangers, "S&M" & "Only Girl (In the World)". The quality of the album on the other hand lived up to the expectations I think, but nothing more. There are many good songs, two fillers, everything is listenable. But it pales in comparation with "Rated R".

I think the promotion surrounding the album was great, she did some of the finest live performances in her career and helped the singles become great hits. Though with three #1 singles & her prominently being figured on TV & in newspapers the album sales in US could have been alot higher. The success in UK was at the other hand at least for me a big surprise, I didn't expect it all selling 4xPlatinum.

But during the "S&M"-period I grew very tired of her and most songs from the album. "California King Bed" didn't help either, though I think "Man Down" certainly renewed my interest and alot others.

It certainly lived up the hype as being Rihanna "back in form", but if we compare the album sales with the singles chart position and her prominency it failed so it is a borderline case, but I give it a + because her success in UK and Europe has exceded the hype IMO.

+