Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Normani - Motivation

by » Tue August 27th, 2019, 13:54

Quote Originally Posted by abi View Post
    What? Your standards these days are so weird.
    Oh I forgot Missy but are we including her in the pop girls.

Camilla was cute but Shawn brought it down a tad... trying to remember if anyone else was THAT good tbh. Everything was literally unmemorable.

The reason why we are being hard on Normani is she literally has the ONLY perfomance worth watching over more than twice
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

by » Tue August 27th, 2019, 17:30

I would've preferred to have less choreo during the verses as this one really doesn't hide the fact that she's lipsyncing. Plus, just because the choreo works well in music video, doesn't mean it's gonna work live as well. But that's just my opinion.

And you can see in her eyes & expressions that she's nervous as heck, no engagement with the camera or anything. But it's okay though, it is her first major performance so she still has a lot of room to improve!
    I agree with all of this!!! (And this is only if I have to critic it).

She did that!!! I’m so happy she does her homework from the Janet Jackson school of performing arts!

I’m convinced Camilla was messing with my girl’s audio but its okee because God don’t like ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Legend
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

by » Tue August 27th, 2019, 17:43

And y’all are criticizing her like this when y’all stan for the ppl y’all do and the way they perform chiiiiilllllleeeeeeeeee all the iron in that knee.

by » Tue August 27th, 2019, 17:46

Quote Originally Posted by Loveguru View Post
    Oh I forgot Missy but are we including her in the pop girls.

Camilla was cute but Shawn brought it down a tad... trying to remember if anyone else was THAT good tbh. Everything was literally unmemorable.

The reason why we are being hard on Normani is she literally has the ONLY perfomance worth watching over more than twice
    It was all about Normani. I see huge potential in her and everyone seems to be pushing her and wants her to succeed, so I believe that few amazing years are ahead of her.
    Last edited by Bojan; Tue August 27th, 2019 at 17:49.
    JanetInfografic
    Solange | Tame Impala | Kelela | The xx

Superstar
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Haven't been early since '88

Legend
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)

by » Tue August 27th, 2019, 18:33

Her stage presence is lacking, which was most evident when she was solo after the clumsy clothing removal.

Legend
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

by » Tue August 27th, 2019, 20:23

Quote Originally Posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
    I agree with all of this!!! (And this is only if I have to critic it).

She did that!!! I’m so happy she does her homework from the Janet Jackson school of performing arts!

I’m convinced Camilla was messing with my girl’s audio but its okee because God don’t like ugly.

Yeah the audio wasn't the best. The track was skipping at some parts and I feel like the instrumental's volume is too low - which is weird considering the audio for "Love Lies" for her BBMA's performance last year was ON POINT. Anyway, not her fault though.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Wed August 28th, 2019, 02:00

OK. I know some of y'all are going to drag me to hell BUT:

1- She ran outta breath between choreography and the verses.
    2- Her voice is not as potential as some of the gurls that performed yesterday.
    3- is it me or the part of the rain was made digitally? because that didn't look good yesterday.

Was a good performance tho, but she needs to work her habillities if she wants to sing and dance at the same time without looking like me at the gym running out of breath.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Wed August 28th, 2019, 02:02

Yeah the audio wasn't the best. The track was skipping at some parts and I feel like the instrumental's volume is too low - which is weird considering the audio for "Love Lies" for her BBMA's performance last year was ON POINT. Anyway, not her fault though.

maybe they lowered the audio of the track to focus on their voice and not on the backup????

Legend
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

by » Wed August 28th, 2019, 04:17

Quote Originally Posted by basticasas View Post
    maybe they lowered the audio of the track to focus on their voice and not on the backup????
    Hmm I don't know, but what I noticed is that in some award shows, they tend to mute/lower down the volume of the crowd screaming for the TV airing - resulting in them unintentionally drowning some other parts of the audio as well.

I remember watching some fan-recorded footage from the AMA's, I think it was BTS - they guys were clearly singing along live to the backing tracks with some extra adlibs etc., but on TV, because they lowered down the crowd volume, resulting the live vocals being drowned as well so it looked like they're lipsynch-ing. I think it also happened before to Nicki Minaj's "My Chick Bad" performance at the BET Awards a few years ago.
    Last edited by abi; Wed August 28th, 2019 at 04:19.

Legend
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

by » Wed August 28th, 2019, 04:28

^Sorry for a little bit off-topic, but while we're at it, another example of when a live performance doesn't sound the same on TV with what the way it really sounds: Beyonce's 2013 Superbowl performance. The audio sounds perfect on TV (except for Michelle's & Kelly's parts) but inside the venue, the horns in "Crazy in Love" are almost non-existent (starts around 2:18), and some other instruments are missing as well. Weird, but I guess it is what it is. TV performances are way trickier than we thought.

Legend
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

by » Thu August 29th, 2019, 09:33

This is the main problem with acts like Beyoncé and Normani, and majority of the KPOP girl groups today. Technique and showmanship is the focus and not about the feeling evoked from the performance anymore. There are endless discussions on how flawless and seamless it should be, it's always about ticking specific boxes to perfection to gain validation. The magic of pure enjoyment of the performance is gone which is why their performances have no cultural impact in the long run.

by » Thu August 29th, 2019, 14:02

Quote Originally Posted by GetBack View Post
    This is the main problem with acts like Beyoncé and Normani, and majority of the KPOP girl groups today. Technique and showmanship is the focus and not about the feeling evoked from the performance anymore. There are endless discussions on how flawless and seamless it should be, it's always about ticking specific boxes to perfection to gain validation. The magic of pure enjoyment of the performance is gone which is why their performances have no cultural impact in the long run.
    sis sit down
    Forever Young

by » Thu August 29th, 2019, 14:03

sis sit down
    Forever Young

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Thu August 29th, 2019, 18:28

You mean like the Spice Girls ones? Take a sit plz

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Thu August 29th, 2019, 18:31

BTW... Beyoncé doesn't have to dance her ass off to have an iconic and amazing performance...

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by » Thu August 29th, 2019, 19:41

Since when does a fun uptempo urban influenced pop song has to evoke emotion? Most big pop acts from the past whether it is MJ, Janet, Madonna and later on Britney, Usher, Beyoncé etc. etc. have focused on technique and showmanship when they released uptempo songs. And tried to evoke emotion with slower songs.

I mean almost every act does that just like an Leona Lewis evokes emotion with Bleeding Love , while She just had fun and wasn't so serious with Forgive Me. Leona just isn't the type to focus or aspire to be the total package. While acts like Janet, Beyoncé, Normani do.

Legend
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

by » Fri August 30th, 2019, 13:49

There's nothing with her performance, I think she did extremely well but it's just that the song is so stale and that there is no proper climax. She needs to work with producers that can give her a really solid uptempo. There's a reason for her frustration, I mean, the type of music and era she should have been in was sometime from fifteen to twenty years ago.

Legend
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

by » Sat August 31st, 2019, 06:12

Very small chart movements after the VMA's. Thank goodness it keeps growing quite fast on Pop radio!

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Mon September 9th, 2019, 21:47

Still bumping this. Glad to see its moving back up the charts

Manager
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

by » Mon September 9th, 2019, 22:52

It grew on me even more recently tbh.