Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jay Z faces backlash over NFL partnership

Legend
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)

by » Sat August 17th, 2019, 17:17

Backlash over Jay-Z's 'disgusting' NFL partnership

Jay-Z is facing criticism for teaming up with the NFL following anger about the body's response to footballer Colin Kaepernick's 2016 kneeling protest.

The rap star, who once rapped "I said no to the Super Bowl, you need me, I don't need you", will now help select acts for the Super Bowl half-time show.

The deal is meant to "enhance live game experiences and amplify the league's social justice efforts", he said.

Kaepernick's girlfriend said "Jay-Z let them use him", which was "disgusting".

Kaepernick has effectively been frozen out of the game for "taking a knee" during a pre-game national anthem in protest at the treatment of black people in America.

His partner Nessa Diab said the deal had helped to "bury" her boyfriend.

She wrote on Instagram: "We will never turn our backs on @kaepernick7 because your idols decided to work with the same organization that is actively keeping Colin unemployed all because he peacefully protested against social injustice in black and brown communities, specifically police brutality.

"So really, how can Jay-Z and the NFL utter social justice in their partnership while keeping Colin unemployed because of his social justice work?"

She added: "What is disgusting and disappointing is Jay-Z let them use him. Whether Jay-Z knew it or not (I don't doubt his intelligence - so I would think he knew) he helped the NFL bury who he said is an iconic figure."

Kaepernick's former team-mate and Carolina Panthers defensive back Eric Reid tweeted: "Jay-Z knowingly made a money move with the very people who've committed an injustice against Colin and is using social justice to smooth it over with the black community."

Reid was the first player to join Kaepernick in kneeling. The pair filed grievances against the NFL, which were settled out of court in February.

Speaking on Wednesday, the rapper and Roc Nation label boss said the partnership would "inspire change", adding: "This partnership is an opportunity to strengthen the fabric of communities across America. The NFL were willing to do some things, to make some changes, that we can do some good."

Defending the deal, he said: "I think we've moved past kneeling and I think it's time to go into actionable items."

The NFL said the agreement would "nurture and strengthen community through football and music".

However, the The New York Post called it the "perfect cover for NFL's 'social justice' pandering".

The Undefeated added: "No matter where Jay started, he's now got more in common with NFL owners than with NFL players."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49372126

Legend
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)

by » Sat August 17th, 2019, 17:18

I say King will divorce him before ha next album

Still the second worst betrayal of the black race of 2019 behind Dog Scoop Road.
    9/1/19 - A Date That Will Live In Infamy:
    Quote Originally Posted by ilearnedfromthebest View Post
    Just discovered We Belong Together and love it!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

by » Sat August 17th, 2019, 17:32

I fail to see the issue.
    The partnership is basically build to prevent another Kaepernick situation.

by » Sat August 17th, 2019, 17:32

I am no fan of Jay-Z since the beginning of this decade, but the Black community has bigger issues to worry about. There are so many changes that need to be made within the Black community, but the obsession of celebrity-ism will only hold Blacks in America back.

I always knew Jay was a snake and I've started to feel some type of way of his wife as well. Also, lets say NFL players can kneel, what then? How do we fix the murder rate in many Black neighborhood, STD/HIV rate, unemployed rate, violence rate, single parent rate etc????
    Diva!!!

Legend
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)

by » Sat August 17th, 2019, 17:49

Quote Originally Posted by TIfan View Post
    I am no fan of Jay-Z since the beginning of this decade, but the Black community has bigger issues to worry about. There are so many changes that need to be made within the Black community, but the obsession of celebrity-ism will only hold Blacks in America back.

I always knew Jay was a snake and I've started to feel some type of way of his wife as well. Also, lets say NFL players can kneel, what then? How do we fix the murder rate in many Black neighborhood, STD/HIV rate, unemployed rate, violence rate, single parent rate etc????
    Agreed that the kneeling controversy isn’t that important in the grand scheme of things (I hate sports anyway ) but as always, the absolute insensitivity that has been displayed by the entitled and privileged on this issue is abhorrent on so many levels.
    9/1/19 - A Date That Will Live In Infamy:
    Quote Originally Posted by ilearnedfromthebest View Post
    Just discovered We Belong Together and love it!

Manager
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

by » Sun August 18th, 2019, 07:51

It seems to me that the people outraged about this deal are not seeing the bigger picture.

Do African-Americans really think that boycotting the NFL is going to get them anywhere?

Superstar
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)

by » Sun August 18th, 2019, 09:09

^This gives the matter visibility. Jay Z (and his loved B) has always been business first. No wonder he eats his words, support and "views" when money comes knocking.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

by » Sun August 18th, 2019, 09:34

I don't get the backlash either. Jay's right, it's been 3 years since Colin kneeled, nothing changed. People still diss NFL but they'll gladly watch/play. He wants to make change, and he's proved numerous times how he's fighting for social justice/police brutality/prison reform.

He's rumoured to become an owner of an NFL team as well. Wouldn't be surprised if that happens and he puts Colin on it.

People just need to chill.
    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

by » Sun August 18th, 2019, 11:58

Glad that Rihanna dragged him for this.

He is such an opportunistic snake with no values.

Beyonce should also finally grow a spine and stand up to him.
    Last edited by aRat; Sun August 18th, 2019 at 12:00.
    The virtue of stanning talent & having qualitea taste: DUA LIPA ♪ RIHANNA ♪ MADONNA
    #NO DUSTY DIVAS ALLOWED

by » Sun August 18th, 2019, 12:44

Quote Originally Posted by aRat View Post

What did she say? I cant find it.
    Diva!!!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

by » Sun August 18th, 2019, 13:09

She did not say shit.
    Brave Rihanna only liked stuff on Instagram.

by » Sun August 18th, 2019, 13:21

Quote Originally Posted by aRat View Post

Everyone knows he's a snake, and she's not that far behind him!

Legend
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

by » Sun August 18th, 2019, 16:55

Quote Originally Posted by KEY9481 View Post
    I fail to see the issue.
    The partnership is basically build to prevent another Kaepernick situation.
    It's built for the Carters to fill their pockets and the NFL to spruce up their image ahead of the new season. Anyone who doesn't see through that is naive.

If they were serious about 'preventing another Kaepernick', they'd apologize to him and guarantee freedom of expression to all players.

Legend
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

by » Sun August 18th, 2019, 17:15

It's not really that surprising considering JAY-Z's continuous flopping for quite some time now which began with TIDAL.

Legend
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

by » Sun August 18th, 2019, 17:53

Quote Originally Posted by Rihab View Post
    It's built for the Carters to fill their pockets and the NFL to spruce up their image ahead of the new season. Anyone who doesn't see through that is naive.

If they were serious about 'preventing another Kaepernick', they'd apologize to him and guarantee freedom of expression to all players.
    Exactly. I’m so disappointed.
    I wish Bey would distance herself from this mess.
    "I see it, I like it, I want it... I GOT IT."

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

by » Sun August 18th, 2019, 18:03

He has some cleaning to do because this does not look good for him at all
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Legend
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

by » Sun August 18th, 2019, 18:14

I'm a massive fan of Jay's.....and maybe he does think he can actually do something good, but this isn't a good look and ju$t makes him seem like a hypocrite.

Manager
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

by » Sun August 18th, 2019, 23:31

Quote Originally Posted by DnBLover View Post
    He has some cleaning to do because this does not look good for him at all
    Truth
    3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!

by » Mon August 19th, 2019, 01:02

So the nfl isn’t allowed to try any creative ways to redeem itself ever?

by » Mon August 19th, 2019, 04:48

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmusik View Post
    I'm a massive fan of Jay's.....and maybe he does think he can actually do something good, but this isn't a good look and ju$t makes him seem like a hypocrite.
    AMEN

Whitney Houston

by » Mon August 19th, 2019, 07:01

Quote Originally Posted by Nippian93 View Post
    Drag that fool y'all.
    Drag her as well, she'd have known about it and agreed to it. So she's in the same position.
    Their fans think they're the golden couple, but this shows they're definitely not!

by » Mon August 19th, 2019, 08:59

Quote Originally Posted by Parkelife View Post
    Drag her as well, she'd have known about it and agreed to it. So she's in the same position.
    Their fans think they're the golden couple, but this shows they're definitely not!

They are both more fake than a 3 dollar bill.
    Whitney Houston

Manager
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)

by » Mon August 19th, 2019, 09:07

Let it all out sistrens. Hate doesn't do the human body any good. I'm glad we have found another story to confirm your opinions on the carters. It would be crazy to wait and see what the partnership might lead to or what kind of announcements are to come regarding goals and what happens with Koppernick (which I'm sure 80% in here don't even care about).
    I always knew Jay was trash, fake and disgusting oh and while were at it his wife and kids must be too then!

by » Mon August 19th, 2019, 11:59

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmusik View Post
    It doesn't look good but people haven't even given him an opportunity to do anything though.
    Forever Young