X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mugen
    Legend
    • 28 May 2007

Maya Hawke - To Love a Boy/Stay Open

“To Love a Boy” is the A-side from Hawke’s recently released debut single. Both “To Love a Boy”and the B-side “Stay Open” were written and recorded by Hawke and Jesse Harris (who has written for Lana Del Rey and Norah Jones, among others). You can hear Hawke’s “Stay Open” below.Speaking with Pitchfork, Maya Hawke said of “To Love a Boy”:

After seeing the movie Call Me by Your Name for the second time, I left the theater and I was walking home to my apartment in Brooklyn, and I just started thinking about the images of water and the romantic feeling in that movie. I was just filled with this intense jealousy and desire be in love and feel that way. Then I wrote the lyrics to “To Love a Boy” as a poem, and I sent them to Jesse Harris, and he wrote that melody, and I loved it. It’s about this dream reality where you could love somebody in an all-consuming way, where it feels like when you’re swimming in the ocean on a hot summer day.
    When I was brainstorming about the video, I started thinking about a mermaid coming ashore and wanting to love a boy as much as she loved the ocean. Then I decided the video would be more interesting if the love interest of the video was the ocean, and it was about her pursuit to get back to the ocean. I’m a professional actor, but I’m not a professional musician, so I wanted to do the whole thing really not professionally. So I spent all my own money to make the video and I had to rent the mermaid costume, which ended up being incredibly shitty, but in a way that I think is really funny.
    From Pitchfork

• basticasas
    Legend
    • 01 Mar 2019

WOW THIS IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

Comment

Working...