Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FKA twigs - Magdalene

Legend
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

by » Mon September 2nd, 2019, 13:35

fka twigs returns with her sophomore album Magdalene, due november 8 via young turks

TRACKLIST
    01 thousand eyes
    02 home with you
    03 sad day
    04 holy terrain (feat. Future)
    05 mary magdalene
    06 mirrored heart
    07 fallen alien
    08 daybed
    09 cellophane

vinyl + bundles

includes the singles cellophane, holy terrain, home with you and sad day

Superstar
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)

by » Mon September 2nd, 2019, 13:44

OMG! Yes!
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Superstar
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

by » Mon September 2nd, 2019, 14:27

Come thru, queen!!!

Roadie
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

by » Mon September 2nd, 2019, 14:42

Yes, mama, yyyyeeeeeeessssss!
    The sands of time fade into dark
    Feel your pulse it's groove o'clock
    A message to madness
    Feel music that's realness

Manager
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

by » Mon September 2nd, 2019, 15:01

love the title

Superstar
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)

by » Mon September 2nd, 2019, 15:23

I can't find any info about this? Any source?

Legend
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

by » Mon September 2nd, 2019, 17:13

Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    I can't find any info about this? Any source?
    New interview and cover story with i-D. I didn't bother posting it cause it's a hassle on mobile.

Below are some excerpts from the piece in which twigs talks about the LP. The whole thing is well worth reading though.

Quote Originally Posted by twigs via i-D
    "Cellophane" is taken from Twigs’s second, long-awaited album, Magdalene, which she’s currently gearing up to release via Young Turks this fall. Fans who attended her mindblowing theatre tour of the same name this summer will already be familiar with the record’s vulnerability.
    Work began on Magdalene, which she produced predominantly with Nicolas Jaar, alongside other contributors, three years ago. It came to fruition between London, New York and Los Angeles, where she indulged in a period of solitude, taking to wearing long medieval dresses and wandering around by herself. “I was in a sad place, mentally,” she says, “and I didn’t want to come out of it. I don’t have many friends there, and wasn’t communicating with my friends or family here. I just went and locked myself off.”

“The record is about every lover that I’ve ever had, and every lover that I’m going to have,” she says. Musically, she describes it as “just when you think it’s really fragile and about to fall apart, there’s an absolute defiance and strength in a way that my work’s never had before”. If previously, Twigs was seen as something otherworldly, now she’s right there in front of us, pouring her heart out. “It’s really fragile. I made it at a time when I was in recovery – physically and emotionally – and I think that comes through.” The intense vulnerability of the record contrasts with just how precise and superhuman her talent is.
    “I used to laugh to myself about how, as a woman, your story is often attached to the narrative of a man,” she explains. “No matter what you’re doing or how great your work is, sometimes it’s as though you have to be attached to a man to be validated. I’d felt like that at times. And then I started to read about Mary Magdalene and how amazing she was; how she was likely to have been Jesus’s best friend, his confidante. She was a herbalist and a healer, but, you know, her story is written out of the bible and she was ‘a prostitute’. I found a lot of power in the story of Mary Magdalene; a lot of dignity, a lot of grace, a lot of inspiration.”
    Album opener "1000 Eyes" sets the tone for the record; a choral a capella bringing about the threat of change, the end of a relationship. ‘It’s gonna be cold with all those eyes,’ her distressed falsetto preempts over and over. A static bass builds up into a drone, while the vocal grows as disjointed as Twigs felt at the time of writing. “I thought,” she says, breaking down the song, “that if I was anything less than perfect I was going to be completely torn apart publicly.” This is heartbreaking, considering that despite spending the past seven years in the public eye, and navigating two high-profile relationships, it seems to observers that Twigs has managed to retain an impressive amount of privacy. Shunning interviews and avoiding press opportunities in lieu of walking her rescue dog Solo or practicing in a dance studio somewhere, mystique seems to surround the musician.
    "Holy Terrain", featuring Future, will undoubtedly receive the most attention. A dark, sexy, witchy trap tune, it’s a new direction for Twigs. After getting hold of Future’s number, she did what any of us would do and casually dropped him a text.

“I wasn’t sure whether he would even know who I am. I was like, ‘Hi, it’s Twigs. Let me know if you wanna talk about music or anything.’ He texted back right away and I was like…” Twigs throws her phone onto the sofa beside her suddenly. “‘Oh my god, he’s just messaged me back!’ He’s such a sweetheart. I sent him the album and I called him up and was like, ‘Listen, Future… this is what my album’s about. It’s a really empowering, sensitive record, with a lot of feminine energy, and this song is probably the most fun track on it, but I still need lyrical content.’ And he said, ‘Okay, I’ve got it’. And his verse is beautiful,” she says. “He’s just talking about his downfalls as a man; how he’s sorry and asking for healing. I love sad Future. I love when he gets emo, when he expresses himself. It’s just so beautiful when he opens up.”
    "Sad Day" is like if Opus III’s 1992 dance hit "It’s A Fine Day" ran into Kate Bush on a hillside. “I find it neurotic,” Twigs says of the vocal hook. “It’s all on the same note, it’s creepy. It’s asking, in the monotony of your life, would you take a chance on someone for something bigger? Would you take a risk on love and possibly being hurt again?” There are more glitchy Kate Bush vibes on " Mary Magdalene", which opens with a warped piano solo and moves onto reflections on female power.
    One of her favourites to perform, "Home With You", touches on demanding attention; “It’s about relationships. People are just quite needy, aren’t they?” she says. “It’s so fun and beautiful to sing. Those big strings at the end – it’s like flying with your voice!” " Mirrored Heart" is a tear-soaked piano ballad, full of pain and conflict. “Oh, it’s so sad, isn’t it?” Twigs asks. “Usually I’m a mess when I sing it. I cry every time. It’s actually really nice crying on stage. I always know it’s coming.”
    Then there's "Daybed", which feels reflective, accepting and calm. “When I wrote it,” Twigs says, “I knew that the whole of my life was about to fall apart. Everything that I knew, all my stability and everything I was attached to… everything was about to ******* go.” A pretty horrific moment, then? “But it’s not an angry song. It’s like, wow, this is life. It’s gonna happen. I’m gonna lose everything and have to build it back up again.” The lyric ‘possessive is my daybed’, she says, is about when you’re lying on your sofa lost in thought, and you just can’t move. “Have you ever had that?” she asks. “Everything in the room becomes really abstract. Like when you say a word over and over again and it starts to lose its meaning. Like that, but with your room or your house or just… everything. You just start to see things in a different order. Everything has a place and a harmony and all you can do is let it happen, let it wash over you.”
    With the album on the verge of release, does she still feel some kind of affinity with its namesake? “Not in a ‘this is my alter-ego’ kind of way. It’s not a concept album,” she says with a laugh. “It’s not. She just helped me get somewhere. She helped me think differently. It’s done now. I can let it go.”

A couple of weeks ago, Twigs made a pilgrimage to Glastonbury, where the Saint Michael leyline meets the beautiful ruins of a religious building above the Mary Magdalene chapel. “I went and I meditated on it,” she says. “She didn’t inspire the whole album, but she inspired a train of thought which helped me finish it. We went up to the top of a hill during the eclipse and everyone was screaming at the moon. It was really amazing that I was able to say ‘thank you and goodnight’, you know?”

Superstar
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)

by » Mon September 2nd, 2019, 17:16

Quote Originally Posted by Blondini View Post
    Thank you! I need that pre-order now.

Legend
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)

by » Mon September 2nd, 2019, 19:00

Cellophane was some sort of fragile masterpiece in the end (and that video ), looking forward to this.

Manager
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

by » Mon September 9th, 2019, 12:44

I’ve just seen a supposed cover and it’s disturbing

Legend
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)

by » Mon September 9th, 2019, 13:23

Cellophane is too forgettable. I am hoping for something more instant.
    DRINK. SMOKE. DANCE. VIBE A LITTLE BIT | My last.fm

Superstar
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

by » Mon September 9th, 2019, 15:55

uhm

Superstar
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)

by » Mon September 9th, 2019, 16:27

Wait, is that a cover? I don't know what to think about it. She has aced every cover so far (not counting EP1 of course). LP1 is just amazing - especially on LP all big and looks like a work of art, M3L155X is great too. And she had some amazing photoshoots since she released Cellophane...

I kind of thought the cover will have something to do with the pirate look she has on her new profile pics - maybe that's just for the new single...

Legend
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)

by » Mon September 9th, 2019, 16:53

Horrible cover but kind of expected as she likes some sort of special aesthetics.

I‘m a bit disappointed that it’s only 8 tracks long.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)

by » Mon September 9th, 2019, 17:07

Quote Originally Posted by Loose View Post
    I‘m a bit disappointed that it’s only 8 tracks long.
    9 tracks.

1 thousand eyes

2 home with you

3 sad day

4 holy terrain ft. Future

5 mary magdalene

6 fallen alien

7 mirrored heart

8 daybed

9 cellophane
    EDIT: Total runtime 38 min 48 sec.
    Last edited by beredy; Mon September 9th, 2019 at 17:09.

Legend
    Mentioned
    273 Post(s)

by » Mon September 9th, 2019, 18:27

She has some brilliant visuals, so this is a very disappointing cover

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by » Mon September 9th, 2019, 18:39

Where’s the song bih?
    Quote Originally Posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Superstar
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)

by » Mon September 9th, 2019, 18:48

Quote Originally Posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
    Where’s the song bih?
    In 42 min. You can go to YT, there's a countdown and the video will show up.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)

by » Tue September 10th, 2019, 06:42

Holy Terrain is amazing. So poetic and straightforward.

Manager
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

by » Tue September 10th, 2019, 12:57

The cover is nice if you crop it and only take the right side of it. Like crop it at her nose and just use the right side of it and it looks brilliant. But as a whole it looks weird.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)

by » Tue September 10th, 2019, 13:30

Quote Originally Posted by LotsOfLove View Post
    The cover is nice if you crop it and only take the right side of it. Like crop it at her nose and just use the right side of it and it looks brilliant. But as a whole it looks weird.
    I've also come to the conclusion it's the crop that's the problem. She has these posters, scarfs on her official site and it's a series of pictures with the whole body and I'm really digging those as the proportions of the body fit. But this crop and the way the neck connects to the body here just looks weird and off.

Legend
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

by » Tue September 10th, 2019, 13:46

Am I the only one who adores the album cover? I love how it combines future and classical elements.

Can't wait to properly hear the album. She performed every track except for Fallen Alien when I saw the Magdalene show over the summer and it sounded incredible. I was worried we'd never get to hear the new tracks after twigs premiered new songs that never saw the light of day during her Radiant Me² and Soundtrack 7 shows.

Hopefully the Magdalene show will come back to Europe after the album release. It was an incredible work of art featuring pole and sword dancing + more, and it would be great to experience it while knowing the tracks.