Thread: Deezer going forward with User Centric Payment System

Superstar
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)

by » Wed September 11th, 2019, 12:48

https://www.deezer.com/ucps

In today's world, market share impacts how much artists and content creators get paid.

With UCPS, the money you pay only goes to the artists you love and listen to.

In today's world, market share impacts how much artists and content creators get paid.

With UCPS, the money you pay only goes to the artists you love and listen to.

At Deezer, fair music distribution means:

Reducing unfair revenue gaps that come from applying old ways of thinking to digital music.

Today, 18-25 year olds represent 19% of all Deezer subscribers, but generate 24% of total royalties. UCPS helps us get rid of this imbalance.

Supporting local creators and niche genres
    Whether you're a fan of sertanejo, jazz, classical, disco or metal, the music you stream helps the artists you love.

Promoting a diverse and vibrant music landscape
    Our mission is to help all artists, no matter how big they are, to be successful and reach more fans. Finally, every stream will make a real difference.

Fighting fraud
    With UCPS, fraudulent accounts will not add any weight when calculating royalties. This means that all the money goes to real artists.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Superstar
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)

by » Wed September 11th, 2019, 12:53

Hopefully other streaming services follow the suit. Deezer users can now check their profile to see how much money went to the artists they listen to and how much would've gone to them if UCPS was in effect. For July 96% from my account went to artists I did not listen to!!! I was shocked to see that. So only 4% from my account went to artists I want to support. With UCPS the money from my account would be divided to the Top 5 acts in following percentages:

#1 24% Madonna
    #2 11% Janet Jackson
    #3 8% Hot Chip
    #4 6% Rosalia
    #5 5% Kesha

Ugh, to think shit you don't listen to gets 96% of the money you pay for streaming service subscription... This will especially help so much artists with a small but loyal following. They will finally start getting what they deserve.

Legend
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

by » Wed September 11th, 2019, 13:34

This is really cool. I can actually move to Deezer for this.
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Manager
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

by » Wed September 11th, 2019, 13:52

Poor Medino she definitely needs your money with her fortune
    jks aside I agree, it's much needed to give more inside view on what artists are actually getting and that the money goes towards the artists you're listening to, especially those that don't get millions of streams anyway. Payments need to shift that not only the big labels are getting money out of it.
    Last edited by BeeBoy; Wed September 11th, 2019 at 13:54.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)

by » Wed September 11th, 2019, 14:13

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBoy View Post
    Poor Medino she definitely needs your money with her fortune

Madame X was fresh still. Based on my Last.fm Top 5 artists for August would be Lana, Xtina, Sleater-Kinney, Bon Iver, Hot Chip, so it's not always pure mainstream acts for me. Sleater and Hot Chip have pretty shitty streams so they don't get any money based on the way the royalties function now, and Hot Chip came out with an amazing album, one of the AOTY contenders for me and I would love if they would get my money instead of Drake, post malone, Ed Sheeran and other big streamers whose music I never play!

I truly hope this is a step in the right direction and Deezer doesn't get punished by big companies for this and reverts to the old ways. And I also hope streamers support this (either by switching or by campaigning for their services to do the same). I mean I knew that a small amount actually went to the artists I listen to, but damne! 4%??? It's probably Ariana, she's the only big streaming artists I play.

Legend
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Wed September 11th, 2019, 17:01

I must admit i didn't understand the current method of payment from Deezer's graph. But this article is more in-depth and also explains the proposal in more detail - it's to be trialed in France next year.
    https://musically.com/2019/09/11/dee...tric-payments/

Those with free accounts are already in a user-centric system, money from advertising goes directly to your streamed arttists. I couldn't check my account comparison, therefore. I've not used Deezer for a while and i've never had a paid subscription - only with Spotify did i have a paid one. But it sounds like a good move for independent and new artists.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

by » Wed September 11th, 2019, 18:01

This is so much more realistic than the general pooling. Kids that stream 25hrs a day can shift the pools so much, yet are only contributing one subscription fee (or part of a subscription fee on a family plan). I feel like the discrepancy between models would be larger than 5% on Apple Music and Spotify.