Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Request: UK singles Physical chart

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Mon September 23rd, 2019, 10:18

Hi
    Does anyone have the Physical singles charts around 2005?
    There is a hole on the official website. A few months are missed.
    Thanks

by Mon September 23rd, 2019, 19:15

Quote Originally Posted by freeme View Post
    Hi
    Does anyone have the Physical singles charts around 2005?
    There is a hole on the official website. A few months are missed.
    Thanks
    I think in 2005 the main UK singles chart was mostly still comprised of physical sales and they had only just started incorporating downloads into the chart in that same year. So there was no separate physical chart back then.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by Mon September 23rd, 2019, 21:24

What months in 2005 are missing from the OCC archive?

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Mon September 23rd, 2019, 22:30

From April to Sept/October.
    A big part is missing.. Also rnb, downloads..

Superstar
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by Tue September 24th, 2019, 00:43

There are some Physical Singles Sales chart from 2005 in the UKMix UK Charts Analysis archive. Sadly the posting of the charts, a regular feature at first stopped the week after it stops in the OCC archive (late April 2005). However there are a couple of charts I have found:

Top 40: https://www.ukmix.org/showthread.php...-04-2005/page2

the chart doesn't appear for a number of weeks despite numerous requests to post it. Eventually Hanboo posts one chart:

https://www.ukmix.org/showthread.php...-07-2005/page2

After that I can't find any further Physical Sales chart despite again numerous requests for Hanboo to post it. If only he had, they would all have been in the archive. Music Week did publish them but I think at the time the chart was only available on the website (it did appear in the magazine at some point, I do still have all print copies of the magazine from 2005 and can check to see if they are there but I don't have them in any sort of database to post them up here). However the chart was dropped from the website a couple of years later and the archive was removed.

Hopefully kingofskiffle has the missing ones in his database as he did post the chart for a few weeks in the Chart Analysis thread in April 2005.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Superstar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

by Tue September 24th, 2019, 15:10

I did have them at one point but I cant locate the file right now. I removed them from my database a while ago as it was getting too large. They will return to it when and if I locate where I put the file!
    http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
    Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Mon September 30th, 2019, 10:11

Quote Originally Posted by mjgm84 View Post
    I think in 2005 the main UK singles chart was mostly still comprised of physical sales and they had only just started incorporating downloads into the chart in that same year. So there was no separate physical chart back then.
    I think the chart already started. For example We Belong Together was #1 on phisical and #2 on the main chart.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by Mon September 30th, 2019, 18:37

Quote Originally Posted by freeme View Post
    I think the chart already started. For example We Belong Together was #1 on phisical and #2 on the main chart.
    This is correct. From the week downloads were incorporated into the main Singles chart the OCC also compiled separate Physical Sales and Download charts.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Wed October 2nd, 2019, 12:58

I came across this gap ages ago and wondered why it existed, as the records cannot be that hard to obtain. I remember reading the physical chart (I think a Top 30 or maybe it began as a 40?) most weeks in MW throughout '05 and beyond but didn't take any record of them as I had no means - not even a very good phone camera back then! Sometimes we don't know what will prove to be of interest in years to come when we read it contemporaneously. Again this is poor on the part of the OCC who surely could easily have unearthed the original MWs and uploaded it - nobody could be arsed, I suppose.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by Wed October 2nd, 2019, 22:42

I've just looked at a handful of Music Week issues from mid 2005 and they all contain the Top 40 Physical Singles charts. For some reason I thought they were only available at musicweek.com. I tried to scan one chart but trying to scan a magazine that is larger than my A4 scanner meant the outcome wasn't very good and it took three attempts (and turning the magazine upside down) to get even a half-decent scan.

Perhaps someone could contact the OCC? They will have the missing charts in their database. I don't know why they are missing from the archive.

The one chart I scanned (from Music Week issue 6 August 2005) can be downloaded from https://www.pdf-archive.com/2019/10/02/ps-06-08-05/ . The Download chart (I managed to fit in the top 18!) is for the previous week. Back then the new Download chart was published after Music Week had been printed so the chart was always a week out of date.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Thu October 3rd, 2019, 22:25

I contact OCC also other people. Never had any answer.

So if you have it how can we halp you?
    Maybe you can take pics and I can re-write in a topic.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by Thu October 3rd, 2019, 23:16

I'll try to find a way to scan them in as short a time as possible - perhaps when I've done a few I might find a method that works well within the limitations of my scanner v the page size of the magazine. The scans are most likely not going to be great (e.g. they are not likely to be lined up properly and looking neat and tidy) but if you're OK with that I'll give it a go.

I could try taking pics but I think those would turn out even worse!

Just so I can get all the Music Week issues to hand that are needed what are the exact chart dates (using a Saturday week ending date) for the Physical Singles chart that are missing from the OCC archive? I think it's roughly the end of April to some point in September but the exact from and to dates would ensure that I scan all the missing charts.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Fri October 4th, 2019, 16:12

I remember the download chart was first announced on a Wednesday, despite having been compiled from data during the previous then-traditional Sunday-to-Saturday survey week. I never really understood why that chart had to be delayed and so couldn't be made available in time for the Monday MW printing day. This seemed especially-odd after 23 Apr '05 when some download data was included in the compilation of the main singles chart, which was made available as usual on the Sunday after the survey week!

Robbie - just checked the OCC site and the first physical chart available after the hiatus is W/E 10 Sep '05 - all entries are listed as 'new' or 're', and a check on 3 Sep just brings up the 10 Sep chart, which I think both confirm this is the first return to normality after the gap.
    Last edited by Gambo; Fri October 4th, 2019 at 16:18.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by Fri October 4th, 2019, 20:03

^
    Thanks. Hopefully I can make a start tomorrow.

The reason why the Download chart was delayed back then was that Radio 1 had exclusive rights to the chart, presumably broadcast rights and possibly publication rights on the Radio 1 website? Radio 1 had been broadcasting the Download chart since September 2004 and for whatever reason the chart was announced on a Wednesday. At some point in 2005 Radio 1 stopped broadcasting the Download chart but I think Music Week still printed the chart from the week previous for a while after this.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Sat October 5th, 2019, 09:22

So initially at least it was to avoid spoiling the exclusivity of the R1 broadcast? Interesting. I assume that was set as a Wednesday purely to suit their scheduling plans at that time. After the DL chart became defunct as a radio show I guess MW just carried on as they had been, one week behind. All they needed to do was publish two DL charts in one issue of course, but that would've required some executive thought, and even by then it was apparent that journalistic standards at the mag weren't what they had been. Same kind of inexperienced and under-educated juniors that seem to be running the OCC's media now.

Thanks for fixing this hole Robbie. The chart company might not be bothered about it but people here at UKM are grateful!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by Sat October 5th, 2019, 14:45

I've scanned the Physical Singles top 40 charts from 7 May 2005 to 3 September 2005. It didn't take as long as I thought it might, just over 30 minutes from start of scanning to uploading of the PDF file. The task was made easier by listening to the top 20 from this week in 1979 which is currently playing on Pick Of The Pops on Radio 2...

As I posted previously, it's not going to be the best quality and it isn't helped by the page size of the magazine being too big for my scanner for it to be able to scan the entire page.

https://www.pdf-archive.com/2019/10/...5-to-03-09-05/

Superstar
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by Sat October 5th, 2019, 14:51

I've just noticed that Music Week didn't publish the new Physical singles chart in the issue dated 21 May 2005. The one in the magazine (and the scan) is a repeat of that from the previous week. Also the chart of 2 July 2005 has a problem with the last week positions - five singles were apparently previously at number 2...

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Sun October 6th, 2019, 13:35

Not your fault that the MW team couldn't prepare charts properly Robbie! Thanks for scanning these.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

by Sun October 6th, 2019, 21:12

I see to recall Yahoo posting these at some stage. Wondering if they are on the WayBack Machine? I’m still looking for the file and would be horrified if I had deleted it... I know I had it at some stage. I have chart runs for the 2006 period because I made a book out of it at the time but don’t quite know where 2005 went. I feel sure I ended up with something for that misprinted chart and it must have been an online search. Hence thinking of WayBack Machine.
    http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
    Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Superstar
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by Sun October 6th, 2019, 22:35

^
    Is the book you're referring to that you made titled The Chart Book 2007 which you describe as listing every chart hit from the Singles, Download, EP and Compilation Album Charts? If so you sent me a PDF version of it back in May 2007. I rediscovered the PDF a few years ago while looking for something on a backup DVD I had made of various documents I had on a computer when I was about to buy a new one. The value of keeping old backups. Amazingly I still have the backup DVD though the computer bit the dust over a decade ago.

It's a great book, 590 pages packed full of chart information. No actual chart runs but an A-Z listing of every act / record to make the Singles, Physical Singles, Download Singles, EP and Compilation charts along with peak positions and weeks on chart.

You do mention in the book that the full Top 250 Physical Singles chart for the chart dated 1 October 2005 was posted on the internet after being sent out by mistake by the OCC (you don't mention where it was sent) and from that you were able to obtain 189 positions for the previous week. I didn't realise that the OCC compiled a top 250 Physical Singles chart as well as an overall top 250 chart in this period. Maybe those were the only two Physical Singles charts larger than a top 40 that you had? Every other chart you mention where there were anomalies relates to the Music Week published top 40 / 30.