Thread: The Apprentice 2019

Legend
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)

by Mon September 30th, 2019, 18:02

One of the telly highlights of the year is back on Wednesday!

Line-up can be seen in full here: https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/realit...tes-announced/

Legend
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)

by Wed October 2nd, 2019, 22:00

The tours were tragic, I swear a dozen 11 year olds could’ve done better. Why would you do a safari and not know any facts about the animals, and the women bickering within two minutes is so standard.

That Cockney bloke is gonna be a nightmare. When he almost called Lord Sugar “Sir Alan”

Superstar
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

by Thu October 3rd, 2019, 19:42

I used to enjoy watching this but i really do feel like it's past its sell by date.

I didn't even watch it last night but having checked out their photos in the Digital Sky link, i feel like i already know exactly what they're like just from their poses.

Legend
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)

by Thu October 3rd, 2019, 21:26

This new batch looks like they are all made from the same mould. Horrible people, and there's nobody that I could even remotely root for. Only two stand out, the Cockney guy and the one doing something with womenswear.
    Last year, at least there were three that were somehow entertaining and intriguing; that guy who held professional speeches, the one with the anti-hangover sachets, and that one aspiring director guy.
    The tours were horrible. Even considering that they were all novices at this task, how is it possible they didn't prepare themselves properly and cover all or most, eventualities? I know that they are not allowed to use electronic devices (internet, etc.), but still. It's pathetic some call themselves project leaders/managers!
    Anyhow, the show had its super cringe moments but was mostly enjoyable.
    Karren and Claude's facial expressions are priceless! Lord Sugar's comments are so awkwardly scripted. They should work on this issue.

Legend
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)

by Thu October 3rd, 2019, 21:48

The cast list is very generic and gone are the days when people with actual business sense made it on... they’re basically all made to look like imbeciles for six weeks until suddenly a few of them have a breakthrough that shows a smidgen of ability so they’re able to justify the finalists as being capable. It was so much better before the “business plan” days, when it was an actual job role.

That said, it’s still great TV.

Legend
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

by Thu October 3rd, 2019, 22:49

Lottie talking over the person who worked at the winery while showing off her knowledge of wine . Absolutely insufferable.

The opening episode was the usual fun car crash TV.

Legend
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

by Sat October 5th, 2019, 22:03

The standard this year seems shocking - like seriously, I'm sure one of them is a Sales Consultant? Call me snobby but surely the show can do better than that?!

First challenge was a disaster - when the Rhinos were there and the tour guide said they were elephants...smh.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

by Sat October 5th, 2019, 23:01

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    The standard this year seems shocking - like seriously, I'm sure one of them is a Sales Consultant? Call me snobby but surely the show can do better than that?!

First challenge was a disaster - when the Rhinos were there and the tour guide said they were elephants...smh.
    *facepalm*

I can't remember which series it was but i distinctly remember being astonished when one of the female contestants asked that burning question "do the french love their children?". Safe to say my interest in the show nosedived after that - i'm almost sure these contestants are coached on what to say by the producers before they even start filming.

Or maybe these contestants really are both shallow and incredibly stupid.

Legend
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

by Sat October 5th, 2019, 23:35

Thomas is dreadful, he's going to get worse and worse I feel, he rubbed me up from the initial boardroom introduction where he was laid right back like he couldn't give a toss.

Legend
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)

by Wed October 9th, 2019, 21:56

What another silly task.

Cheesy cola lolly? Christ. She deserved firing just for that suggestion.

Why would you stuff flowers into a lolly? At least they didn’t look like willies

That Ryan-Mark is well annoying, what a w*nker. One of the women is a librarian?!

It looked like Junior Apprentice with those final three sat in the boardroom.

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

by Fri October 11th, 2019, 12:07

Quote Originally Posted by JakeP View Post
    *facepalm*

I can't remember which series it was but i distinctly remember being astonished when one of the female contestants asked that burning question "do the french love their children?". Safe to say my interest in the show nosedived after that - i'm almost sure these contestants are coached on what to say by the producers before they even start filming.

Or maybe these contestants really are both shallow and incredibly stupid.
    Ironically that was Susan Ma who is one of the actual capable candidates and I think I'm right in saying the only non winner to go into business with Lord Sugar. I think she still is and it's one of the most successful Apprentice ventures!

Those days it was a fun watch. These days it's so hard to view, I always get the feeling they are being made out to be mugs and editing and production interference is too much. All these shows fail the less organic they get.

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

by Fri October 11th, 2019, 12:07

Oh and Thomas, Lottie and Ryan-Mark are ALL insufferable.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

by Fri October 11th, 2019, 12:47

Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron View Post
    I always get the feeling they are being made out to be mugs and editing and production interference is too much.
    This line alone hits the nail on the head. I've seen this happen with so many shows but in most cases the producer interference is so blatantly obvious it tarnishes the show.

It's nothing but a parody of its former self now and that's what i find most disappointing about these shows. They've totally lost grip with what made the shows successful and popular in the first place.

Manager
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

by Fri October 11th, 2019, 22:21

I still really enjoy it if I'm honest
    3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!

Legend
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)

by Fri October 11th, 2019, 22:52

This was so terribly bad and it got more and more absurd by every passing minute.
    Cringe-worthy TV gold!
    The guy who got fired's business plan was (and probably still is) vegan booze lollies!

Legend
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

by Fri October 11th, 2019, 23:01

It does get more ridiculous every year but it is still one of my very favourite shows on TV and I do get excited for it being on. I am shocked how much people pay for ice lollies!! You can get a box of them for a quid at Iceland!!

I think Carina seems most switched on for me early on, Riyonn is the worst spelling of Ryan I have ever seen. Thomas did well this week, I didn't hate him as much as I did last week.

Manager
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

by Fri October 11th, 2019, 23:37

Quote Originally Posted by SholasBoy View Post
    It does get more ridiculous every year but it is still one of my very favourite shows on TV and I do get excited for it being on. I am shocked how much people pay for ice lollies!! You can get a box of them for a quid at Iceland!!

I think Carina seems most switched on for me early on, Riyonn is the worst spelling of Ryan I have ever seen. Thomas did well this week, I didn't hate him as much as I did last week.
    I agree. I still get excited
    3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!

Legend
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)

by Wed October 16th, 2019, 21:28

Thomas and his awful turtle “IT’S YOUR FRIEND! IT GIVES YOU POSITIVE MESSAGES!”

My Little Unicorn is also pretty useless.

Legend
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)

by Wed October 16th, 2019, 21:30

Aisha’s voice is so irritating, who does she sound like?!

Legend
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)

by Yesterday, 21:31

I thought the turtle was cute; useless but cute. Additional points for the extra glove that comes with it! #TommyTheTalkingTurtle
    Souleyman should not have been fired or at least the weak project leader (campy Riyonn) should have left with him. If you cannot properly handle and deal with a nay-sayer than you are not up for the job.

Legend
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)

by Yesterday, 21:49

It was probably the edit but he was the most negative contestant in ages.