Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever Stopped Being Someone's Fan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Fri October 11th, 2019, 07:45

Hello everyone,,
    Just thought it'd be interesting to see if anyone has ever stopped being an artist's fan/supporting them, and if so, why?

By being a fan/supporting an artist I don't mean necessarily being a fan in the hysterical sense of the word, just buying an artist's music and following ufa their career would be sufficient.

Also, would be good to hear stories of when you've stopped liking someone not just because you didn't like their new songs or because you grew out of their type of music, but when something more dramatic has happened to make you stop buying an artist's music,i.e. met them in person and didn't like them, went to a concert and it was crap, something they said in the media....

Personally I'm sure I've changed my mind about several people, but for starters an obvious one - Sandi Thom. However, my interest in her didn't last long to begin with, in fact just bought her debut single and thought "this is quite promising" but then all the hype (or accusation of it?) killed it for me. In fact feel quite sorry to see her recent single and album flop in such spectacular fashion...!
    Another pretty big one for me was Spice Girls - loved them from 1996 onwards, then heard "Headlines" and saw several promotional appearances for the reunion and it just came mega false and sad for me - to the extent that now I'm just glad to see them split again.
    (However, as a result I do like Mel B for some reason - still can't stand the rest though).
    Last edited by Nigan; Wed October 16th, 2019 at 10:01.

Legend
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)

by » Fri October 11th, 2019, 20:54

Never really.

When I really like an artist, maybe I won't like everything they will release in the future. But I am very loyal.
    My Instagram... - Click here

Roadie
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

by » Fri October 11th, 2019, 21:00

I guess I did stop listening to Coldplay at some point...
    The sands of time fade into dark
    Feel your pulse it's groove o'clock
    A message to madness
    Feel music that's realness

Personal Assistant
    Germany, NRW, in the middle of the Ruhrgebiet
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Fri October 11th, 2019, 21:05

Happened quite often to me to be fair.

Natasha Bedingfield is the latest example. I was absolutely obsessed about her first three albums. Now she finally released another album, I was hyped to the max when she finally announced it. But I listened 3 times to the album.. I just grew out of her music I guess... doesn't bother me anymore.

I never stopped being a fan of these first three albums though.
    Music is the blood in my veins

Feel free to add me to your friends list :-)

Superstar
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

by » Fri October 11th, 2019, 21:47

Duffy is possibly my biggest example of this. I loved her debut album which i even bought not long after Warwick avenue became a single. I'd loved her first three singles by that point.

Then along came Rain on your parade and i wasn't exactly keen on the track. It just seemed to get worse from there onwards and ultimately i lost interest in Duffy as an artist by the time the second album came out.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

by » Fri October 11th, 2019, 22:21

I used to be a huge Lady Gaga stan in her prime 2008-2013.
    The first four years I stanned her so hard to the point where I collected articles about her and had one wall filled with posters of her (the other wall was for Britney lol). I bought her albums, her live DVD and even some singles.

The end of the "Born This Way" era was disappointing.
    Then the "ARTPOP" era came and I loved the album & the two music videos but the tour was cringy as hell and some other stuff she did that era wasn’t my thing either.
    "Cheek to Cheek" came and I was like wtf is she doing?
    When "Perfect Illusion" was released I didn’t even bother to listen to the song immediately and when I did I didn’t like it at all and the video was boring as hell. Then she released the "Joanne" album cover and it was so bland and there was nothing Gaga about it.
    She wasn’t "Gaga" for a long time before that already but the Joanne era was another level of boring. Then the album disappointed me.

In 2017 I thought I could stan her again when she released "The Cure" but I got tired of that song really quick. Last year I had tickets for the Joanne Tour and I couldn’t go but I didn’t even care to be honest.
    "A Star Is Born" was pretty much "Joanne" all over again and she was pretty cringy that entire era. I liked her MET appearance this year though.

I think you could say I haven’t been a fan since 2014 but I never completely lost interest in her. I‘m not obsessed with her as a person and performer anymore but I‘m still trying to give her music a chance every time.

Legend
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

by » Fri October 11th, 2019, 23:04

I think Mariah is the one I've had the biggest change on, I really REALLY loved her in the 90s and was still a fan through the 00s, but I just struggle with her in recent years.

Legend
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)

by » Sun October 13th, 2019, 16:42

I actually used to really enjoy Ed Sheeran during his first two albums, but since Divide he’s been the devil incarnate.

Legend
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

by » Sun October 13th, 2019, 16:50

I liked J.Lo once upon a time but I stopped once more disturbing details started coming to light about how she was trying to sabotage Kween + her inauthenticity as a musician
    Quote Originally Posted by SawyerHewitt View Post
    There's only one GOAT in our dictionaries and ppl should look it up.
    Best song ever written and sung, that is WBT. Periodt.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)

by » Sun October 13th, 2019, 17:01

Gaga. I loved her during The Fame + BTW. Yes, she was weird and awkward and often came off as entitled/shade queen but she was kind of charming as in a young blood/new inexperienced girl trying to deal with fame and pop culture and huge success in a short amount of time. Plus music and videos - were great and still are.

Then came FARTPOP. Granted it has some really great songs, but most of it is complete unlistenable mess for me. And that was the era where her antics became offputting. She wasn't new anymore and she felt a bit forced and fake for the first time. Joanne only solidified that. That interview in the family restaurant where she cries about Joanne is one of the most laughable and forced things I've ever seen. And it feels that everything she does is completely calculated and fake and devoid of any authenticity.

I did enjoy The Cure though.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Superstar
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

by » Sun October 13th, 2019, 17:01

Usually when I go through my last.fm library or my Instagram account where I post my CDs and vinyl collection, I realize how many artist 'lost' me, how much interest I have lost in them.

1) Christina Aguilera
    she was one of my favorite artists when I got into discovering other music than Madonna. From 2007 on to early 2010, she was one of my most played artists.
    I also loved 'Not Myself Tonight' but yeah, definitely lost me with 'Bionic'. That album is nothing less than tragic, not even the three songs that are good can save this mess. So I also lost my interest in her, I didn't even watch Burlesque that only came out a few months after 'Bionic', haven't bought anything by her since 'Bionic' either.
    I only remember one song past-Bionic: 'Your Body', which IS a bop.

This year, I got the chance to see her live as she performed at a Jazz festival in my city and tickets were pretty cheap.
    I did think maybe that will get me become more interested in her.
    The concert was good but the low of the show was definitely when she was singing her "most recent" songs, what has she become?
    I discovered 'Let There Be Love', though. That one is a nice song,aswell.

2) Cher
    similiar story like the Xtina one, back in 2008-2010 one of my most played artist. Then I discovered more andm ore artists and realized although she has quite a few amazing songs, it's not really something I need to listen to all the time.
    Kinda stopped listening to her at that point, aswell. From time to time maybe a song, but that's it.

3) Robbie Williams
    Probably the first male artist I ever became a fan of, couldn't care less about him today, though. The last good thing he did, in my books, is 'Take The Crown', especially 'Be A Boy'. Oh, wait 'Love My Life' was amazing, too but it didn't even made me check out the album it is included on.

and then artists where I was a fan during one/two respective eras but lost me on the way...

Ke$ha (Animal era), Ellie Goulding (Halcyon Days era), Lorde (Pure Heroine era).

cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Superstar
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)

by » Sun October 13th, 2019, 17:04

Quote Originally Posted by luckyONE View Post
    I realize how many artist 'lost' me
    1) Christina Aguilera
    I don't know if you did this on purpose but a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyONE View Post
    I also loved 'Not Myself Tonight' but yeah, definitely lost me with 'Bionic'. That album is nothing less than tragic
    Justice for Bionic!
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

by » Sun October 13th, 2019, 17:04

I've been thinking about this for a while and I don't think I stopped being a fan ever.
    The artists that I became a fan of have been generally consistent and I'm quite loyal to my fave artists 'in return'.
    To be fair, the list of artists I love is not very long and it's more likely that older artists will join the list while I backtrack on their discography instead of newer artists.
    My first 'love' was Mariah Carey when I was 7 and Brandy followed when her debut came out.
    I think my true "stan list" where I love every album would be:

Mariah Carey
    Brandy
    Tori Amos
    Lana del Rey
    Kate Bush
    Joni Mitchell
    Joanna Newsom
    Björk

All females, but I prefer female vocals to male.
    Last edited by Hejira; Sun October 13th, 2019 at 19:10.
    "You can build a new heart and a new house
    Gonna take some time but things will turn out
    So much of everything will be waiting for you..."

https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeveren-1

Legend
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

by » Sun October 13th, 2019, 19:37

When I look at my fav acts of the 00s,I hardly even remember to check them out or even show interest in whatever they upto.

1 Pussycat Dolls
    2 T-Pain
    3 JaRule
    4 Keyshia Cole
    5 Shaggy
    6 Amerie
    7 Chris Brown

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

by » Sun October 13th, 2019, 20:33

There's usually this one bad album that makes me lose interest in an artist's discography and I'm waiting for that album to win me back. Unfortunately, once an artist releases a bad album, they struggle to come up with something noteworthy again. I used to collect all P!nk albums up to 'The Truth About Love', all Christina Aguilera albums up to 'Bionic', all Lady Gaga albums up to 'ArtPop', all Oonagh albums up to 'Märchen enden gut'. Tokio Hotel (I was a big fan back in the day) lost me after 'Zimmer 483'; Mumford & Sons lost me with their shift from folk to alternative rock. I stopped losing interest in Britney Spears' music after 'Circus', but she won me back with 'Glory'. Madonna's latest album hasn't really pleased me the way I expected it to, so she needs to put in some more effort into her next record if she wants me to continue buying her albums-
    ~ representing the LBC ~

Legend
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)

by » Sun October 13th, 2019, 21:39

P!nk lost me a bit the last years, I also think of David Guetta and Gaga disappointed me as well after Artpop.
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

by » Sun October 13th, 2019, 22:43

Gwen Stefani. I was a huge huge fan during the first two eras but when she returned with baby dont lie and other generic farts i completely lost interest. She obvs lost all creativity.

Legend
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)

by » Mon October 14th, 2019, 19:36

Yeah P!nk has gone massively downhill, I stanned her a lot during M!ssundaztood and Try This but her last two eras have on the whole been dire.

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

by » Mon October 14th, 2019, 19:48

Madonna when she flops. Then somehow she regain my love.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

by » Mon October 14th, 2019, 19:52

Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy View Post
    Madonna when she flops. Then somehow she regain my love.
    You stop stanning when the artists flops?

Legend
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

by » Mon October 14th, 2019, 19:57

Quote Originally Posted by Hejira View Post
    As do most people, hence the flop.
    Quote Originally Posted by SawyerHewitt View Post
    There's only one GOAT in our dictionaries and ppl should look it up.
    Best song ever written and sung, that is WBT. Periodt.

Legend
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

by » Mon October 14th, 2019, 19:59

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney View Post
    True

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

by » Mon October 14th, 2019, 20:00

Quote Originally Posted by Hejira View Post
    Yeah. The only artist i won't stop stan is Ed Sheeran.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

by » Mon October 14th, 2019, 20:01

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney View Post
    It depends on how one would define the term 'flop'. When people say someone flopped it's usually got to do with chart performance and bad sales. Plenty hang on to that more than actual quality of the material and quality is debatable, comes down to taste.
    I don't link my fandom to the level of succes of the artist.

Legend
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

by » Mon October 14th, 2019, 20:01

Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy View Post
    Yeah. The only artist i won't stop stan is Ed Sheeran.
    How long is your nose?